Login

russian armor

Should Light Gammon bombs/bundles level wooden buildings?

Should Light Gammon Bombs/bundle grenades + walking stuka level wooden buildings now that grenades start on CD?
Option Distribution Votes
50%
50%
0%
Total votes: 24
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
4 Sep 2019, 16:00 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

Should Light Gammon bombs/bundle grenades + walking stuka level wooden buildings now that grenades start on CD?

I liked the days when you could remove a problematic structure by easy means. Garrisons (especially stone garrisons) have always been a thorn in the side on certain maps (anhem checkpoint church I'm looking at you). Only certain flame weapons and abilites can set buildings on fire permanently and flamethrowers are not a good source of this.

Alternativly, we could make the damage of the grenades and stukas deal most of the structure damage so it takes 2 grenades/barrages to destroy the structure.

EDIT: Please note this change would more effect OKW + UKF because they lack the flamethrowers to clear garrisons regardless nondoc. OKWs walking stuka self explanitory, but USF still gets the shaft overall due to not having larger grenades and instead receives "cooked" grenades.

While OST would benefit from the bundle grenade, and soviets do not have a problem in this department regardless.

EDIT 2:Most noteably though, this will make commando cloak + LGB more lethal as it previously was. Probably too lethal, but suggestions to fix are always welcome.
4 Sep 2019, 17:03 PM

Voted yes, but i wanted to ask sincerely.
Do flamethrowers in MP burn buildings down like in the campaign? Is there a way to implement this for wooden buildings only? I think thats the cheapes way to demolish pesky garrisons, scorched earth style...
4 Sep 2019, 17:04 PM

Do flamethrowers in MP burn buildings down like in the campaign? Is there a way to implement this for wooden buildings only? I think thats the cheapes way to demolish pesky garrisons, scorched earth style...

I believe this was turned down because buildings would burst up in flames very easily in the beginning of the game. I remember that at least. Now it takes quite some time.
4 Sep 2019, 17:05 PM

By quite some time he means 3+ minutes
4 Sep 2019, 17:25 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

If the structure's durability is the problem, why not just lower it's health?

The change would be a huge nerf to partisans and other infiltration units that could spawn in from buildings.
The StuKas damage vs buildings was lowered quite some time ago by 50%, and I think it was a good change. Otherwise one StuKa would completely shut down any garrison play to the point where it will be safer to stand in the open field than going into a building.

My gut feeling tells me that also the also the grenades might be a bit too much, they're pretty much balanced at the moment, allowing them to easily destroy buildings would probably also mean increasing their cost, which would make them worse against infantry on open field.

If a building is annoying, there's always the option to wire the entrance (although it's a bit buggy), which - at least for important buildings - could allow for wire cutter upgrade on the engineers.

Also it might be possible that anti garrison abilities with high wipe potential would mean that the buildings themselves must be buffed for example by removing sight blockers. At the moment many important buildings have one wall sight blocked to allow enemy squads to approach from that direction. If they could throw a grenade and easily kill the building (with your squad inside), the approach for the enemy should be made more difficult.
4 Sep 2019, 19:11 PM

I'm fully against the idea. Ambient buildings cannot be repaired so nerfing their durability will remove a strategic and fun aspect to the game. Not to mention Urban Maps will be deeply unpopular, especially in large team games where Artillery is King, as a result. They should remain a strong shelter. Wooden or not.

At most, they should blow a hole into the side of the building.
4 Sep 2019, 20:21 PM

Disclaimer: I tested this about a year ago. It could have changed in one of the patches since then.

The large brick buildings take 2-3 minutes to start on fire with a single flamer engineer. IIIRC, the time is a little lower for the OST flamer HT. I didn't test the Wasp. It can be done but how often can you spare your engineer for that length of time.

The fastest way to take out any building is the simplest: a Sturmtiger. It one-shots just about any building, maybe any building (haven't tried it on the big station in Ettlebruck).

Buildings seem to have about the right amount of health now. I wouldn't support a change beyond making demo charge-type abilities destroy them.
4 Sep 2019, 20:23 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

Initially flamers and the flamerHT from OST were really strong, so to compensate the durability of the garrisons went up by like 4x for permanent burn. Then eventually the flamethrower and FHT were all toned down, but that 4x durability vs flames was never lowered. So it takes like 3+ minutes for a single flamer to now permanently set afire a structure.
6 Sep 2019, 06:35 AM

I’d suggest somehow making all grenades decrease the cover bonus of a building for a short while after being thrown. That way eif you dodge a grenade in a building the best decision isn’t to instantly hop back in
6 Sep 2019, 06:55 AM

I’d suggest somehow making all grenades decrease the cover bonus of a building for a short while after being thrown. That way eif you dodge a grenade in a building the best decision isn’t to instantly hop back in

So you basically want to punish players for good micro?
6 Sep 2019, 11:14 AM

As a rule, grenades should do very little damage to structures. Demolition charges should be required.

As for the Walking Stuka, the question is really one of realism vs playability. IRL, only a reinforced concrete structure could withstand a hit from a 50 kg warhead. Everything else goes down.
6 Sep 2019, 12:01 PM

Imo it is micro, but the whole “i can leave a building instanstly“ in combination with the strong bonuses garrison offers (no point blank..) is flawed.
6 Sep 2019, 12:33 PM

Imo it is micro, but the whole “i can leave a building instanstly“ in combination with the strong bonuses garrison offers (no point blank..) is flawed.

That's why good players don't throw nades at building, but at exit entrance if possible.

Ost have it the easiest with rifle nades range.

You want to counter garrisons, you bring actual anti garrison counter, not general purpose ability.
6 Sep 2019, 13:09 PM

That is why I have suggested 2 type of grenades:
Offensive one, and defensive one

Offensive one would less damage but have bonus modifiers vs heavy cover and garrison. In addition they would to a small stun 1-2 secs in large area to prevent unit from hoping back in buildings.

The defensive would work current ones.
6 Sep 2019, 15:11 PM

You would still dodge the grenade damage, and I was thinking that grenades could add a minimum distance to the house’s green cover for like 5 seconds.
6 Sep 2019, 16:25 PM

That's why good players don't throw nades at building, but at exit entrance if possible.

Ost have it the easiest with rifle nades range.

You want to counter garrisons, you bring actual anti garrison counter, not general purpose ability.

Well said :thumbsup:
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS