Login

russian armor

UKF Medics

If UKF has base medics, what implementation is best?
Option Distribution Votes
81%
19%
Total votes: 37
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
26 Mar 2020, 15:23 PM

The new patch gives UKF base medics, but it's being done by adding the Vanguard Glider's medic squad to the HQ.

This is a pretty janky implementation: anyone who's used the USF medics knows how much they like to chase squads onto the battlefield. It also lets you use medics as cappers and combatants.

You can get some pretty crazy healing going by building more than one squad. That's not ideal for something that was intended to be a fairly weak healing option.

Base automatrons like the other factions get are more user friendly (they'll sit in the base and heal), avoid the jank, are fundamentally limited to one and as a bonus avoid the rather ahistorical use of Red Cross medics as frontline combat troops.

Would automatrons be better, or are these squad-based medics a good idea?
MMX
26 Mar 2020, 15:39 PM

well i guess you could always get a forward assembly instead?
26 Mar 2020, 16:30 PM

All automatrons are stupid. The best healing method is from coh1's panzer elite where you get automatic healing in the base sector. That should have been the implementation for soviets/ukf and maybe okw with bghq being a forward base or whatever.
26 Mar 2020, 17:24 PM

All automatrons are stupid. The best healing method is from coh1's panzer elite where you get automatic healing in the base sector. That should have been the implementation for soviets/ukf and maybe okw with bghq being a forward base or whatever.

Id just give the medics a small aoe of healing so they don't screw up unable to heal the last member. For the UKF medics just tying them to the structure like ost bunker/UKF forward assembly medics would be best to save micro and what not
26 Mar 2020, 17:35 PM

If the medic come live as a squad, i will rather built forward assembly in the base. I already doing so, nothing change.
26 Mar 2020, 18:01 PM

Id just give the medics a small aoe of healing so they don't screw up unable to heal the last member. For the UKF medics just tying them to the structure like ost bunker/UKF forward assembly medics would be best to save micro and what not

That's what I think, yeah. Do them like the Soviet ones where you pay for them and they sit by the base structure.

That's much easier to use for their intended purpose (a base healing option for non-Section builds) and solves the medic-stacking and medic army problems that the squad implementation creates.

Reusing the Vanguard Glider squad seems like the worst of both worlds to me: it's janky to use and opens up a whole can of unintended interactions.
26 Mar 2020, 19:01 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Mar 2020, 15:23 PMLago
Would automatrons be better, or are these squad-based medics a good idea?

I find the medic squad gimmicky, only useful if non-medic IS upgrades become very attractive.

Also...
26 Mar 2020, 19:39 PM
Modmaker Badge

I'd like to point out that when healing manually, hovering over a wounded squad and right clicking on them requires you to specifically click on a damaged entity in the squad.

For example, if you're in a situation where 3 of the squad's models are at full health, but fourth one is not, you'll have to specifically right-click on that one guy to heal them. Otherwise no action will be taken.

Interestingly, if you use the ability through the menu or shortcut, you can left-click on any entity in the squad and the medics will heal them properly.
26 Mar 2020, 19:39 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Mar 2020, 18:01 PMLago

That's what I think, yeah. Do them like the Soviet ones where you pay for them and they sit by the base structure.

That's much easier to use for their intended purpose (a base healing option for non-Section builds) and solves the medic-stacking and medic army problems that the squad implementation creates.

Reusing the Vanguard Glider squad seems like the worst of both worlds to me: it's janky to use and opens up a whole can of unintended interactions.

Plus, do the medics take up pop? If so then that's shitty, if NOT then they could be abused since they can cap territory.
It's simply more streamlined to have them automatrons and easier for balance as well. Staple the automatrons to the glider and call that a day (I literally can not think of a single time I've seen or built the medic squad anyways
26 Mar 2020, 20:09 PM

Plus, do the medics take up pop? If so then that's shitty, if NOT then they could be abused since they can cap territory.
It's simply more streamlined to have them automatrons and easier for balance as well. Staple the automatrons to the glider and call that a day (I literally can not think of a single time I've seen or built the medic squad anyways

They take up 3 if memory serves.
26 Mar 2020, 21:56 PM

It would also help a lot to not make medic and forward retreat mutually exclusive on the forward base...

This would have been enough fixing imo if the base then also becomes cheaper (100 or 150mp) and forward retreat more expensive again, rather than adding a medic squad to the faction
28 Mar 2020, 00:18 AM

I tend to think the medic upgrade was thrown in because they could, rather than if they should. I would sooner see tweaks made to the forward headquarters allowing it to be more viable to build in the base. Whether that be a change to say 150 MP cost or quicker build times on the FHQ.

I don't think the structure itself is that oppressive, at least in any games I have played and as such I wouldn't think it would shift the games balance drastically in any direction.
31 Mar 2020, 18:17 PM

Any chance for a patch team response on this one? For once there actually seems to be some rough agreement.
31 Mar 2020, 21:28 PM

I used auto-medics in my UKF Redesign mod. So, I initially leaned that way, but the medic squad does have a couple of advantages.

-Allows flexible use, but requires micro to do so. You could always leave them by your HQ.
-Infantry Section Medical Supplies allow you to heal in the field. Only a mobile squad could move into that niche, making Medical Supplies less mandatory.
-Faction diversity. The good kind.
-They have their own voice lines (I feel like this played into adding the Officer as well)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★