Login

russian armor

Smartie's commander reworks: OKW

15 Jan 2021, 09:34 AM

HI guys,
in anticipation of a new patch focusing on commander improvements (https://www.coh2.org/file/19295/pogchamp.png) I worked on some proposals for Soviets, OKW and USF.

Here are my general thoughts about such a patch:
• There are only 2 factions imo that would need bigger commander reworks like those in the past: Wehrmacht and Soviets. Both have multiple underperforming commanders with poor design. In contrast to those factions UK, USF and OKW commanders are mostly fine. It’s more about fine-tuning them instead of reworking – result of the good changes in the past!

That being said here are my ideas to improve the OKW commander pool:

OKW rework ideas:

Specical operation:

Luftwaffe Ground Forces

Firestorm:

Fortress

Elite Armor&Grand Offensive:
TigerI (as well as Pershing and IS-2) needs a minor buff as well as the 221. 221 comes later and is much more expensive than the UC or the Soviet Scout Car but can’t fight off these vehicles. A minor buff is needed and justified especially after the Brits can counter it with early engis now.

It comes without saying that my ideas are not exhaustive. Many roads lead to Rome.
Please provide constructive feedback and make your own proposals here. We all have the same goal:
Make the Coh2 commander pool as good as possible.

15 Jan 2021, 09:47 AM

I do like idea of officer instead of flares and ostwind for luftwaffe. For fortifications i would leave be as it is still one of the popukar commanders and it has well defined role it performs well.
15 Jan 2021, 09:54 AM

You cant really nerf the Opel Blitz durabiility as part of its job is to provide a support aura to inf.. and since it does not work on backline support teams its needs to be up front with inf.

If it was even more slow and squishy it couldnt do the role its supposed to provide.

Unlike the ambo. Which isnt commander locked and doesnt have that mechanic.
15 Jan 2021, 09:56 AM

You cant nerf the Opel Blitz durabiility as part of its job is to provide a support aura to inf.. and since it does not work on backline support teams its needs to be up front with inf.

Unlike the ambo. Which isnt commander locked and doesnt have that mechanic.

It needs to be behind inf, not right next to them.
15 Jan 2021, 10:33 AM

Luft:
Fall back in being a infiltration unit instead of airdropped one.

Fire storm:
MP-40 VG a separate unit instead of upgrade.
incendiary round replaced by a Mortar that can fire incendiary rounds flamer merged here.

Fortress

redesign as defensive artillery zeroing artillery cp lower/mu cost lowered/area changed power level reduced.
15 Jan 2021, 11:10 AM

I still don't understand why many people think IRStg44 should be single commander ability,it be call-in special unit will more useful than now
15 Jan 2021, 15:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jan 2021, 10:33 AMVipper
Luft:

Why? There were some Falls paradropped during the Ardennes offensive and the paradrop in game is cool. I like the idea of getting rid of the bundle grenade. Would take a Panzerfaust and Vet 1 Blendkorper for the Fallschirmjagers.

On the topic of Luftwaffe, Valiant Assault is a dumb ability and should be reworked.
15 Jan 2021, 16:10 PM

Personally I think only Special Operations and possibly Firestorm really needs changes. Most of the commanders in OKW have some use in one gamemode or another and most have several unique abilities.

For Firestorm I think work mostly should be done to the Mp40 Volks. I would prefer to see them get some help whatever that ends up being. Maybe it could give more Mp40s and turn the volks into a full on CQC squad?

Special Operations is the one that needs the most work imo.
Radio Silence should probably just get a complete rework to it. Something like it wouldn't of block the tactical map, and instead friendly units are harder to detect (imagine something like the Luchs cautious movement). Adjust cost/cooldown as needed.
Then for Artillery Flares I would personally prefer those become an ability on either the Command Panther or tanks in general. Limit their range so their is a greater risk when trying to get sight on an artillery piece really far behind enemy lines.
15 Jan 2021, 16:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jan 2021, 15:51 PMSpoof

Why? There were some Falls paradropped during the Ardennes offensive and the paradrop in game is cool. I like the idea of getting rid of the bundle grenade. Would take a Panzerfaust and Vet 1 Blendkorper for the Fallschirmjagers.

On the topic of Luftwaffe, Valiant Assault is a dumb ability and should be reworked.

For many reasons will just mention few:
OKW used to have 2 infiltration units and now have none

4 men para are easy to lose during deployment

It would open the road of creating a airdropped fall of ostheer commander with mode model.

15 Jan 2021, 16:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jan 2021, 16:26 PMVipper

Do they need any? If so, why?

Don't deploy them in the middle of combat.

It would open the road of creating a airdropped fall of ostheer commander with mode model.

Again, do they need any? If so, why?

Not having something isn't a ground to give it, unless there is a valid situation that calls for it, usually as a result in heavy nerfs elsewhere. You know, like UKF AT nades.
15 Jan 2021, 16:37 PM

Personally Most of the commanders in OKW have some use in one gamemode or another and most have several unique abilities.

Agreed on this, that's why I wrote:
It’s more about fine-tuning them instead of reworking – result of the good changes in the past!

But a closer look at some of the commanders shows that there is still room for improvement:
An example:
- Zero arty in "Fortress" is the game's most expensive off map ability but does not have nearly the same impact as other 12CP abilities.
- Heavy Fortifications and Field Defenses have huge overlaps, these 2 commander slots could easily be merged. We just need to take a look at Whrmacht's Defensive structures ability which offers as much stuff as "Heavy Fortifications and "Field Defenses" together.

There is more than enough room for 1 more ability in this commander.
15 Jan 2021, 20:36 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jan 2021, 10:33 AMVipper
Luft:

Fire storm:
MP-40 VG a separate unit instead of upgrade.
incendiary round replaced by a Mortar that can fire incendiary rounds flamer merged here.

Fortress

redesign as defensive artillery zeroing artillery cp lower/mu cost lowered/area changed power level reduced.

I agree about Falls. Their design now is just dumb. A move and press valiant assault. And the only reason to go Falls over Obers is that Falls come earlier. The playsytle is identical. Just make Falls 5man with weapons like commandos or storm. And adjust valiant assault to something fun and not i click button=i win.

Other things about Okw:
1. IR Stg: They are inferior to lmgs and wierd to use. Maybe make them a separate call-in unit with 5 cp and 5 Man and adjust their dps to current lvl.
2. Maybe think about Sturmtiger in elite armor. It doesnt synergise with heat shells or panzer commander.
3. The heavy bunker with repair upgrade could be nice to have for fortification doc.
4. Pfussie with shrecks seems kinda underwhelming. Maybe give them teller mines.
5. The sturm officier has two worthless abilities. Mark target got nerfed too much and the force retreat shouldnt buff other units. And maybe you could swap vet 2 with 4. They bleed way too hard with 5 man and no rec acc.
15 Jan 2021, 21:49 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jan 2021, 20:36 PMGeblobt

Other things about Okw:
3. The heavy bunker with repair upgrade could be nice to have for fortification doc.
4. Pfussie with shrecks seems kinda underwhelming. Maybe give them teller mines.

- Repair bunker for Fortress would be nice, indeed. 2cm flak and mg bunker have identical roles so you could replace the bunker from Field defenses with the concrete bunker.
- Agreed on the Pfussis, if I remember it correctly they had tellers at the start of the new commander patch but lost it. If Rangers can get triple zooks then Pfussis can get tellers.
Pfussis as AT support unit to a volks build is not seen very often. It would be nice if the unit would get more flavor as real AT unit.
Pip
15 Jan 2021, 22:01 PM

Personally I think only Special Operations and possibly Firestorm really needs changes. Most of the commanders in OKW have some use in one gamemode or another and most have several unique abilities.

For Firestorm I think work mostly should be done to the Mp40 Volks. I would prefer to see them get some help whatever that ends up being. Maybe it could give more Mp40s and turn the volks into a full on CQC squad?

Special Operations is the one that needs the most work imo.
Radio Silence should probably just get a complete rework to it. Something like it wouldn't of block the tactical map, and instead friendly units are harder to detect (imagine something like the Luchs cautious movement). Adjust cost/cooldown as needed.
Then for Artillery Flares I would personally prefer those become an ability on either the Command Panther or tanks in general. Limit their range so their is a greater risk when trying to get sight on an artillery piece really far behind enemy lines.

How are you going to give Volks more than five MP40s? They only have five men in a squad!

The MP40 upgrade in Feuersturm already gives ever member of the squad MP40s, and turns it into a "proper" CQC squad. It's a really nice upgrade, in a really nice commander. As Smartie has suggested, giving it some sort of AT solution would be nice... though I don't think giving Sturms a HEAT grenade would be meaningful. I'm not sure what else to give the commander, however.
15 Jan 2021, 22:15 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jan 2021, 21:49 PMSmartie

Pfussis as AT support unit to a volks build is not seen very often. It would be nice if the unit would get more flavor as real AT unit.

Mostly because a Pfusis suck without upgrades but are still expensive. So no point getting a supporting squad on when you could just get a 4th Volks, and no point getting them mid game because the manpower is spent better somewhere else.
15 Jan 2021, 22:16 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jan 2021, 20:36 PMGeblobt

I agree about Falls. Their design now is just dumb. A move and press valiant assault. And the only reason to go Falls over Obers is that Falls come earlier. The playsytle is identical. Just make Falls 5man with weapons like commandos or storm. And adjust valiant assault to something fun and not i click button=i win.

Other things about Okw:
1. IR Stg: They are inferior to lmgs and wierd to use. Maybe make them a separate call-in unit with 5 cp and 5 Man and adjust their dps to current lvl.
2. Maybe think about Sturmtiger in elite armor. It doesnt synergise with heat shells or panzer commander.
5. The sturm officier has two worthless abilities. Mark target got nerfed too much and the force retreat shouldnt buff other units. And maybe you could swap vet 2 with 4. They bleed way too hard with 5 man and no rec acc.

Falls are fine. Valiant Assault is not. The 4 FG42s are infinitely more cool than Valiant Assault. Agree with IR StGs having little use and Sturmtiger not synergizing well with the commander.
16 Jan 2021, 05:11 AM

Agree with the most of what u said, but I think Heavy Fortifications fit Luftwaffe Ground Forces too because it has AA flak emplacement, but I also Agree that Ostwind should be in this commander too ,so my suggestion is replacing Heavy Fortifications with Heavy air defences, that include both flak emplacements and Ostwind.
16 Jan 2021, 05:19 AM

I disagree with the Opel Blitz durabiility nerf , it gives muni reduction for abilities to the nearby infantry, and its role is to be in the front lines unlike the ambulance, and it cost alot more than ambulance and came much later, where many AT and maybe tanks are already on the field.
16 Jan 2021, 05:43 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jan 2021, 16:26 PMVipper

Totally disagree, I want my Falls to came from the sky lol, and they are really fine like they are.

I totally disagree again, don't balance Ostheer and OKW by making them as much similar to each other, I disagree with the idea of adding OKW units to Ostheer and vice versa, this factions should be diverse from each others and they already have many shared units between them.

16 Jan 2021, 05:47 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Jan 2021, 16:37 PMSmartie

Agreed on this, that's why I wrote:
It’s more about fine-tuning them instead of reworking – result of the good changes in the past!

But a closer look at some of the commanders shows that there is still room for improvement:
An example:
- Zero arty in "Fortress" is the game's most expensive off map ability but does not have nearly the same impact as other 12CP abilities.
- Heavy Fortifications and Field Defenses have huge overlaps, these 2 commander slots could easily be merged. We just need to take a look at Whrmacht's Defensive structures ability which offers as much stuff as "Heavy Fortifications and "Field Defenses" together.

There is more than enough room for 1 more ability in this commander.

Agree.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight