Login

russian armor

Finally some balance, what to do now?

13 Mar 2014, 03:45 AM

Remember good leaders are not necessary good 1vs1 players but good team players that LOVE helping other players and will do ANYTHING for the community to thrive both ingame and outgame.

Well said. However, you do have to take into account that this game cares nothing for team games as it does nothing to scale them appropriately. They marketed this game on launch as a 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, AND 4v4 experience as if they were all equal, but I'm pretty sure we know they're not (I doubt anyone who's played vCoH or the beta expected it to be, but you can't say the same for newcomers).

Moreover, aside from 2v2, this game doesn't even promote teamwork in its team games (and in 2v2 you only see some forced teamwork because Soviets need to split tech/commanders and Germans need to split T3/T4). It's just Panther spam or Mark Target spam for the win (the latter being if the Soviets don't just utterly get crushed regardless).

The game itself doesn't promote any of the cooperation that you were referring to and you can't fault the playerbase for not forcing it themselves. You also can't fault 1v1 players for not giving the other player tips because let's face it, most people just aren't that nice. Just seeing a "gl hf" is already asking for a lot.
13 Mar 2014, 04:48 AM
Patrion 15

Something still needs to be done about Ostheer insta-squad wiping. The only time I've had a squad wiped in one shot as Soviets, is when it happens to my Engineers. That and when Railway Artillery successfully finds it's mark, but other than that Soviets are just too large and/or durable to wipe, in stark contrast to Ostheer.

I'd also like to see Ostheer get better grenades, the inverse of the above, Ostheer Grenades are overpriced for their effect. Assault Grenadiers are the worst perpetrator, they pay 45 mun for multiple grenades, which rarely kill more than 2 people maximum. Last night I had an engagement where my Shock Grenade killed 2 men far apart from each other, then his Rifle Grenade killed one Shock, then his Bundle Grenade killed one more. Oh those wacky communist Terminators.

Lastly, Molotovs should probably be disabled during suppression. It's a bit silly that you can still Oorah into an MG 42 and have a chance at winning anyway if you have more than one Conscript doing it. As Soviets, I rarely bother to do a full flank, because I can just do a partial flank and then Ooralotov.

These are my biggest issues as well. The Soviet squads are much more durable in the sense that it takes much more derping on the part of the player to actually lose one. For the love of god, please make molotovs disabled during suppression. I'm so tired of feeling cheap for running right into an mg42, going "oh shit!, well at least im in range of a molo....lol force retreat for both squads" Its just bad gameplay, and it looks silly.

I think a change to German squad wipes, and being able to assault an mg-42 from the front and throw a molotov while suppressed would go a long long way. Also, I think the MG-42 takes just a hair too long to initially target a squad.
13 Mar 2014, 04:54 AM
Patrion 15

-German Mines still need work, removing the signs would be good, reducing the damage and cost of the teller mines would also be useful
-The Stug is almost entirely useless
-Ram should just stun a crew, especially when its against Tigers
-Squad wipes for Ostheer are too much, if it can't be fixed then reduce the manpower cost for squads.
- German Doctrines are almost all 'meh' whereas the soviets have a far better selection to choose from.

The fundamental design problem with the germans is there is very little tactical flexibility, the soviets can come at the game in so many different ways.

Says the guy with ZERO soviet games played XD
13 Mar 2014, 06:18 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I don´t know what do you expect, at least ingame. Theres no point of comparison between EvE and COH2 or any other game which is not an MMO. By sheer number of players and gamedesign, you are forced to cooperate in order to suceed. If we depart from RPG, we can look at what Planetside 2 has done to promote or force playing at least as a "coordinated" zerg.

Besides some gentlement words such as Hi, gl hf and wp/gg and the end, what do you expect? I dont play random teamgames due to spamfest and little coordination n tools to do so, but is expectable that many people are just gonna blame others rather than themselves. It happens everywhere.

You also can't fault 1v1 players for not giving the other player tips because let's face it, most people just aren't that nice. Just seeing a "gl hf" is already asking for a lot.

+1
Negative comments only affects you if you let them do so (This is more a personality thing). If you are received with negative comments, just smile, wave and ignore it or put your nice guy mask and keep answering them with kind words. They either rage quit or end laughing due to the unexpected answer.

Also, ask yourselves, how many times have you seen German/Russian OP threads in comparison to How can i improve my game or How do i beat X strategy/opening? Most people aren´t willing to learn. They just want to derp around, thing is, i don´t see this game as an optimal one to do so.
13 Mar 2014, 13:43 PM

Nerf Elchino he is OP

And Festive it goes both ways how about a suppressed Rifle Nade doesnt kill four of my Maxim models? I think both sides would like this.

Also squad whipes on the German side are WAYYYY less then they have ever been by a long shot. IL2 wont do it to a full health squad anymore and Precsion strike is no better than a Guard Nade unlike it used to be. T34/T70s kill infantry slower than PPSH scripts now and cant kite units to death.

The only real things I have been able to do squad whipes with are:

Lucky Mine hit (But Ost mines do that to my scripts now too)
Lucky 120MM hit
IS2 sometimes
ISU152 alot more often

The last two I think should stay in the game seeing as they are supposed to be the pinnacle of soviet AI and cost as much. And the 120 MM can do without it if they lower the cost. Over all it gets less efficiency even with the occasional whipes then an 82MM.
14 Mar 2014, 12:17 PM

Personally I'd like to see the MG 42's arc of fire reduced to that of the MG Bunker, but increase the suppression and damage within the arc so people stop charging at the damn thing. Preferable increase damage substantially at close range so they stop hanging around to get that Molly off.
14 Mar 2014, 12:47 PM

As the newbie ... well I've 99hrs in now. I still really enjoy the game. I've only been playing random and as the Russians, until I feel I've a good understanding of them, then I plan on switching to the Germans. I am finding it hard to find any 1vs1 games but lots of team games. Some people are prone to verbal abuse to the new players or as soon as the battle goes the wrong way, they gather up their football and head home leaving you with the AI. I just ignore them. I'm here to play and help my team ... even a random team as best as I can. I wasn't a COH1 player so I don't have it to compare it with, but the reviews you see online are ... It's not as good as COH1, don't get it. I didn't play it ... I like the game. If Relic plan to keep tweaking the game play to make more enjoyable and fair, I'm in for the ride! I just hope it's statistical based and not whiney "my so-and-so got wiped by this change it"!
... and hey ... my stats are there for everyone to see ... I'm getting blasted, but I'm having fun!!
14 Mar 2014, 17:03 PM

Says the guy with ZERO soviet games played XD

Played both during the beta, decided I like the German side more and committed to only play one side in competitive automatch, I took the same strategy in COH1 and it kept me in the top 50 for the first 6 months of the game. I frequently play as soviets in custom matches to try out strats I have problems with to see which German counters work.

That aside, those remain the problems as I see it from a player with a German perspective.

1. Soviets have better mines, they have far more utility. Few would disagree
2. The Stug is useless, particularly when you match it against the SU-85 which is a far greater Tank destroyer for a very modest increase in price. Few would disagree with this analysis.
3. RNG. Tin Cans immobilizing Tiger Tanks with a roll of the dice. Few players would disagree with the RNG issues COH2 has.
4. Squad wipes being worse on the German side are a fact.
5. Tell me a German strategy and I'll tell you a soviet doctrine that will counter it, you simply can't say that from the other perspective because, with the exception of the Assault doctrine, German doctrines don't provide decisive counters to soviet tactics until well into the game e.g. the Elefant, Tiger.
14 Mar 2014, 17:23 PM

Assault Grenadiers also need something into the late-game. I don't see why they don't just add a passive buff that activates around 3CP or on T2 Building / T3 tech.

Ironic that the Germans issued more MP 40's to deal with the Soviet's heavy SMG usage, yet in this game, PPSh completely counters the AG's.
14 Mar 2014, 17:23 PM

1. Soviets have better mines, they have far more utility. Few would disagree
2. The Stug is useless, particularly when you match it against the SU-85 which is a far greater Tank destroyer for a very modest increase in price. Few would disagree with this analysis.
3. RNG. Tin Cans immobilizing Tiger Tanks with a roll of the dice. Few players would disagree with the RNG issues COH2 has.
4. Squad wipes being worse on the German side are a fact.
5. Tell me a German strategy and I'll tell you a soviet doctrine that will counter it, you simply can't say that from the other perspective because, with the exception of the Assault doctrine, German doctrines don't provide decisive counters to soviet tactics until well into the game e.g. the Elefant, Tiger.

1. s mines are a lot better now. but i do like the fact you can spam the soviet mine to easily disable vehicles. in that respect, soviet mines are still much better. teller/riegel mines are too expensive to easily spam, but would need a significant nerf if they were to be made cheaper.

2. stug isnt useless at all. su85 hard counters the stug. never build stugs against t4.

3. i do dislike 85 fuel tanks disabling 200 fuel tanks.

4. yep

5. this is just the way doctrines were designed. soviet doctrines provide way more call ins. your doc pretty much defines your strategy as soviets. german doctrines are more of a supplement.
14 Mar 2014, 18:02 PM

"3. i do dislike 85 fuel tanks disabling 200 fuel tanks."

I agree 100% the Stug shouldnt have Target weakpoint! I mean they beat up my poor IS2 with it!

Yuck Yuck Yuck
14 Mar 2014, 18:40 PM

what to do now? play and enjoy the game, simple as that.
Because sooner or later, relic will fuck up the balance again, and fix it again,then break it again,and then fix it again,until they completely fuck everything up again until eventually, say 2 years down the line, coh 2 will be BALANCED, and then it will shine in its full glory, just as much or even more than coh 1.
14 Mar 2014, 23:53 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Mar 2014, 18:40 PMBurts
, and then it will shine in its full glory, just as much or even more than coh 1.

no.
15 Mar 2014, 00:22 AM

Because sooner or later, relic will fuck up the balance again, and fix it again,then break it again,and then fix it again,until they completely fuck everything up again until eventually, say 2 years down the line, coh 2 will be BALANCED, and then it will shine in its full glory, just as much or even more than coh 1.

You mean like how CoH 1 did during the first year of balance tweaking, finally getting into a good spot, then releasing Brits+PE and going back into tweaking phase?
15 Mar 2014, 00:26 AM
Honorary Member Badge

You mean like how CoH 1 did after years of balance tweaking, finally getting into a good spot, then releasing Brits+PE and going back into tweaking phase?

wait years what were you smoking, OF was released 1 year after coh1...
15 Mar 2014, 00:56 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Mar 2014, 00:26 AMWiFiDi
wait years what were you smoking, OF was released 1 year after coh1...

I meant to use "years" for the entirety of CoH1's life, but then I decided to mention OF (which essentially reset balance) and forgot to change the first sentence. :P
17 Mar 2014, 08:51 AM

just as much or even more than coh 1.

Really? What, they balanced the game for PE also..?! When I left COH1 nearly 2 years ago, in 1v1 playing with PE was like going into hell and back, while playing with americans was like a walk in the park during spring time.
18 Mar 2014, 07:37 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Feb 2014, 13:01 PMSeb
Balance is not the core issue, Relic is usually good at fix that. The main issue right now is the business model, how they can fix the mistakes done (pay 2 win), and move forward with a model that allows them to make money to keep supporting the game, while at the same time not being frowned upon by either casual or competitive player base.

Then/at the same time, they need to create more strategic options and ways for better and worse players to differentiate themselves.

+1. Larger player base is needed.
18 Mar 2014, 12:25 PM

Good luck with that...

A good opening to my mind would be to introduce custom army "themes" as DLC. This would be purely cosmetic and you could have say a Naval Infantry theme where all you Cons are in naval infantry uniforms, a Stalingrad street-fighters skin where everyone is armed (cosmetically wise) to the teeth or an early war late war thing where Soviet Infantry don't have Shoulder boards or something. Hell, even something as simple as giving Soviet infantry on winter maps great coats. Same would go for Germans, Gebirgjagers... Fallschirmjagers etc (maybe even make it so G43s are replaced cosmetically by FG42s and given the same stats etc). Don't really see too many limitting factors given the flavour and differences historically...
18 Mar 2014, 14:41 PM

Good luck with that...

A good opening to my mind would be to introduce custom army "themes" as DLC. This would be purely cosmetic and you could have say a Naval Infantry theme where all you Cons are in naval infantry uniforms, a Stalingrad street-fighters skin where everyone is armed (cosmetically wise) to the teeth or an early war late war thing where Soviet Infantry don't have Shoulder boards or something. Hell, even something as simple as giving Soviet infantry on winter maps great coats. Same would go for Germans, Gebirgjagers... Fallschirmjagers etc (maybe even make it so G43s are replaced cosmetically by FG42s and given the same stats etc). Don't really see too many limitting factors given the flavour and differences historically...

A huge +1 I would buy the shit out of a DLC like this. In an instant.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★