Login

russian armor

King Tiger for Ostheer in the Commander update.

1 Apr 2021, 16:45 PM

Hello, this is my suggestion based on observations for a new addition as a unit to the Ostheer commanders in the next update.

Now my idea was originally revolving around giving a unique King Tiger to the Mobile Defense Doctrine as it already has an OKW lend-lease sort of theme going for it and plus after the Puma changes and now also the removal of the Osttruppen it loses it's appeal even more if you ask me, but it could also be placed in other doctrines as well I suppose.

This could be an Ace or Command variant of the tank with an S-mine launcher, similar to the Sturmtiger's one which would be a new ability for the Ostheer and also a smoke pod ability similar to the Sherman's one.

The reason for these 2 abilities being that the King Tiger, like the late Tiger Ausf. E and Panther Ausf. Gs had this little contraption mounted on top of the turret: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nahverteidigungswaffe

Without trying to pronounce it's German name, it's basically a small turret mounted grenade type launcher that was operated by the loader using a periscope inside the turret where he was safe. He could load and fire either a smoke or s-mine type explosive grenade, as well as a flare one but I guess that's not really needed here (?).

As for the theming, King Tigers, like Tigers, were for the most part put into Heavy Tank Battalions, the Wehrmacht ones numbering from 501 to 511th, the Waffen SS ones from 101st to 103rd and there were also side units that used these tanks like an organic battalion of the Grossdeutschland Division, a company of the Panzer Lehr and a bunch of other riff-raff units.

Kurt Knispel, the top tank ace still in the world was part of one of the previously mentioned Heavy Tank Battalions of the Wehrmacht, the 503rd which was deployed first to Normandy in 1944 in anticipation of Operation Overlord, and then redeployed to the Eastern Front in Hungary where it was renamed to the Feldherrnhalle Heavy Tank Battalion, part of the Division and later Panzerkorps of the same name.

So it makes sense in the theme of the doctrine being OKW troops and material being transferred from the West to the East in that regard at least.

Anyway, it could maybe replace the Command Panzer IV or the Osttruppen instead of the Observation post instead in my opinion.

Welp, that's about it. Just wanted to throw my idea out there for people to toy around with maybe for the Mobile Defense or other doctrines possibly for the Ostheer.

Cheers.
1 Apr 2021, 16:55 PM

No swapping units between factions is literally the first bullet point about the suggestions on commanders.
KT is also not a doctrinal unit.
1 Apr 2021, 17:00 PM

Would have been cool to put this in Festung Armor or something. But alas, Relic doesn't want any more unit swaps between factions because of missing skins and voice lines etc. The Tiger swap was only possible because OKW happened to have some unused voice lines for it.
1 Apr 2021, 17:10 PM

If you're willing to pay the voice actors,add lines I'll be game and convince lelic
1 Apr 2021, 17:11 PM

No swapping units between factions is literally the first bullet point about the suggestions on commanders.

What does the KT not being a doctrinal unit for the OKW have to do for it being such for Ostheer exactly?

Plus as I said it wouldn't be the same vehicle, but a unique variant of it for another Army, nothing to do with the OKW.

Would have been cool to put this in Festung Armor or something. But alas, Relic doesn't want any more unit swaps between factions because of missing skins and voice lines etc. The Tiger swap was only possible because OKW happened to have some unused voice lines for it.

Well it could just use the generic Ostheer Heavy Tank voices, they don't even say "Tiger" or "Efefant/Ferdinand" most of the time either way.

Plus there's still stuff like the StuG III and 251 voice lines for OKW which are also not being used.

Just waste of potential if you ask me.
1 Apr 2021, 17:15 PM

Thats why we gave soviets 50cal.
Tecnically the same unit, but different. KT could also be made into a variation, not a direct copy. Not to mention there was unreleased command KT, which could work. The same way OKW resieved command tiger, which is not direct copy of Ost Tiger.
Pip
1 Apr 2021, 17:15 PM

The OKW tiger is still missing skins though, isnt it? I feel as though i remember mine all being Erdgelb rather than having my Valkyria Chronicle skins.

Also: Is the lack of skins/Voice Lines the "real" reason they're insisting on no more model/unit swaps? I sort of get it, but I feel as though the potential for improved gameplay/balance sort of trumps the minor drop in "Aesthetic" quality. In terms of voice lines, there are already plenty of "Generic" lines for vehicle types to ensure that it really wouldn't be /that/ jarring. (Also: the fact we don't have appropriate skins for units is an entirely, and easily, fixable problem if Relic simply allow modders to reskin units again. Hell, even VA work could be done if Relic allowed, I doubt there'd be an issue finding skilled actors, some of whom might even work for free)

I do hope they reconsider, I thought there was an actual "gameplay" reason they didn't want unit swaps, not just an aesthetic concern.

