Login

russian armor

It's time for Main Gun Crits to go

PAGES (7)down
13 Dec 2020, 18:42 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Dec 2020, 17:21 PMPip

I'd still advocate for outright removal.

Outright removal of these crits is a loss for coh2 a big loss. I and lots more have loved them since day 1 of the original coh.

Why chance the unique thing when other games fit your criteria perfectly?
Why let one tiny chance of bad luck ruin your fun in the game?
Pip
13 Dec 2020, 18:47 PM

Outright removal of these crits is a loss for coh2 a big loss. I and lots more have loved them since day 1 of the original coh.

Why chance the unique thing when other games fit your criteria perfectly?
Why let one tiny chance of bad luck ruin your fun in the game?

Which other RTS match COH2, but without egregious random factors like Main Gun Crits? No, Starcraft, AOE2, Warcraft, etc are nothing like CoH2.

If it's an infinitesimally, and meaninglessly tiny chance then why do you care if its even in the game?
13 Dec 2020, 18:55 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Dec 2020, 18:47 PMPip

Which other RTS match COH2, but without egregious random factors like Main Gun Crits? No, Starcraft, AOE2, Warcraft, etc are nothing like CoH2.

If it's an infinitesimally, and meaninglessly tiny chance then why do you care if its even in the game?

Because it gives a layer of unpredictability excitement unlike any other game does. I love helping hans with "where is my luck in this game" or von ivan "that was/is unfortunate" or in my own games when a big tank looses his gun when he was about to kill my medium tank or at gun. Yeah it sucks at the moment it happens to me, but soon after i still enjoyed the esp if i still managed to win it afterwards.

I do love dow2 as well, but compared to coh2 is quite clean and predictable, a lot less fun because of it.
Pip
13 Dec 2020, 19:05 PM

Because it gives a layer of unpredictability excitement unlike any other game does. I love helping hans with "where is my luck in this game" or von ivan "that was/is unfortunate" or in my own games when a big tank looses his gun when he was about to kill my medium tank or at gun. Yeah it sucks at the moment it happens to me, but soon after i still enjoyed the esp if i still managed to win it afterwards.

I do love dow2 as well, but compared to coh2 is quite clean and predictable, a lot less fun because of it.

I suppose there's the difference, because I find nothing particularly fun about random events I have no control over.
13 Dec 2020, 19:13 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Dec 2020, 19:05 PMPip

I suppose there's the difference, because I find nothing particularly fun about random events I have no control over.

Evey time a shot if fired by your troops or against your troops it is decide by RNG you have no control over. Critical is simply an added effect.
Pip
13 Dec 2020, 19:18 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Dec 2020, 19:13 PMVipper

Evey time a shot if fired by your troops or against your troops it is decide by RNG you have no control over. Critical is simply an added effect.

You do have control over that, it's based on distance, cover, and type of troop. If the game could be balanced without Accuracy being a factor, I would advocate for that being removed as well, but it's not a realistic thing to expect.

Random gun criticals are not comparable.

If accuracy were removed right now, the game would become unplayably unbalanced. If main gun criticals were removed, the game balance would not change, it would merely remove frustration. They're gone in tournament mode for a reason.
13 Dec 2020, 19:21 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Dec 2020, 19:18 PMPip

You do have control over that, it's based on distance, cover, and type of troop. If the game could be balanced without Accuracy being a factor, I would advocate for that being removed as well, but it's not a realistic thing to expect.

Random gun criticals are not comparable.

If accuracy were removed right now, the game would become unplayably unbalanced. If main gun criticals were removed, the game balance would not change, it would merely remove frustration. They're gone in tournament mode for a reason.

No one might have "some" control before the shot is fired, once fired it is RNG as it also RNG that the shot might have an added effect.

What increases one;s chance to penetrate vs a damage target also increase the chance of scoring a critical.
Pip
13 Dec 2020, 19:36 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Dec 2020, 19:21 PMVipper

No one might have "some" control before the shot is fired, once fired it is RNG as it also RNG that the shot might have an added effect.

What increases one;s chance to penetrate vs a damage target also increase the chance of scoring a critical.

Pointless extra RNG on top of RNG with actual game-design/balance connotations is what is being decried here.

Gun and other criticals add nothing to the game other than frustration. Again, they are removed for a reason in Tournament mode. Flame crits were similarly removed from the game entirely for a reason.
13 Dec 2020, 19:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Dec 2020, 18:47 PMPip

Funny you mention Warcraft, because crits most definitely are in it, as well as random dodges, its hero specific, but game is hero focused so...

Also, it's an infinitesimally, and meaninglessly tiny chance then why do you care so much for its removal?
13 Dec 2020, 20:04 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Dec 2020, 19:48 PMKatitof

Also, it's an infinitesimally, and meaninglessly tiny chance then why do you care so much for its removal?

... Maybe because it can decide a game based on a coinflip, and there is barely any reason to play around it since its based on whether or not the coin lands on its edge? Abandons and weapon drops all fall into this category, where you use your unit as intended but it backfires and has the chance of deciding the game.

Id advocate for earlier mentions of not removing these crits, but changing them such that there is a way of calculating the outcome, examples of solutions here would be tying weapon drops to wipes, abandons to flame damage (ie only lightvehicles would have a risk of abandoning) and maybe guncrits could be a 100% crit upon "snaring" a vehicle with less than 10% hp? Just suggestions
13 Dec 2020, 20:10 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Dec 2020, 20:04 PMElpern

... Maybe because it can decide a game based on a coinflip, and there is barely any reason to play around it since its based on whether or not the coin lands on its edge? Abandons and weapon drops all fall into this category, where you use your unit as intended but it backfires and has the chance of deciding the game.

Id advocate for earlier mentions of not removing these crits, but changing them such that there is a way of calculating the outcome, examples of solutions here would be tying weapon drops to wipes, abandons to flame damage (ie only lightvehicles would have a risk of abandoning) and maybe guncrits could be a 100% crit upon "snaring" a vehicle with less than 10% hp? Just suggestions

Again, it happens at 25% or less.
You already lost an engagement and relay on purest luck if you expect to get out/win at that health threshold.

Situations where 2 units are at 25% are even more rare then these crits that decide exclusively this kind of engagements.
Pip
13 Dec 2020, 20:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Dec 2020, 20:10 PMKatitof

Again, it happens at 25% or less.
You already lost an engagement and relay on purest luck if you expect to get out/win at that health threshold.

Situations where 2 units are at 25% are even more rare then these crits that decide exclusively this kind of engagements.

And why should they decide even these engagements? It's glaring and horrendously frustrating when it does happen. There is no benefit to their being in the game, unless you enjoy pointless RNG, and I really can't see why that's fun at all.
13 Dec 2020, 20:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Dec 2020, 19:36 PMPip

Pointless extra RNG on top of RNG with actual game-design/balance connotations is what is being decried here.

Gun and other criticals add nothing to the game other than frustration. Again, they are removed for a reason in Tournament mode. Flame crits were similarly removed from the game entirely for a reason.

You flame critical are not really a good example since in practice they would extra damage, it was the equivalent of a shot doing double damage.

But the point remain. Every shot in this game is RNG yet you have little issue with shot the hit or miss if penetrates or it bounces and for some strange reason you have issue with criticals.

(edited to penetration)
Pip
13 Dec 2020, 20:44 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Dec 2020, 20:35 PMVipper

You flame critical are not really a good example since in practice they would extra damage, it was the equivalent of a shot doing double damage.

But the point remain. Every shot in this game is RNG yet you have little issue with shot the hit or miss and for some strange reason you have issue with criticals.

I've already said that I'd prefer if accuracy wasn't a part of the game's damage equation, but that isnt something that can be realistically done away with, not without entirely redesigning the combat model, and it wouldn't necessarily be an improvement.

Crits are not in the same ballpark. Removal of crits is very easy, does not affect balance, and will have 0 negative effects on the game.

Please don't tell me what I do and do not have a problem with, particularly when you are quite so mistaken.
13 Dec 2020, 20:46 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Dec 2020, 20:44 PMPip

I've already said that I'd prefer if accuracy wasn't a part of the game's damage equation, but that isnt something that can be realistically done away with, not without entirely redesigning the combat model, and it wouldn't necessarily be an improvement.

Crits are not in the same ballpark. Removal of crits is very easy, does not affect balance, and will have 0 negative effects on the game.

Please don't tell me what I do and do not have a problem with, particularly when you are quite so mistaken.

So why should accuracy be removed and not penetration?
Pip
13 Dec 2020, 20:47 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Dec 2020, 20:46 PMVipper

So why should accuracy be removed and not penetration?

It should, but cannot and will not be for the same reason as accuracy. Are you going somewhere with this?
13 Dec 2020, 20:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Dec 2020, 20:47 PMPip

It should, but cannot and will not be for the same reason as accuracy. Are you going somewhere with this?

So in you opinion all shots should do damage, correct?
13 Dec 2020, 20:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Dec 2020, 20:33 PMPip

And why should they decide even these engagements? It's glaring and horrendously frustrating when it does happen. There is no benefit to their being in the game, unless you enjoy pointless RNG, and I really can't see why that's fun at all.

You can say exact same thing about potential miss or armor bounce.
You really have no argument for removing it.
Pip
13 Dec 2020, 20:55 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Dec 2020, 20:51 PMKatitof

You can say exact same thing about potential miss or armor bounce.
You really have no argument for removing it.

I've made perfectly cogent arguments. Whether or not you agree with them doesn't, in fact, invalidate that.

I've also already commented on Accuracy and Penetration. It would be preferable if they were not part of the game, but they are unavoidable parts of game design at this stage. I'm really not seeing where either you or Vipper are going with this.

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Dec 2020, 20:48 PMVipper

So in you opinion all shots should do damage, correct?

I've made my opinion clear, Vipper. It's not relevant to the discussion of Random Criticals.
13 Dec 2020, 21:26 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Dec 2020, 20:55 PMPip

I've made my opinion clear, Vipper. It's not relevant to the discussion of Random Criticals.

I am simply trying to understand. If you do not like Penetration and accuracy checks than you simply do not like RNG and you have every right to like or not like it simply is not specifically for criticals.
PAGES (7)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS