Login

russian armor

New Maps, Buildings out of Territory

17 Mar 2021, 14:32 PM

Is it intended, that on the new maps some buildings are out of capable Territory so they cant be converted to special buildings like forward HQ?
17 Mar 2021, 16:03 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Mar 2021, 14:32 PMmadin2
Is it intended, that on the new maps some buildings are out of capable Territory so they cant be converted to special buildings like forward HQ?

Yes. Whiteflash talked about that a while ago.

He implemented this so the Soviet HQ can't be used anymore.
17 Mar 2021, 17:16 PM

Yes. Whiteflash talked about that a while ago.

He implemented this so the Soviet HQ can't be used anymore.

What's his reasoning?
17 Mar 2021, 17:17 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Mar 2021, 17:16 PMSpoof

What's his reasoning?

In his opinion the HQ ability of Soviet Urban Defense is broken and breaks maps.
17 Mar 2021, 19:25 PM

In his opinion the HQ ability of Soviet Urban Defense is broken and breaks maps.

but it also effects other factions with the ability to convert ambient buildings, this is in my opinion bad map design as it leads to frustrating moments. If the Soviet forward HQ is broken then it should be fixed by rebalancing it.
Pip
17 Mar 2021, 20:20 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Mar 2021, 19:25 PMmadin2

but it also effects other factions with the ability to convert ambient buildings, this is in my opinion bad map design as it leads to frustrating moments. If the Soviet forward HQ is broken then it should be fixed by rebalancing it.

As far as I know the only other faction with the ability to convert an ambient building is UKF with their doctrinal "Observation post" ability, so it's not really a widespread concern.

Also: You're right, FHQ should be rebalanced. That hasnt happened though, and we can but hope we see it changed in the upcoming Commander Patch. Making some map structures off-limits to the ability is the only available stopgap until that happens.
17 Mar 2021, 21:50 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Mar 2021, 20:20 PMPip

As far as I know the only other faction with the ability to convert an ambient building is UKF with their doctrinal "Observation post" ability, so it's not really a widespread concern.

Also: You're right, FHQ should be rebalanced. That hasnt happened though, and we can but hope we see it changed in the upcoming Commander Patch. Making some map structures off-limits to the ability is the only available stopgap until that happens.

Fhq got already a nerf.

Before the current version i didnt need cp and could be used on foreign soil. Now you have to use it in your own territory, which at least in 3v3 and 4v4 takes a lot from this ability since you cant use it as aggressive as it used to be.

I climbed rank one in 4v4 back in 2016 with it. For 1v1 i cant really tell since it dont play that anymore.
17 Mar 2021, 21:52 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Mar 2021, 20:20 PMPip
Also: You're right, FHQ should be rebalanced. That hasnt happened though

FHQ took a big indirect nerf with the flamethrower and incendiary grenade changes that have halved the time / grenades it takes to set buildings on fire.
17 Mar 2021, 22:15 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Fhq got already a nerf.

Before the current version i didnt need cp and could be used on foreign soil. Now you have to use it in your own territory, which at least in 3v3 and 4v4 takes a lot from this ability since you cant use it as aggressive as it used to be.

I climbed rank one in 4v4 back in 2016 with it. For 1v1 i cant really tell since it dont play that anymore.

On 2v2, there were certain atrocious maps and spawn points, that if you didn't check which commanders they have and skipped garrison your unit you would lose the game.
18 Mar 2021, 03:22 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

Please see the following video where I explain the FHQ problem, I have more to say about this generally speaking, but this is a good place to get my overall opinion on FHQ: https://youtu.be/VgUM62vyzEQ?t=437

1. Note: I didnt get the opportunity to implement null sectors for buildings on all my maps in ladder (only ploiesti) as I stated in the video, at the time my plan was to do this on everything I created but outside circumstances prevented that.

2. If it were my choice all my maps would have null sectors on buildings. FHQ is broken that badly, it isnt up for debate, even after this recent patch. I have repeatedly pointed this out for years at this point. The balance team has ignored this for years so if they wont fix it, I will on my end where I can. Ideally the balance team would actually fix this ability and make it so a building OP can just be decapped by a squad, that has yet to happen.

Quality maps are, and always will be, my #1 priority.

3. Keep in mind the soviet FHQ ability still lets you make a little outpost if you cant FHQ a building, so tho the ability is still useful, it isnt terribly broken when FHQing an actual building.

If anyone has any more questions about this please let me know.
18 Mar 2021, 06:15 AM

FHQ took a big indirect nerf with the flamethrower and incendiary grenade changes that have halved the time / grenades it takes to set buildings on fire.

Still takes a long time to kill, and who is going to take the time to hit it with the 4-6 incendiary granades? most times you can't even get near due to sheer amount of team weapons near it, even with flame haltrack you are more likely to die to small arms fire in the time it takes to torch the thing, sure it's not a problem with maps with 1 or 2 buildings, but on urban maps or with buildings near important resource points(especilly on 4x4) it's annoying as hell to deal with.
19 Mar 2021, 03:30 AM

Still takes a long time to kill, and who is going to take the time to hit it with the 4-6 incendiary granades? most times you can't even get near due to sheer amount of team weapons near it, even with flame haltrack you are more likely to die to small arms fire in the time it takes to torch the thing, sure it's not a problem with maps with 1 or 2 buildings, but on urban maps or with buildings near important resource points(especilly on 4x4) it's annoying as hell to deal with.

The new maps are 1v1 and 2v2 though, were FHQs aren't really a problem. Doesn't seem necessary to me.
20 Mar 2021, 02:24 AM

I've always said "the only thing coh2 needs is more inconsistency that isn't translated at all to the player" so. Glad people have finally started listening. I think we should take it a step further and have other commander abilities not work as described for no apparent reason to the player, I'm thinking the okw call in ostwind shouldn't be able to engage aircraft in certain maps, luftwaffe supply drop should only work in certain muni pints or fuel points (maybe alternating?) usf smoke and sprint should in certain sectors instead of sprint apply a speed debuff and in other sectors there should be no smoke. These are suggestions of course and all that really matters is that it's inconsistently applied and in no way at all communicated to the player UNLESS they get out of the game and create an account on a 3rd party website and ask a question as to its status. This will make the game much better and definitely not give the impression of yet more buggy features and poor quality control.
20 Mar 2021, 09:25 AM

I've always said "the only thing coh2 needs is more inconsistency that isn't translated at all to the player" so. Glad people have finally started listening. I think we should take it a step further and have other commander abilities not work as described for no apparent reason to the player, I'm thinking the okw call in ostwind shouldn't be able to engage aircraft in certain maps, luftwaffe supply drop should only work in certain muni pints or fuel points (maybe alternating?) usf smoke and sprint should in certain sectors instead of sprint apply a speed debuff and in other sectors there should be no smoke. These are suggestions of course and all that really matters is that it's inconsistently applied and in no way at all communicated to the player UNLESS they get out of the game and create an account on a 3rd party website and ask a question as to its status. This will make the game much better and definitely not give the impression of yet more buggy features and poor quality control.

This 100%
20 Mar 2021, 09:32 AM

Please see the following video where I explain the FHQ problem, I have more to say about this generally speaking, but this is a good place to get my overall opinion on FHQ: https://youtu.be/VgUM62vyzEQ?t=437

1. Note: I didnt get the opportunity to implement null sectors for buildings on all my maps in ladder (only ploiesti) as I stated in the video, at the time my plan was to do this on everything I created but outside circumstances prevented that.

2. If it were my choice all my maps would have null sectors on buildings. FHQ is broken that badly, it isnt up for debate, even after this recent patch. I have repeatedly pointed this out for years at this point. The balance team has ignored this for years so if they wont fix it, I will on my end where I can. Ideally the balance team would actually fix this ability and make it so a building OP can just be decapped by a squad, that has yet to happen.

Quality maps are, and always will be, my #1 priority.

3. Keep in mind the soviet FHQ ability still lets you make a little outpost if you cant FHQ a building, so tho the ability is still useful, it isnt terribly broken when FHQing an actual building.

If anyone has any more questions about this please let me know.

But you also nerved the ukf commander which was already a niche commander.

If i follow your logic it would look like this:

Riflemen are OP, instead of nevering them u buff Grenadiers and complete ignore the side facts that this would break the match up against soviet and ukf
20 Mar 2021, 10:23 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Mar 2021, 09:32 AMmadin2

But you also nerved the ukf commander which was already a niche commander.

If i follow your logic it would look like this:

Riflemen are OP, instead of nevering them u buff Grenadiers and complete ignore the side facts that this would break the match up against soviet and ukf

То be true, you can upgrade your forward positions with FOB. That way you will also get some utility - you can swap to your FOB using F4 shortcut.

The only benefit you get by occupying ambient buildings is making it your own for the whole match. Enemy can't get inside, and you got forward reinforcing, garrison cover and some abilities to use. On urban map it can really be the end of it.

I can see 2 ways of dealing with it:
- Reducing the health of buildings, so they can be easily removed (therefore nerfing both sides)
- Making it impossible to slap that "deny cover and give me stuff" ability

Thing is - I can't really see why ALL of those buildings are going to be unavaliable? Just get some sightblockers, put them further away from chokepoints, remove vision from them, idk.
20 Mar 2021, 12:03 PM

То be true, you can upgrade your forward positions with FOB. That way you will also get some utility - you can swap to your FOB using F4 shortcut.

it cost more
Pip
20 Mar 2021, 16:31 PM

To be fair, I would expect this is at least communicated in-game, as the affected buildings will visibly not be in your territory.
20 Mar 2021, 17:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Mar 2021, 16:31 PMPip

To be fair, I would expect this is at least communicated in-game, as the affected buildings will visibly not be in your territory.

no its not clear visible especially this is never the case on other maps, the first time i wanted to use an ability on these houses, it drives me nuts. And believe me, any new player will think this is another relic classic bug.
20 Mar 2021, 17:17 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Mar 2021, 16:31 PMPip

depends. if the borders are close enough one might not notice.
the fact that this thread even exists makes it clear enough that the game DOESNT communicate it in game, or at least not well enough. if i own all the territory around the building im not going to stop and think "maybe the map maker doesnt like this ability that this commander that i purchased is built around and made it so it cant be used as described because of that"

i think beyond the obvious, inconsistency and lack of communication the thing that irks me is that mapmakers are not there to balance the game based on what they like or not, that is the job or the balance team and making it so entire commanders are neutered because they dont like it should disqualify those maps from being accepted into the official map pool.

maps designed specifically for certain abilities to not work have no place in rotation. personal balance belongs in mods, not in official maps.

if i decided to make a map and decided i didn't like heavy tanks and made the ingress for units too narrow for heavy tanks to be called in because i personally feel like they have no place in the game

or perhaps a map design that has streams through it that disallow mines or buildings (like emplacements) to be built because i dont like them would be equally unacceptable into the map pool

and especially if there is no information on this in game then that map has no place in rotation because no matter how I feel, they are part of the game and its not up to me as a map maker to decide which abilities are and are not allowed in the game. dissuading certain abilities is one thing, outlawing them entirely is another and sets an awful precedent
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★