Login

russian armor

Please explain this....

11 Jun 2020, 10:17 AM

No sound, its not your speakers.
11 Jun 2020, 10:24 AM

What's wrong with that? Unit is under fire on a mine, mine blows up, kills units, and retreats?
11 Jun 2020, 10:40 AM

The dangers of working under fire
11 Jun 2020, 11:03 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

What was the cause of the mine explosion though?
11 Jun 2020, 11:07 AM

I am to believe that any unit under fire on a mine will trigger the mine if it hasn't been triggered by the type of unit itself.
11 Jun 2020, 11:17 AM

What's wrong with that? Unit is under fire on a mine, mine blows up, kills units, and retreats?

I am to believe that any unit under fire on a mine will trigger the mine if it hasn't been triggered by the type of unit itself.

Well for a start its invisible without sweepers and secondly, what? That does english make not sense not does.
11 Jun 2020, 11:18 AM

What was the cause of the mine explosion though?

It possible that attacking infatry manually aimed (probably by accident) at the mine being built instead of the C.E
11 Jun 2020, 11:20 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Jun 2020, 11:18 AMVipper

It possible that attacking infatry manually aimed (probably by accident) at the mine being built instead of the C.E

Thats what I thought but if you watch the video no shots land near the mine itself.
11 Jun 2020, 11:28 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Jun 2020, 11:20 AMLatch

Thats what I thought but if you watch the video no shots land near the mine itself.

I was taking about small arm fire, you can not see those shots.
11 Jun 2020, 11:41 AM

The mine has 20 health and 35 armor so its untouchable by small arms ( goes for every mine as far as im concerned). Not a clue how the mine went off.

Edit: I might be looking at the wrong mine but its hard to miss.

11 Jun 2020, 11:43 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Jun 2020, 11:18 AMVipper

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Jun 2020, 11:20 AMLatch

As Vipper said, the tracers you see are just visual effects as far as I know.

The mine though can't be targeted, since it should be invisible to the enemy. I am wondering though if it has something to do with the focus fire mechanic? In the end we don't know how it works, but judging from the texts in the attribute editor this is the only time when scatter for small arms comes into play to check for hits. I don't know by heart if the StG has this mechanic, but it is possible that the mine got hit by this and Latch just got a very unlucky roll of 1. This focus fire scatter hit 2. The shot penning the mine and 3. All this occuring directly after the mine was finished.
11 Jun 2020, 11:47 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

I don't think so. Many mines get finished under fire, as we could also see in the last tournament, and I can't remember that they would blow up regularly. Actually I can't remember them blowing up due to this at all.

It's either a weird bug (it's CoH2 after all) or a very very unfortunate chain of RNG for Latch.
11 Jun 2020, 11:50 AM

When mine under building it could get some damage (like any other structures) and in the end - boom! But, in the end, i never saw such situations before. I know only, if there is fire on the land (as example from soviet flame off-map strike), than OST mineield start blowing up under german soldiers.
11 Jun 2020, 11:50 AM

I don't think so. Many mines get finished under fire, as we could also see in the last tournament, and I can't remember that they would blow up regularly. Actually I can't remember them blowing up due to this at all.

It's either a weird bug (it's CoH2 after all) or a very very unfortunate chain of RNG for Latch.

Weirdly enough I was always under the impression that it was the case that units under fire have a chance to get blown up by mines they shouldn't trigger if under fire. I have seen full health M20s blowing up after putting down their mine (and triggering their own mine) just after I hit them with a single Shrek. I have also experienced my own P4 being blown up by my halftruk mine whilst it was retreating and being hit whilst rolling over my own mine. I guess there is a hidden mechanic somewhere down the rules.
11 Jun 2020, 11:51 AM

Weirdly enough I was always under the impression that it was the case that units under fire have a chance to get blown up by mines they shouldn't trigger if under fire. I have seen full health M20s blowing up after putting down their mine just after I hit them with a single Shrek. I guess there is a hidden mechanic somewhere down the rules.

Small arms != explosives
11 Jun 2020, 11:53 AM

True, but penetrations values can still allow mines to get triggered by weapons even if they're not explosive. There was a mod that made everything pen 1000, even small arms, which demonstrated that - it made the game very C&C like.

I guess, it was, as you underline, a string of unluck.
11 Jun 2020, 11:58 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

Weirdly enough I was always under the impression that it was the case that units under fire have a chance to get blown up by mines they shouldn't trigger if under fire. I have seen full health M20s blowing up after putting down their mine (and triggering their own mine) just after I hit them with a single Shrek. I have also experienced my own P4 being blown up by my halftruk mine whilst it was retreating and being hit whilst rolling over my own mine. I guess there is a hidden mechanic somewhere down the rules.

Might be.

But Panzerschreck and similars have enough penetration to pen the mine (I don't know about the armor value of the mine though, Vipper is usually quite good at these hidden and rarely used stats) and possibly also some AoE effect and penetration.
When something like this happened, I usually though that the AoE effect triggered the mine. Same thing if I drive over my own mines and they blow up. From the times that this happened, there was always something else happening. A long range tank/ATG shot or mortar fire.
If there really was a 0.01% chance of triggering your own mine, I think we would (weirdly enough) see this more often and also hear more complaints.
People drive over their mines all the time, and with so much RNG patched out of the game already, I think this would be way more prominent.
11 Jun 2020, 11:59 AM

Otherwise, I could imagine, as the mine is a newly created game object sent over network that some basic stats are applied for a few frames before correctly applying the correct stats, and the player just happen to be unlucky enough to have hit that sweet spot. Actually, a lot of games engines do that (create object, use standard object values, then load data from the rules)

Sometimes the game engine has their own bugs..

Source: I'm an experienced games engines programmer.
11 Jun 2020, 12:03 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

My guess the mine was cancelled right when it was finished. An unfinished mine does not detonate but if it were canceled at the right frame this might happen. This is speculation. Did you try pressing the stop command on something when this happened?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★