Login

russian armor

[mini rant] 'Tactical pause' marketing

31 Aug 2022, 08:04 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Since I saw the 'new' trailer recently and they keep marketing the tactical pause - which is, let's face it, basically a normal pase with the ability to give orders and has been implemented in many games over the past decades already. In the trailer, it was placed fine. New feature, gets a couple of seconds as highlight, that's it.
But combined with it being one of the first allegedly 'big' reveals for CoH3 as well as extensive mentioning from reveal up to now, I don't get why Relic focuses so much on it.

Yes, it is a good feature. Players that are slow in reaction can just pause and take their time. Perfect.
But CoH is not designed to have THAT much tactical planning. It is not as the early operation flashpoints or men of war, because the retreat works as a low micro way to preserve units. The games are designed to be played in real time, so players who don't 'need' it will probably have a better experience not using it in the first place.

I don't get why Relic markets a feature with that little benefit or interest that much. Sure, it was probably one of the first things that could be implemented and therefore shown to the public, but the overfocus on it slightly annoys me, because it means that Relic either misjudges the impact or doesn't have anything more interesting to show.
31 Aug 2022, 08:30 AM

Perhaps this is necessary to attract people to the game who prefer slower gameplay. They are not very good at multiplayer or they need slow multiplayer like in World of Tanks. It is possible for them to also create a skirmish mode.
31 Aug 2022, 09:34 AM

tp is a stupid feature because it gives the illusion that you can micro well but in all actuality it's not only about sending two tanks in two different places but also keep an eye on them at the same time.
31 Aug 2022, 10:46 AM

I like the Tactical Pause. RTS in general lacks a large player base. Anything Relic does to increase the number of players is fantastic.

How many new players play a single bridge map so they can setup an MG and then spam arty for that huge explosion payoff? Or make a huge tank (BP?).

TP would be great if the game had more information about units in the menu also. People could make a unit, press pause, then read about its abilities.

I do not really see a negative for adding it. Teaching bad habits/bad micro is valid, but I think people will get past that.

If they sell 10 million copies and we retain 1 out of 10, that would be 1 million new multiplayer players. Much better than the 5000 we get daily now. Of course, the servers crash at around 20k players (Aerafield) so there is that ....
31 Aug 2022, 10:51 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Aug 2022, 10:46 AMRosbone
Of course, the servers crash at around 20k players (Aerafield) so there is that ....

Unplayable input lag in CoH2 usually starts at 12000-13000 players ingame :foreveralone:
31 Aug 2022, 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Perhaps this is necessary to attract people to the game who prefer slower gameplay. They are not very good at multiplayer or they need slow multiplayer like in World of Tanks. It is possible for them to also create a skirmish mode.

jump backJump back to quoted post31 Aug 2022, 10:46 AMRosbone
I like the Tactical Pause. RTS in general lacks a large player base. Anything Relic does to increase the number of players is fantastic.

How many new players play a single bridge map so they can setup an MG and then spam arty for that huge explosion payoff? Or make a huge tank (BP?).

TP would be great if the game had more information about units in the menu also. People could make a unit, press pause, then read about its abilities.

I do not really see a negative for adding it. Teaching bad habits/bad micro is valid, but I think people will get past that.

If they sell 10 million copies and we retain 1 out of 10, that would be 1 million new multiplayer players. Much better than the 5000 we get daily now. Of course, the servers crash at around 20k players (Aerafield) so there is that ....

Again, as I said in the OP, it is a good feature. At least as long as the game is still designed to be played without it (which it will be, since there is no pause in multiplayer).
It is good to get people into the game which find CoH otherwise too hectic or help people with disabilities to keep up with what is happening. There is no detriment to adding it. Otherwise, CoH is not the game for making highly timed movements on all fronts. Orders such as "Move up squad A, once squad A is in position to secure the flanking road, squad B on the other part of the map throws a grenade into the house so that squad C can charge into it" or something alike. The feature is for campaign and bot matches. The Bots aren't challenging/smart enough so that the average player would need to pause, and judging from the "Mission Alpha", the missions are also not designed in a way that would need this much cohesion. Being a bit out of sync matters at the top level multiplayer at best, but not for 99% of the player base and surely not for single player. On the other hand, the few occasions where quick reactions are actually needed like dodging a grenade can be completely negated.
So overall, unless the player for whatever reason (lack of RTS practice, age or health) is generally slow, there is likely no need to use the pause and might even be detrimental to the game design. The "average Joe" won't really need it, that's what I am saying.

That's where my complaint is: solely about the marketing. TP is a good feature, they should mention it so that the above mentioned players know that the game accommodates them. But it is not the huge step forward that it should be when just looking at how they sell it. That's why I wrote "Relic either misjudges the impact or doesn't have anything more interesting to show." in the end of the opening post. Other features such as even side armor on tanks will have more impact on the game for the majority of the players than TP.
31 Aug 2022, 12:39 PM

Again, as I said in the OP, it is a good feature. At least as long as the game is still designed to be played without it (which it will be, since there is no pause in multiplayer).
It is good to get people into the game which find CoH otherwise too hectic or help people with disabilities to keep up with what is happening. There is no detriment to adding it. Otherwise, CoH is not the game for making highly timed movements on all fronts. Orders such as "Move up squad A, once squad A is in position to secure the flanking road, squad B on the other part of the map throws a grenade into the house so that squad C can charge into it" or something alike. The feature is for campaign and bot matches. The Bots aren't challenging/smart enough so that the average player would need to pause, and judging from the "Mission Alpha", the missions are also not designed in a way that would need this much cohesion. Being a bit out of sync matters at the top level multiplayer at best, but not for 99% of the player base and surely not for single player. On the other hand, the few occasions where quick reactions are actually needed like dodging a grenade can be completely negated.
So overall, unless the player for whatever reason (lack of RTS practice, age or health) is generally slow, there is likely no need to use the pause and might even be detrimental to the game design. The "average Joe" won't really need it, that's what I am saying.

That's where my complaint is: solely about the marketing. TP is a good feature, they should mention it so that the above mentioned players know that the game accommodates them. But it is not the huge step forward that it should be when just looking at how they sell it. That's why I wrote "Relic either misjudges the impact or doesn't have anything more interesting to show." in the end of the opening post. Other features such as even side armor on tanks will have more impact on the game for the majority of the players than TP.

It's like looking at this question. Side armor is great, but it will be of interest to people who are already familiar with the franchise or fans, who already know that side armor was not in the game before. The tactical pause, I think, is aimed at making more people buy the game, namely those who prefer slower gameplay or people from the "Men of War" series in the campaign that also had a pause.
31 Aug 2022, 16:39 PM

Actually it would be strange if Relic didn't try to let everyone know that the game has this feature.

Its aimed at the average Joe, who dont even play RTS. What are the titles average gamer would know. Starcraft, warcraft, maybe CnC, AoE. All of them are not only old fashioned RTS games, but also very micro intensive ones.

Average player who dont even play RTS, might aswell just think that all of the RTS games are way too hard and require insane amount of micro, just like titles I mentioned.

Relic deliberately, letting everyone know that game has a feature which allows you to play the game without ... micro at all, lel. So even a guy who knows nothing about RTS, might buy it and play it.
31 Aug 2022, 17:02 PM

they should market more with zooming in, tilting camera and doing "snapshots" with the tactical pause
31 Aug 2022, 17:28 PM
Senior Caster Badge

Unplayable input lag in CoH2 usually starts at 12000-13000 players ingame :foreveralone:
Or when you just have been a german in 2017/2018 Kappa
31 Aug 2022, 18:47 PM
Senior Editor Badge

they should market more with zooming in, tilting camera and doing "snapshots" with the tactical pause

Would be cool to let players know that they can disable UI for a few seconds to take a cool screenshot!

Tactical Pause and the marketing behind it is a great strategy to onboard new players. There's a GeneralsGentlemen video from a couple years ago talking about RTS games and the statistic that always stuck with me was that, on average, 80% of RTS players only touch single player. The more Relic can do to get those players in and increase sales makes the game look good from the SEGA POV. And the new Italy campaign will increase replay-ability of the singleplayer so we're going to have high player numbers which is a great thing.

For lots of us hardcore multiplayer fans like me tactical pause doesn't matter too much. But for my 60 year old dad he'll love it.
31 Aug 2022, 19:28 PM
Donator 11

Would be cool to let players know that they can disable UI for a few seconds to take a cool screenshot!

Tactical Pause and the marketing behind it is a great strategy to onboard new players. There's a GeneralsGentlemen video from a couple years ago talking about RTS games and the statistic that always stuck with me was that, on average, 80% of RTS players only touch single player. The more Relic can do to get those players in and increase sales makes the game look good from the SEGA POV. And the new Italy campaign will increase replay-ability of the singleplayer so we're going to have high player numbers which is a great thing.

For lots of us hardcore multiplayer fans like me tactical pause doesn't matter too much. But for my 60 year old dad he'll love it.

Thank you Gbpirate, for responding to this thread so others don't need to. This thread should be closed by this statement here.

tl;dr tactical pause is an extremely important feature for increasing sales of this game and enjoyment of the majority casual player base.
1 Sep 2022, 07:58 AM

I have fully enjoyed the tactical pause to stop the game and give orders whilst playing the game on the SteamDeck.
1 Sep 2022, 08:10 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Sep 2022, 07:58 AMle12ro
I have fully enjoyed the tactical pause to stop the game and give orders whilst playing the game on the SteamDeck.

Well, that's a really good argument if the game supports SteamDeck. But then in the trailer it was necessary to talk about it together.
1 Sep 2022, 08:12 AM

Well, that's a really good argument if the game supports SteamDeck. But then in the trailer it was necessary to talk about it together.

Not if, the last alpha was playable on the deck. A lot of games are playable on the steam deck even if they appear to be unsupported on their store page.

Otherwise, GBPirate puts it perfectly across for whom that feature is.
1 Sep 2022, 13:51 PM

Actually it would be strange if Relic didn't try to let everyone know that the game has this feature.

Its aimed at the average Joe, who dont even play RTS. What are the titles average gamer would know. Starcraft, warcraft, maybe CnC, AoE. All of them are not only old fashioned RTS games, but also very micro intensive ones.

Average player who dont even play RTS, might aswell just think that all of the RTS games are way too hard and require insane amount of micro, just like titles I mentioned.

Relic deliberately, letting everyone know that game has a feature which allows you to play the game without ... micro at all, lel. So even a guy who knows nothing about RTS, might buy it and play it.

Honestly, I get what you are saying and what lelic is pushing. My question is this: ok you have made a "tactical decision" to send one Pz3 to capture a hill and a squad of flame penals or whatever to burn a building and another squad of say engies plant some mines.

How can you keep an eye on both 3 of these assignments to know that they are going well? What if your tank gets caught by some PIATgineers?

You go for less micro and you end up have 3x the micro.
1 Sep 2022, 17:47 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

Honestly, I get what you are saying and what lelic is pushing. My question is this: ok you have made a "tactical decision" to send one Pz3 to capture a hill and a squad of flame penals or whatever to burn a building and another squad of say engies plant some mines.

How can you keep an eye on both 3 of these assignments to know that they are going well? What if your tank gets caught by some PIATgineers?

You go for less micro and you end up have 3x the micro.

What are you on about? you can pause as often as you want, you set the pace.
1 Sep 2022, 22:40 PM

wasnt there a tablet version of coh for which this would be good as well?
2 Sep 2022, 03:52 AM
Senior Editor Badge

wasnt there a tablet version of coh for which this would be good as well?

Yee some company that isn't Relic made a CoH port to iPad. I think it's only the base game, not even the Opposing Fronts factions.
2 Sep 2022, 06:32 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

Yee some company that isn't Relic made a CoH port to iPad. I think it's only the base game, not even the Opposing Fronts factions.

It is for phones and Pads and it now has all the factions and campaigns, only one thing missing is multiplayer.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★