EDIT: Hey, wait... As someone already pointed out, this beta patch ALREADY has an unit swap, with the USF 50. cal being given to Soviet. What gives?
1 Apr 2021, 17:35 PM

https://youtu.be/49AInridex8?t=1087

And speaking of skins, I mean even applying any of existing OKW skins and making new Icon\portrait should be sufficient enouth to make it distinct.

1 Apr 2021, 17:36 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post1 Apr 2021, 17:15 PMPip

EDIT: Hey, wait... As someone already pointed out, this beta patch ALREADY has an unit swap, with the USF 50. cal being given to Soviet. What gives?

It is on the lend lease doctrine though, so that's a little different. The entire point of it is to have another factions stuff. Like the dshk made no sense on lend-lease

Not to mention, I don't think giving the soviets the .50 cal is compatable to giving Ostheer a KT. And within Relics point about voice lines, you don't need to give new ones for an HMG

Why on earth would we add yet another heavy tank commander? The game really doesn't need this
1 Apr 2021, 17:49 PM

https://youtu.be/49AInridex8?t=1087

And speaking of skins, I mean even applying any of existing OKW skins and making new Icon\portrait should be sufficient enouth to make it distinct.

Damn... those voicelines for the Panzer 3:guyokay:
1 Apr 2021, 17:52 PM

King Tiger for the Wehrmacht? No question, just when the Soviets will receive the SU-100 and BS-3 that opposed them in Hungary.
1 Apr 2021, 17:53 PM

King Tiger for the Wehrmacht? No question, just when the Soviets will receive the SU-100 and BS-3 that opposed them in Hungary.

The difference is that the King Tiger has a model and is already in the game.

Not the same for either the SU-100, or BS-3
1 Apr 2021, 17:55 PM

The difference is that the King Tiger has a model and is already in the game.

Not the same for either the SU-100, or BS-3

I will only agree on these terms. And add skin for Soviet paratroopers for exchange ..
1 Apr 2021, 18:01 PM

I will only agree on these terms. And add skin for Soviet paratroopers for exchange ..

You sound like you're negotiating with a dev lol.

If it were up to me your paratroopers would also be droppable from the air just like the US Airborne.

And there would also be a lot more units, especially from the old game like the Hummel, M18 Hellcat, Jagdpanther and so forth.
1 Apr 2021, 18:03 PM

Bit of a strange argument from Relic. Why does OKW get Wehrmacht units with stock Panzergrau and makeshift voice lines, but the one unit that would fit perfectly for Wehrmacht and isn't restricted due to voice lines and skins is somehow not allowed to be ported?

How is there an issue with giving it the stock Tiger voice lines (Sure, it doesn't use the word King, but who cares. It's a tiger) and the same Panzergrau?

I absolutely don't get their argument.
1 Apr 2021, 18:05 PM

You sound like you're negotiating with a dev lol.

If it were up to me your paratroopers would also be droppable from the air just like the US Airborne.

And there would also be a lot more units, especially from the old game like the Hummel, M18 Hellcat, Jagdpanther and so forth.

Actually who knows, maybe its a possability, considering with new community manager we got some things moving, like updated anti-cheat and proper beta test version.

Its not like Relic will be requared to work on models, all they need to do is just generally allow them to be made (in at least ported from vCOH). They just need to provide tools for either 3Ds Max\Blender\Maya and agree to upload them later into the game build.

And as I said somewhere, its not like they need to allow moding for general public. At least allow community working on updates to bring new things and then just add it to the game.
1 Apr 2021, 18:06 PM

considering with new community manager we got some things moving, like updated anti-cheat and proper beta test version

The only reason the preview is a beta version is because you can't properly add commander changes to a mod.
Pip
1 Apr 2021, 18:08 PM

Actually who knows, maybe its a possability, considering with new community manager we got some things moving, like updated anti-cheat and proper beta test version.

Its not like Relic will be requared to work on models, all they need to do is just generally allow them to be made (in at least ported from vCOH). They just need to provide tools for either 3Ds Max\Blender\Maya and agree to upload them later into the game build.

To my knowledge, people were already able to import models/animations/etc at one point, with or without dedicated tools. The functionality was just removed in a patch at some point.

Relic wouldn't even need to make any more tools, seemingly, they'd just need to re-enable an ability that already existed at one point,
1 Apr 2021, 18:09 PM

The only reason the preview is a beta version is because you can't properly add commander changes to a mod.

Well, we still could have end up with a half-working mod if Relic didnt care that much, right?
1 Apr 2021, 18:09 PM

And as I said somewhere, its not like they need to allow moding for general public. At least allow community working on updates to bring new things and then just add it to the game.

Nothing else is really needed except Relic allowing model importing and editing as you can see here:

Everything else you just mentioned is possible otherwise.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★