Login

russian armor

KV-2 armor

2 Jan 2020, 06:01 AM

Been playing with 'Urben defense tactics' for a while now and here are my thoughts under 2v2/3v3 conditions,

Forward headquaters - I think it is a great to have this forward HQ in the early game, however I personally prefer it in the late game when Heavy tanks like tigers are around, cant afford to send my support weapons like AT guns to base for reinforce.

M-42 AT gun - Never really call it in due to it poor late game pene, although comes in handy during early game light tanks rush.

Shocks - Luv them...nothing to complain.

Booby traps - I think i can hardly ever use this ability due to its lengthy time to trap a point. In the heat of battle, a 30-muni mine is very practical and rewarding.

KV-2 - Well, i think this unit is in a better place than it used to be (sitting duck). However, the biggest drawback is that it is very difficult to use it offensively. It's armor is very weak, almost like a P4's (figuratively), and it is very sluggish, a single Panther can scarifice itself to kill the KV-2.

I think a slight armor or health buff will be useful since it costs same as Tiger and performs not to a same level.

2 Jan 2020, 08:14 AM

It has 300 armor, that is not weak at all. That's the same level of protection as the Tiger, but without having to face 220-300 penetration TDs.
2 Jan 2020, 08:24 AM

KV-2 is likely a single most well balanced heavy in game at the moment.
Clear role, clear weakness, can take on anything lighter, but will not roflstomp it, can't take on panther.
2 Jan 2020, 08:43 AM

I feel like some people are getting that feeling when comparing it to the tiger and is2. Realistically it's a fine unit.

300 armour is decent and it's isn't ment to go head to head with tanks like the panther, at best it can fend it off.

Only thing I think could be tweaked is it's vet or seige mode (or vet to improve seige mode).

Again, it's current state it's good.
2 Jan 2020, 10:29 AM

I disagree with the OP. The armour is quite good and anything short of a Panther will really struggle with it.
2 Jan 2020, 17:51 PM

Permanently Banned
kv2 sucks big time. Its unable to kill infantry reliable, and the area damage is pathetic.
2 Jan 2020, 18:22 PM

KV2 is a good tank.

The siege mode is a joke but besides that - solid unit.

Would I like to see it get a larger AoE with a small amount of splash damage? Probably. Misses right now with its reload speed are painful. But it's not exactly a priority 1 fix.
2 Jan 2020, 19:33 PM

The siege mode is a joke but besides that - solid unit

Only in some modes. The Siege Mode is quite good for parking it behind a shotblocker and pummeling a VP or other frontline sector in 3v3s and 4v4s where battles are more concentrated. Static units/emplacements/abilities are rarely any good in 1v1s, but a lot more useful in teamgames.
2 Jan 2020, 19:44 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

If it still has absurd rear armor it should be lowered.
2 Jan 2020, 19:47 PM

If it still has absurd rear armor it should be lowered.

It has absurdly bad gun for tank vs tank engagements, whatever that armor is, its fine.
2 Jan 2020, 19:50 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

It has absurdly bad gun for tank vs tank engagements, whatever that armor is, its fine.

It can contest a panther with its deflection damage. It isn't that bad.
2 Jan 2020, 20:21 PM

I think the siege mode should just be replaced with a barrage (like a shorter version of the scotts perhaps?)

As at the moment siege mode is more risk than reward.

otherwise, it's a nice, solid tank.

I do think that Soviet Industry (the other commander with this tank) should have the KV8 replaced with the T34/85 though as a side note.
2 Jan 2020, 20:32 PM

Only in some modes. The Siege Mode is quite good for parking it behind a shotblocker and pummeling a VP or other frontline sector in 3v3s and 4v4s where battles are more concentrated. Static units/emplacements/abilities are rarely any good in 1v1s, but a lot more useful in teamgames.

A decent enemy team is going to stuka drop the hell outta a siege mode KV2.

It can be squeezed for a very, very occasional length of usefulness, but once you set it up it's never going to be long before a decent team has a threat ready for it, and the tear down time is a genuine liability.

IMO, just let it have a Brummbar style barrage. It's an ML-20 gun after all.
2 Jan 2020, 23:48 PM

I disagree with a fair bit of this even from a 2v2 perspective, though 3v3 and 4v4 is another matter.

While you shouldnt be calling in an M-42 in the late game unless you have no choice, it scales well into the mid game if you properly use the camouflage to get the extra damage output. If you spot a tank, get your M-42 into position and cloak right before it opens up to get that bonus pen and rate of fire. Coupled with the penetration bonus from vet, a pair of M-42s can be used to zone out most axis armor with the exception of the brummbar and king tiger. They wont kill a panther, but they dont have to fear a panther either-as long as they have support(another m42, a con with AT nade, ptrs penal or guards).

The booby traps are good because they are not capped at 2 model kills and will not be triggered by vehicles(unless the vehicle is capping). Even if you dont get model kills, the health damage inflicted is considerable and will leave an enemy squad ripe for a wipe. Grab an extra engineer squad if you want to use booby traps but you find build times an issue. You should have at least 2 and preferably 3 in the endgame with this commander anyway since it lacks repair abilities.

The KV2 has great armor, I'm not entirely sure why you feel the armor is poor, but 300 is quite decent. Yeah the kv2 is a bit clumsy, but that's something you can overcome with planning and good unit control.

3 Jan 2020, 00:57 AM

Pretty much. Who woulda though "siege mode" is best when used against a passive/defensive enemy like team games are ripe with

Its job is to break the stalemate by breaking your enemys shit or bleeding them dry and it does that really well, especially combined with attack ground.

Siege mode basically makes it a heavy mortar. Use it like one and profit.
3 Jan 2020, 18:53 PM

Permanently Banned
it is not like a heavy mortar. It has barely more range than an AT gun in siege mode.
ANd the accuracy is disturbingly poor. Especially in siege mode it is the most useless tank.
3 Jan 2020, 19:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Jan 2020, 18:53 PMRitter
it is not like a heavy mortar. It has barely more range than an AT gun in siege mode.
ANd the accuracy is disturbingly poor. Especially in siege mode it is the most useless tank.

The guy is right you know. KV was a beast, but...

-It could not fire sideways or it will tumble down
-It was ment for urban combat only, with such a high profile turret and slow travrese speed was basically a hard sitting duck
-Its short barrel would not fire high velocity rounds, hitting far targets must have been a nightmare
-The ammount of vodka you can carry in it is very limited, most of the space inside was used for the mega-sized shells, ivan would not like this

But actually ingame the unit is useful. More than its actual IRL counterpart. In wise hands and propper situation is good. As any doctrinal unit should be. Its actually fine. It could be better, but there is no need to.
3 Jan 2020, 19:59 PM

Permanently Banned
No it isnt fine. ITs unable to kill. And that at its high price tag. I would rather just use a kv8 + SU85, who do a better job at both AI and AT
3 Jan 2020, 21:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post3 Jan 2020, 19:59 PMRitter
No it isnt fine. ITs unable to kill. And that at its high price tag. I would rather just use a kv8 + SU85, who do a better job at both AI and AT

2 units require double the micro. Plus they are more fragile by themselves. A stuka bomb dive would obliterate an idle su85, for example, but a KV2 not.

CoH encourages good desitions but also rewards micro. 2 Units can adapt better aswell, but 1 KV2 supported can open certain doors a kv8 wont. (you cant do deflection damage with flames, you know)
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Russian Federation 35
unknown 22
Poland 9
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %