Login

russian armor

M3A1, can we talk about IT ?

27 May 2020, 10:30 AM

Does someone play it ?

I tried to play it but I think it's not really worth

For me because:
- both germans have directly panzerfaust to counter it (for instance me, as soviet player, the Oberkomando's jeep is only annoying until I get anti-tank grenades, after I can easily kill lit)
- Maybe to expensive in fuel, it cost 15 fuel, and so if you make a M3A1 you will have tank a bit later
- very very weak

Honestly I used it only once or twice to try to kill a sniper. But otherwise i don't see the power of this unit and I am sad when i am doing my T1 to see I have something not usefull.

So maybe i just use it very bad a someone knows how to play it correctly ?
27 May 2020, 10:35 AM

OKW do not have faust at start only AT grenades on Panzer F.

CE with flamer in M3A1 can cause mayhem in enemy lines, clear HMG in garrison and get wipes on retreats.

The unit can also counter the kubel.
27 May 2020, 10:37 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 May 2020, 10:35 AMVipper
OKW do not have faust at start only AT grenades on Panzer F.

CE with flamer in M3A1 can cause mayhem in enemy lines, clear HMG in garrison and get wipes on retreats.

The unit can also counter the kubel.

M3A1 + flamer is only usefull during retreated otherwise, panzerfaust and ciao
27 May 2020, 10:45 AM

The unit is generally best avoided, and the 15 fuel are to be invested elsewhere. It is just a resource trap. It has some use in 1on1/2on2 if you opponent goes heavy or double sniper play, but nobody does that anymore.
27 May 2020, 10:53 AM

It is only useful for the first 2-5 minutes. As soon as he appears, the player will immediately take countermeasures which, in the next skirmish, will most likely destroy M3A1. Another point. Even if M3A1 is not destroyed during 5 minutes after the start of the game, then it is useless. You do not even approach the enemy because an anti-tank gun / faust / mine will stick out from every corner. I somehow got the 3rd level of veteran M3A1. And it was just a useless 3rd level vet unit. In a late game (if you still save the M3A1), it does not have any useful ability or a vet bonus Its has no mime, no intelligence, no medicine. This is just a 5 minute unit.
27 May 2020, 11:01 AM

M3A1 + flamer is only usefull during retreated otherwise, panzerfaust and ciao

OKW do not have faust early so it useful vs OKW.

It also useful vs Ostheer HMG that are not support by grenadier. It can also be used against single grenadier since even if they manage to faust you simply can disembark drive them away with flamer and repair.
27 May 2020, 13:23 PM

I'm not a high level Soviet player but I still find it useful as a shock unit. The time window is very short but if you get it just when you get 60 muni and put a flamer on your engineers (the classic meme strat) and you have good micro, it can really wreck for the next minute... maybe two.

Don't know if this works at all in top 100 games tho, I rarely saw it there as axis
27 May 2020, 13:24 PM

P.S. shouldn't this be in the strategy forum? Let's make that alive again :D
27 May 2020, 13:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 May 2020, 13:24 PMEuan

Strategy forum would imply there is something wrong with player using it, not the unit and we all know every single CoH2 player is a seasoned high end tournament player who never makes a single mistake, so natural conclusion, obviously, is a balance problem, always.
MMX
27 May 2020, 14:00 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 May 2020, 13:28 PMKatitof

Strategy forum would imply there is something wrong with player using it, not the unit and we all know every single CoH2 player is a seasoned high end tournament player who never makes a single mistake, so natural conclusion, obviously, is a balance problem, always.

spot-on and accurate!

but to the op's question: if you want to see how to use the m3 creatively and (sometimes not so) effectively i recommed watching vonivan's stream
27 May 2020, 15:04 PM

It is a somewhat ok counter for sniper play, but I agree with the sentiment that it's only a 5 minute unit, and the fuel would be best spent elsewhere.

Many other units have been given upgrades to make them more useful if they survive to the late game. This one hasn't. It would be interesting to see something like a medic or ambulance upgrade for it that gets unlocked at T4.
27 May 2020, 15:12 PM

Too much risk, too little reward. Maybe if you manage to steal an mg thanks to it, it pays for itself. I would develop it to become a spotter unit. Maybe sort of t-70 treatment with extra sight mode that disables weapons and later allows capping.
27 May 2020, 15:27 PM

Too much risk, too little reward. Maybe if you manage to steal an mg thanks to it, it pays for itself. I would develop it to become a spotter unit. Maybe sort of t-70 treatment with extra sight mode that disables weapons and later allows capping.

The scout car with veterancy already gets vision almost equal to a vetted T70 in recon mode.
27 May 2020, 16:44 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post27 May 2020, 13:24 PMEuan

I think both were acceptable here, good call though. :)

/moved

@OP, It's a shock unit with a limited window. Good vs OKW, less good vs OST. I honestly avoid T1 all together vs OST and it isn't phenominal against OKW either currently but it is better. You can even throw a penal inside of it before the flamer and they'll (probably) be protected from small arms while they can engage units at close range and do a lot of damage.
27 May 2020, 17:37 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 May 2020, 15:27 PMsuora

The scout car with veterancy already gets vision almost equal to a vetted T70 in recon mode.

Hmm. Didn't know. Thx :)
27 May 2020, 17:43 PM

Maybe the answer is that those trucks should absorb damage first instead of infantry, and when they die, troops inside should leave them healthy. It would add many possibilities related to sacrificing such trucks but leaving troops inside in a better tactical position on the map and fully healthy. Seems like a nice trade off. Would add a lot variety, especially if those guys inside were even less effective with some more nerds to their accuracy when inside.
1 Jun 2020, 16:42 PM

Maybe the answer is that those trucks should absorb damage first instead of infantry, and when they die, troops inside should leave them healthy. It would add many possibilities related to sacrificing such trucks but leaving troops inside in a better tactical position on the map and fully healthy. Seems like a nice trade off. Would add a lot variety, especially if those guys inside were even less effective with some more nerds to their accuracy when inside.

Technically you can do that with a good enough reaction. If you select the unit inside and right-click move them out before the clown car dies, you can save the squad.
1 Jun 2020, 17:01 PM

Technically you can do that with a good enough reaction. If you select the unit inside and right-click move them out before the clown car dies, you can save the squad.

Yep. True. But they do get damaged when inside together with the halftrack. The halfrack should absorb the damage and after it dies the squad/s inside should be full health imo. I think it used to be like that. But it got reverted instead of nerfing accuracy or even dps from the units inside. Now, since the accuracy got nerfed for units inside the damage could be reverted (maybe together with even more penalties on dps of the units shooting from inside).
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Peru 24
unknown 7
unknown 7

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak