Login

russian armor

Artillery/Off-map friendly-fire consistency issues

23 Jun 2019, 20:10 PM

After a few recent games, I noticed that it seemed like some abilities (both on and off map) were doing some strange things in regards to friendly-fire damage; so I decided to test out everything I could. What I found is that there's some really strange inconsistencies. Unfortunately, I don't have the exact numbers for things like damage reduction, but I did find that all abilities fell into one of four categories:

High Damage - These abilities did a lot of friendly-fire damage
Reduced Damage - These abilities did a lot of friendly-fire damage, but did NOT wipe any models for infantry
Low Damage - These abilities did very little friendly-fire damage (~5% hp loss on pios)
Zero Damage - These abilities did NO friendly-fire damage

Note: these are all targeted against your own units; not teammates.

Rocket/Heavy Artillery
Almost all of the on-map rocket and heavy artillery did low damage to friendly units; however, there were some outliers.

OST
LeFH does high damage to friendly units
Panzerwerfer does low damage, but also suppresses/pins friendly units

OKW
SturmTiger does reduced damage, but also suppresses

UKF
UKF Base Arty does high damage
Churchill AVRE does high damage

note: UKF base arty could count as off-map, since it cannot be built or targeted by enemies, in which case it does fall in line with most other off-map abilities.

Light Artillery/Mortars
Every single light artillery (below 10cm) and mortar in the game does low damage to friendlies

Off-Map
In general, every manually targeted (i.e. non-loiter, sector, etc.) off-map ability does high damage to friendlies, but there are some outliers.

OST
Stuka JU-87D Anti-Infantry Strafe does zero damage
Stuka JU-87 Anti-Tank Strafe does low damage

SOV
Tactical IL-2 Rocket Run does zero damage - BUG: it's a 23mm cannon run, not rockets.
IL-2 PTAB AT does low damage but also stuns the crew for tanks.
IL-2 Precision bombing does reduced damage

USF
P47 Strafing Run does zero damage
Time of Target does low damage
240mm Howitzer does low damage

UKF
Precision Barrage does zero damage
Air suppremacy operation: Strafe does zero damage, bombs do high damage

In general, I don't think these are intended; there's just no consistency. I could see all strafes doing low friendly damage, but things like USF 240mm doing low damage, or the LeFH doing high damage are just entirely out of line with similar (or identical) abilities/units for other teams.

If I've missed any outliers, feel free to post them. Alternatively, if anyone disagrees with my tests, I can try again and post pictures/videos. Also, if anyone could check the actual stats, that would be great, too.
3 Aug 2019, 19:14 PM

Bump? You can attack through some of your own (or friendly) off and on map abilities and take literally zero damage.
3 Aug 2019, 21:29 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Uhm yeah. There's not much more to add. Friedly fire is completely over the place. You can look up the stats in the attribute editor when you download it in the tools subsection of Steam.

Does not make much sense, but it likely won't be changed as well, as the impact on the game is surprisingly little.
Just find out what does no damage and cheese the fuck out of it. Or be like basically 99,9% of the community, me included, and have no idea what damage each ability does to your own units, but better not try it out anyway.

The numbers are all over the place, but even the high damage ones rarely whipe your squads
3 Aug 2019, 21:32 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

Didn't add Soviet ML120, Priest, or Sexton.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★