Login

russian armor

What are the problems of Soviets in 1v1?

6 Oct 2019, 00:10 AM

As for the problems of Soviet, I always feel thin on Manpower. Very strange for a group that infamously had a seemingly endless pool of manpower. As Germans, especially OKW, manpower seems plentiful. As Soviets though...

Honestly yeah. Soviets need a lot of manpower to make their stragies work. Their weapon teams bleed more, their infantry bleed more (cause of lower RA and higher bunch up) and they don't get free squads with tech.

7th man upgrade is a godsend for cost efficentcy but ultimately not worth 25fuel.
6 Oct 2019, 14:10 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Oct 2019, 18:42 PMMaret

This mortar not design to kill fullhealth squads, it design to bleed them and make them retreat. One shot and the whole squad turned to wounded, almost died mens. IF you want, you can make 2 120 mm mortars - after that you will see how tough it can be. I saw sometimes this strat, in small maps it could be effective.

also they are the best bet for soviet to counter emplacement and bunker spam the range and dmg just reck those in minute
6 Oct 2019, 14:46 PM

As for the problems of Soviet, I always feel thin on Manpower. Very strange for a country that infamously had a seemingly endless pool of manpower. As Germans, especially OKW, manpower feels plentiful unless I'm taking crazy losses. As Soviets though, taking crazy losses seems to be the norm, you almost cannot get a Conscript into position without them becoming a 5 man squad.

Yeah, before vet1, their rec acc really gives them a hard time.
6 Oct 2019, 14:55 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Oct 2019, 17:47 PMVipper

That is misleading, all mortar have the same damage and 120mm has a larger AOE, the AOE is not "little bit larger". It x150%.

Use the 120 mm vs static targets like OKW trucks and you will see how good it is.

No, its really not. Assuming that your 150% is true, it still doesn't mean more damage to the static truck, it just means that near misses are more likely to damage it. It won't offset the difference in firing rate. Add in the fact that the standard mortar has flare at Vet 0 and it's a much better mortar.

The only advantage to the 120 is that it can barrage from 100(?) instead of 80. Sometimes this is helpful against trucks. Even then, it's easily countered by the much better and cheaper LEIG.
6 Oct 2019, 15:14 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post5 Oct 2019, 18:42 PMMaret

This mortar not design to kill fullhealth squads, it design to bleed them and make them retreat. One shot and the whole squad turned to wounded, almost died mens. IF you want, you can make 2 120 mm mortars - after that you will see how tough it can be. I saw sometimes this strat, in small maps it could be effective.

Getting two 120's seems like a good way to lose quickly. They're soft countered by the LEIG which has the same range, seems to fire faster (disclaimer: I haven't checked actual game stats), COSTS LESS, lower pop cap, and actually hits what it targets.

I had a USF and Soviet try weapon team spam against me on Eindhoven last week and racked up 90 kills with two LEIGS.

In that same match, the Soviet had tried Maxim spam at first. The small arc and standard (slow) setup time of the Maxim make it easy to flank even when they have multiple MG's on a small map. Even when the player does get it down in time to shoot, you can often finish moving through the arc and not get suppressed. I haven't played 1v1's in the current match, but think that the Maxim underperforming is part of the problem.

edit:soft counter, not hard counter as others pointed out
6 Oct 2019, 15:56 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Oct 2019, 15:14 PMGrumpy

Getting two 120's seems like a good way to lose quickly. They're hardcountered by the LEIG which has the same range, seems to fire faster (disclaimer: I haven't checked actual game stats), COSTS LESS, lower pop cap, and actually hits what it targets.

I had a USF and Soviet try weapon team spam against me on Eindhoven last week and racked up 90 kills with two LEIGS.

In that same match, the Soviet had tried Maxim spam at first. The small arc and standard (slow) setup time of the Maxim make it easy to flank even when they have multiple MG's on a small map. Even when the player does get it down in time to shoot, you can often finish moving through the arc and not get suppressed. I haven't played 1v1's in the current match, but think that the Maxim underperforming is part of the problem.

You did not just say that a Leig hardcounters the HM38. You did not just say that.
6 Oct 2019, 16:01 PM

You did not just say that a Leig hardcounters the HM38. You did not just say that.

The Leig doesn't hard counter the Soviet 120mm but it's still better than the 120 because it's so much more reliable and more universally useable.
6 Oct 2019, 16:03 PM

Oops, yes, LEIG does not hardcounter HM38. It soft counters okay enough. Leigs relatively quickly decrew the standard mortar.
6 Oct 2019, 16:04 PM

The Leig doesn't hard counter the Soviet 120mm but it's still better than the 120 because it's so much more reliable and more universally useable.

There’s a vast vast vast difference between saying “the leig can be effective in fighting the HM38” and “the leig hardcounters the HM38”

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Oct 2019, 16:03 PMGrumpy

Oops, yes, LEIG does not hardcounter HM38. It soft counters okay enough. Leigs relatively quickly decrew the standard mortar.

Sorry about that, my nerves have been on edge with all the garbage I’ve read recently.
6 Oct 2019, 16:14 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Oct 2019, 14:55 PMGrumpy

No, its really not. Assuming that your 150% is true, it still doesn't mean more damage to the static truck, it just means that near misses are more likely to damage it. It won't offset the difference in firing rate. Add in the fact that the standard mortar has flare at Vet 0 and it's a much better mortar.

Instead of theory crafting test in game you will see that 120mm if far superior to MP-41 vs Static building and trucks.

Instead of assuming check the stat yourself...

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Oct 2019, 14:55 PMGrumpy

The only advantage to the 120 is that it can barrage from 100(?) instead of 80. Sometimes this is helpful against trucks. Even then, it's easily countered by the much better and cheaper LEIG.

Both fire and autofire have a range 100.
The Leig is a very poor counter to the 120mm especially if the mortar is placed behind a shot blocker.
6 Oct 2019, 16:15 PM

There’s a vast vast vast difference between saying “the leig can be effective in fighting the HM38” and “the leig hardcounters the HM38”

Sorry about that, my nerves have been on edge with all the garbage I’ve read recently.

No worries, didn't intentionally add to the garbage. I wasn't careful with what I was writing because I was annoyed reading about how the 120 is okay or even better than the standard mortar. It's similar to saying that the B4 is better than the ML20. If I wanted to play the lottery, I'd waste 45 minutes of my time to run to a store and buy a ticket rather than wasting 45 minutes trying a substandard COH2 unit.
6 Oct 2019, 16:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Oct 2019, 16:14 PMVipper

Instead of theory crafting test in game you will see that 120mm if far superior to MP-41 vs Static building and trucks.

The Leig is a very poor counter to the 120mm especially if the mortar us placed behind shot blockers.

I have probably 40 games as OKW this patch. I've seen 120's in two or three of them, and not lost anything to them. Most of the time I just hear the telltale sound of the woosh, followed by the thought that some idiot just bought a 120.

I decided to be that idiot four times this patch. In 3 of the 4 games, it did next to nothing and had a hard time vetting so that it could get flares. In the other game, the other team obligingly decided to garrison while under mortar fire so I got an okay amount of retreats/kills/etc. In none of the games was it good enough to take down a conservatively placed truck. Either of them are okay at taking down aggressive trucks, but it never justifies the extra cost, particularly when it comes at a time when manpower is at a premium.
6 Oct 2019, 16:40 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Oct 2019, 16:28 PMGrumpy

I have probably 40 games as OKW this patch. I've seen 120's in two or three of them, and not lost anything to them. Most of the time I just hear the telltale sound of the woosh, followed by the thought that some idiot just bought a 120.

I decided to be that idiot four times this patch. In 3 of the 4 games, it did next to nothing and had a hard time vetting so that it could get flares. In the other game, the other team obligingly decided to garrison while under mortar fire so I got an okay amount of retreats/kills/etc. In none of the games was it good enough to take down a conservatively placed truck. Either of them are okay at taking down aggressive trucks, but it never justifies the extra cost, particularly when it comes at a time when manpower is at a premium.

The 120mm comes without T2 so it not actually competing with the PM-41.
Th 120mm can take out a truck from 100 range PM-41 can not do that.

The majority of mortars does average including the 120mm.

6 Oct 2019, 18:09 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post6 Oct 2019, 16:14 PMVipper

The Leig is a very poor counter to the 120mm especially if the mortar is placed behind a shot blocker.

Did the test. While you lose on RoF, the increased AoE means that the avg dmg done on misses equalises with the RoF of the normal mortar.
Then it's a matter of whether you can use the extended 20 range or not. Whether you want a reliable mortar or an unreliable hard hitter.

As like 2 years ago after nerfs, if you have T2, just get a normal mortar. If you don't, get the 120mm. If you are not playing 1v1 and have absolute domination over your opponent manpower wise, 2x 120mm might be worth.
6 Oct 2019, 20:45 PM

Did the test. While you lose on RoF, the increased AoE means that the avg dmg done on misses equalises with the RoF of the normal mortar.
Then it's a matter of whether you can use the extended 20 range or not. Whether you want a reliable mortar or an unreliable hard hitter.

As like 2 years ago after nerfs, if you have T2, just get a normal mortar. If you don't, get the 120mm. If you are not playing 1v1 and have absolute domination over your opponent manpower wise, 2x 120mm might be worth.

Thanks for doing the tests. The 120 is also more pop cap (6vs10?), which also means more upkeep, so it always seems better to just build T2 if I need a mortar. I probably wouldn't mind the 120 as much if it was 270/7 like the LEIG. Even then, it seems too inconsistent.
6 Oct 2019, 21:42 PM

I always thought the 120mm was vastly superior than the 82mm. Good to know.

Is there anything that Soviets can do that's superior to Okw now? It seems like all of their options are subpar.
8 Oct 2019, 04:03 AM

I had an opponent go 2x 120's. Replay attached.
My opinion of them didn't change much:
The combined cost is roughly equivalent to a howitzer.
The pop cap of 20 decreases income enough (30/min) that player never seemed to have enough manpower to build armor.
One of them got to Vet 3 with 35 kills. For comparison, I had a couple Panzerfusilier squads with more kills and certainly more caps. It wasn't as worthless as I thought, but ultimately the 5-6 squads that they cost (upkeep plus purchase) would've been much more likely to win them the game.

Early in the game while I was worried about the 120's, I got two Leigs. I didn't have any problems keeping the 120's at bay. After awhile, they started hitting my Leigs with Calliopes and a Katy. I probably could've kept them alive but they often had no infantry to shoot and and were about as worthless as the 120's given the scarcity of weapon teams and infantry as targets.

8 Oct 2019, 07:00 AM

120MM popcap is 10? Jesus. That's a little bit insane.
8 Oct 2019, 09:14 AM

In fact, 120mm is just bigger version of regular mortar. It need different abilities. Not flare.
Like:
1. Timing Shells like USF mortar halftruck have.
2. Fire shells, like OKW firesturm have for leig.
3. Smoke shells

I think design where "bigger unit = stronger and slower version of smaller unit" - just stupid and lazy decision in game design. Units always must have different abilities. 120mm is doctrinal and should give to player different game experience.
8 Oct 2019, 10:11 AM

Wait penals scale bad all of a sudden? I rely on those bad asses most matches right up until the end!
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★