Login

russian armor

IR HT's broken ability to come back

4 Mar 2021, 19:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Mar 2021, 13:39 PMMMX
not even sure if it was ever figured out what exactly caused the bug, but i'd say it's rather unlikely the 64 bit update fixed it by accident. or maybe it did, that would certainly be a welcome change to the usual introduction of new bugs with each new patch
A Question if you are willing to answer: what tools does the community have to fix bugs?? I'm curious as they don't posses source code or even the construction software used to build this game.
4 Mar 2021, 20:04 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post4 Mar 2021, 17:42 PMPip

Really? That's strange, I always assumed that the bug was related to the "detection" mechanic specifically, or some interaction with the way the Uhu's vision cone moves seperately to the unit. Maybe it's something to do with ignoring sightblocker checks instead, then? Planes must use a different mechanism, as they ignore sightblockers but don't cause the bug (to my knowledge).

I'd never really thought to ask, but was the Uhu bug specific to the Uhu, or can/does it occur on other units with "detection" (In fact, thinking about it, other Detection abilities don't quite have the same effect as the Uhu's did, do they?)

God knows why Lelic thought it'd be a good idea to let the Puma of all things see through sightblockers, though I wasn't aware it ever had an ability like that. Even if it wasnt bugged, an ability like that on the Puma would be far too strong, I think.

Should had word it different in order to avoid confusion. Let me explain in details as there are several degrees of problems.

-The "green search light", be it in a cone like the UHU or on a circular area like the old Valentine used to have, are the ones that produced the permanent maphack detection. That mechanic will never re-appear in the game.
-The UHU had some other bug which made you able to put the beam in a fixed position although not reliable to do so. Probable any kind of pendulum behaviour is not gonna make it back if possible.

-The Puma didn't provide vision around sightblockers but highlighted units which were close. It was not an issue cause it required vet5. It's been several years and i might be wrong as i only saw it a couple of times.
Right now, the vet5 Puma reveals units in the minimap.

Olekmans mod looks good but it would probable require people to test ALL sorts of combinations of status changes before re-introducing any sort of new mechanic for a unit which has limited used and is generally fringe.

The game has historically had problems with stacking issues.

Pip
4 Mar 2021, 20:11 PM

Should had word it different in order to avoid confusion. Let me explain in details as there are several degrees of problems.

-The "green search light", be it in a cone like the UHU or on a circular area like the old Valentine used to have, are the ones that produced the permanent maphack detection. That mechanic will never re-appear in the game.
-The UHU had some other bug which made you able to put the beam in a fixed position although not reliable to do so. Probable any kind of pendulum behaviour is not gonna make it back if possible.

-The Puma didn't provide vision around sightblockers but highlighted units which were close. It was not an issue cause it required vet5. It's been several years and i might be wrong as i only saw it a couple of times.
Right now, the vet5 Puma reveals units in the minimap.

Olekmans mod looks good but it would probable require people to test ALL sorts of combinations of status changes before re-introducing any sort of new mechanic for a unit which has limited used and is generally fringe.

The game has historically had problems with stacking issues.

The Uhu still has the Pendulum behaviour, doesn't it? Or have I just not used the damn thing in so long that I didn't notice it stopped doing it when it went from being a detection machine into an LoS machine?

As for the rest of your post, Ah, fair enough, my mistake. I misunderstood you. I'll also agree its probably not worth the Balance team's time to bother with anything like this anyway, assuming the Recon Plane is well enough balanced for the Uhu. As you say; its an incredibly niche unit, and there are plenty of opportunities to cause unwanted bugs.
MMX
5 Mar 2021, 17:09 PM

A Question if you are willing to answer: what tools does the community have to fix bugs?? I'm curious as they don't posses source code or even the construction software used to build this game.

i'm probably the wrong person to ask, but i don't think anyone has other means to check for bugs than the official modding tools. so it comes down to trial and error - a lot of it.
5 Mar 2021, 17:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Mar 2021, 17:09 PMMMX

i'm probably the wrong person to ask, but i don't think anyone has other means to check for bugs than the official modding tools. so it comes down to trial and error - a lot of it.

So are you saying the only types of bugs that can be fixed are those that can be altered by the official modding tools. Jesus that's rough.
MMX
5 Mar 2021, 17:37 PM

So are you saying the only types of bugs that can be fixed are those that can be altered by the official modding tools. Jesus that's rough.

well, by the community anyway. everything beyond this has to be done by relic afaik. that's why some bugs are deemed unfixable and any unit/ ability associated with them is most likely to be axed
Pip
5 Mar 2021, 17:40 PM

99% of the time, yes. Lelic /might/ make an effort to do something about stuff that can't be changed with the modding tools (The recent 64 bit addition, and the subsequent series of hotfixes, for example), but this is exceedingly rare, and most changes are made by the balance team, who only have access to the Mod Tools.
5 Mar 2021, 20:37 PM

The mechanic itself (any kind of beam that reveals units) is bugged and no one was able to fix it in 6/7 years. Which is why it was first removed from the Valentine and later on removed from the IR HT.

Would it be possible to use the same code that Tank Awareness and similar abilities use?
5 Mar 2021, 20:43 PM

Would it be possible to use the same code that Tank Awareness and similar abilities use?

Tank awareness gives mini map information and IR already has such an ability as timed ability with mu cost (it should be free since kubel get a similar ability for free).

IRHT should have sight of 50 as other reckon vehicles.

For IRHT I simply prefer Sneakeye mod implementation with a timed ability.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★