Login

russian armor

What keeps you from enjoying coh3?

11 Apr 2024, 08:33 AM

Now that coh3 is over a year old and Relic being hit by more layoffs after being sold to some venture capital:

What keeps you from enjoying/playing coh3?

I was wondering what other people dislike about the 3rd iteration of CoH, as I simply can't get excited about the game due to multiple problems of which several are subjective.
(As a disclaimer the last time I played was in december, and I have like ~80 hours in coh3)

- Game pacing (VP tickrate)
From the limited number of games I have played, I really dislike the faster pace. I originally got into coh2 MP because it was an RTS that was slower and more oriented on the smaller scale, managing engagements.

- UFX feel underwhelming
First I have to say, the graphics department is a mixed bag for me. On one hand there are really stunning animations like the sand shifting over the dunes of the desert. But then you see the explosion effects and they are such a let down coming from coh 1&2. For me, devastating attacks dont look & feel as severe as they actually are.

- SFX are plain and lack character
The sound design seems meh, and is not as useful compared to coh2. In the previous iteration sound cues gave you plenty of information and you could tell exactly what currently happens off screen, helping you to react. e.g If you ran into an MG offscreen
Dhskas, MG34s&42s, Vickers etc were VERY distinctive.

- Voice lines feel way more repetive and annoying
It is noticeable that coh3 has less variety in voice lines. In coh3, each unit has 2 lines for each action. In coh2 they had 3 from my experience. Wehrmacht and UKF are the worst when it comes to being annoying. Constant screeching as soon as they hear a mouse fart. Given at first I disliked the coh2 voice lines as well, but they grew on me. But I doubt the current screeching of some factions will grow on me.

- UI still does not provide sufficient information (Buffs & Debuffs)
Even after a year, we dont have any insights on buffs or debuffs which units are affected by if the source of these are anyone but oneself. I recognize that they are still tweaking the UI but the pace of the updates is so damn slow.

- Established problematic game design decisions were repeated
Call ins in general, tech skipping, 0CP spam units, 0CP paradrops in to FoW, discrepencies in snaring capabilities e.g. panzerfaust vs at nades.

Feel free to raise counter points, as I am barely in the loop on a surface level via lurking the forums, subreddit and of course here.

EDIT: I was a team-game clown in coh2 2v2, 3v3 & 4v4, you name it. Usually played with my buddies, but we all are rather put-off by coh3. For me personally coh3 also ruined coh2 quite quickly as performance and mechanics are superior in 3.
11 Apr 2024, 10:10 AM

:unsure:

you should give another try, the game has vastly improved with the last two patches.
11 Apr 2024, 10:27 AM

I would honestly say that my gripes with the game are very few, first comes the visual representation because everything in the original CoH looked and felt like it had more impact, the explosions looked and sounded more real and the craters they left behind seemed appropriate while almost everything in CoH2 and CoH3 looks and feels more cartoonish, like kid's toys.

Then there's of course a certain lack of content, as has been noted before CoH2 by comparison had a lot more commanders released within an year.

Lastly it would probably be the limited modding support, which would somewhat solve the above content problem in my opinion as well. If we were free to do more with the game I think that balance, content and maybe even the visual and audio problems that people have could be remedied due to the dedication of the community.

CoH3 still remains the most future-rich and mechnically advanced game in the franchise and like I've mentioned previously it has a lot of potential which could be put to good use if only we were allowed to do so.
11 Apr 2024, 10:37 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Apr 2024, 10:10 AMEsxile
:unsure:

you should give another try, the game has vastly improved with the last two patches.

Damn thats alot of coh, Im glad that you have such a good time with it!

Every now and then I click into streams to see if I should give it a go again, but idk. the 1st year kind of killed any motivation for me to play. Many things got a lot better no doubt about that, but there are still too many things that urk me.

Im just concerned that coh3 wont have the same 2nd comming like coh2 did.
Hated coh2 at first as well, but with Western fronts I became addicted.
Not sure if Relic will make it until then with the recent news.
11 Apr 2024, 11:12 AM

Voiceovers and the sound design remain as the biggest disappointment for me and I get the sense that they probably won't ever be quite up to standard, which really sucks as the sound design was genuinely great in the original and really helped set it apart. It's sad to see how little Relic seems to care about it, it's arguably gotten worse with each new iteration of the game.

But honestly, in all other aspects it has been gradually improving. I have to give them some credit for that as it was so half-baked on release it was close to an alpha. I hope that it survives long enough to fulfil it's potential. Time will tell I suppose.
11 Apr 2024, 15:55 PM

Shitty threads from salty people who never stop complaining, but refuse to find something they would like ln life as if living for misery is their whole personality usually.
11 Apr 2024, 16:40 PM

What keeps me from Coh3? Three things.

1) Being banned. Kind of a gimme.

2) The community. The plebs who play RTS are simpletons. This game is finally in a BETA state 14 months after release. Instead of players saying "This is unacceptable", Relic just adjusts the balance a little and the plebs are all excited. We just went 4 months between patches and all we got was some balance changes and people are clamoring its the greatest game ever. These lemmings are the reason I will NEVER like Coh3.

3). Relic. Before this game was even announced I was seeing cracks in the Relic-is-competent armor. I was already losing cohpium. Then that alpha state trash was released and all of my fears were fully realized. Then came the lack of communication Relic is known for. Then the slow crawl of updates. I have said since 2017 someone in Relic Management needs to be fired so badly it is insane. And I stand by that statement. The company is run so bad it is indefensible. Sega is gone and they still cant get their shit together. A complete joke and a waste of anyone's time waiting for them. Move on.

The tangibles for me to like Coh3 are a small list that The Quban (Q Mode) had fixed a month after release. And these things are still not done by Relic.

Just like I said, good people like Gabby and Tarnation are gone because Relics lack of competency at the top. I could name more but then I would get banned even more???

Oh and Katitof. I can never like Coh3 because of Him/Her. j/k
11 Apr 2024, 18:21 PM

As a teamgame player, I just don't enjoy the gameplay nearly as much as I did in CoH2

1) Everything is too spammy, I hate when I can spam nothing but 2 or 3 different units and still be competitive at the highest level, which is the case in CoH3. Think about the Jägerschreck spam or old BOIS AT rifle blobs. Or Stug/8-Rad spam and Marder spam from DAK

2) Blobbing near a forward ambulance playstyle STILL completely overpowered 1 year later. CoH3's anti-blob tools are lackluster overall and ambulances themselves are super overtuned. They are fast, hard to destroy, have insane AoE healing speed and they can be used in enemy territory...

3) Has anyone seen heavy tanks in CoH3? For a long time I haven't, now the Tiger apparently is back on the menu, can't wait until it's hard-nerfed again because according to some CoH3 streamers it's completely unacceptable that two A-move AT guns can't stop the Tiger.
Relic wants me to spam medium tanks instead? No thanks, boring af

12 Apr 2024, 02:35 AM

As a teamgame player, I just don't enjoy the gameplay nearly as much as I did in CoH2

1) Everything is too spammy, I hate when I can spam nothing but 2 or 3 different units and still be competitive at the highest level, which is the case in CoH3. Think about the Jägerschreck spam or old BOIS AT rifle blobs. Or Stug/8-Rad spam and Marder spam from DAK

2) Blobbing near a forward ambulance playstyle STILL completely overpowered 1 year later. CoH3's anti-blob tools are lackluster overall and ambulances themselves are super overtuned. They are fast, hard to destroy, have insane AoE healing speed and they can be used in enemy territory...

3) Has anyone seen heavy tanks in CoH3? For a long time I haven't, now the Tiger apparently is back on the menu, can't wait until it's hard-nerfed again because according to some CoH3 streamers it's completely unacceptable that two A-move AT guns can't stop the Tiger.

It got nerfed today. The game is just garbage, they finally managed to balance it in a correct way with last patch but today the hot fix just made it the same crap again. Brits in this game are even worse than Brits in COH1.
12 Apr 2024, 16:27 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Apr 2024, 16:40 PMRosbone

2) The community. The plebs who play RTS are simpletons. This game is finally in a BETA state 14 months after release. Instead of players saying "This is unacceptable", Relic just adjusts the balance a little and the plebs are all excited. We just went 4 months between patches and all we got was some balance changes and people are clamoring its the greatest game ever. These lemmings are the reason I will NEVER like Coh3.

Kind of a weird thing to say; I guess your statement implies you're in the top percentile of the player base ? If that's the case, you will ALWAYS be unhappy unless the game caters to you and those few other individuals, and then the rest of the player base will drop off leaving you with no games.

Other people enjoying different aspects of the game doesn't make anyone a simpleton. It just means they enjoy different aspects of the game. If there's ONE thing I believe does make someone a simpleton in this context, it's spamming one or two units and neglecting the rest.

Finally, letting other people decide how you feel is kind of a shitty way to live, man.
12 Apr 2024, 22:06 PM

I think infantry combat is vastly inferior to CoH2. In most other respects I like CoH3 more: proper tech trees rather than linear snoozefest tech, build variety, weaker AT guns, camera zoom level, less cartoony graphics, more consistent AoE damage, CoH1 style doctrines etc.

But the problem is that infantry combat is perhaps the most important aspect of CoH gameplay to me, so despite all these things CoH3 still feels lackluster.
12 Apr 2024, 22:10 PM

I think CoH3 teamgames are unplayable at the moment due to a variety of reasons, first and foremost lacking map quality and OP forward reinforce. But I don't really see how CoH2 was any better with regards to late game compositions? Mediums just felt like a complete joke a lot of the time in CoH2 teamgames, and now we have the other extreme.
12 Apr 2024, 22:34 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Apr 2024, 15:55 PMKatitof
Shitty threads from salty people who never stop complaining, but refuse to find something they would like ln life as if living for misery is their whole personality usually.

Sheesh... How many matches have you played? It better be way more than anyone else given how personally you seem to take any criticism of the game
13 Apr 2024, 10:02 AM

Sheesh... How many matches have you played? It better be way more than anyone else given how personally you seem to take any criticism of the game

Quite a bit since 1.4 dropped actually for someone who has about 2 hours of play a day and other games besides coh, thanks for concern.

Being a parent sucks, stick to being basement dweller at parents house if you want to have games played in 4 digits.
13 Apr 2024, 12:52 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Apr 2024, 10:02 AMKatitof

Quite a bit since 1.4 dropped actually for someone who has about 2 hours of play a day and other games besides coh, thanks for concern.

Being a parent sucks, stick to being basement dweller at parents house if you want to have games played in 4 digits.

Can't even answer a basic question...

What you really mean is: "I'm full of shit and I cry about people criticizing a game I barely play"

Those kids are screwed lol. If you want any tips let me know :rolleyes:
13 Apr 2024, 16:01 PM

Can't even answer a basic question...

What you really mean is: "I'm full of shit and I cry about people criticizing a game I barely play"

Those kids are screwed lol. If you want any tips let me know :rolleyes:

Says a person who is literally obsessed with me.
13 Apr 2024, 17:08 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Apr 2024, 16:01 PMKatitof

Says a person who is literally obsessed with me.

*Obsessed with making fun of you maybe

Btw what's that make you for Vipper? If this is "obssessed"...
13 Apr 2024, 17:53 PM

I think they dumbed the game down in an attempt to make it more appealing to more people / more accessible.

COH2, and COH1 was hard to learn. I think the strong communities in these games with high skill ceilings, find COH3 bland. Its less of a challenge while also harder to pull off really brilliant plays against your opponent.

So it just feels boring to play by comparison to COH2
14 Apr 2024, 01:36 AM

Other people enjoying different aspects of the game doesn't make anyone a simpleton. It just means they enjoy different aspects of the game. If there's ONE thing I believe does make someone a simpleton in this context, it's spamming one or two units and neglecting the rest.

Finally, letting other people decide how you feel is kind of a shitty way to live, man.

For clarity, You are correct. The majority of Coh3 players are happy with a barely functioning game. That is my point exactly. Coh3 will never be a great game because the moron player base will not require it.

This game is only partially functioning. UI is missing important elements. Menu system is trash. And what did the idiots ask for????? Leaver Penalties.

Why ask for a functioning game when you could ask for a mechanic that will drive away an already dwindling player base? How many top players are going to sit thru a trash game when their partner is a noob or even when the enemies are noobs? BORING AS F**K games. Now you have people going AFK in games. Which is even worse than leaving. And those people will be banned soon, making the player base even smaller.

if you have been to the Relic Discord or Reddit, you will know how completely dumb Coh3 players are. And they are the bulk of the player base. So Relic has to listen to their wants.

Every effort will only be as good as the least common denominator. For Coh3, that is glue eaters.

MY REASONS
I am not a top player. All I want is visible kill counts and a working menu system and I would be happy.

Kill counts so when I watch streams I can see WTF is going on.

Polished Menu System so people playing the game dont feel like it is a broken ass beta at best. I am looking for the absolute bare minimum. But Relic cant do it. They never have and never will.

Coh1 - Shit menu system.
Coh2 - Better.
Coh3 - Trash at first, now much better. But still broken and half assed.

I am just asking for the shit that should have been done in 2018 to actually be done in 2024, 14 months after release.
14 Apr 2024, 09:25 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Apr 2024, 01:36 AMRosbone

For clarity, You are correct. The majority of Coh3 players are happy with a barely functioning game. That is my point exactly. Coh3 will never be a great game because the moron player base will not require it.

This game is only partially functioning. UI is missing important elements. Menu system is trash. And what did the idiots ask for????? Leaver Penalties.

Why ask for a functioning game when you could ask for a mechanic that will drive away an already dwindling player base? How many top players are going to sit thru a trash game when their partner is a noob or even when the enemies are noobs? BORING AS F**K games. Now you have people going AFK in games. Which is even worse than leaving. And those people will be banned soon, making the player base even smaller.

if you have been to the Relic Discord or Reddit, you will know how completely dumb Coh3 players are. And they are the bulk of the player base. So Relic has to listen to their wants.

Every effort will only be as good as the least common denominator. For Coh3, that is glue eaters.

MY REASONS
I am not a top player. All I want is visible kill counts and a working menu system and I would be happy.

Kill counts so when I watch streams I can see WTF is going on.

Polished Menu System so people playing the game dont feel like it is a broken ass beta at best. I am looking for the absolute bare minimum. But Relic cant do it. They never have and never will.

Coh1 - Shit menu system.
Coh2 - Better.
Coh3 - Trash at first, now much better. But still broken and half assed.

I am just asking for the shit that should have been done in 2018 to actually be done in 2024, 14 months after release.

why were the things you describe possible 15 years ago but not now? :*(
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS