Login

russian armor

sandbag behind flag is awful mechanic.

20 Jun 2021, 20:18 PM

Aren't most non MGs small arm fire only visuals?

No, they are not. At least maybe not all of them. But when they colide they actually do damage. The same way small fences on the maps sometimes are destoyed by small arms fire.

I myself also thought that they are only visuals (since weapons have a special string allowing them to colide with entities or fly thought them) but it seems like, game is still calculating what is being hit regardless. At least for cover it for sure does.

Thats why mortar pit (or any other emplacement which takes damage from small arms) will be taking damage from bullets hitting it, even if you order your squad to attack unit standing behind it. You can easily test it youself. I'm pretty sure I didnt use any MG weapons when I was testing it back in the day.

I would even say, that if all small arms actually had non-passable bullets, they might have become more effective against blobers, since even misses would have had a chance to hit different soldier enitity. But this need testing.
20 Jun 2021, 20:25 PM

No, they are not. At least maybe not all of them. But when they colide they actually do damage. The same way small fences on the maps sometimes are destoyed by small arms fire.

I myself also thought that they are only visuals (since weapons have a special string allowing them to colide with entities or fly thought them) but it seems like, game is still calculating what is being hit regardless. At least for cover it for sure does.

Thats why mortar pit (or any other emplacement which takes damage from small arms) will be taking damage from bullets hitting it, even if you order your squad to attack unit standing behind it. You can easily test it youself.

I would even say, that if all small arms actually had non-passable bullets, they might have become more effective against blobers, since even misses would had chance to hit different soldier enitity. But this need testing.

The can not collide because there is not projectile.

If there is a hit that is an accuracy hit from small arm weapon with focus fire or some other mechanic when it comes to world objects.
20 Jun 2021, 20:27 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jun 2021, 20:25 PMVipper
The can not collide because there is not projectile.

If you put an abandoned light vehicle between two rifle squads firing on each other, they'll kill it with scatter shots. So small arms do seem to have projectiles of some sort. No idea how it works though.
20 Jun 2021, 20:29 PM

If you put an abandoned light vehicle between two rifle squads firing on each other, they'll kill it with scatter shots. So small arms do seem to have projectiles of some sort. No idea how it works though.

I don't think so.

It is probably calculated without a collisions check.

There is mode that bullets have projectiles and when I tried it my pc laged like crazy.
20 Jun 2021, 20:41 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jun 2021, 20:29 PMVipper

I don't think so.

It is probably calculated without a collisions check.

There is mode that bullets have projectiles and when I tried it my pc laged like crazy.

Here you go. It doesnt matter if its collision or not, fact is, they still do colide and they still do damage.

Individual bullets might not have collision (there are special string for it, as I said) simular to AT weapons\tanks, but they still do colide with non targeted objects and do damage. They seem to follow different logic, where its calculated what is being hit with bullet projectile, rather then what is stopping the projectile on its path to the target.

To put it more simple, its like a dice roll which decides where end possition of bullet projectile will be and if it rolls on top of the another object bullet retains all its properties and damage, unlike for so called "true" collidable projectiles colision of which is calculated in realtime (thats why mod lagged your PC).

Its a different form of collision, but collision non the less. If they didnt colide then either bullets would had just flying past the object or just had a particle effect without any in game effect.

Well, just in case, not every hit on mortar pit do damage, because not every hit is "penetrating" one and the same would have happen if the mp would have been neutral.
20 Jun 2021, 21:11 PM

And this is same with what I said, there is damage but it is not via a collision check of projectile with an item. It is a separate mechanism.

One can see also world object being destroyed when infatry fight around them.

My guess would be that the same would happen if you had placed the mortar next to the troops is possible that object around fighting take damage.
20 Jun 2021, 21:18 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jun 2021, 21:11 PMVipper

And this is same with what I said, there is damage but it is not via a collision check of projectile with an item. It is a separate mechanism.

One can see also world object being destroyed when infatry fight around them.

You operate with coh2 terms of collision in mind. I'm operating with the overall meaning of collision. Not all collision is calculated in realtime during enity lifespan. Thats why we have pre-calculated collision or we have collision in realtime (simulation).

If one object can make effect on the another object, by any means of how it is coded, its still a form of collision. Entity A (being a bullet projectile) hitting enitity B (mortar pit) therefore they are colliding with each other.
20 Jun 2021, 21:23 PM

You operate with coh2 terms of collision in mind. I'm operating with the overall meaning of collision. Not all collision is calculated in realtime during enity lifespan. Thats why we have pre-calculated collision or we have collision in realtime (simulation).

If one object can make effect on the another object, by any means of how it is coded, its still a collision. Entity A (being a bullet projectile) hitting enitity B (mortar pit) therefore they are colliding with each other.

I understand what you say but using the same term for 2 different types of "mechanism" is not very helpful.

If I had to guess I would say that they game applies damage around the area the fighting take place.

For instance PTRS blow up enemy cover before the had a projectile and after they got a projectile (if I remember correctly.)
20 Jun 2021, 21:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Jun 2021, 21:23 PMVipper

If I had to guess I would say that they game applies damage around the area the fighting take place.

Most likely bullets fly in some sort of an arc, some of them might just fly in the air, some might just unrealistically hit the ground (actually you can see on the video that most of the bullets are hitting ground infront of mortar pit for some reason), some might fly strate forward and might end up hitting objects inbetween. But yes, even if mortar pit wasnt inbween but on the side, it might have been hit aswell, but chances would be very small.

It doesnt really matter in the end, since we are not trying to make our own coh2 by reverse engineering.

My point was, that such system exists in the game and can be applyed to sandbags making them take damage during the fights, and be less of a "build and forget".
Pip
21 Jun 2021, 01:08 AM

It isnt a case of small arms having "projectiles". I should imagine there's merely a raycast between the firing unit and the unit being shot at, with objects being "damaged" if the cast intersects with them along its path. There's no need for projectiles to be involved.

I assume there's a certain distance the object needs to be from the firing unit, as well, as to my knowledge MGs don't obliterate the cover they're sitting behind, even if all their shots appear to be embedding themselves into that object.
21 Jun 2021, 03:59 AM

i think sandbag and wire are interesting mechanics.

perhaps give the sandbag some health points and will decrease with small arms engagement
1 Jul 2021, 04:37 AM

They just need to remove pathing from points (Meaning you can just walk through the points). This would not only help with vehicle pathing but also with things like Sandbags behind VP points.

This
15 Jul 2021, 09:20 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Jul 2021, 04:37 AMNaOCl

This

yes I liked this idea.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %