Login

russian armor

Advanced Warfare Tactics

23 Apr 2021, 21:14 PM

Since the commander update is in the works, this might be the best time to bring this topic up. As of now this commander got some buffs in IL-2 strafe, PPSh and Conscript repair kit (now also works on penals). These buffs certainly improve the commander but the main problem with this commander is still present. It is vastly overshadowed by Armored Assault Tactics and Guard Rifle Combined Arms Tactics. It is weaker than both these commanders while having almost the same kit.

This commander could really use a new identity so it differs from the other two. Perhaps swap PPSh upgrade for something else ? I have also noticed in the updated art, the commander is wearing 1943 uniform so maybe it could get M-42 AT guns instead. Opinions ?
24 Apr 2021, 00:17 AM

Replacing PPSH with SVT upgrade would be thematic fit since I believe SVTs were the more advanced rifle that never got fully rolled out by the end of the war. Would be nice to have SVTs in more than one commander though SVT and Premium Medium might be a bit much lol. DSHK instead of either PPSH or Repairs also comes to mind but then you have overlap with Lend Lease if it replaces PPSH (Repairs, DSHK, and Premium Medium). I wouldn't totally discount Advanced Warfare though since PPSH are getting buffed and that will help distinguish it from Armored Assault.
24 Apr 2021, 02:04 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Apr 2021, 21:14 PMTodore
Since the commander update is in the works, this might be the best time to bring this topic up. As of now this commander got some buffs in IL-2 strafe, PPSh and Conscript repair kit (now also works on penals). These buffs certainly improve the commander but the main problem with this commander is still present. It is vastly overshadowed by Armored Assault Tactics and Guard Rifle Combined Arms Tactics. It is weaker than both these commanders while having almost the same kit.

This commander could really use a new identity so it differs from the other two. Perhaps swap PPSh upgrade for something else ? I have also noticed in the updated art, the commander is wearing 1943 uniform so maybe it could get M-42 AT guns instead. Opinions ?

The M-42 would be a straight downgrade. Those other commanders overshadow this one because they have high level abilities like the IS2 or bombing run. The reworked Advanced Warfare still doesn't have any elite abilities. Replacing the PPSH with either the new 152 offmap, a bombing run, or anti-tank overwatch would make it better. Maybe put the PTAB in this commander and fix its unreliabity.

However, I do like the fact that the balance team is addressing some of the useless abilities for Soviets.

24 Apr 2021, 03:33 AM

Guard Rifle Combined Arms does seem like it will mostly overlap with this commander so it could make sense to give Advanced some improvement so it remains useful in some niche.
I think possibly replacing the conscript repair kit would be the most sensible change. That ability is in a lot of commanders and it mostly a lower tier ability.
24 Apr 2021, 03:35 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Apr 2021, 21:14 PMTodore
I have also noticed in the updated art, the commander is wearing 1943 uniform so maybe it could get M-42 AT guns instead. Opinions?

We on the UI team specifically intended to visually separate commanders who were themed around early war equipment (such as the obsolete M-42) with the earlier 1939 uniform, with commanders who utilized late war equipment (such as IS-2 Mod. 1944 and T-34/85) with the more modern 1943 uniform.
24 Apr 2021, 03:59 AM

Guard Rifle Combined Arms does seem like it will mostly overlap with this commander so it could make sense to give Advanced some improvement so it remains useful in some niche.
I think possibly replacing the conscript repair kit would be the most sensible change. That ability is in a lot of commanders and it mostly a lower tier ability.

Taking out both the PPSH and repair kit, replacing with Anti-tank overwatch and supply drop would eliminate overlap and make it interesting - like a Soviet version of CAS.
24 Apr 2021, 06:11 AM

Replacing PPSH with SVT upgrade would be thematic fit since I believe SVTs were the more advanced rifle that never got fully rolled out by the end of the war. Would be nice to have SVTs in more than one commander though SVT and Premium Medium might be a bit much lol. DSHK instead of either PPSH or Repairs also comes to mind but then you have overlap with Lend Lease if it replaces PPSH (Repairs, DSHK, and Premium Medium). I wouldn't totally discount Advanced Warfare though since PPSH are getting buffed and that will help distinguish it from Armored Assault.

It distinguishes from Armored Assault, but now compare it to Guard Rifle Combined Arms. Both have doctrinal medium, PPSh and strafe. The difference is Advanced Warfare also gives you Radio Intercept and Cons repair while Guard Rifle Combined Arms also gives you Guards and Howitzer and I think everyone would prefer the latter.
24 Apr 2021, 08:04 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

I'd argue that a DShK would make this commander pretty attractive and make it an analogue of Lend-Lease instead of Armored Assault. Though, with the nerfs coming to the 76mm Sherman, that might completely overshadow Lend-Lease.
24 Apr 2021, 09:32 AM

Advance warfare tactics is one of the 4 T-34/85 commander in preview it should be compared with those commander since it directly overlaps/compete with them:

Advance Warfare tactic
Radio Intercept
T-34/85
Conscripts Assault Package
Conscript Repair Kit
IL-2 Sturmovik Strafe

Armored Asssault Tactics
Radio Intercept
T-34/85
Vehicle Crew Repairs
IL-2 Sturmovik Attacks
IS-2

Guard Motor Coordination Tactics
T-34/85
Guards Rifle Infantry
HM-38 120mm Mortar
Vehicle Crew Repairs
Mark Vehicle

Soviet Shock Army
HM-38 120mm Mortar
Shock Troops
Detect vehicle
T-34/85
152mm Howitzer Strike (new)

24 Apr 2021, 11:54 AM

advanced warfare is fine as it is. aggressive conscript build oriented commander with t34 85. Only thing about it being weak may be il 2 strafe but that is completely up to a person if you like it or not.
MMX
24 Apr 2021, 13:32 PM

advanced warfare is fine as it is. aggressive conscript build oriented commander with t34 85. Only thing about it being weak may be il 2 strafe but that is completely up to a person if you like it or not.

think so, too. maybe not the strongest out of the 85 commanders, but certainly not bad. i'd personally prefer vehicle crew repairs over conscript repair kits for the added flexibility, but at least the latter doesn't cost munis.
24 Apr 2021, 13:44 PM

It would be nice if the commander could get a unique ability that justified the name like some sort of "war speed" or "combines arms" that would especially designed for soviet.
24 Apr 2021, 14:25 PM

What about both ppsh41 and SVT-40 upgrades. Give cons 2 exclusive upgrades???? And also may IL2 AT straffe.
24 Apr 2021, 14:56 PM

Actually I misremembered the commanders. Advanced Warfare is different enough with Radio Intercept to be useful in a way other commanders like Shock Army doesn't have imo. It's the in between of the new shock army with it's shocks and T34-85 and something like armored assault which has radio intercept and the T34-85.
As long the IL2 Strafing Run is a decent call in I think the commander has enough legs to stand on it isn't crucial to improve it (I think other commanders in other factions need work way more than anything in Soviets now).
Pip
24 Apr 2021, 22:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Apr 2021, 03:35 AMKasarov

We on the UI team specifically intended to visually separate commanders who were themed around early war equipment (such as the obsolete M-42) with the earlier 1939 uniform, with commanders who utilized late war equipment (such as IS-2 Mod. 1944 and T-34/85) with the more modern 1943 uniform.

Tangentially related: A cute feature for CoH3 might be infantry uniforms/vehicle configurations visually upgrading to newer patterns as a faction techs up.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 3
Korea, Republic Of 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment