Login

russian armor

How to effectively use IGs?

11 Jul 2021, 20:43 PM

So pretty much title.

Its really pissing me off that no matter how I try I'm unable to effectively use IGs. I do great with soviet\wehr mortars, I understand the "shotgunning" use of UKF\USF mortars and that you really want to use them at close as possible.

OKW IGs is a complete different story, when I use it it feels like it cant hit shit and its a MP dump, no matter with barrage or autofire, where mortars would have obliterate enemy IGs just totaly suck ass in my hands. While I usually see ppl being able to utilize it and deal good damage with it.

Speaking mostly from a teamgame perpective.
11 Jul 2021, 20:50 PM

Shooting into the fog of war (meaning without sight of the enemy) gives you a scatter penalty (think of scatter sort of like how accurate your shots will land on target) with all mortars/artillery/indirect fire.

Use it while supporting pushes with your infantry (also make use of the smoke as well).

Additionally a Kubel (especially Vet 1 with maphack ability) and or Jaeger Light Infantry (Panzerfusiliers with flare as well) will help give you sight that you need to make the best use of your leIG Support guns.
MMX
11 Jul 2021, 21:09 PM

the isg is kind of special compared to other indirect fire pieces in that it has a rather small aoe, but very tight scatter to make up for this.
as a result, "shotgunning" or firing from close range will be less effective for the isg than for regular mortars, simply because it will only play out its scatter advantage at longer distances.
however, at max range the isg should deal more damage on average than, say, a grw-34.
11 Jul 2021, 21:36 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Jul 2021, 21:09 PMMMX
the isg is kind of special compared to other indirect fire pieces in that it has a rather small aoe, but very tight scatter to make up for this.
as a result, "shotgunning" or firing from close range will be less effective for the isg than for regular mortars, simply because it will only play out its scatter advantage at longer distances.
however, at max range the isg should deal more damage on average than, say, a grw-34.

Yes, but I'am still kinda stuggling trying to find this optimal sweet spot distance. It might have a better long range scatter and show better results then regular mortars, but the results I usually get arent particularly good.
11 Jul 2021, 21:46 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

So pretty much title.

Its really pissing me off that no matter how I try I'm unable to effectively use IGs. I do great with soviet\wehr mortars, I understand the "shotgunning" use of UKF\USF mortars and that you really want to use them at close as possible.

OKW IGs is a complete different story, when I use it it feels like it cant hit shit and its a MP dump, no matter with barrage or autofire, where mortars would have obliterate enemy IGs just totaly suck ass in my hands. While I usually see ppl being able to utilize it and deal good damage with it.

It's a tumor way of using them, but next to your schwer they're basically untouchable. Using barrage I find it pretty lackluster because of the smaller AoE and increased scatter for RoF. Autofire is better for chipping infantry.
15 Jul 2021, 10:00 AM

I find using 1 isg doesnt do much, but 2 is the sweetspot
But thats like 640 man power yikes!
15 Jul 2021, 10:03 AM

I find using 1 isg doesnt do much, but 2 is the sweetspot
But thats like 640 man power yikes!

I thought ISG is 270mp?
15 Jul 2021, 10:12 AM

I thought ISG is 270mp?

Really?

+1 for double ISG in teamgames.
15 Jul 2021, 11:06 AM

Yes, but I'am still kinda stuggling trying to find this optimal sweet spot distance. It might have a better long range scatter and show better results then regular mortars, but the results I usually get arent particularly good.

Park it close to your schwere and forget about it, it will vet alone eventually.
15 Jul 2021, 11:40 AM

I will suggest an alternative to other posts, esp as I use it at least 60% of my OKW games.

Forget about vet on your ISGs. Only thing of real benefit for the first 3 levels is reduced main barrage recharge time, which only happens at vet III. Reduced smoke barrage time won't be making a real difference. Under no circumstances allow inf to get close to your guns, thus reduced RA becomes irrelevant. In any case, they'll get barraged by pack howies, SPGs and rocket arty, costing you the vet anyway at some point.

You only barrage weapons teams and enemy buildings - things which cannot just walk out of the barrage in a second. Team weapons are often neglected and can take a lot of damage before the enemy notices. If you barrage then you do it with 2 x ISGs.

This will come with experience, good and bad, even if it means A-moving towards the enemy. You don't use ISGs like regular mortars, they are a superior light arty option. You use them with a unique playstyle. They have weaker AOE profiles so you are relying more on direct hits, which it is good at.
Mortar- Distance: 1/2/3 Damage: 68/40/20
ISG- Distance: 0.75/1.5/2.25 Damage: 68/32/16

Much better for sniping out squads however as they are more accurate. If the target is infantry then you want to encourage them to get into light cover, where they are bunched up and a single shot can wreck their hp. Mortars can miss very often here, ISGs less so.

tl;dr Just keep shooting and stuff dies. Annoy them enough and they will counter battery fire your ISGs with whatever they can get.
15 Jul 2021, 12:02 PM

So pretty much title.

2 basic rules only:

1) For the most part you only wanna use autofire and sometimes ground attack. So dont put the LeIgs super far behind. Always let them move with your army together

2) Barrage only vs enemy mortars & MGs
16 Jul 2021, 05:45 AM

2 basic rules only:

1) For the most part you only wanna use autofire and sometimes ground attack. So dont put the LeIgs super far behind. Always let them move with your army together

2) Barrage only vs enemy mortars & MGs

To OP, I'd add my $0.02 (or maybe nickel to aerafield).

If you're looking to get a lot of kills, you need two of them, preferably shooting at team weapons. If you're getting just one, think of it as free smoke more than anything else. The smoke is slow in arriving, but works well enough to negate a MG. Most players only get a single MG so one leig is okay at soft-countering it.

If you're playing against someone who's really mobile, they're completely pointless. Most decent USF players play aggressive so I pretty much never get them against USF. On the other hand, I got somewhere around 130 kills in a 2v2 against someone who badly wanted to make maxim spam work against ISG's. They're also good against UKF who camp.

Lastly, don't fall into the trap of just deciding that you want to try to make them work without waiting and seeing what your opponent is doing.
16 Jul 2021, 07:06 AM

So pretty much title.

this is a garbage unit for 270 mp, best advice is prob dont use it
16 Jul 2021, 10:02 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post16 Jul 2021, 05:45 AMGrumpy

The smoke is slow in arriving,

Not anymore
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %