Login

russian armor

Command KV-8 tank in NKVD?

9 Oct 2019, 11:53 AM

Hi all I was wondering that soviets don't have any sort of command tank or tank commander ability. Maybe it will be a good change if the regular kv8 is substituted for a command kv8 which can buff the nearby units. It suits the theme of nkvd disruption and political approach. Also i know vet 1 ability is inspire infantry. It can be changed to something else. What are your thoughts on this unit? Please don't say that this commander is viable as it is. I'm talking about a command tank in soviet line up. Because currently there's none.

P.S i am not sure if this comes under balance or lobby.
9 Oct 2019, 11:56 AM

did soviet have any command tanks IRL?
9 Oct 2019, 12:06 PM

Is company of heroes 2 balanced on real life? It is a game. Treat it like a game.
9 Oct 2019, 12:08 PM

Every army had them, because that's how... you know.... command tanks.
They were tad behind in the early war, using flags instead of radios, but there were most definitely command tanks.
9 Oct 2019, 12:10 PM

There are no specialized ones; regular tanks were used as commander tanks. T-70 and T-80 were used as a commander in the SU-76 unit, because they had the same spare parts. Valentines who were already living so weak since the middle of the war were used as commanders. But Pz.3 was considered the best commander’s tank, because of its comfort (like the Allies, the old M3 Li was used as commander’s because it is huge and comfortable in it)
9 Oct 2019, 12:12 PM

Ok there's goes my thread. Classic thread hijacking abilities shown by one of the guys above.
9 Oct 2019, 12:12 PM

I think the KV8 is fine as is. Only thing I’d change is bundle up Scorched Earth and Radio Disruption, then I’d change the 7man upgrade so that the 7th man is a commissar so that the Conscript squad gets some slight benefit from it. I think it would be a good flavour addition while providing a tiny buff to the commander.
9 Oct 2019, 12:13 PM

Ok there's goes my thread. Classic thread hijacking abilities shown by one of the guys above.

Don't worry, majority would answer "no" as its not really needed for anything.
9 Oct 2019, 12:15 PM

I think the KV8 is fine as is. Only thing I’d change is bundle up Scorched Earth and Radio Disruption, then I’d change the 7man upgrade so that the 7th man is a commissar so that the Conscript squad gets some slight benefit from it. I think it would be a good flavour addition while providing a tiny buff to the commander.

7 man con is already different from the rest.
I'm talking about a command tank. It would look so cool that soviets finally have something of this sort. I'm not arguing about kv8 performance. Perhaps a fuel investment to make kv8 a command tank in this commander?
9 Oct 2019, 12:16 PM

Don't worry, majority would answer "no" as its not really needed for anything.

A little flavor is never bad. Keeps the game from getting stale.
9 Oct 2019, 12:30 PM

The KV-2 is a Command Tank in that it has the Inspire buff.
9 Oct 2019, 12:31 PM

7 man con is already different from the rest.
I'm talking about a command tank. It would look so cool that soviets finally have something of this sort. I'm not arguing about kv8 performance. Perhaps a fuel investment to make kv8 a command tank in this commander?

7 man cons are a stock upgrade. Replacing the 7th man with some kind of political officer would be a wonderful thematic adjustment.
9 Oct 2019, 21:10 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Oct 2019, 12:30 PMLago
The KV-2 is a Command Tank in that it has the Inspire buff.

Iirc i think it's a timed ability. Not a passive ability. Also kv2 is not in NKVD
9 Oct 2019, 22:23 PM

7 man cons are a stock upgrade. Replacing the 7th man with some kind of political officer would be a wonderful thematic adjustment.

That would be too Hollywood-esque. Near the end of the war Political Officers were more for morale than leadership.
9 Oct 2019, 22:29 PM

That would be too Hollywood-esque. Near the end of the war Political Officers were more for morale than leadership.

They weren't, considering the fact that commissariat was pretty much shut down mid war.
Turns out, you don't need dedicated political officers to spread propaganda within your own soldiers, something soviets learned from allies.
9 Oct 2019, 22:44 PM

They weren't, considering the fact that commissariat was pretty much shut down mid war.
Turns out, you don't need dedicated political officers to spread propaganda within your own soldiers, something soviets learned from allies.

The actual problem was not propaganda, the actual problem was commissars having to give permissions to commanding officers in terms of whether their orders were in agreement with party policy or not, which as you can imagine can be quite detrimental.

Well the entire commander is NKVD themed, so I thought this would be quite thematic in terms of “what if a division had integrated NKVD detachments”.
9 Oct 2019, 22:47 PM

Most Soviet tank crews would be lucky if they had a single radio set, even if it wasn't in working order.

As far as gameplay goes tho, yeah I guess if there was some toggle ability like on the "Command" Tiger where it disabled the guns but had a command aura, I can definitely see it working. I'd honestly rework the rest of the command vehicles as well instead of just having these command auras that are blob magnets on treads but oh well.
9 Oct 2019, 23:25 PM

Well the entire commander is NKVD themed, so I thought this would be quite thematic in terms of “what if a division had integrated NKVD detachments”.

They wouldn't be lead by Political Officers then, they would be comprised of NKVD Troops and lead by NKVD Officers; usually used defensively behind Red Army units.

Most Soviet tank crews would be lucky if they had a single radio set, even if it wasn't in working order.

That's a 1941 problem, not an entire-war problem. I assure you by late-1943 which the Soviet faction is based off, they had radios in every tank.
10 Oct 2019, 05:32 AM

As far as gameplay goes tho, yeah I guess if there was some toggle ability like on the "Command" Tiger where it disabled the guns but had a command aura, I can definitely see it working. I'd honestly rework the rest of the command vehicles as well instead of just having these command auras that are blob magnets on treads but oh well.

I am so also getting agitated by one command panther along with a fleet of regular panthers of 2 teammates roaming around wreaking havoc strat.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★