Login

russian armor

Tips against Commandos

• This thread is locked
24 Mar 2021, 20:15 PM

Hey Guys,

I am really struggling against commandos and would be very very glad about some tips against them. I am playing 2v2 and in 85%+ of games against Brits i am facing commandos. Their ability to move between cover and still staying hidden and the fact that they are able to throw the probably most powerful low fuse grenade in the game (the same as the panzergrenadiers iirc) whilst beeing hidden cost me way more squads then i like to think about.

I am normally trying to get a kübel to vet 1 if i am playing OKW to use its ability but that is a rather hard task against a very likely UC.

And with Ost i simply have no clue how to handle them. Even if i am able to keep my 222 alive i cant just spam the inf awareness ability everytime it comes of cooldown.

Soo. yeah. I am kinda clueless how i should handle these dudes.

I think they would be a lot fairer if they either couldnt move between cover and stay hidden OR if they were uncloaked the moment the animation for the grenade throw starts and not just the time the nade is sent flying.
24 Mar 2021, 20:28 PM

The are certain unit that have increased search radius and can detect them form further away. (most of them have such an icon)

Vamp44 ober are one of them.

Mine reveal them.

One can also reveal by damaging them with either indirect fire weapons or ballistic weapons.

But it is true that the camo is simply too good.
24 Mar 2021, 21:38 PM

Doctrinal would be: IR STGs, recon loiter, The HQ minimaphack

Non-doc:
Doesnt kubel get shared vet?

As Ost its more complicated, basically u need to expect one unit to get attacked and forced off and use others to force Them off then

You can also try predictive attack ground shots when u got the time

And maybe a sort of secondary phase-line, like a 42 aiming at the back of your front-positioned troops

I have to say, gammon out of camo is really BS and probably should be replaced by WP nade
24 Mar 2021, 23:13 PM

"You can also try predictive attack ground shots when u got the time"

better dont do it with a brumbär tho, might get you in trouble
25 Mar 2021, 00:13 AM

I have to say, gammon out of camo is really BS and probably should be replaced by WP nade

Yeah its really broken. WP nade would be a good replacement.

OP, as others have said, kubel does get shared vet so it should be fairly easy to vet up provided you don't lose it immediately in the first two minutes of the game or so. IR STGs will also shit on commandos as they detect them from about 30 range or something like that and have enough DPS to go toe-to-toe with commandos. If you ever don't have IR STGs, you immediately drop the chemical nade that the obers have on the commandos or in between your two squads. It'll do enough damage that your obers will win and you can soft retreat while they're slowed in the smoke or going around.

As ost, 222 has pretty decent detection range even without spamming the infantry awareness but its much harder because that's basically your only option other than recon. Recon planes will reveal them too, but you can't be running that all the time either. Good use of pgrens can help stop them once you find them too, especially if you have G43s.
25 Mar 2021, 17:37 PM

Thanks for the tipps gents, i was aware of the ground attack decloaking them. But for that i would need to know that they are there :D.

I dont mind their combat strength, i normally am able to handle that its just the nades i am a bit hopeless against. Good to see i am not the only one.

Didnt know the shared vet for Kübel though. Might make it viable to build one mid/late game and try to vet it that way. Edit: Anybody able to tell me how big the range for shared vet is?

I did know about the IR STGs but normally i go for JLIs or Fallschirm against brits as my volks just get murdered by inf sections. And those 3 comms sadly dont have that option. Maybe i need to give the good old Grand Offensive a try again.
25 Mar 2021, 20:30 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Not too much to add to what has already been said.

While not the same, as OH you have some commanders with camouflage + sprint, so you can use it on PG, so you can try to fight fire with fire. I wouldn't choose it as a counter but more as a reminder that you have that possibility.

25 Mar 2021, 22:15 PM

As OKW you can also get the infrared halftrack that has extended detection range, maphack ability and can even call in a recon plane. As another doctrinal choice for detection you can have the 221 from elite armor.

Ostheer non doctrinally is stuck with the 222, but as pointed out, PGs are a good match vs commandos. Picking a doctrine with camo (Jaeger Infantry is the best choice in this regard for 2v2) can indeed hinder commandos as they are moving blindly too.

As Ostheer you also have the option to have your own commandos, the stormtroopers. While they don't have a HE grenade, with tactical assault they can make short work of weapon teams or lone rifle infantries and can even catch retreating squads.

(sometimes I run into commandos with stormtroopers while sneaking around, the two squads be like 'bonjour' before hold fire is disabled :D )
26 Mar 2021, 00:18 AM

As OKW you can also get the infrared halftrack that has extended detection range, maphack ability and can even call in a recon plane. As another doctrinal choice for detection you can have the 221 from elite armor.

Somewhat skeptical of getting an IR HT in 1v1. Manpower is better spent elsewhere. But we do have nice doctrinal options to deal with Commandos. Not sure how good the Luchs and Puma are at detecting Commandos.
26 Mar 2021, 01:45 AM

Recon planes reveal them too... but really it's just safest to bring a tank 😂
26 Mar 2021, 02:15 AM
Donator 11

STG Obers. I just had a match against them and my Vet 5 Ober could detect the commandos from really far, it was kind of funny because the camo'd unit would just stand still pretending it's undetected.
26 Mar 2021, 03:48 AM

While not the same, as OH you have some commanders with camouflage + sprint, so you can use it on PG, so you can try to fight fire with fire. I wouldn't choose it as a counter but more as a reminder that you have that possibility.

I don't get what the balance team has against OH. Every allied Elite is crazy OP(except guards) yet when they design OH unit they think about balance for some reason.
26 Mar 2021, 08:34 AM

Buuut The PGrens cant move from cover to cover while staying hidden. And that is a BIG loss. You basically need to gain a lot of ground to park your PGs at the front to get a nade off. With commandos in the late game you just do crater hopping and can basically run half the way into the enemies base like that.

I don't get what the balance team has against OH. Every allied Elite is crazy OP(except guards) yet when they design OH unit they think about balance for some reason.

Funny how things are perceived. For me guards with double DPs are the toughest enemies to face in normal combat. For most other units you just have to be careful that you cant be ambushed from behind a corner.
26 Mar 2021, 08:45 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Mar 2021, 08:34 AMLujan

Buuut The PGrens cant move from cover to cover while staying hidden. And that is a BIG loss. You basically need to gain a lot of ground to park your PGs at the front to get a nade off. With commandos in the late game you just do crater hopping and can basically run half the way into the enemies base like that.

Its called "ambush camo", not "assault camo". PGs with camo are not infiltration units.
That being said, ambush camo is extremely strong on them.

Funny how things are perceived. For me guards with double DPs are the toughest enemies to face in normal combat. For most other units you just have to be careful that you cant be ambushed from behind a corner.

Guards don't deal well with HMGs and can't touch snipers.
HMGs and snipers work against any other elite too.
PGs running into guards from around the corner will murderfuck them.
26 Mar 2021, 09:31 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Mar 2021, 08:45 AMKatitof

Its called "ambush camo", not "assault camo". PGs with camo are not infiltration units.
That being said, ambush camo is extremely strong on them.

Although the ability is called "Ambush Training" (not ambush camo") someone had the bright idea to bundle it with sprint so it the ability has become more aggressively oriented. Sprint should actually be removed form this ability.

In addition Commandos are not infiltration unit either, they either enter the field by air or build in HQ glider. Infiltration commandos are separate unit.

Commandos camo is way too good since their detection radius is small and the are actually one of best reckon unit since the can move in late battlefield undetected.

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Mar 2021, 08:45 AMKatitof

Guards don't deal well with HMGs and can't touch snipers.
HMGs and snipers work against any other elite too.
PGs running into guards from around the corner will murderfuck them.

Guards are superior vs sniper than most other elite infatry since their high pop and PTRS with range of 40/42.5 give the less of an range disadvantage.
26 Mar 2021, 09:35 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Mar 2021, 09:31 AMVipper

Although the ability is called "Ambush Training" someone had the bright idea to bundle it with sprint so it the ability has become more aggressively oriented.

PPsh is boundled with hit the dirt.
Does that make laying on the ground statically an assault type move, or ppsh is now long range defensive weapon?

Or maybe 2 completely different, too weak for commander slot alone abilities are bundled together to give you some flexibility and value to the slot?

In addition Commandos are not infiltration unit either they either either the field by air or build in HQ glider.

Argue semantics all you want.
Mechanically they are and infiltration commandos are regular commandos too, no differences what so ever outside of deployment.

Commandos camo is way too good since their detection radius is small and the are actually one of best reckon unit since the can move in late battlefield undetected.

Oh, you mean like PFs, partisans and stormtroopers?

Guards are superior vs sniper than most other elite infatry since their high pop and PTRS with range of 40/42.5 give the less of an range disadvantage.

I don't even need to respond to that. If you genuinely believe that, it speaks volumes of your skill and play level.

For last couple of years you're leading a campaign of "60 range TD unfair vs 50 range stugs", but now less range and less mobility is an advantage against unit with more of both? You're inconsistent with your own believes.
26 Mar 2021, 09:48 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Mar 2021, 09:35 AMKatitof

PPsh is boundled with hit the dirt.
Does that make laying on the ground statically an assault type move, or ppsh is now long range defensive weapon?

Sprint allows Pg to use their camo more aggressively then simply wait in ambush since they can close the distance and still benefit from increased accuracy.

The analogy with hit the dirt is simply of mark. It also inaccurate since can be used "aggressively" Conscripts can sprint to close in and then use hit the diret to reduce received damage or avoid being pinned. It is not an optimal combination but can work in some situations.

It also has little synergy and it also should be removed from package.

Argue semantics all you want.
Mechanically they are.

I am not arguing semantics. The term infiltration units is used for unit that have a specific way to enter the field. That is by spawning from ambient building. The term is used of unit like Partisan, Airborne guards, ST, infiltration Commandos.

Unit that enter the field via air including paras and commandos use a different mechanic.

Oh, you mean like PFs, partisans and stormtroopers?

Pathefinder are a reckon unit but their camo is not as good Commandos to navigate the field neither is partisan (a unit with secondary role reckon also). There are more than one types of camo and Commandos have one of the best.

I don't even need to respond to that. If you genuinely believe that, it speaks volumes of your skill and play level.

Pls try to civil and avoid personal remarks. Thank you.
26 Mar 2021, 09:54 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Mar 2021, 09:31 AMVipper

If you genuinely believe that, it speaks volumes of your skill and play level.

Katitof is right tho.

What Vipper suggests is the worst possible and ultimately bad game advice. If you face a sniper, don't use guards or elites, they are NOT superior vs sniper for when it comes to actual play. Grab a quick LV and/or any other vehicle and hunt them down. Or do a pincer move with cheap disposables. Otherwise, all you get yourself bleeding manpower to death and losing more manpower and time than the cost of the sniper you're facing.

The other day I had people trying to get my OST sniper with their elites and all I did was bleeding them to death and/or luring them into my MG42 forcing them to retreat. Easy wins.

26 Mar 2021, 18:39 PM

Yeah i think we can close this here as i dont think i will get anymore useful info on my original topic
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 23
Germany 1
Germany 644

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak