Operation Brass Leopard

17 May 2023, 22:33 PM
Senior Editor Badge

Next patch target: June

*tag names
*rework some sounds
*rework planes and loiters
*more zoom out
*one 3v3 bridge map for Skirmish Only (no automatch)
*next 3v3 and 4v4 maps are Automatch and target in 2 or 3 months

18 May 2023, 05:19 AM

They're going to use up all the cool names on shit updates.

Call this one "Operation Rusty Emu", or "Operation Flaming Paper Bag"
18 May 2023, 09:55 AM

The sooner they swallow their pride and start allowing community maps to be used officially, the better. I knew it would be slow but the lack of variety is getting pretty brutal.
18 May 2023, 14:21 PM
Admin Red  Badge
Patrion 314

The sooner they swallow their pride and start allowing community maps to be used officially, the better. I knew it would be slow but the lack of variety is getting pretty brutal.

The absence of community involvement is distinctly odd. e.g.prior to the COH2 launch, Re3lic invited members to submit voice lines for use in the game. This time, the community was ignored.

As for mapping, this site holds records of previous mapmaking contests for COH2. Many maps made the game, although many only for brief periods. Nevertheless, it involved the community and provided sources of inspiration. It is worth noting that Whiteflash's iteration known as Crossroads in COH2 started as a tourney map towards the end of COH1.

Then there are the modders, who were allowed to introduce skins towards the end of COH1. These were still available indirectly in COH2, since if Relic approved a set of skins, I believe they had some form of sharing with the modder/Artist. I see no sign yet of Relic continuing with that idea. Instead, Relic are attempting to sell winter skins in a game designed for the desert or South Italy. Bizarre. I can only assume the game is intended to traverse into the Italian mountains...but it's Relic, so who knows?

And last, why in the game of Hades have Relic gone backwards and named UK Airborne troops with red berets as "Commandos"? It beggars belief.

Immersion is/was part of the fun of COH1/COH2. But tinny MG sounds and too much sub-par voice acting detracts. If they want to be COH1-lite, they may as well shift over the COH1 Wehrmacht voicelines at least.

18 May 2023, 14:41 PM

These codenamed updates surely cause some slight PTSD after the Saphire Jackal disaster, I'm praying this one will be infinitely better

It seems like it has nothing to do with "Relic's pride" and more so with a shitty chain of approvals & bureaucracy sadly

18 May 2023, 15:25 PM

1 new 3v3 map is "on target"? Bro all the modes except maybe 1v1 need multiple new maps

At this point expansion 1 should be free. But zero chance of that lol
18 May 2023, 16:44 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Relic's artists should spend less time making background images for their updates and fix the game assets instead...

Anyway, it looks like the game is ever so slowly getting there. The fact that many minor points are in these lists shows me that they apparently still have to develop a lot of their code base. I guess that's also why things seem to be taking ages.
18 May 2023, 17:27 PM
Senior Editor Badge

Our .org guys in the dev team.

Marco and DevM

#pride :D

18 May 2023, 17:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 May 2023, 17:27 PMnigo
Our .org guys in the dev team.

Marco and DevM

#pride :D

Well... um. This gives me mixed feelings. Already at the end of CoH2, many of my friends and acquaintances from CoH2 with whom I talked often said that the game had turned into a boring game (For me, the first couple of years were the best in CoH2, and although there was often insane imbalance, it was an incredibly fun game in which situations like 1-0 victory points were very common, often tournament balance did not equal fun). Because some dudes make a game for themselves to play in tournaments. CoH3 is the apogee of this concept - multiplayer is extremely boring. I don't even have a couple of minutes of watching the game, I'm just dying of boredom. The game should be created for players and not for tournament players.
18 May 2023, 17:55 PM
Senior Editor Badge

Well... um. This gives me mixed feelings. Already at the end of CoH2, many of my friends and acquaintances from CoH2 with whom I talked often said that the game had turned into a boring game (For me, the first couple of years were the best in CoH2, and although there was often insane imbalance, it was an incredibly fun game in which situations like 1-0 victory points were very common, often tournament balance did not equal fun). Because some dudes make a game for themselves to play in tournaments. CoH3 is the apogee of this concept - multiplayer is extremely boring. I don't even have a couple of minutes of watching the game, I'm just dying of boredom. The game should be created for players and not for tournament players.

Marco and DevM weren't involved in CoH2 patches. They are CoH3 only devs.

On the other hand, SturmPanther and other Axis main 4v4 players were the patch guys in CoH2 end life.

18 May 2023, 18:14 PM

Coh3 is dead. It was on life support and Relic just pulled the plug. There is no point to even talk about Coh3 anymore.
18 May 2023, 18:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 May 2023, 18:14 PMRosbone
Coh3 is dead. It was on life support and Relic just pulled the plug. There is no point to even talk about Coh3 anymore.

What was in the dev stream?
18 May 2023, 18:24 PM
Senior Editor Badge

What was in the dev stream?

*tag names
*rework some sounds
*more zoom out
18 May 2023, 18:32 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 May 2023, 18:24 PMnigo

*tag names
*rework some sounds
*more zoom out

That is a huge L, well I guess an unpaid intern and 2 devs are left on Coh3
18 May 2023, 19:03 PM

The priority to make a comp stomp map is the only really big headscratcher for me. Only guess is that its been "in the works" for a while and it made more sense to them to finish it than start a more needed project that would take longer...

Other than that all the QoL changes all look really good to me and the audio fixes will be a crowd pleaser for sure. INB4 someone makes "Brass Monkey" parody for the patch.
18 May 2023, 19:47 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 May 2023, 18:24 PMnigo

Thanks for the recap, anything Nigo might have missed? After seeing this post there is no point in going through the VOD.

On topic: Common Relic L and utter disappointment.

Havent touched coh3 in over a month, while they're working on the HUGE list of problems, its too frikkin slow and besides that there is the crippling lack of map variety. I really hope they backtrack on the expansion bullshit and actually make the game enjoyable long-term.
18 May 2023, 21:52 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Gives some insight into Relic:
Working on CoH3, there's a project lead supervising a senior dev supervising a junior dev supervising the new that in turn supervises the new intern that does the actual work. But also that guy can only work half hours at best because he's working part time as a waiter to pay his rent.

Otherwise I don't really get how the patch can be so small after a month of nothing.
19 May 2023, 02:45 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post18 May 2023, 17:55 PMnigo

Marco and DevM weren't involved in CoH2 patches. They are CoH3 only devs.

On the other hand, SturmPanther and other Axis main 4v4 players were the patch guys in CoH2 end life.

COH2 4v4 is badly unbalanced now, with win rates in the 46/54 split range. {actual win rates are 45.5%-47.6% for Allies}

The Walking Stuka's ability to one-shot 7-man vet 3 con squads, or any other Russian infantry, makes it terrible to play against in 4v4's. They nerfed the Land Mattress and Calliope so that it wouldn't do that and should have done that to the Walking Stuka.

(Edited due to overstating some things and removed speculation about balance team since I don't know them or their motivations)
19 May 2023, 06:58 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post19 May 2023, 02:45 AMGrumpy

COH2 4v4 is badly unbalanced now, with win rates in the 60/40 split range.

Nobody listened to any feedback that they didn't want to hear. The Walking Stuka's ability to one-shot 7-man vet 3 con squads, or any other Russian infantry, makes it terrible to play against. They nerfed the Land Mattress and Calliope so that it wouldn't do that, but evidently it is okay for Ost and OKW rocket arty to do that.

If you already accuse others of selective perception and biased opinions, at least fact check your own stuff. You base your pro Axis 60/40 split on coh2stats.com data for top200 games from January, March and April 2023 with a total of about 250 games. February (140 games) shows 55% winrate for Allies and May so far is balanced with 70 games.

What do we learn from that? This number of games is way too little. Most imbalances occur after coh3 release and if you look to either all data or the top200 data for all of 2022, you'll see a pretty even split. If Axis arty constantly wipes your 7 men Cons, you're just bad at dodging and counterwiping.
19 May 2023, 08:49 AM

The absence of community involvement is distinctly odd. e.g.prior to the COH2 launch, Re3lic invited members to submit voice lines for use in the game. This time, the community was ignored.

Immersion is/was part of the fun of COH1/COH2. But tinny MG sounds and too much sub-par voice acting detracts. If they want to be COH1-lite, they may as well shift over the COH1 Wehrmacht voicelines at least.

Agreed. I'm hesitant to judge something like voicelines too harshly as it is, after all, all down to personal taste, but they seem to have become less and less memorable and interesting with each new iteration of the game. Excellent in the first, passable in the second and now fairly generic and unmemorable.

For me the exact same thing is true of the campaign. Multiplayer has always been my main focus in COH but there seems to have been less and less effort put into the campaigns with each new edition of the series. Not a trend that exactly fills you with confidence.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS