Login

russian armor

Ideas of radio "Maphack" change

7 Mar 2014, 05:02 AM

While there is radio intercept, there must be a tactic shouting out false information to the listener.

- Increasing CP of radio is just boring.
- 50% of successful radio intercept? RNG God fuck off from this please.

So instead of the radio saying German unit A is arrived, how about saying unit A is currently build / calling in? The tactic against radio intercept is spamming out false information. Won't it be fun the Ostheer player spamming building orders and cancel, making the Soviet player need to guess WTF is going on? :)
7 Mar 2014, 05:31 AM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

LOL that's a funny suggestion to a try to turn a poorly designed ability into something, um, how to say it... passable?
7 Mar 2014, 05:52 AM

inb4 script that automatically builds and cancels pios periodically to spam the notification feed
7 Mar 2014, 08:03 AM

Yeah I don't like this at all. It would make the ability pretty useless. All you would know is that the german is building a unit, which while somewhat useful doesn't provide much information. And it wouldn't be fun at all for either player, all it would be is a pointless apm dump for the german player just to get back onto even footing with the soviets. It's a cool idea for single player or ToW but for competitive multiplayer it just becomes a worthless ability for the soviet player and a hassle for the german.

I think the ability would be fine if it was moved to 1 cp and didn't show the location of bunkers/mines when they're built. The major problems with Intercept are knowing where tellers are (it's already possible to see where S mines are lolololol) and being able to push off and counter the first german engagement due to knowing the german unit comp/order. Intercept would still be good mid-late game for knowing when the 251 is gonna hit or which tank is coming out first which makes the ability still potent without making it too powerful or breaking core elements of CoH.
7 Mar 2014, 08:43 AM

Yeah I don't like this at all. It would make the ability pretty useless. All you would know is that the german is building a unit, which while somewhat useful doesn't provide much information. And it wouldn't be fun at all for either player, all it would be is a pointless apm dump for the german player just to get back onto even footing with the soviets. It's a cool idea for single player or ToW but for competitive multiplayer it just becomes a worthless ability for the soviet player and a hassle for the german.

I think the ability would be fine if it was moved to 1 cp and didn't show the location of bunkers/mines when they're built. The major problems with Intercept are knowing where tellers are (it's already possible to see where S mines are lolololol) and being able to push off and counter the first german engagement due to knowing the german unit comp/order. Intercept would still be good mid-late game for knowing when the 251 is gonna hit or which tank is coming out first which makes the ability still potent without making it too powerful or breaking core elements of CoH.

It won't make it useless. It just giving Ostheer an option to spam trash info to the "Maphacker", if the Soviet player is experienced enough, he will know which one is the true order, according to his army combination and Ostheer unit combination, but not brainless like now, OH SHIT, he got 251, I need to get AT nade and plant some mine at once.
7 Mar 2014, 10:28 AM

It won't make it useless. It just giving Ostheer an option to spam trash info to the "Maphacker", if the Soviet player is experienced enough, he will know which one is the true order, according to his army combination and Ostheer unit combination, but not brainless like now, OH SHIT, he got 251, I need to get AT nade and plant some mine at once.

Your suggestion to add trash info would just make the ability the same as basic game sense. I know if an Ost goes T2 chances are hes getting pgrens or a halftrack, if he can spam false info and it tells me:

Ostheer player building: 251
Ostheer player building: Pgren

I'm exactly in the same position as I was before if I didn't have the ability at all.

The only useful info that radio intercept would give me is when the German techs up tiers, which is slightly useful, but would take over tank traps spot as the least worthwhile ability.

And it would make the ability a noob trap, those who didn't know about the possibility to spam fake orders would be a distinct disadvantage to those that do. Or noobs that use the ability and don't realize they are getting fake orders would be equally as fucked.
7 Mar 2014, 11:18 AM

inb4 script that automatically builds and cancels pios periodically to spam the notification feed

Too bad the notifications arrive on unit/building completion.
7 Mar 2014, 14:34 PM

Can you actually read?
7 Mar 2014, 15:00 PM

Permanently Banned
Maybe limit the amount of information it can provide. For example, make it go on a cool down once it triggers. Once the cooldown completes, the passive ability resumes.
7 Mar 2014, 15:04 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

Its a badly designed ability. The only way to balance it is make it come late enough that it doesnt matter.
7 Mar 2014, 16:09 PM

The only thing I would change is the removal of the mini map pings. Other than that it's a perfectly fine ability.
7 Mar 2014, 16:40 PM

That wasn't his idea brochacho, please read the OP fully lol.
7 Mar 2014, 18:38 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

But it could be rather a buff on radio intercept. I mean, you would get the intel seconds earlier before the unit arrives (normally without false intel).

Early game wont change anything (you would be just delaying your troops on the field by canceling and he just needs to read the last sentence)

Anyway, just build barbwire.
7 Mar 2014, 18:40 PM

just remove the notification of mines,done. Radio intercept is a nice ability.
7 Mar 2014, 20:01 PM

Nothing wrong with the ability, can even give mine notifications, maybe don't flash where they r on the map and its all good.
7 Mar 2014, 20:10 PM

Radio intercept should only alert you about teching/troop builds every 5 minutes into the game, that way there's a delay on knowing what you're opponent might be up to.
7 Mar 2014, 20:16 PM
Admin Black Badge
Patrion 15

It's a poorly designed ability because there is zero skill involved and zero decision-making.

1. Buy commander
2. Select commander 1s into game
3. Get maphacks

Us trying to brainstorm ways to improve it or fix it is a bit absurd.

I've been pushing for a pure scouting unit since Beta, so a player could wrestle with TrueSight (which is a nice new feature) to gain their own intel using their own micro skill and tactical awareness. Something like a cloakable ketten from COH1 that can't cap.
7 Mar 2014, 20:25 PM

i wouldn't say theres zero skill involved, ok so you know hes got a PZ IV,so a good player can make the good decision of making a field gun, and a bad player would instead get for example shock troopers. It doesn't give you a counter, if you struggle for example againts a flamenwerfer,then you will still struggle againts it, you will just know that one is coming.
7 Mar 2014, 20:38 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Donator 11

Part of the STRATEGY of the game is build order surprises. OK, you just rushed T3 and are thinking you'll surprise him with a fast X unit, WRONG, Maphax engaged. He knew minutes ago you were fast teching and is already building the correct counter. Its so skillful! lol

Anyone thinking its a fine ability is off their rocker.
7 Mar 2014, 20:38 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post7 Mar 2014, 20:25 PMBurts
i wouldn't say theres zero skill involved, ok so you know hes got a PZ IV,so a good player can make the good decision of making a field gun, and a bad player would instead get for example shock troopers. It doesn't give you a counter, if you struggle for example againts a flamenwerfer,then you will still struggle againts it, you will just know that one is coming.

I think he meant there's no skill involved in obtaining the information provided by radio intercept. What the player does with that information is a whole other matter.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight