Login

russian armor

Map Cutoffs

24 Jun 2022, 14:14 PM

I'm mostly playing 3v3's and I've noticed that most of the maps I hate playing have really stupid cut off locations that work in theory but in practice just make the game less fun to play.

By far the worst contender for this is hill 400, and to add insult to injury they're on red cover...

Whiteball Express has this "feature" too where cutoffs are placed JUST behind the front lines, and to make matters worse with that map, the cutoff LOS/Shot blockers are positioned so the defender has a narrow passage through, where the attacker has a huge viewpoint on the position. I like this map when I'm not playing a game were I constantly defend/attack the cut off.

A cut off should be high risk high reward, it should be near enough outside the enemy base, take Crossroads, and Langress as the main examples that come to mind with a cut off positioned in a risky spot for the attacker.

The majority of 3v3 maps that I can think of counter this by having 2 points needed to be cut off before the enemy is denies all resources, and while not ideal, its better than having a cut off easily accessible but it ideally should be always located in a position that is risky but not out of reach and when it is taken, it should be easier for the defender to take it back than it is for the attacker to hold.

/Rant
25 Jun 2022, 11:01 AM

Hill 400 has fixed their cutoffs partially by essentially removing the cutoffs for one team at the fuel area. The west team doesn't get cutoff if the north territory point is captured (it is still cut off if the VP is captured) and vice versa for the southern fuel for the opposing team

this has pushed the west team to contest north and the east team to contest south though.

Whiteball's cutoffs are not really reachable via flanking, they can only be capped if your opponent makes an error or his front collapses and you just walk up to them. I'd say that the biggest cutoffs are actually the two points at the start of the base, reaching them can shut down their whoel resource flow
27 Jun 2022, 10:20 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post25 Jun 2022, 11:01 AMKatukov
Hill 400 has fixed their cutoffs partially by essentially removing the cutoffs for one team at the fuel area. The west team doesn't get cutoff if the north territory point is captured (it is still cut off if the VP is captured) and vice versa for the southern fuel for the opposing team

this has pushed the west team to contest north and the east team to contest south though.

Whiteball's cutoffs are not really reachable via flanking, they can only be capped if your opponent makes an error or his front collapses and you just walk up to them. I'd say that the biggest cutoffs are actually the two points at the start of the base, reaching them can shut down their whoel resource flow

You're wrong, go load it up, the VP is a cut off and so is the point in front of the VP on both sides, its an absolute shit show and the worst designed map in the 3v3 pool.
27 Jun 2022, 11:06 AM

COH3 will fix this.

Adding a manpower point basically renders cutoffs useless, since if you camp in 1 place and I take your manpower, you will get starved. Atleast that's how I hope it will be implemented.

Right now, if you manage to lose your cutoff (especially fuel) it's pretty much a slow descent into gg.
27 Jun 2022, 12:46 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jun 2022, 10:20 AMLatch

You're wrong, go load it up, the VP is a cut off and so is the point in front of the VP on both sides, its an absolute shit show and the worst designed map in the 3v3 pool.

yeah but only the VP is a cutoff

which is what i have said, you only have to defend the VP to gain resources. Easier than defending two cutoffs at once
27 Jun 2022, 13:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jun 2022, 12:46 PMKatukov

yeah but only the VP is a cutoff

which is what i have said, you only have to defend the VP to gain resources. Easier than defending two cutoffs at once

The point in front of the VP is also a cut off, you have to hold both
27 Jun 2022, 14:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jun 2022, 13:56 PMLatch

The point in front of the VP is also a cut off, you have to hold both

you didnt read my comment properly

only one side gets cut off by the territory point now on each fuel points

this somewhat polarizes the map as to which side attacks what fuel, but its better than what it was before
27 Jun 2022, 16:14 PM

For reference here is an overhead shot of White Ball:

And here are some of the combinations of cutoffs that can be done. Generically the idea is to reduce camping on the fuel. And most maps reward control of the middle VP, again, to pull forces off the fuel area. And all Rosbone 4v4 maps have the double complete cutoff for Close the Pocket fun.

27 Jun 2022, 16:25 PM

And a ref for Hill400:

As stated above, the cutoffs are not symmetric. To get the fuel you need the fuel and a point on one side but need the fuel and two points on the other side.

This can be looked at as a problem if the weakest players are on the easy fuel side.

Or it can be looked at as giving a different strategic experience. It gives variety to the map pool. If every map was Crossroads it may get a little bit boring.
27 Jun 2022, 18:27 PM

Hill 400 has very good cut off design.

I you have to hold 2 points; the enemy has counter play, basically making the early game longer, since you can contest the enemy fuel all the time. Even matches will have no fuel connection for like the first 10 minutes.
27 Jun 2022, 19:15 PM

Hill 400 has very good cut off design.

I you have to hold 2 points; the enemy has counter play, basically making the early game longer, since you can contest the enemy fuel all the time. Even matches will have no fuel connection for like the first 10 minutes.

I don't remember the last time I had fuel connected on Hill 400. Though, it's easier to hold bottom fuel for east than it is top fuel for west. I'd know since last 10 or so games on Hill 400... I got the exact same spawn each time. West-bottom-most. Still, such easy cutoffs means that it's a more dynamic game, so I kind like Hill400 except for the fact that it's a hill and the elevation is amazingly, mindbogglingly, super mega ultra horrible.

Cutoffs in team-games are usually a rare sight. General Mud, Hill 400.... can't think of any map other than those two that has decent cutoffs. Redball and a couple of other have an easier time for the encirclement I win button, but other than that, cutoff is mostly a 1v1 gimmick. Also you should take into consideration that by going for the cutoff, you must go deeper into the enemy territory... God forbid the enemy ally flanks or sth.
28 Jun 2022, 01:52 AM

Hill 400 is stupid map. Right side tend be harder to pushing + defend the fuel/cut off in Northside while Left side is easier.
28 Jun 2022, 03:59 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Jun 2022, 01:52 AMtheekvn
Hill 400 is stupid map. Right side tend be harder to pushing + defend the fuel/cut off in Northside while Left side is easier.

The left side north has a building that is much closer to the VP than the south building. We missed that issue when we patched the map last time.

The left side North also gets green cover right on the cutoff, where it is mostly yellow for the south. Another thing we could have tweaked a little more.
28 Jun 2022, 07:54 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Jun 2022, 01:52 AMtheekvn

Absolutely true. However, there is one thing that makes bottom cutoff/VP funny.
First of all, both the VP and the general points are cutoffs, so you need to hold both to have fuel.
Which brings me to another thing I have noticed in my countless games on Hill 400. One thing that the east side has going for it, when defending the bottom fuel/cutoff is the elevation.

My last 10+ games on Hill 400 have all been the same fu*king spawn (3v3): West, bottom-most. Meaning that I had a 1v1.5 on the bottom fuel/VP.

Now when assaulting the VP/cutoff from the west side, there is some sort of an elevation which is not obvious at all. I have noticed it because I only use ground target when using any tank besides the TDs. Last game, my Pershing targeted on the VP a huge ober blob, from the area a bit to the west of the VP (that clearing below the road).... I sh*t you not. The Pershing couldn't ground target on the VP from there. Literally all shots connected with the ground. I think I fired 6 shots on the blob, all connected with the ground. And the skillshot from Pershing connected to the ground countless times from west to east, there
28 Jun 2022, 08:37 AM

The real issue with Hill 400 as with other 4vs4 come when it used in 3vs3.

Since some of the map have an "easier" fuel for each side having one player spawn on that side can create major issues.

Spawn point for these maps should be fixed and not random.
28 Jun 2022, 11:23 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Jun 2022, 08:37 AMVipper
Spawn point for these maps should be fixed and not random.

Good point. We created a 3v3 version of Hill 400 for the last map patch. So this should not be an issue anymore.
28 Jun 2022, 11:44 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Jun 2022, 11:23 AMRosbone

Good point. We created a 3v3 version of Hill 400 for the last map patch. So this should not be an issue anymore.

Nice work then.
30 Jun 2022, 02:13 AM

First of all, both the VP and the general points are cutoffs, so you need to hold both to have fuel.
Which brings me to another thing I have noticed in my countless games on Hill 400. One thing that the east side has going for it, when defending the bottom fuel/cutoff is the elevation.

My last 10+ games on Hill 400 have all been the same fu*king spawn (3v3): West, bottom-most. Meaning that I had a 1v1.5 on the bottom fuel/VP.

Now when assaulting the VP/cutoff from the west side, there is some sort of an elevation which is not obvious at all. I have noticed it because I only use ground target when using any tank besides the TDs. Last game, my Pershing targeted on the VP a huge ober blob, from the area a bit to the west of the VP (that clearing below the road).... I sh*t you not. The Pershing couldn't ground target on the VP from there. Literally all shots connected with the ground. I think I fired 6 shots on the blob, all connected with the ground. And the skillshot from Pershing connected to the ground countless times from west to east, there

that was one of many thing mada Right side harder to attack both top and botton fuel.
30 Jun 2022, 10:04 AM

it depends on what side you are on. Both top and south VP are cutoffs, but the west side gets the north easier and the east side gets south easier. The meta in hill 400 is to have two guys go to the favorable fuel together and overwhelm the opposing enemy, the 3rd player (in a 3v3) should instead go to the opposite fuel, and, rather than try to fight for supremacy at a disadvantaged point, should instead rush for the VP or fuel point and dig in to fight as long as he is capable of fighting. If you fail to rush the enemy-favored fuel point, just retreat and attack the middle VP

This is essentially the textbook of how Hill 400 is played, try to coordinate attacks like this and hope your team does not disappoint.
30 Jun 2022, 13:01 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

That's the main point I really like about this map. It is one of the few, where consistently going for the cut off is actually a good strategy.
It is somehow a necessity as well, since the fuels can be held by a single MG with almost no way to flank it.
I remember I once built a fighting position at the fuel (the one near the church), and another one to cover for infantry that want to flank this position from the back. Long story short. My opponent first got stuck on the fuel point, then decided to flank with Schreck PGrens and got stuck in the second one, and never got the fuel for the rest of the game, since it is suicidal to push and ATG or tank to these points, even mortars don't give you really favourable angles.
But this is where the map shines. Even in that situation, due to the fact that the cut offs are still exposed, my opponent still has a chance to deny my fuel.

The second great feature (not related to cut offs though) of this map is the huge bunker in the middle with "roundabout" trenches. I find it cool to play, although the bunker is not really fairly placed in the middle.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS