Login

russian armor

Poll to Roll-Back the current patch (April 2020)

12 Apr 2020, 14:31 PM

This was fixed in the live patch by setting a very low priority for the AI to build medic squads. Or something like that, I'm not familiar with how the AI scripts work. It shouldn't build more than one if it even builds one at all.

If this is still an issue or if anything else regarding AI is an issue we'd love detailed reports so we can actually look into these issues and try to fix them. Complaining "the AI doesn't work revert patch" without mentioning what's actually wrong gets us absolutely nowhere. We can't fix something if we don't know it's broken.

Nevermind then. The OP didn't say what was actually wrong with it so I thought the medic issue is what he was referring to.
12 Apr 2020, 14:53 PM

When I played vs AI with Winter Balance Preview to test my maps I noticed that UKF AI now builds medics and uses them as a frontline infantry unit. That makes the complete UKF AI useless. On top of that they build HQs in random locations constantly. Soviet and USF AI can be used to have a somewhat decent game but UKF AI is completely helpless. I guess the post refers to this.

I pointed this out in the feedback thread because I knew it will fuck over all the comp stompers hard but apparently they didn't listen/care about this issue.

I know that most people here don't care about AI games but we shouldn't be so ignorant to just ignore this (significant) part of the COH2 population.

I played vs Soviet and UKF expert AI earlier to test my ping and I didnt notice any difference in 30minutes. still aggressive capping and infantry spam.

And now people complain about a weird UKF AI suddenly? I dont get it. The brit AI in this game always was completely pathetic. Even if it would spam medics it doesnt seem useless to me as it can use these cheap 180mp squads to cap fast around the map
12 Apr 2020, 15:34 PM

I played vs Soviet and UKF expert AI earlier to test my ping and I didnt notice any difference in 30minutes. still aggressive capping and infantry spam.

And now people complain about a weird UKF AI suddenly? I dont get it. The brit AI in this game always was completely pathetic. Even if it would spam medics it doesnt seem useless to me as it can use these cheap 180mp squads to cap fast around the map

Before Cheatmod, I used to try to test units by doing a 4v4 comp stomp and making the AI's even. The UKF AI was never as good as the other AI.

I still comp-stomp sometimes but usually don't use UKF. It sometimes attempts to build emplacements near VP's, even if the squad is getting shot at before they start. The infantry battles went okay but mid and late game weren't normally okay. Putting a higher priority on tanks or TD's and a lower priority on emplacements might help.
12 Apr 2020, 15:49 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Could it be a matter of difficulty? As in easy is REALLY stupid now and Expert is the same as before ?
12 Apr 2020, 20:52 PM

If this is still an issue or if anything else regarding AI is an issue we'd love detailed reports so we can actually look into these issues and try to fix them. Complaining "the AI doesn't work revert patch" without mentioning what's actually wrong gets us absolutely nowhere. We can't fix something if we don't know it's broken.

I am doing testing... so far I have found it impacts OH, US & UK. I have not played against OKW. The soviets seem less affected... but after an initial attack go hide.

It also only seems to happen on certain maps. Which is possibly why some folk have not encountered this yet.

What basically happens is the AI clumps units in areas that are out of sight, it does not attack. Even when shelled, it remains static.

Now I know this is patch related as it has just started. It is happening on maps that I have played hundreds of times, with the same settings. It is the kind of games I like to play, where I hold up at a choke point & pet waves of expert AI try & dislodge me. Now I watch the birds...

I am a fairly prolific mod'er, with over 5000 hours in the game & I cant figure how you have broken it... but the AI has most definitely been castrated. I will put up some maps & stats when I have done some more testing. But you can probably see it on my https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1953125468 map here. I destroy the free stuff on the bridge as I thought maybe it wasn't attacking because of strength on the bridge. But even if I leave the bridge unguarded, the two AI respectively group in on the two points on the other side of the bridge out of LOS. I am getting this on other maps, but am trying to find a common theme.
12 Apr 2020, 21:00 PM

I noticed that there were changes in the files that were modified by the patch to not allow editing in the coh2 mod tools. The old files are the only ones that can be edited.
12 Apr 2020, 21:54 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Apr 2020, 20:52 PMAdler
I am getting this on other maps, but am trying to find a common theme.

Yeah please try to find out if there's something that triggers it and report back. I never play vs AI so I don't know how the AI is really supposed to work or if their behaviour has changed since the last patch. When I launched a custom game vs 4x UKF AI (all levels) to see if they'd spam medics or not, they sent all their units to some spots and just idled there, but then again I wasn't doing anything. But I've run some test games just now and the AI seemed to be running around and attacking like it should.
12 Apr 2020, 22:30 PM

Great... I found my laptop & was thinking to transfer the old files from that so I could at least enjoy my easter... turns out you can not turn off updates for this game.

Please please please put a beta version of the pre-patch up.
12 Apr 2020, 23:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Apr 2020, 22:30 PMAdler
Great... I found my laptop & was thinking to transfer the old files from that so I could at least enjoy my easter... turns out you can not turn off updates for this game.

Please please please put a beta version of the pre-patch up.

I think if you start Steam in offline mode you can play the old version - just disconnect your internet before starting Steam.
12 Apr 2020, 23:50 PM

Stuffs my other games frustratingly...

Can the team please advise which AI files they over wrote. I have the last version of the game & will just pull the AI files from there.

That way you can carry on doing what ever you want & the 100,000 who use my mods can carry on comp stomping in happiness.

Below you can see an example of what is happening.... the AI just sits around... clumped all its units in one location & didn't attack. It used too. I went on & took the VP & it didn't even counter attack. I took it with a HMG & Flak... easy to counter with what they had sitting around.

1v1 Exp AI, just sat there in a group

Different Map, vs 2 expert AI... even left them 3/4 of the map & they still sat there.
13 Apr 2020, 01:10 AM

After seeing Seeking play Brits, I fully agree with reverting the patch and banning whoever approved the Brits buffs from coh2 for life. Anyone curious should just see miragefla's tonight stream and his games vs seeking.
13 Apr 2020, 05:02 AM

Could it be a matter of difficulty? As in easy is REALLY stupid now and Expert is the same as before ?

The difficulty levels seem about the same as they were before the patch. I just tried a couple comp stomps and couldn't duplicate the AI going to one place on the map and just staying there.

I have seen Easy AI send units to places on the map and have them camp there, but it did that before the patch also.
MMX
13 Apr 2020, 05:26 AM

Yeah please try to find out if there's something that triggers it and report back. I never play vs AI so I don't know how the AI is really supposed to work or if their behaviour has changed since the last patch. When I launched a custom game vs 4x UKF AI (all levels) to see if they'd spam medics or not, they sent all their units to some spots and just idled there, but then again I wasn't doing anything. But I've run some test games just now and the AI seemed to be running around and attacking like it should.

Though not related to Brits, I remember people complained about the OKW AI not purchasing the T4 Panzer Authorization upgrade (or very late). As a result, it keeps spamming light vehicles instead of tanks until very late in the game, which of course makes it quite easy to counter. One of the modders back then suggested this could be easily fixed by increasing the 'priority threshold' to purchase the upgrade.
Not sure if this has been considered already, but I thought I'll throw it in here.
13 Apr 2020, 08:02 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Apr 2020, 05:02 AMGrumpy

The difficulty levels seem about the same as they were before the patch. I just tried a couple comp stomps and couldn't duplicate the AI going to one place on the map and just staying there.

I have seen Easy AI send units to places on the map and have them camp there, but it did that before the patch also.

I have provided pictures a few posts up, it is definitely happening, but it is most prevalent on choke point maps. It did not happen prior to the patch. the Ai on all my games is Expert. The US & the OH have behaved the same as the British. If you don't attack them, they just sit. In my second picture, I had a small force on a VP & didn't move on... they UK advanced to the closest point & sat out of range. Not one single shot was fired! As you can see in the picture they could have easily overwhelmed me & killed my home base.

I have 1000s of games vs the AI, its all I play bar a few hundred on multi-player. I promise you the AI is castrated.

@MMX I have observed the OKW just building light vehicle, I encountered kubels & Pumas, & nothing else. They did attack though, but after I belted off one attack, they then just grouped up again.

The Russians seem to fairly much as before, but I have not done more testing yet. To be honest I am pretty over this. I just want to know what files they changed so I can turn them back & just disappear back into obscurity & hope never to bother folk again.

EDIT: Just had a game where the Russians did it. It now seems to be erratic, but universal.
13 Apr 2020, 08:32 AM

If I remember correctly this is not first time AI behavior become worse after patch. Maybe one could find what is causing it by looking at what happened the previous time.
13 Apr 2020, 11:41 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post12 Apr 2020, 14:24 PMLago

While you make a lot of good points, the original devs had exactly the same approach. The game is a tangled mess under the weight of seven years of drastic changes and overcomplicated, inconsistent solutions, not three.

What it desperately needs is a big standardisation patch.

I cannot disagree with this. Instead of releasing patches every season, they should just work for half a year on a big standardisation patch, return some messed-up maps to their original state (What the hell have they done to Angoville?!) and focus on faction differences. Then return to seasonal patches and make only 1-2 more of them, while only focusing on units stats and NOT game mechanics.
13 Apr 2020, 16:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Apr 2020, 08:02 AMAdler

I have provided pictures a few posts up, it is definitely happening, but it is most prevalent on choke point maps. ..snip..

I only tried a few games on Lanzerath and couldn't get it to happen. Have you had the error on any of the maps in the Automatch rotation, and if so, which ones? Also, is it any different if you don't use CheatCommands?
13 Apr 2020, 16:31 PM

After seeing Seeking play Brits, I fully agree with reverting the patch and banning whoever approved the Brits buffs from coh2 for life. Anyone curious should just see miragefla's tonight stream and his games vs seeking.

i fully agree, i dont get how brits can have evrything without any weakness, they have a huge early game powerspike, resonalbe cheap and very durable infantry on the field healing, aec to shut down any light vehicle play, cheap tech.

And dont even get me started on the commanders, from broken airstrikes (tactical support) to cheap pak drops for 125 mp, and a ability that locks down an entire map for 2 min (amazing for teamgames) while also having valentine techbypass.
13 Apr 2020, 20:11 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post13 Apr 2020, 16:24 PMGrumpy

I only tried a few games on Lanzerath and couldn't get it to happen. Have you had the error on any of the maps in the Automatch rotation, and if so, which ones? Also, is it any different if you don't use CheatCommands?

I am finding it is possibly exacerbated by cheat commands. Which is frustrating as it means I wasted about 30 games of testing, I only used it to watch what they were doing I tried a bunch of AI mods & it happened with all bar one of them (a 2016 Nightmare WinCond for Exp AI - that gave massive resources & full LOS to all AI)

It seems to happen if you stop, as in if you stop attacking & say defend 1 or 2 choke points, the AI will stop & not even fire a shot. It wont even enter the area. The 179 units mod seems to be unaffected, My Angriff series of mods are, as are many other tuning packs. I tried replacing the AI files that I guessed had been used, around 12 of them, it still did it... that irked me!

I am doing most of my test to date on the first map I linked, as that shows it up very well. I was using that map & trying different mods. Today I will do more vanilla testing with different maps & see if I can nail it down. I played until 2am last night working on this. Wife is getting pissy.
13 Apr 2020, 20:14 PM

i fully agree, i dont get how brits can have evrything without any weakness, they have a huge early game powerspike, resonalbe cheap and very durable infantry on the field healing, aec to shut down any light vehicle play, cheap tech.

And dont even get me started on the commanders, from broken airstrikes (tactical support) to cheap pak drops for 125 mp, and a ability that locks down an entire map for 2 min (amazing for teamgames) while also having valentine techbypass.

Dont forget the best infantry tank in the game, which cannot be pentrated from the front by anything lesser than a Panther, land matresses, that can just be recrewed ad infinium unlike other rocket artillery while also damaging tanks and firing for three centuries nonstop, Comet spam in team games, because "Its just a British Panther, that can also wipe infantry, which is FINE" and now, since their only weakness was CQC combat they get SMG sections buildable from early midgame. Beautiful.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★