Login

russian armor

Poorly Optimised game - Why?

7 Nov 2019, 15:18 PM

With a Ryzen 6/12T, max fps in a 4v4 late game ~15-25 fps, this is so poorly optimised.

Why did Relic devs abandon this game long time ago? They could have atleast allocated one or two staff to work on this game?

Sad that they made this decision even thou COH2 is their only game with decent player base.
7 Nov 2019, 15:24 PM

I'm of the impression that everybody who made the engine left the company when THQ filed for bankrupcy but before Sega bailed them out. They may not have had the knowledge to make any amount of resources invested in a fix provide an efficient return.

My game rarely crashed on my old Computer but after buying all new stuff it crashes if i don't restart every other game :snfQuinn:
7 Nov 2019, 15:28 PM

I have ryzen 2600 overclock to 4ghz, i dont have lag in 4v4 at ultrawide res.
7 Nov 2019, 18:48 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

My game rarely crashed on my old Computer but after buying all new stuff it crashes if i don't restart every other game :snfQuinn:

The dark side of the code is a pathway to many spaghetti some consider unnatural.
7 Nov 2019, 19:12 PM

There's more to performance than just your CPU. What GPU, RAM, etc. are you using?

I'm using a fairly old system (i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, GTX 970), and get quite good performance (50-80fps) at 1440p on nearly max settings, so there's really no reason anyone should be getting sub-30 on a better system.
7 Nov 2019, 19:27 PM

In the actual game it feels fine for me. I usually run ~60 FPS with 1080p and my quality is set to pretty as fuck. I only struggle in the lobby with ~15 FPS and when there is a lot of smoke and fire on the screen. As far as I know you can wiggle the settings and get significantly better frames, sadly at the cost of how your game looks.

I think CoH2 is very pretty and luckily you don't need very high FPS in an RTS game.
7 Nov 2019, 19:37 PM

In the actual game it feels fine for me. I usually run ~60 FPS with 1080p and my quality is set to pretty as fuck. I only struggle in the lobby with ~15 FPS and when there is a lot of smoke and fire on the screen. As far as I know you can wiggle the settings and get significantly better frames, sadly at the cost of how your game looks.

I think CoH2 is very pretty and luckily you don't need very high FPS in an RTS game.

The menu/lobby FPS is low because of the background background videos; it's not actually rendering smoke/fire. Supposedly there is a fix for this, but I'm not sure on the exact details.
7 Nov 2019, 19:46 PM

The menu/lobby FPS is low because of the background background videos; it's not actually rendering smoke/fire. Supposedly there is a fix for this, but I'm not sure on the exact details.

Thanks for info, however I meant that I suffer from FPS drop when see smoke and fire on the screen in the match, not in a lobby. The low lobby FPS is a separate issue, probably related to the background vid as you say. There is also lobby opacity that can be manipulated, but I haven't been fiddling with that too much yet. Lobby FPS doesn't bother me too much to be honest.
7 Nov 2019, 20:44 PM

As far as I know you can wiggle the settings and get significantly better frames, sadly at the cost of how your game looks.

The level of anti-aliasing kills my FPS when smoke and fire exist. Play with those settings, start with off of course. If you have an nVidia card you may be able to force the post render antialisiaing FXAA in the nVidia control panel.

The lobby videos lock the frame rate to 30 FPS. So just below 30 is to be expected.
7 Nov 2019, 21:02 PM

Works fine on my 12 year old computer. Breaks my brother’s brand new computer. :loco:

WTF :clap:
7 Nov 2019, 21:17 PM

Just a hint:

Sometimes hardware is too strong to run the game properly.

Source: A friend who needs to limit power of his GPU to play couple of games without constant crashing.
7 Nov 2019, 21:25 PM

Works fine on my 12 year old computer. Breaks my brother’s brand new computer. :loco:

WTF :clap:

Play the original Quake on a PC just 5 or so years after it was made and the whole game is accelerated. When calculating time between frames, it was happening too fast and the code went ape shit.

As Katitof eluded: In the war for who has the fastest videocards, drivers were optimized for the coolest current games and the code that runs them. Newer cards are not optimized for old games because no one is buying a card based on its FPS for a 7 year old game. And the coding methods change for each generation of cards that comes out. So newer drivers may actually break the game. You could start with the OLDEST driver your NEW card has available and see how it goes.
7 Nov 2019, 21:28 PM

Play the original Quake on a PC just 5 or so years after it was made and the whole game is accelerated. When calculating time between frames, it was happening too fast and the code went ape shit.

As Katitof eluded: In the war for who has the fastest videocards, drivers were optimized for the coolest current games and the code that runs them. Newer cards are not optimized for old games because no one is buying a card based on its FPS for a 7 year old game. And the coding methods change for each generation of cards that comes out. So newer drivers may actually break the game. You could start with the OLDEST driver your NEW card has available and see how it goes.

I played Quake on my brand new desktop a couple summers ago and it worked perfectly.
8 Nov 2019, 02:19 AM

There's more to performance than just your CPU. What GPU, RAM, etc. are you using?

I'm using a fairly old system (i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz, GTX 970), and get quite good performance (50-80fps) at 1440p on nearly max settings, so there's really no reason anyone should be getting sub-30 on a better system.

CPU Ryzen 5 2600
GPU RX 580 8 GB 1380 Mhz
RAM 16GB Dual 3000 Mhz DDR4
SSD for storage
Win 10 pro
8 Nov 2019, 02:22 AM

Just a hint:

Sometimes hardware is too strong to run the game properly.

Source: A friend who needs to limit power of his GPU to play couple of games without constant crashing.

Yea I get that, but Relic is no bankrupt yet. They should atleast put in the least amount of resources to optimise the things they could do and let let the community know about it.

8 Nov 2019, 07:26 AM

Yea I get that, but Relic is no bankrupt yet. They should atleast put in the least amount of resources to optimise the things they could do and let let the community know about it.

It doesn't work that way.
The game is optimized.
Just not into the far future.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment