Login

russian armor

Could CoH 2 do with a cleanup patch?

12 Apr 2020, 14:38 PM

https://community.companyofheroes.com/discussion/67/coh-2-changelog

CoH 2 has a big changelog.

It's had seven years of patches with a focus on immediate solutions: an exception to the rules here, a contexual buff there. Each individual patch seems fine, but the game is starting to feel the strain of seven years of band-aids layered on top of each other.

Could it do with a cleanup patch? Go through the changelog, assess the changes, toss out what you don't need any more? Standardise stats where you can, remove exceptions to the rules you don't need.

If this is something the Balance Team is willing to consider, I'm happy to do the work to produce a spreadsheet from the changelog that breaks down changes by unit.
12 Apr 2020, 15:55 PM

I agree. There simply a large amount "low priority" issues that needs fixing and wil benefit the game allot more than a(nother) meta shift.
12 Apr 2020, 19:50 PM

One thing that has been greatly overlooked is tooltip accuracy. Besides obvious typos, there are many commanders, intel bulletins, unit descriptions, upgrades, abilities etc. that are wrong, at times being even empty!

It would be easy to identify them, make a list and fix them. I would gladly contribute.

As they are right now, they make the game look very unpolished, while at the same time making it hard to new players to get started.
12 Apr 2020, 20:29 PM

One thing that has been greatly overlooked is tooltip accuracy. Besides obvious typos, there are many commanders, intel bulletins, unit descriptions, upgrades, abilities etc. that are wrong, at times being even empty!

It would be easy to identify them, make a list and fix them. I would gladly contribute.

As they are right now, they make the game look very unpolished, while at the same time making it hard to new players to get started.

check this:
https://www.coh2.org/topic/93861/feedback-on-ui-changes-of-the-game
12 Apr 2020, 20:53 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Apr 2020, 14:38 PMLago
Go through the changelog, assess the changes, toss out what you don't need any more? Standardise stats where you can, remove exceptions to the rules you don't need.

If this is something the Balance Team is willing to consider, I'm happy to do the work to produce a spreadsheet from the changelog that breaks down changes by unit.

CoH2 could use a 'cleanup patch', but I don't think there's anything that could be "tossed out"; all of the changes are needed. That said, there's a ton of really strange inconsistencies, missing tool-tips/descriptions, broken bulletins, etc. that could be fixed (can we please get MG's firing arcs to actually match the UI cone?).
12 Apr 2020, 21:19 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Not sure what can be removed but anything that makes the game more polished (UI, tooltips, etc) is always appreciated.

Standardisation unfortunately is a way of balance, so unless you mention what you have in mind, it's difficult to asses.
12 Apr 2020, 21:27 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

To save your power, i am preparing the sheet with text issues. We can cooperate. My goal right now is:
- Mark all issues, where several things using the same text strings
- Mark all issues, where absolutely no text and no NoKey error
- Mark all issues, where NoKey exists in default locfile

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZsVcT2zuDtvSGPpgAI7tkEOlWFu0Ing-q11zNnklFQQ/edit?usp=sharing

I can give you access and you will add section with typos, outdated information and etc. I didn't do it by myself, because already maintaining fixed localization in russian, so i don't want to do the same job twice in english.

12 Apr 2020, 21:46 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

I think it absolutely could use one. One dedicated to QOL across the board, one dedicated to bugfixes, one for rebalancing skill plane abilities, etc.
12 Apr 2020, 23:00 PM

To save your power, i am preparing the sheet with text issues. We can cooperate. My goal right now is:
- Mark all issues, where several things using the same text strings
- Mark all issues, where absolutely no text and no NoKey error
- Mark all issues, where NoKey exists in default locfile

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZsVcT2zuDtvSGPpgAI7tkEOlWFu0Ing-q11zNnklFQQ/edit?usp=sharing

I can give you access and you will add section with typos, outdated information and etc. I didn't do it by myself, because already maintaining fixed localization in russian, so i don't want to do the same job twice in english.

Please put me on, whatever is needed. I'd love to help with fixing and clarifying tooltips.
12 Apr 2020, 23:47 PM

I think it absolutely could use one. One dedicated to QOL across the board, one dedicated to bugfixes, one for rebalancing skill plane abilities, etc.

Veterancy really need to be look at as well.

XP values that are all over the place
Vet bonus not suited for units role
Vet 1 abilities not suited for units role
Vet bonuses that completely change the balance between units once vetted
12 Apr 2020, 23:50 PM

Not sure what can be removed but anything that makes the game more polished (UI, tooltips, etc) is always appreciated.

Standardisation unfortunately is a way of balance, so unless you mention what you have in mind, it's difficult to asses.

Well, there's two categories, imo. The first, as you said, is standardization in terms of unit performance/balance; so bring the IS2's range in line with other heavies at all levels of vet, or fixing the inconsistent pricing on turret MGs (USF is particularly bad). These would have minor balance implications, though.

Then there's stuff that's consistences for no real reason (that I can discern), like the current state of friendly-fire.

I think the later (and things like it) should be looked at, and could be fixed with little-to-no knock-on effects.
13 Apr 2020, 01:38 AM

And maybe it can do with some bal team members who are semi competent with QUALITY CONTROL.

Like you know anything about this...

If you were in charge Ostheer would have already evolved to be a rampant AI program and would be conquering the internet
13 Apr 2020, 02:39 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

Absolutely; we on the UI team have a lot of improved UI assets and fixes lying around but, due to time constraints and focus on balance itself, have yet to be included. A UI or QoL exclusive patch would be awesome!
13 Apr 2020, 07:25 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

I'd like to also see a fixup for singleplayer. Alot of features that were removed or tweaked for multiplayer have really borked the singleplayer campaign. Most of the formations, squad-ai, weapon balancing and even some abilities are either broken or missing entirely.
13 Apr 2020, 09:40 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Apr 2020, 07:25 AMLugie
I'd like to also see a fixup for singleplayer. Alot of features that were removed or tweaked for multiplayer have really borked the singleplayer campaign. Most of the formations, squad-ai, weapon balancing and even some abilities are either broken or missing entirely.

Glad to see you back! You are right, singleplayer need polish as well, and ToW too. They were abandonned for to long. I am not speaking about adding new content, just to make it work as intended. But there should be somebody, who ready to take the responsibility and do it.
13 Apr 2020, 11:24 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Apr 2020, 14:38 PMLago
https://community.companyofheroes.com/discussion/67/coh-2-changelog

CoH 2 has a big changelog.

It's had seven years of patches with a focus on immediate solutions: an exception to the rules here, a contexual buff there. Each individual patch seems fine, but the game is starting to feel the strain of seven years of band-aids layered on top of each other.

Could it do with a cleanup patch? Go through the changelog, assess the changes, toss out what you don't need any more? Standardise stats where you can, remove exceptions to the rules you don't need.

+1
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Germany 30
Germany 744
unknown 19
Germany 1
unknown 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W