russian armor

Mod Release, Design and Live Fixes and Issues

13 Jun 2020, 18:31 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

A Playlist of all mod related videos

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLjJGA4Pd6icrUKLHruIabK-sQRL_jH5cW

Mod here:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2129311414

Greeting everyone. There is a lot issues I have always had with the live game. Though the game is more balanced then what it was before, I have always had issues with the design choices and balancing.

General

Soviets

Osteer

USF

OKW

UKF

13 Jun 2020, 19:07 PM

The general design changes are pretty interesting and seem to make sense. The Ostheer changes (that's how far I got so far) I don't really like, they mostly seem very OP to me.
13 Jun 2020, 19:40 PM

OST retech sounds very interesting.

I really like to suggest a big change, with many self fixing tweaks. Sometimes little patches miss to address core issues

I dont like that much the normalization of factions but in the name of fairness may it be
13 Jun 2020, 19:52 PM

Taking away ass grens is not imo good idea. I prefer them over veteran squad leader.
13 Jun 2020, 19:56 PM

Damn that's a lot of work, gg.
13 Jun 2020, 20:03 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

OST retech sounds very interesting.

I really like to suggest a big change, with many self fixing tweaks. Sometimes little patches miss to address core issues

I dont like that much the normalization of factions but in the name of fairness may it be

In my opinion, there is some items that should not be exclusive. For example, forward retreat points allow for larger maps which changes many dynamics. Imaging Rails and Metals in a 1v1? Large maps allow more room to maneuver and find holes. MG nests are a low pop cap efficient tool help close holes but can be easily dealt with.

13 Jun 2020, 20:06 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Taking away ass grens is not imo good idea. I prefer them over veteran squad leader.

Assault grens only really had power because pioneers were unnecessarily held back. With pioneers buffed, 5 man pios can fill in the gaps while having better late game transitioning. Just no frontal assaults. Leave that to the T0 Grens.
13 Jun 2020, 20:06 PM

• Volks
    By name, should be a reserve unit. This unit has had many changes through out them game. I do not like the STG upgrade. It does not fit with there role.

• Panzerfussilers
    One of the worst designed units in live right now. Lets have two t0 CP0 squads that are 5 man bolt action rifles with snares, grenades, and weapon upgrades
    This unit has been redesigned into a AT unit. 4 man squad with two panzershrecks and plant teller mines. Does not drop panzershrecks

You realize you criticized these units for being too similar, but then changed them to both be anti-tank squads?

Anyway Volksgrenadiers should have StG's, historically that is what they were (supposed to be, supplies permitting) armed with. Kinda bummed that Conscripts still didn't get a weapon upgrade. The Soviet Army is very short of SMG's and that feels anomalous to me.
13 Jun 2020, 20:12 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

The general design changes are pretty interesting and seem to make sense. The Ostheer changes (that's how far I got so far) I don't really like, they mostly seem very OP to me.

With pioneers no longer default unless you have a bulletin, MG spam is delayed as well as maxium. 222's come later so the M3/Universal/carrier/'initial vehicles' have more room to operate seeing the 221 is more of a soft counter rather than a hard counter. Tellers can not one shot light vehicles so Allied players can be more aggressive with their lights. Ostheer has more offensive items available but so does it's opposition. Pgrens will lose at long ranges vs riflemen with dual bars but win at close range sort of like conscripts vs grens.
13 Jun 2020, 20:21 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

You realize you criticized these units for being too similar, but then changed them to both be anti-tank squads?

Anyway Volksgrenadiers should have StG's, historically that is what they were (supposed to be, supplies permitting) armed with. Kinda bummed that Conscripts still didn't get a weapon upgrade. The Soviet Army is very short of SMG's and that feels anomalous to me.

Volks only have a panzerfaust. They are not an AT unit.

The mod try's to move away from damage and focused on other aspects. Sturmpioneers still have their STGs, give the three non-doctrinal units clear roles.
Volks: Defensive and durable.
Obers: Long range damage and general elite.
Sturms: Flanking and close range damage.

People generally disagree with my previous mods to give combat engines PPSHs. We could set a poll on another thread to ask people.
14 Jun 2020, 10:41 AM

idk if the dmg isnt too high on TDs and Heavies
autofire on arty is kinda OP
100 range maybe too much
i like sniper removal
m42 is buffed a bit too much, it is already very strong atgun
idk bout balance changes cuz it would have to tested
suppression on AA units maybe a bit too OP especially on Ostwind
14 Jun 2020, 12:14 PM

I like this mod,and I hope some change will add to next balance patch
14 Jun 2020, 12:36 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

idk if the dmg isnt too high on TDs and Heavies
autofire on arty is kinda OP
100 range maybe too much
i like sniper removal
m42 is buffed a bit too much, it is already very strong atgun
idk bout balance changes cuz it would have to tested
suppression on AA units maybe a bit too OP especially on Ostwind

The interactions between mediums and heavies/TD is largely the same as it is in live. In general, it will take one more pen but the armors have been reduced so the engagements are more consistent. 4 shots to kill mediums/TDs even with the heighten damage/health. Tank destroyer's heighten damage will be more lethal to the heavies. There maybe a drop in usage of heavies. But the heavies gun is as consistent with mediums, just more lethal. It is really hard to tell.

Arties
It is kinda experimental. It would provide excellent pressure vs buildings and have a chance support anti vehicle play. Something I forgot to mention, They do not automatically pack up and re-target, such as mortars. They only engage visible enemies in their 'cone', like AT guns.

Heavy AT guns extra range is to support the fact they no longer shoot through builds, cheese-ily. While it is far, their damage is still 320 so it will take 3 shots to kill a medium, so they are not as lethal.

The M42 buff is sort of necessary with higher vehicle health. It takes 8 pens to kill a medium in live. In the mod it takes 7, 8 for the OKW p4

Stationary suppression for the Centuar and Ostwind helps support it against blobs and AT infantry. This help supports its dedicated role vs medium tanks.
14 Jun 2020, 13:21 PM

i can sign most of the general improvements. some things are just awful:
-medic healing bug (maybe all factions get aura healing like USF medic)
-units clumping up upon USF retreat base (increase radius of spreading out near base)
-tellers oneshotting light vehicles
-more consistent tank battles as OP pointed out is very great (who doesnt hate the rng bouncing shell at 5% hp tanks?)
-pak43 shooting through buildings.. like what the hell even

and most importantly: MORE MAPS are needed!
14 Jun 2020, 13:26 PM

Like some of your ideas, dislike others. Personally I feel with how small scope patches has been lately it might not be a good idea to make another grand tech tree redesign such as the one that got made for USF, since problems that arise might not get addressed fast enough, small changes is the way to go.
14 Jun 2020, 13:36 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jun 2020, 13:26 PMElpern
Like some of your ideas, dislike others. Personally I feel with how small scope patches has been lately it might not be a good idea to make another grand tech tree redesign such as the one that got made for USF, since problems that arise might not get addressed fast enough, small changes is the way to go.

yeah tho no more free units for teching for usf heheh
MMX
14 Jun 2020, 13:56 PM

Kind of a mixed bag for me, although I really like some design ideas such as the stationary suppression for all AA units.

Generally, I'm not a fan of the model number restriction to AoE damage since these are kind of counter-intuitive IMHO. I get that this is aimed at adding consistency instead of frustrating one-hit nukes, but I'd rather see other solutions to make explosives less wipey.
14 Jun 2020, 14:27 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Jun 2020, 13:56 PMMMX
Kind of a mixed bag for me, although I really like some design ideas such as the stationary suppression for all AA units.

Generally, I'm not a fan of the model number restriction to AoE damage since these are kind of counter-intuitive IMHO. I get that this is aimed at adding consistency instead of frustrating one-hit nukes, but I'd rather see other solutions to make explosives less wipey.

It's usually bad squad formation, around corners ie, that causes squad wipes. While in open fields a tank could take multiple shots and not even get at model. I have been thinking of way to kill one model per shot while only damaging others. Upon impact, an area action to apply damage. But with the buffed tank mgs, this might be too powerful.

14 Jun 2020, 14:32 PM

It's usually bad squad formation, around corners ie, that causes squad wipes. While in open fields a tank could take multiple shots and not even get at model. I have been thinking of way to kill one model per shot while only damaging others. Upon impact, an area action to apply damage. But with the buffed tank mgs, this might be too powerful.

One could try lowering the damage to 40-60 vs infatry shot that I shot does not wipe and add a number of critical kills.
14 Jun 2020, 14:40 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

i can sign most of the general improvements. some things are just awful:
-medic healing bug (maybe all factions get aura healing like USF medic)
-units clumping up upon USF retreat base (increase radius of spreading out near base)
-tellers oneshotting light vehicles
-more consistent tank battles as OP pointed out is very great (who doesnt hate the rng bouncing shell at 5% hp tanks?)
-pak43 shooting through buildings.. like what the hell even

and most importantly: MORE MAPS are needed!

Medics models help regulate the total rate of healing so this can be a great anti blobing tool. Can only heal one model at a time means healing a blob takes so much time. This is probably another reason why blobbing occurs much more with USF and UKF, than others.

Retreating moves to a 'entity.' While more entities can be added, map design would probably funnel them into the same point. Pushing sightly way from the 'entry point' is probability needed. I can look into it, but map design is the main factor.

Teller one shotting vehicles is a byproduct of no non doctrinal hard counter mobile units to light vehicles, puma.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 30
Peru 13
unknown 7
United States 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %