Login

russian armor

Target Waek Point: Streamline or Rename

10 Jul 2019, 17:21 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Since this topic has popped up multiple times across different threads in zhe last weeks/months, and players mostly agreed:
Would it be possible for the balance team to either streamline or at least rename all the different versions of TWP?
Right now, there are so many versions with the same name, some very useful (like the stun shot of the PaK I belive) some less useful (StuGs turret lock). Therr are so many that it indeed hurts the ability since you need to memorize all the different TWPs and then recall under stress if the unit you have has the TWP that you need right now. I barely see people use the ability, and I assume that's because nobody knows what it does anymore. Hell, I play CoH regularly and don't have much of an idea. Now if players that play less often don't even know that there are so many versions, they might just think that the abilty is super unreliable.
Something ahould be done to this actually great ability. Renaming would cost less time and enable to differentiate between the abilities. Streamlining them would be more difficult because it requires more rebalancing.
I suggest renaming the abilities, and, if the need arises, rebalancing them to and maybe reduce the number of abilities that do similar things later on.

EDIT: I got a typo in the thread topic. How can I correct it? Edit does not allow it
10 Jul 2019, 17:27 PM

Actually not so many unit need access to it.

The ability should definitely be replaced from Stug -E.

It could also be replaced Puma or even the Elefant.
10 Jul 2019, 17:47 PM

I think simply name changes are necessary. The multiple different effects depending on the unit but same name makes the game very complex for newer players
10 Jul 2019, 18:11 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jul 2019, 17:27 PMVipper
Actually not so many unit need access to it.

The ability should definitely be replaced from Stug -E.

It could also be replaced Puma or even the Elefant.

We surely can discuss about this, but at the moment I don't think that any version of TWP is overperforming, so for start a simple name change would be nice.

Suggestions:
- turret lock = target turret ring
- blind = target vision slits (would explain that the driver can't drive due to panic and missing orders from the tank commander and gunner can't see the targets)
- stun = target weak point (there's no real logic for that ability though other than the crew panicking)
(what other versions are there? can't remember)

Changing/removing abilities might cause other issues with the unit that uses the ability and could be a project for the long run.
And to get to your points: What do you want to replace it with? Or do you mean remove?
I do like a TWP ability on the Puma (funnily enough I can't recall if the Puma has a stun, blind or something different). It enables the Puma to be useful as a support unit even after the medium tank phase has begun, just like the Stuart.
StuG could do with a blind in my eyes (not sure what it has at the moment), since the PaK already has the stun. Elefant's TWP could also be removed in my eyes.
10 Jul 2019, 18:59 PM

I agree, same thing with 'hit the dirt'.
10 Jul 2019, 19:36 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

I think simply name changes are necessary. The multiple different effects depending on the unit but same name makes the game very complex for newer players

Yeah, just changing the StuG and Puma versions to "Target Gunners" would get the job done to highlight the important difference (stops only vehicles' ability to damage, not move).
10 Jul 2019, 19:52 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jul 2019, 19:36 PMVuther

Yeah, just changing the StuG and Puma versions to "Target Gunners" would get the job done to highlight the important difference (stops only vehicles' ability to damage, not move).

Puma should probably be replaced with the okw puma's "aimed shot" instead imo.
But +1 for the StuG name change
10 Jul 2019, 22:04 PM

I am talking about Stug -e that has little reason to have TWP. There are many other abilities that is could use.
10 Jul 2019, 22:37 PM

And then there is the british sniper which...

...does motor damage to light vehicles,
...turret locks tanks,
...stuns assault guns.

How do we name that? Maybe: "Does random AT bullshit instead of behaving like a sniper"? XD

Ah forget about it, it is useless nevertheless (would be good early on versus light vehicles but you need Vet1... so lets just forget about it).
11 Jul 2019, 06:53 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Jul 2019, 22:04 PMVipper
I am talking about Stug -e that has little reason to have TWP. There are many other abilities that is could use.

Yeah, like what? Bunker-buster barrage? TWP for stug-E is literally the only way to keep it relevant after 12-min mark, when real tanks arrive and you already spent all or most of your fuel on this mini-brummbar.
11 Jul 2019, 07:53 AM

Yeah, like what? Bunker-buster barrage? TWP for stug-E is literally the only way to keep it relevant after 12-min mark, when real tanks arrive and you already spent all or most of your fuel on this mini-brummbar.

Dedicated AI vehiicles are always worth it. What, should a Centaur get TWP because it can't fight tanks?

Support it with dedicated AT

Back on topic, they really need seperate names and acccurate descriptions as a minimum, yes.
11 Jul 2019, 08:31 AM

Dedicated AI vehiicles are always worth it. What, should a Centaur get TWP because it can't fight tanks?

Support it with dedicated AT

Back on topic, they really need seperate names and acccurate descriptions as a minimum, yes.

except that the stug e is hardly ever worth it, since it rarely deals meaningful damage per shot
11 Jul 2019, 08:54 AM

Support it with dedicated AT.

Hold on, StuG-E discussion is relevant to topic.
AFAIK, StuG-E call-in is located in two german commanders only - mechanazied assault with sturmgrens for more MP bleed in early game and no special AT-units; and community-defense with prosstruppen and PaK43.

Both of those doctrines apply rather heavy MP bleed due to early infantry call-ins(at least with my playstile, rank 600 pleb itt), so you won't be able to bring pgrens in time to counter mediums. LV do not pose any threat to our StuGe, exept maybe AEC, but yoy still can fend him off with fausts and StuG itself does pack quite the punch.

But it is absolutely different game when StuGe is trying to fight mediums, like cromwell. StuG itself is very light-armored (140 vs 135/120/105; cromwell will penetrate frontal armor at all distances exept very far), and fausts do not cause crits on first hit vs mediums. So, StuGe needs his TWP ability to fend off and run away. And it is not a skillshot, it is normal shot with upgrades, which meand it can miss and you able to make only one per use.

Of course you can always go for t2 for PaK40, but now it is even more slowing down your tech-up process, cause pgrens are in t1, and you spending 200mp/20fuel just to get your AT unit(yes, i'm probably only one person who didn't like that change).

So, my proposition is - standartize TWP ability among all tanks with StuG - G variant (lock turret ring), all AT units (block of movement), and doctrinal units stays as it is now, cause they are doctrinal, but with change of names, so it will represent actual effect on target. Like "load HEAT round" or "aim for treads" or "turret bash" - i'm not so good at giving names.
11 Jul 2019, 10:00 AM

The movement block should never return imo. That part made it op.

Slowing movement and stunning the turret is fine. This way the target has a chance to escape even with follow up at.
Before that was not possible.
11 Jul 2019, 10:50 AM

TWP for Stug -E is not that great and it not needed. It does 40 damage, disabling gun and vision for 5 sec.

It the Stug -E needs some AT capability is could simply have a direct fire mode firing AT rounds.
11 Jul 2019, 21:00 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 Jul 2019, 10:50 AMVipper
TWP for Stug -E is not that great and it not needed. It does 40 damage, disabling gun and vision for 5 sec.

It the Stug -E needs some AT capability is could simply have a direct fire mode firing AT rounds.

stugiE TWP at 30 muni would be fine. At 45 muni it's lol.

But then we would be making TWP even more inconsistent.
12 Jul 2019, 07:25 AM

Wasn't there a suggestion to remove the Stug E's TWP and instead give it a free pintle mounted mg as a veterancy reward?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★