Login

russian armor

Glider call in

11 May 2020, 23:55 PM

Im fairly certain this isnt intended hence the bug section.

Commando gliders can still crash land resulting in a wasted 390mp call in and to add insult to injury, you have to wait for the cool down. Any chance of this being fixed?
12 May 2020, 04:11 AM

The glider is huge too. I wish it wasn't that big. Just makes it a huge indirect magnet.
12 May 2020, 04:14 AM

I can take or leave losing a glider to fighting, but not to being wiped out on landing. Realistic but come on!
MMX
12 May 2020, 04:25 AM

do you mean 'randomly crash landing' or crashing bc its plowing through a couple of trees / houses / other obstacles? i mean if it's the latter you'd deserve risking to lose it for not picking a better landing site... a bit like it's common sense not to drop falls or paras too close to a bunch of trees.
though i have to admit i haven't tried the glider for quite a while and have no idea how clunky it actually is to aim.
12 May 2020, 04:45 AM

The game as you are probably aware give you a "safe" guide and can only be called in when its green. Ive tried to land on Arnhem checkpoint in the vine fields onyl to die almost immediatley yet other times, its fine. I recently lost one on farmonville approach by calling one in via the mini map, here is the result:

I dont think it was a bad landing spot but looks like something glitched out with the movement, it stopped suddenly and then, dead.
12 May 2020, 07:34 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

The glider sometimes feels a bit too instabile for my taste (the vine fields seem to be such a case), but I don't know what is realistic in that regard.
In the video it seemed to hit the house and then glitched, but the fact that it got destroyed because it hit the house looks fine.
You can't call in Commandos at every point of the map, just like you can't call in Stormtroopers everywhere. That is fine, don't call it in over many obstacles and you're good to go. Some weird stuff like the vine fields are caused by CoH2's general glitchyness.
12 May 2020, 07:35 AM

There isn't a green landing sign? No because that would be the same in fact.

You can have a whole squad of paratroopers dying in the trees or whatever while you had a full green landing sign.
12 May 2020, 07:39 AM

Paratroopers (and Falls?) can die when they land on top of objects as well. It's the risk associated with the reward of being able to insert a squad anywhere on the map. Pick the drop zone well or risk losing (some members of) the squad because of an unsuccessful landing. I.e. don't drop the glider into a building.
12 May 2020, 07:45 AM

Paratroopers (and Falls?) can die when they land on top of objects as well. It's the risk associated with the reward of being able to insert a squad anywhere on the map. Pick the drop zone well or risk losing (some members of) the squad because of an unsuccessful landing.

Lol bullshit, sorry to be so straightforward. If the game shows me a full green sign and at the same time the whole squad dies when landing, there is little I can do better to land them safely. Not every map are like Steppes.
I had a completed squad dying when landing in my own base area with a full green sign, this has nothing to do with risk vs reward.
12 May 2020, 08:02 AM

If you drop Falls or Paras in an area your units have sight on the drop circle is so small that it should be nearly impossible to lose an entire squad to objects.

There are some odd things like certain objects causing disproportionate amounts of damage to the glider (like the vineyards) or Paratroopers occasionally landing in a bad pattern at the very edge of the drop circle, but those are rarities and nothing can really be done about them. Generally speaking though in 95-99% of times airborne squads can be called in reliably when picking a safe drop zone and/or scouting the drop zone with other units.
12 May 2020, 08:21 AM

You mean I had to scout my own base area? There aren't odd things, just long trees that fuck-up the any landing around them and it happens that those trees are also around base area on some maps.

This is not an odd thing or a risk vs reward or anything to do with the fog of war. I had a full squad dying in front of my eyes on a fully scouted zone inside my base area but with those stupid trees nearby.
12 May 2020, 13:18 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post12 May 2020, 08:21 AMEsxile
You mean I had to scout my own base area? There aren't odd things, just long trees that fuck-up the any landing around them and it happens that those trees are also around base area on some maps.

This is not an odd thing or a risk vs reward or anything to do with the fog of war. I had a full squad dying in front of my eyes on a fully scouted zone inside my base area but with those stupid trees nearby.

That is very sad for you.
I once had a squad dropped with quite some objects around and no one died
12 May 2020, 17:32 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 May 2020, 04:45 AMLatch
The game as you are probably aware give you a "safe" guide and can only be called in when its green. Ive tried to land on Arnhem checkpoint in the vine fields onyl to die almost immediatley yet other times, its fine. I recently lost one on farmonville approach by calling one in via the mini map, here is the result:

I dont think it was a bad landing spot but looks like something glitched out with the movement, it stopped suddenly and then, dead.

The "something" was probably the massive house it crashed into.
12 May 2020, 18:12 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 May 2020, 04:45 AMLatch
I recently lost one on farmonville approach by calling one in via the mini map

There's the problem.
12 May 2020, 20:26 PM

There's the problem.

The "something" was probably the massive house it crashed into.

Pick the drop zone well or risk losing (some members of) the squad because of an unsuccessful landing. I.e. don't drop the glider into a building.

It's a glitch, it has nothing to do with the "bad landing spot", "hitting a house" or "calling in via the mini map".

Try it yourself, call in gliders in the worst spots you can think of and see how often it dies on landing.

I had a quick go and manage to recreate the same glitch in the same spot:
(audio messed up but its not important)

Notice how most of the crashes are far worse in terms of damage to the glider, to the extent of snapping in two yet it still lives? I now suspect it has something to do with the water wheel on the house and if it somehow survives the impact but the glider remains in contact with it, it destroys the glider due to the animation of the wheel needing to continue this is simply due to being one of the most obvious reocurring objects where the plane just dies, that or the lake.

Watch the first clip, the gliders tail wing things miss the wheel and the glider lives, same with the third but the second clip the glitch is recreated and the rear wing thing is attatched to the top of the wheel.

If it wasnt a bug/glitch I would expereince it far more in play and even more so in testing in other spots, but I can only recreate it in that one spot, I couldnt even get the vine crash to reproduce which was annoying.

The only way to get a true result is to find that house on another map, does anyone know of any maps that the same house is also featured in?
12 May 2020, 21:40 PM

be it house or anything else, don't do it if something red is on the landing zone, that's it
13 May 2020, 00:20 AM

be it house or anything else, don't do it if something red is on the landing zone, that's it

Thanks for the input
13 May 2020, 13:50 PM

my point is that it's likely not a bug , if something red is an indication that it might crash, not a sure thing, i don't think it's the well of water btw, i think the main hitbox of the plane is slightly shifted to the right or a part of the right wing is counted as the main, so when u hit the house it goes over the damage threshold and crashes or count multiple instances of damage x frame

i don't think u can even fix it, and should stay as it is, it's realistic and balanced(risk-reward)
13 May 2020, 13:58 PM

To what it looks to me now after i saw the video is that you will never be succesfully destroying the plane on purpose upon landing lol. Kinda good to know ...

Then, the way it glitches is indeed kinda weird.
13 May 2020, 15:19 PM

my point is that it's likely not a bug , if something red is an indication that it might crash, not a sure thing, i don't think it's the well of water btw, i think the main hitbox of the plane is slightly shifted to the right or a part of the right wing is counted as the main, so when u hit the house it goes over the damage threshold and crashes or count multiple instances of damage x frame

i don't think u can even fix it, and should stay as it is, it's realistic and balanced(risk-reward)

It should stay as it is because its realistic, but ignore every other crash I demonstrated where I crashed even worse, to the point of the glider being a shell of its former self and all 5 members walking out perfectly fine.

It can be fixed if its found out as to what is causing that issue at that specific point of the map, something is causing the glider to lose momentum and as a result, killing it in the process.

It's not a major issue due to how rare the situation is, but to simply disregard it as a feature is just insane, in this regards, dont use fausts incase they bug, well, its realistic so its the risk you take.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★