Login

russian armor

AEC and Bofors Tech.

16 Jul 2020, 17:18 PM

I would like to begin with the fact that I played a lot of Brits fairly recently, so I suppose I know what I am talking about (kind of my Main on par with the Soviets).

So, I would like to say, that, I find AEC to be kinda too good, especially for 2v2s. I don't play 3v3s-4v4s (due to a very weak laptop), but I've seen games, where AEC can be used to cripple Heavy tanks, which is already rather convincing about it powerlevel. I don't even have to talk about how it can completely annihilate Axis LV play, except if there is a Puma on the field, which is a rarity. And then we remember that AEC is also good vs PIVs.
By that I wanted to say, that the cost of the AEC tech, as well as the cost of the unit itself, should be increased.
My proposed change is to make the AEC tech cost from 15 to 20Fuel + Increase time of the tech by 10s. The cost of the AEC itself from 280MP 60Fuel to 300MP 65Fuel. The change is not too big, but it's good for a beginning, to see if the change is worth it.

Now, let's talk about the Bofors... Pretty much everyone here can agree that Emplacements, by design, are outdated and are too easy of a target for artillery, and, in such modes as 3v3-4v4 only can be somewhat useful, but for a very small window, again, due to arty (again, I suppose and can be wrong, if I am-tell me). So I thought, what about to buff the Bofors a bit? Give it a cost decrease for the tech from 15Fuel to 10, with 15s decrease in the required time, while the Bofors itself has a Fuel cost increase (up to 40), and MP cost decrease (no idea how much MP it costs, I never use it). I also wanted to make the Bofors tech decrease the cost of the Mortar pit from 350MP to 320-300MP, but the increase in the cost of the tech itself up to 20Fuel +MP, to make it somewhat fair.

If I am wrong, or if my idea is trash, tell me! But let's be civil.
16 Jul 2020, 17:34 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Personally, the best way for the AEC to be adjusted would be the timing. It arrives extremely early, hence why I usually say on moving Hammer and Anvil to the T1 structure. 50 fuel teching cost would push it back to a proper timing while not affecting the late game too much.

The Bofors is complicated. Performance wise, it does great. This issue is the lack of a mobile mortar. Leigs and G34 mortars do great against it as they should. But it can be hard to attack these units seeing investing into both a mortar pit and bofors not only costs an extreme amount of manpower but also time. Additionally, UKF lack any late game indirect. A 25 pounder emplacement, Sexton, or land mattress needs to be available non doctrinally. Then we need to look a brace, I would not mind seeing to go or moved the advance emplacements as it help denies many attacks and doctrinal abilities with a click of a button. Assuming the faction can help protect through better indirect, it would need to go. Lastly, Advance Emplacement Regiment. Primarily, the repair ability. This ability should not repair structures and units in combat, in return the repair radius could increase.
16 Jul 2020, 18:08 PM

Personally, the best way for the AEC to be adjusted would be the timing. It arrives extremely early, hence why I usually say on moving Hammer and Anvil to the T1 structure. 50 fuel teching cost would push it back to a proper timing while not affecting the late game too much.

I do agree that the timing of the AEC is the main problem, but it's also the powerlevel of the unit which makes it extremely good. I think to find the middle ground between increasing its cost because of power and increasing timing is the best solution.

The Bofors is complicated. Performance wise, it does great. This issue is the lack of a mobile mortar. Leigs and G34 mortars do great against it as they should. But it can be hard to attack these units seeing investing into both a mortar pit and bofors not only costs an extreme amount of manpower but also time. Additionally, UKF lack any late game indirect. A 25 pounder emplacement, Sexton, or land mattress needs to be available non doctrinally. Then we need to look a brace, I would not mind seeing to go or moved the advance emplacements as it help denies many attacks and doctrinal abilities with a click of a button. Assuming the faction can help protect through better indirect, it would need to go. Lastly, Advance Emplacement Regiment. Primarily, the repair ability. This ability should not repair structures and units in combat, in return the repair radius could increase.

The main idea is to either decrease the cost and thus improve the viability of Bofors even in 2v2s, or, dare I say, make it used in 1v1s to some extent, OR, to increase the cost a bit but reduce the timing and give more window for the Mortar pit, but then, ONLY for team modes, and rarely for 2v2s, since, yes, this is still a huge investment, without counting all the squads and reinforcement.
I honestly don't know about Indirect non-doctrinally. I would love to just see the Mortar pit appear like in CoH1, with an ability to upgrade for the 2nd mortar, but that idea was proposed a long time ago and worked terribly, so, oh well!
I have no troubles with indirect fire in my games, so I can't say anything regarding this topic.
17 Jul 2020, 07:01 AM

The AEC with its stun shot and the sniper with its vehicle crit were supposed to be Brits versions of snare.

Sappers were given snare to slightly level the playing field with other factions snares.

So I don't see why AEC needs to have such a powerful stun ability. If it was modified or changed to another ability, that would solve it being so incredibly good Vs medium and heavy armour.
17 Jul 2020, 16:48 PM

The AEC with its stun shot and the sniper with its vehicle crit were supposed to be Brits versions of snare.

Sappers were given snare to slightly level the playing field with other factions snares.

So I don't see why AEC needs to have such a powerful stun ability. If it was modified or changed to another ability, that would solve it being so incredibly good Vs medium and heavy armour.

I think simply putting the AEC's ability on Vet3 is enough, since it makes some micro and skill required to use it on Heavies, for example, in same 3v3-4v4s.
Dunno about Sniper, because he's not a must for the Brits to have against vehicles, but an AEC-is.
17 Jul 2020, 16:56 PM

If the AECs ability is vet 3 it better be guaranteed to pen and only be 1 shot and free. It's not without risk
17 Jul 2020, 17:58 PM

+1
17 Jul 2020, 18:34 PM

If the AECs ability is vet 3 it better be guaranteed to pen and only be 1 shot and free. It's not without risk

I can agree with that, but also a question:
It can bounce with this ability??? I thought it always pens thus always applies.
Wth does the one shot means, by the way?
17 Jul 2020, 18:45 PM

IMO, the main problem of Brits (and what make them OP) is that they get a lot of cool stuff from stock but other factions only get it by Doctrines or Commanders.

For example: smoke on tanks, trenches, emplacements, heavy tanks (churchill), base arty, commander on tanks, 5men upgrade squads (bolster), weapon raks (brens or piats in any infantry you like), etc.
17 Jul 2020, 19:20 PM

It can bounce with this ability??? I thought it always pens thus always applies.

It has 1000 penetration so no it can't bounce. It can however miss (0.06/0.045/0.035 accuracy). The first hit will deal a mobility penalty (-70% speed/rotation) and a second hit will immobilize for 7 seconds.
17 Jul 2020, 19:36 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Jul 2020, 18:45 PMLeo251
IMO, the main problem of Brits (and what make them OP) is that they get a lot of cool stuff from stock but other factions only get it by Doctrines or Commanders.

For example: smoke on tanks, trenches, emplacements, heavy tanks (churchill), base arty, commander on tanks, 5men upgrade squads (bolster), weapon raks (brens or piats in any infantry you like), etc.

>Smoke on tanks
As far as I remember, Brits have smoke only on their AEC, Cromwell, Churchill, and Comet, so we can compare this to the same USF which has smoke on their Shermans+Smoke on non-doctrinal mortar and Luit/Captain+Rear Echelons. We can remember the Soviets, which have the least amount of smoke, tho.
>Trenches
Meh, I think no one ever uses them anymore, and if they do, then for memes of some sort. They're a part of an outdated design as far as I am concerned.
>Emplacements
bruh lol 3v3s-4v4s only where you can see them have any use, and these are Brits only (TM) due to them being thematically only British.
>Heavy tanks
Well, Comet is like a Panther, but costs less and is behind an upgrade which gives many other things but restricts others, so I can call this a Stock Doctrine, as well as Anvil with the Churchill, so, it's kinda fair.
>Base arty
Well, that's due to a lack of non-doc indirect, but yeah, they're pretty powerful and I can agree on that.
>Commanders on tanks
No Top LMGs doe
>Bolster
I hardly ever use it, so I have no idea how to talk about it.
>Raks
Uuuuuh USF
17 Jul 2020, 19:37 PM

It has 1000 penetration so no it can't bounce. It can however miss (0.06/0.045/0.035 accuracy). The first hit will deal a mobility penalty (-70% speed/rotation) and a second hit will immobilize for 7 seconds.

I never knew any of that, besides the Engine and Stun that it does.
Thanks.
17 Jul 2020, 20:08 PM

>Smoke on tanks
As far as I remember, Brits have smoke only on their AEC, Cromwell, Churchill, and Comet,

See. This is almost like every Brit tank have smoke from stock, except maybe Centaur and UC.

>Trenches
Meh, I think no one ever uses them anymore, and if they do, then for memes of some sort. They're a part of an outdated design as far as I am concerned.

I also find trenches a bit "strange" of design, but anyway they have it. Ost for example have it only on their doctrines.

>Emplacements
bruh lol 3v3s-4v4s only where you can see them have any use, and these are Brits only (TM) due to them being thematically only British.

I have see them a lot in 1v1, specially bofors. Anyway, they have them from stock.

>Heavy tanks
Well, Comet is like a Panther, but costs less and is behind an upgrade which gives many other things but restricts others, so I can call this a Stock Doctrine, as well as Anvil with the Churchill, so, it's kinda fair.
>Base arty
Well, that's due to a lack of non-doc indirect, but yeah, they're pretty powerful and I can agree on that.
>Commanders on tanks
No Top LMGs doe

ok.

>Bolster
I hardly ever use it, so I have no idea how to talk about it.

Every single Brit player go 5men squad.

>Raks
Uuuuuh USF

I know USF have raks, but that was unique for USF... Why Brits also have it (maybe a nobrainer design attack???).
17 Jul 2020, 20:58 PM

I can agree with that, but also a question:

Sander covered it, it was my error I actually didn't know it couldn't bounce but I did know that sometimes it wouldn't work. Must have been the missing bit.
But yea as sander said it actually takes 2 shots for full effect and even then, while it IS an immobilize, it's only temporary. Considering it's in a side tech, vet locked 2 shot ability if day frankly, it's fine.
19 Jul 2020, 15:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post17 Jul 2020, 20:08 PMLeo251

See. This is almost like every Brit tank have smoke from stock, except maybe Centaur and UC.

Again, it's all tanks (and a vehicle), while infantry hardly has it. But I see your point.

I have see them a lot in 1v1, specially bofors. Anyway, they have them from stock.

Fascinating... I will need to meme Bofors in 1v1 for some time in the future.

Every single Brit player go 5men squad.

Not me. I am fine with 4 men actually. They do a decent job. Maybe I am just weird, no idea.
My build doesn't really allow me to fit Bolster in, and I always try to rush for Comet (I love this fucking tank), so I skip it for MP and precious Fuel.
My Build, if you wonder:
UC-Vickers HMG-T2-Double Sappers-AEC tech-Possibly 2nd Sections or an AEC-2nd Section (if previously AEC) and AEC (if previously Sections)-Possible Sniper or ATG-T3-Hammer-Rush for Comet or make a Cromwell if REALLY need tanks.
Works for me.

I know USF have raks, but that was unique for USF... Why Brits also have it (maybe a nobrainer design attack???).

I have no idea bro but we have to face the fact that Brits have them and deal with it. They are not going away any time soon. Or ever. Probably ever.
19 Jul 2020, 15:37 PM

Sander covered it, it was my error I actually didn't know it couldn't bounce but I did know that sometimes it wouldn't work. Must have been the missing bit.
But yea as sander said it actually takes 2 shots for full effect and even then, while it IS an immobilize, it's only temporary. Considering it's in a side tech, vet locked 2 shot ability if day frankly, it's fine.

Leave it as it is for Vet2 with lower cost and less time to fire or Vet3 with 0 muni cost.
I would love to see Vet2 version, you?
19 Jul 2020, 15:37 PM

Also, sorry for taking so long to reply, wasn't at the PC.
19 Jul 2020, 18:58 PM

Currently i see little reasons for AEC and boffor to lock out each other.

If someone go for AEC, i think allowing them to back tech for boffor after building company CP will be handy, offer an affordable AA/ cut off guard.
19 Jul 2020, 19:06 PM

If someone go for AEC, i think allowing them to back tech for boffor after building company CP will be handy, offer an affordable AA/ cut off guard.

I like this idea. Haven't seen a bofors in over a year so I'm up for anything that makes people actually use them
19 Jul 2020, 19:07 PM

Currently i see little reasons for AEC and boffor to lock out each other.

You actually came here what a lad.

The thing is:
Bofors is an immobile emplacement that is taking up Pop cap and takes a fair amount of resources, while being an easy target for Anything bigger than an LV and Arty pieces. Especially considering Company CP (I guess you mean T3 here), when tanks begin rolling on the battlefield, that, again, can easily take it down. Even Stugs. And once the enemy knows where your Bofors is, he will target it. If not tanks, then Arty.

So it's bad. And thus it needs to be in Early game, thus instead of the AEC, because WITH the AEC it's too much of a fuel dump and will make T3 go further away, putting the entire tank game of Brits in danger. And AEC is for Aggressive play, while Bofors is for defensive.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★