Login

russian armor

What about the Goliath

26 Jul 2021, 22:49 PM

Anyone noticed the goliath?
So I played a game today and had 4 squads wiped by goliaths. The thing is essentially a movable demo charge with stealth except demo charges are now (and quite rightly) visible on screen.
The other player just dumped the thing on a vp in camo and wiped my squads when they got close. I could think of no counter, any ideas?
It must be the most underused abusable unit in the game, I mean everyone loves the OP sturmtiger and AVRE, B4. But this zero skill high reward unit I dont see often.
I'm just thinking how long it took to get rid of the obviously broken artillery flares in OKW spec ops doctrine snd wondering when these other game breaking units will be removed... sometime after COH3 is out I'd imagine at the earliest. I do use commandos so perhaps I shouldn't complain
27 Jul 2021, 00:38 AM

get engineers with sweeper and shoot it with infantry, it melts and dies.

Funnily enough, AI will not retreat the goliath, or use it as intended, instead they will send engineers to repair it while under fire, so you kill both.
27 Jul 2021, 01:02 AM

Was this you?

If so, I promise to try to stop laughing.

Piloting a Goliath takes the same amount of skill as moving 4 Penals squads together, and infinitely more funny.

There are some units that easily destroy goliaths, maybe some things that aren't even units. Maybe try figuring that out because I don't think you'll get it nerfed.
27 Jul 2021, 04:05 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jul 2021, 01:02 AMGrumpy
Was this you?

If so, I promise to try to stop laughing.

Piloting a Goliath takes the same amount of skill as moving 4 Penals squads together, and infinitely more funny.

There are some units that easily destroy goliaths, maybe some things that aren't even units. Maybe try figuring that out because I don't think you'll get it nerfed.

Not me, I moved camouflaged commandos onto a fuel point, okw dumped goliaths in cover. You cant reveal goliath until on top of the thing and it insta wipes a 400mp 90 mun squad. I thought I'd missed it and it must have been visible sooner the first time so tried again and again (it was 4v4 we were losing anyway vs a permade team) but no, the thing is not revealed until your squad is sitting on it.
They nerfed demo charges for this very reason, they were broken and now you can see them on map as soon as you're 10m or so, thats fair, they cost 90 mun to plant, goliath is 100 mun, can't be seen at all umlike demo and is drivable. Its a 2 click squad wipe.
I take it engineers can reveal with mine detectors then? I didn't think of that, why would I, the thing is not a mine after all it never occurred to try and use them. Never mind, guess I know what to do next time then.
I'm not a fan of powerful units like this, at least demos have to be planted.
27 Jul 2021, 05:51 AM

Not me, I moved camouflaged commandos onto a fuel point, okw dumped goliaths in cover. You cant reveal goliath until on top of the thing and it insta wipes a 400mp 90 mun squad. I thought I'd missed it and it must have been visible sooner the first time so tried again and again (it was 4v4 we were losing anyway vs a permade team) but no, the thing is not revealed until your squad is sitting on it.
They nerfed demo charges for this very reason, they were broken and now you can see them on map as soon as you're 10m or so, thats fair, they cost 90 mun to plant, goliath is 100 mun, can't be seen at all umlike demo and is drivable. Its a 2 click squad wipe.
I take it engineers can reveal with mine detectors then? I didn't think of that, why would I, the thing is not a mine after all it never occurred to try and use them. Never mind, guess I know what to do next time then.
I'm not a fan of powerful units like this, at least demos have to be planted.

I wasn't a fan of the demo nerf. I often used them in conjunction with a regular Soviet mine. The combo of the two would brew up a Panther, which often caused a lot of rage. Explaining that it was a "noob bomb" probably didn't lower the rage. I still think the visibility should only be for infantry.

If someone is patient with Goliaths then they are annoying. If they're moving then any MG or AA vehicle counters them well. I haven't tried sweepers but I rarely see Goliaths.
27 Jul 2021, 07:29 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Jul 2021, 05:51 AMGrumpy

I wasn't a fan of the demo nerf. I often used them in conjunction with a regular Soviet mine. The combo of the two would brew up a Panther, which often caused a lot of rage. Explaining that it was a "noob bomb" probably didn't lower the rage. I still think the visibility should only be for infantry.

If someone is patient with Goliaths then they are annoying. If they're moving then any MG or AA vehicle counters them well. I haven't tried sweepers but I rarely see Goliaths.

I can assure you, you weren't the only one that made noob bombs, it was a favored tactic of mine aswell. Detonating an entire blob like that was rewarding, mostly because blobbing is another zero skill high reward gameplay technique rerurned in kind. Agreed armor should not see demos but you have to question why goliath wasn't given the same nerf as its exactly the same thing as a demo charge but on wheels....
27 Jul 2021, 09:08 AM

Agreed armor should not see demos but you have to question why goliath wasn't given the same nerf as its exactly the same thing as a demo charge but on wheels....

Goliath costs more, makes noises and is doctrinal (also it can be seen by vehicles)

It might do more damage and is mobile but I never have lost anything to it in ages. Meanwhile I do / see the "Demo+house/decrewed teamweapon/trench" trick quite often (which can not really be done with Goliath as it even makes sound when standing still. Also it costs more)
27 Jul 2021, 09:54 AM

Goliath is fine, extremely loud unique noise when moving, many counters exist and only gets one chance to work in a game before the target becomes incredibly paranoid about the next one. Which is why you only use one :rofl:
27 Jul 2021, 12:10 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Goliath is fine for smaller modes. In 3v3, I found it incredibly effective in the very late game when all VPs have already been artied to hell and back enabling the Goliath to cross large distances undetected. The whole game often focuses on running into the VPs, which makes people often less attentive. It is fairly easy to get squad wipes then, which hurt a lot given than the MP income is reduced at this stage.

A possible change to this could be to lower its sight range. Currently you can park them anywhere and they will spot for themselves.
On the other hand, the whole doctrine is not used as much anymore, so I doubt that a nerf is needed.
27 Jul 2021, 13:45 PM

So there are people that think the Goliath is op? Interesting.
27 Jul 2021, 14:18 PM

The cost(100 muni) justifies the output. Unlike OP ST ATM.
27 Jul 2021, 14:36 PM

Infantry - even without mine sweepers - can detect a goliath without being in detonation cover.

It basically behaves like a moving demo charge right now. If you dont watch your infntry, they die.

If you you spot the goilath and the enemy doesnt control it -> blow it up.

If it you charges you in the last second -> in most cases you have to retreat.
27 Jul 2021, 15:37 PM

28 Jul 2021, 04:37 AM

Goliath is fine, extremely loud unique noise when moving,

That's why you just park it on a territory point and wait to move it until something gets close. It's not OP but that doesn't make it any less dumb tbh. Has no business being in the game

They were utterly useless in WW2. I cannot comprehend Relic's fascination with them
28 Jul 2021, 08:37 AM

Are you really asking for a goliath nerf
28 Jul 2021, 09:44 AM

Tools that counter infantry blobs deserve to be strong, especially if they require setting up like goliaths, demo charges and mines.

Knowing how to set them up and detonate them at the right place, the right time is hardly a no-skill effort.

There is too much infantry blobbing in the game and lately there are constantly opinions against units that counter them.

It's not often that I get rekt by infantry blobbers when I play with combined arms and neatly placed team weapons. Just the other day my map control as OST collapsed due to sheer Conscript spam that proceeded to steal all my weapons. That can't be too uncommon.

28 Jul 2021, 09:47 AM

If you're not paying attention to your units and just blobbing away, then you kinda deserve a wipe from a goliath. There are scenarios where you can hide it behind a bush or sight blocker and wipe a squad or two, but Goliath being OP is moronic at best like that thread about Pathfinders being OP.
29 Jul 2021, 15:54 PM

Tools that counter infantry blobs deserve to be strong, especially if they require setting up like goliaths, demo charges and mines.

But they don't just counter blobs. Demos never would've been nerfed if they only countered blobs

Goliaths usually just wipe individual squads capping points cause it's harder to react. If you lose a blob to it that's deserved, cause letting half of your army just walk into it is pretty hard to do
29 Jul 2021, 16:14 PM

But they don't just counter blobs. Demos never would've been nerfed if they only countered blobs

Goliaths usually just wipe individual squads capping points cause it's harder to react. If you lose a blob to it that's deserved, cause letting half of your army just walk into it is pretty hard to do

Demos got nerfed, since you couldnt spot them at all; aside from mine sweepers.

Goliath can be spotted from save distance by any infantry or tank; It is fair game this way. You simply have to keep an eye out.

If you walk mindlessly on a capping point without watching the unit. A demo charge can be devastating still.
29 Jul 2021, 17:17 PM

Goliath can be spotted from save distance by any infantry or tank; It is fair game this way. You simply have to keep an eye out.

Of course they can be spotted from a distance, cause they can move. You can use LoS blockers and then move at the squad when it's too late

Again, it is impossible to exaggerate how useless the Goliath was in ww2. I understand history gets thrown out the window a bunch in this game but the Goliath is possibly the most egregious example of it

The fact that they ever have stealth under any circumstances is hilarious. And that you can just drive then wherever you want is also silly. Coh3 seems like it's going to ignore history just as much though, so I guess this doesn't matter to people
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★