Login

russian armor

Opponent started with high army value (bug? hack?)

5 Mar 2021, 14:58 PM

Hey folks,

can you explain this to me? It looks like one of the opposing OKW players started with a very high army value. How is this possible? Is it a display bug? Our team mate, who was positioned opposite of that OKW player, soon quit the game and so we quickly lost. I´ll appreciate any tips or help here! :-)

Best regards

redfox

PS: Oh, and: I´m new here and still a noob. Go easy with me :D
5 Mar 2021, 15:00 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Mar 2021, 14:58 PMredfox
Hey folks,

can you explain this to me? It looks like one of the opposing OKW players started with a very high army value. How is this possible? Is it a display bug? Our team mate, who was positioned opposite of that OKW player, soon quit the game and so we quickly lost. I´ll appreciate any tips or help here! :-)

Best regards

redfox

Maybe the base defences were credited to him? Idk if it works like that via score, guessing here.
Pip
5 Mar 2021, 15:03 PM

Was he the only OKW player? Can you view the replay? If so, does he appear to have anything unusual going on?

Xenarra might be right, and it might be crediting the Flak emplacements to him... though that's not something I've seen before.
5 Mar 2021, 15:05 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Mar 2021, 14:58 PMredfox
Hey folks,

Best regards

redfox

What Xenarra wrote would be my first guess, but just to be sure the next time:
On the bottom of your screenshot is a button called "Wiederholung" which allows you to watch the replay to see if something was wrong with the suspicious player.

You also have the chance to save a replay on your PC
5 Mar 2021, 15:12 PM

I am aware of the option to save the replay, however I failed to save this particular one because I assumed some kind of display bug. Stupid me, should have saved it right then and there! I guess it is not possible to save it now anymore?

I have never heard of the possibility to hack something like this. All I know of is cheesy sync-error tactics that apparently some people use.
5 Mar 2021, 15:14 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Mar 2021, 15:12 PMredfox
I am aware of the option to save the replay, however I failed to save this particular one because I assumed some kind of display bug. Stupid me, should have saved it right then and there! I guess it is not possible to save it now anymore?

I have never heard of the possibility to hack something like this. All I know of is cheesy sync-error tactics that apparently some people use.

If you have not started another game afterwards, the replay will still be in your system under 'temp'. 'Last played game' is still saved in your past replays automatically, in the game replays as a temporary file. The next game will overwrite the existing temp file. You can still view it in-game, but sounds like you'll want to keep the replay.

To save it properly, you'll need to make a copy:
Example file path (depends on your system and settings):
C:\Users\[Username]\OneDrive\Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes 2\playback

Copy & Paste the temp replay and make a copy with a different name.
5 Mar 2021, 15:32 PM

If you have not started another game afterwards, the replay will still be in your system under 'temp'. 'Last played game' is still saved in your past replays automatically, in the game replays as a temporary file. The next game will overwrite the existing temp file. You can still view it in-game, but sounds like you'll want to keep the replay.

To save it properly, you'll need to make a copy:
Example file path (depends on your system and settings):
C:\Users\[Username]\OneDrive\Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes 2\playback

Copy & Paste the temp replay and make a copy with a different name.

Thank you, that helped! The replay was still in "temp". I looked it up and there was nothing suspicious in it. Our mate just got outplayed horribly in the first engagements and never managed to take back any points or win any engagements, so that was just well played from the OKW guy (or bad from our dude). Anyways, case closed! Thanks guys.
5 Mar 2021, 15:32 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Mar 2021, 15:32 PMredfox

Thank you, that helped! The replay was still in "temp". I looked it up and there was nothing suspicious in it. Our mate just got outplayed horribly in the first engagements and never managed to take back any points or win any engagements, so that was just well played from the OKW guy (or bad from our dude). Anyways, case closed! Thanks guys.

Save the replay and upload it pls.
Pip
5 Mar 2021, 15:36 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Mar 2021, 15:32 PMredfox

Strange, I suppose it must've been something along the lines of what Xenarra stated, then. It'd be fairly obvious if he started with a greater number of units or something.

I wonder if this is a common bug?
5 Mar 2021, 15:38 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Those are just the OKW flak base bunkers which are credited to army value.

5 Mar 2021, 15:46 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Mar 2021, 15:32 PMVipper

Save the replay and upload it pls.

Here you go:

If it is to tone down my harsh critique of the other allied player, feel free to! My bro and I are incredible noobs and are eager to learn. Appreciate any advice (even though it's already getting better).
For some reason however, the matchups in allied 2-players matchmaking (for 2v2,3v3,4v4) seem A LOT harder than when I solo-queue (there were incredibly easy games in the past few encounters but I am still below 10 games so that could be due to placement issues).
5 Mar 2021, 15:46 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Mar 2021, 15:12 PMredfox

that's true, it is not (or should not) be possible to hack ressources or spawn in new units, as this would result in an immediate sync error and the match crashing. which would then count as drophacking of course.

I have 6500 hours in coh2 and I never saw ressource or unit hack. And I'm sure nobody else saw it either
Pip
5 Mar 2021, 15:52 PM

I have 6500 hours in coh2 and I never saw ressource or unit hack. And I'm sure nobody else saw it either

I can't say I've even heard of a resource or unit hack. I've heard of maphacks being used, but even then only anecdotally. (I wouldn't be shocked if they do exist though, I don't expect Lelic's anticheat to be unbeatable)
5 Mar 2021, 15:56 PM

Those are just the OKW flak base bunkers which are credited to army value.

This. One player always gets all the defenses to their name. And if they are OKW flak emplacements rather than bunkers, they count towards army value.
5 Mar 2021, 15:57 PM

This.

Should be viewed as a bug though, shouldn't it? In the context of the graph it does not really make sense.
Consequently, this should be patched.
Pip
5 Mar 2021, 15:59 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Mar 2021, 15:57 PMredfox

Should be viewed as a bug though, shouldn't it? In the context of the graph it does not really make sense.

It should, yes, but fixing it would likely require an AI be added to each team to control the base defences. It's not really worth the effort, I'm afraid.
5 Mar 2021, 16:02 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Mar 2021, 15:59 PMPip

It should, yes, but fixing it would likely require an AI be added to each team to control the base defences. It's not really worth the effort, I'm afraid.

Or you could just make a copy of the flak class and make a base flak class that is not counted as a unit.
5 Mar 2021, 16:08 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Mar 2021, 15:52 PMPip

I can't say I've even heard of a resource or unit hack. I've heard of maphacks being used, but even then only anecdotally. (I wouldn't be shocked if they do exist though, I don't expect Lelic's anticheat to be unbeatable)

yes, maphacking and drophacking 100% exists. And of course exploiting bugs if you count that as hack
5 Mar 2021, 16:12 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

+1 to elchinos post

These are the base defenses (have not watched the replay, but I have seen this multiple times in both my team and opponent teams). Your teammate lost because he played worse, not because OKW cheated
Pip
5 Mar 2021, 16:31 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Mar 2021, 16:02 PMredfox

Or you could just make a copy of the flak class and make a base flak class that is not counted as a unit.

This is also true, but its also work to fix a bug that doesn't affect gameplay. The balance team has limited time and resources to work with, and it's unlikely this is something worth investing either into.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 24
unknown 10
United States 7
United States 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %