Login

russian armor

USF Combined Arms Ability ?

10 May 2020, 03:02 AM

So I have often over looked the more complex abilities and aura type stuff, Just because I guess its kinda a hassle to me you have to be near vehicles etc and within aura range, and then never really quite sure exactly what they do for sure. But I was finally taking the time to go over the abilities guide to help me understand these things.

My question is what is the general consensus about this ability is it good? And is it worth the cost and can it be a game changing ability.

Looking at the acual stats of what it actually enables to me on paper at least it looks quite powerful, Have I been missing out on some of the games best abilities in Favor of the more straight forward simple abilities that are easier to understand?(you click here and things start to xplode! :D)

Anyway just curious actually looking at the stats on some of this stuff makes you realize there is so much more potential setups and depth in this game that is if you have the skill and the smarts to use it properly and at the right times.

What are you thought community?
10 May 2020, 03:16 AM

I think it's a solid ability. It's not like valiant assault/for mother Russia levels of good, but it can definitely be really strong

Very helpful for your tanks, especially if they are lower veterancy. The only negative thing about the ability is that it temporarily cancels out veterancy bonuses on your units that are being buffed by the ability

So some vet 3 units perform slightly worse (Pershing is one that i know of) when the ability is active, but most of the time it's very useful

The reload+range bonus can really be ferocious on Jacksons
10 May 2020, 03:24 AM

+30% reload on tanks pretty stronk. Whatever infantry bonuses it gets are pretty good too but the fact that it gets both is amazing. Good lategame muni sink for heavy cav that I kind of just forget to use admittedly.
MMX
10 May 2020, 05:57 AM

it used to be awful back when the modifiers didn't stack with other buffs. for example, you actually decreased the ROF of a vet3 Pershing when using CA since it would override the vet3 reload bonus with its own inferior buff.
however, this odd behavior was ninja fixed some patches ago and now it stacks properly (afaik at least). i remember someone discovered there might still be some bugs with the ability, like having a larger aura radius than intended under specific circumstances, but it is indeed very solid for how cheap it is.
10 May 2020, 06:25 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 May 2020, 05:57 AMMMX
it used to be awful back when the modifiers didn't stack with other buffs. for example, you actually decreased the ROF of a vet3 Pershing when using CA since it would override the vet3 reload bonus with its own inferior buff.
however, this odd behavior was ninja fixed some patches ago and now it stacks properly (afaik at least). i remember someone discovered there might still be some bugs with the ability, like having a larger aura radius than intended under specific circumstances, but it is indeed very solid for how cheap it is.

It was actually still good back then, as long as your units weren't vet 3. And even then it still was usually helpful

I need to use it a lot more now if they fixed the overwrite bug, I wasn't aware they had fixed that. I really didn't even think it was a bug i thought it was intended cause it would be OP with certain vet bonuses
10 May 2020, 07:05 AM

One of the best abilities in the game. Criminally underrated as someone once called it. Mostly underused because a lot of people think/thought it's bugged (ability bonuses not stacking with veterancy bonuses) but that got ninja fixed a long time ago. It's absolutely fantastic for pushes or fending off enemy pushes and it synergizes especially well with Jacksons because it helps them chase enemy vehicles with the extended sight, range and increased ROF. Team weapons count as infantry too so it's pretty easy to activate.

I'd personally rate it the second most powerful ability in the game, only just behind a Command Vehicle and a pair of Fireflies or Comets for the UKF. That is from a teamgames perspective though where it's a lot easier to keep your forces close together and to make concentrated pushes.
10 May 2020, 07:09 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

ninja fixing

It wasnt even ninja fixed. It was documented in the patch notes under bug fixes but people just passed over it for some reason.
10 May 2020, 07:11 AM

Huh, apparently so. Although the patch notes aren't overly specific.

June 23 Hotfix
Bug Fix
[…]
Fixed a bug where the modifiers from the combined arms ability was overwriting other modifiers
[…]

https://community.companyofheroes.com/discussion/67/coh-2-changelog/p5
10 May 2020, 07:21 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

One of the best abilities in the game. Criminally underrated as someone once called it. Mostly underused because a lot of people think/thought it's bugged (ability bonuses not stacking with veterancy bonuses) but that got ninja fixed a long time ago. It's absolutely fantastic for pushes or fending off enemy pushes and it synergizes especially well with Jacksons because it helps them chase enemy vehicles with the extended sight, range and increased ROF. Team weapons count as infantry too so it's pretty easy to activate.

I'd personally rate it the second most powerful ability in the game, only just behind a Command Vehicle and a pair of Fireflies or Comets for the UKF. That is from a teamgames perspective though where it's a lot easier to keep your forces close together and to make concentrated pushes.

Main issue here is that man people (me included) check the attribute editor and there it was still set to overwriting other abilities. At least last time I checked, but that's quite a while ago.

I think this causes quite some confusion.
10 May 2020, 13:18 PM

I recognise myself in this. I remember when I played entire games without picking a commander because I was more comfortable with the main units and there is always stock counters in all armies, more or less. Recently I started playing Brits more intensely because I wanted to know them better than just the units they have. All kinds of realizations pop like being able to build multiple comets.
It’s a big game for sure, lots to know of, but that’s the way we like it, that’s what makes long last.
10 May 2020, 15:12 PM

It wasnt even ninja fixed. It was documented in the patch notes under bug fixes but people just passed over it for some reason.

Huh, apparently so. Although the patch notes aren't overly specific.

I think it got "passed over" because the patch it was fixed in caused the bug that made the ability stack every time the crew got in and out. This was a week after the note Sander just posted:
June 29th Hotfix
Bug Fixes
Combined Arms will no longer stack when de-crewing and re-crewing vehicles

Since that patch gave us Pershings firing automatically I think people might of overlooked it lol
11 May 2020, 10:13 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

Since that patch gave us Pershings firing automatically I think people might of overlooked it lol

By automatically, are you referring to fire/reload rate? Because if you are, just remember that you had to de crew and re crew constantly to trigger the bug, so it was impossible to do on the pershing.

On the topic of fun bugs, my favorite was when veterancy was broken.
11 May 2020, 10:32 AM

By automatically, are you referring to fire/reload rate? Because if you are, just remember that you had to de crew and re crew constantly to trigger the bug, so it was impossible to do on the pershing.

On the topic of fun bugs, my favorite was when veterancy was broken.

Hmm yeah that does make sense. Coulda sworn in an example video someone made it had a pershing though. I thought that was the only example of the bug I could remember

The veterancy bug revelation was a wild day for the community lol
12 May 2020, 07:01 AM

I think its great ability, but it requires some thought beforehand and it is rather costly when compared to other same type abilities.
12 May 2020, 12:10 PM
Patrion 14

It's an amazing ability. As the name implies you have to use combined arms to make it really shine, a vet 3 jackson in late game + the 30% reload speed is insane especially when your entire army is supporting it.

Though it is tough to time it in the heat of a late game 1s or 2s match but when you practice enough you know when to hit that button and it guarantees you pushing off the opponent if the enemy is not using an ability as well.

12 May 2020, 15:29 PM

I can only talk about myself, i simply forget to use the ability since it is only good in the late game and i never pick heavy cav for the ability itself, even tho its great.

Specially in the late game i have to micro alot of stuff and have to think about how to set up a push so the ability gets pushed back in my brain.
Like alot of those late game abilities that arent skill planes :/
12 May 2020, 15:31 PM

id say bug fixed are kinda ninja changes, nobody reads those anyways :ph34r:
12 May 2020, 17:09 PM

Cuz no one gives a shit about combined arms for some reason.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★