Login

russian armor

Help, I am always being overrun!

12 Aug 2020, 14:28 PM

Hey guys,

I have started to play the game after a almost 2 year long hiatus. Some games went really well (I play UKF and Sovs), but now I am currently on a 10 game losing streak and most of the time I lose because I cannot stand the blob of Axis (mostly OKW) units.

It feels like my units don't do damage and I personally don't get why. I know, Cons are not meant to do the main damage, but what should I do else?

My build order as UKF:

Section, Section, MG, (Section), T2, Sappers, Weapons, 2x PIAT for Sappers, T3, Cromwell ...... Anvil, Crocodile

I don't know how to counter the 3-5 units Volks blobs because even in green cover my units get annihilated as fuck and usually I lose 2-4 sections before my Cromwell appears (I know that is a micro issue, but usually I retreat with at least 50% health and 2 models).
AEC sucks ass against inf, emplacements suck in general. Vickers deals decent damage but I need suppression, not damage!

My build order as Sov:
Cons, Cons, Cons, Cons, Engies, T2, T3, T70, T4, T34/85, SU85

Can anybody help me out?
It feels like only I have to search for cover with my units while EVERY engagement that is not from a fortified position is lost immediately.

Thanks!

12 Aug 2020, 16:05 PM

I think you need an MG in that sov build order m8. + mines, mines ,mines galore. Other more high leveled sov and ukf players will probs give you similar but better answers.
12 Aug 2020, 16:08 PM

I know im not really that good myself, but as UKF I never ever get a HMG in early game.
Just get another Section and keep them in cover. This works quite often quite good to prevent getting overrun. Ofc this doesnt work all the time, but it works better for me than getting a HMG

Also I wouldn't say that emplacements suck in general.

( once again stating that im not a top player )

In team games and even in 1 vs 1 I had a lot of situations where I prevented an OKW player from overrunning me / us by placing a Bofor. I would advice you to try this. Also remember the Indirect fire mode of the Bofor. Will prevent your Bofor from getting killed by a raketen.
12 Aug 2020, 16:24 PM

I might guess that your mistake is having "a" build order. Especially one that goes right from a few T0/1 core inf straight into a medium tank.

That's not an unheard of build, but if you really see a lot of enemy core inf (common strategy atm) you should - believe it or not - react to enemy build and get more anti-infantry units ;-)

For example Maxim, mortar, Bren carrier with Vickers, sniper, penals... All of these are strong tools for bleeding or suppressing enemy inf spam.

This will help you control the map and thus bring your medium tank in earlier anyway.

P.s. mods... State office maybe? :-)
12 Aug 2020, 17:16 PM

As Euan said, adapt your build order - to the map and your opponents composition -
you can have a build order for the first 5 units, afterwards you should build what you need.

As ukf, cut the early vickers unless youre playing on crossing or other open maps and maybe learn to play with and vickers uc. specially against okw, when they spam 4-5 (inclusing sturms) infantry squads just return the spam. build up to 5 sections if you have to. consider commandos or double flamer build for urban maps
and dont get piats unless you absolutely have to

with soviets, mix in a maxim or guard/shock before your t70 and spam mines. dont take equal number fights with cons unless you have the better cover or can stall.
merge as much as you can into your flamer/maxim, keep em fighting and mining for as long as possible
demos around a corner or at building can get you some easy wipes
You have to accept that okw has the stronger early game, let them have the fuel if they rush it. try to win the manpower war with your flamer early on.

12 Aug 2020, 17:29 PM

Learn to use the clowncar against OKW and go penals. But don't upgade AT rifles to everyone so you won't lose engagements agains mainline infantry. You should also start using shocks or guards in your build. Shocks for example shut down assaultgrenadiers pretty effectively but require you have AT to shut down the 222.
12 Aug 2020, 22:42 PM

AEC does *not* suck ass against infantry units, lol.

It can wreck any light German vehicle, and has sufficent DPS against infantry. They are brutal. xD

But like with any vehicle, you've got to keep it supported.

As for Soviets, consider building a Penal. They own the field early game until your opponent PG's/STG44's and they can still kill a unit or two before you are forced to retreat with them.

They also have an AT package with a homing AT grenade (I call it a curveball, because if your vehicle is retreating at an angle, the grenade will actually 'curve' toward your vehicle.)

IMO shock troops are the best AI units in the game for what they do. 6 man, High DPS at close range with body armor and a twitch grenade. Their timing is great as well.

I've tried a vetted Ober MG34 squad that has ambushed Shocks over open ground; not good enough.

I've used an MG34 Obers backed up with a vetted Volks squad. Usually this works, but sometimes the MG34 does not damage quickly enough and is naded.

The only thing that I have found that works as OKW that is not an emplacement/vehicle/mg, is two Fallschimjagers with double FG-42's. And they have to be spread out because that twitch grenade really put a number on them.

Fallschirms are actually better that Obers even though they are not as tough; they can get on the field early enough to do some good.

Keep in mind my experiences are mainly 1v1.

So, in conclusion, you may want to supplant your conscripts with penals and shocks.
13 Aug 2020, 00:05 AM

Hey guys,

I have started to play the game after a almost 2 year long hiatus. Some games went really well (I play UKF and Sovs), but now I am currently on a 10 game losing streak and most of the time I lose because I cannot stand the blob of Axis (mostly OKW) units.

It feels like my units don't do damage and I personally don't get why. I know, Cons are not meant to do the main damage, but what should I do else?

My build order as UKF:

Section, Section, MG, (Section), T2, Sappers, Weapons, 2x PIAT for Sappers, T3, Cromwell ...... Anvil, Crocodile

I don't know how to counter the 3-5 units Volks blobs because even in green cover my units get annihilated as fuck and usually I lose 2-4 sections before my Cromwell appears (I know that is a micro issue, but usually I retreat with at least 50% health and 2 models).
AEC sucks ass against inf, emplacements suck in general. Vickers deals decent damage but I need suppression, not damage!

My build order as Sov:
Cons, Cons, Cons, Cons, Engies, T2, T3, T70, T4, T34/85, SU85

Can anybody help me out?
It feels like only I have to search for cover with my units while EVERY engagement that is not from a fortified position is lost immediately.

Thanks!

in uk pull out an isntant mg , most people do this , then inf sections and or a carrier

in soviet bring penals and or guard rifles combined with your cons or a sniper

in usa , riflemen are good out of the box , so you good there

this all early game
13 Aug 2020, 01:54 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I don't want to disrespect you guys but IGNORE whatever the 2 guys above said IF you are playing 1v1 against OH with soviets. Read Creative Name suggestion.

The meta with OH right now is Ostruppen/AG/Pio + MG42 into fast T2 and light vehicle play. This type of play wrecks Penal openings and Maxim spam is no longer a thing.

Mix a Shock/Guard/Maxim before the T70. You will never get it on a timely fashion to recover from the mp loss from playing mass conscripts. If you go for 2nd engineer i would try cutting down to 3 Conscripts. Make effective usage of your munitions early on.

If you make it to T70 in timely fashion before a PIV or to the late game, you are generally in a better position.

NOW against OKW, Penal and T1 openings are way more viable. Notice i don't say anything about snipers, cause if you are strugglying atm, it's better to use simple things without over spending precious micro on high risk units, slow return value units.

You will struggle early on. OKW has a faster tech so you will always face a fast Flak HT or more probable a P2 + Puma. You want to take better mp trades rather than going blow for blow for territory control.
Once you get the T70 out you should make the most out of it as the transition to late game and medium tanks is one of the vulnerable spots of OKW.

With UKF i'll put it simple. You can cut down the Vickers for another IS. You should use the AEC + Bolster on basically every game. Ignore piats early on as an AT source. If floating munitions, nades are gonna be a better investments.
You have better blobs than OKW.

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS