Login

russian armor

Relic needs to enable back model editing and importing.

10 May 2019, 12:20 PM

The last patch has showed why this needs to come back.

The "5 year plan" is long gone and this game is over 6 years old now so I think that it's high time Relic went back and fixed their mistake of disabling model editing and importing.

Here's some examples of what was possible before:

20mm Puma and Wilberwind -

CoH King Tiger -

Jagdpanther -

CoH Hetzer -

Here's 2 bonus videos of model editing in the vanilla game as well:

Troops "riding" on tanks -

"Towing" -

Credits to eliw00d and all of the others who made this possible such a long time ago.

Many games are still alive today and are even largely played because of mods, I don't think that CoH2 is any exception to this. Enabling back model editing and importing would allow modders to not try to do voodoo magic and coming up with bizzare ways of workarounds to make something that they want.

I also strongly believe that it would only serve for the game to sell more copies when people can add anything they want to do the game or even remake it into something entirely new, like for example the Star Wars mod for the original CoH.

While I understand why Relic would do this such a long time ago it doesn't make sense anymore as most of the DLC for the game can be bought with in-game currency anyhow. This now would only serve to boost sales of the game if anything else really.

I know that this comes off as a rant but I'm seriously angered by the fact that modders are so artificially limited right now and for no good reason either. If Iron Harvest or any other CoH-like game in this generation comes with modding tools giving modders the capabilities of transforming the game into anything else they will easily overshadow CoH2 at least in that aspect so this would also be a strategic move on Relic's part as well.
10 May 2019, 12:54 PM

I completely agree, and we need new modding tools, the Soviet Airborne commander looks very cheap and this is pulling out the existing content to where it cannot be pulled. But I do not think that we will get it, Relic did not give us the tools from the very beginning, and will hardly give us the sunset of the game’s life.
10 May 2019, 13:26 PM

also the argument "people wouldnt buy any dlc if they could mod all things" is completely neglectable as we already have mods that let you play with units that are usually tied to commanders.
10 May 2019, 13:40 PM

If they allow modders to do everything nobody will buy the new COH3. How else are they going to sell you an unfinished game?
10 May 2019, 13:43 PM

If they allow modders to do everything nobody will buy the new COH3. How else are they going to sell you an unfinished game?

People still bought CoH2 even with CoH's mods so what's the problem here?
10 May 2019, 13:46 PM
Senior Modmaker Badge

I actually doubt that it is related to money since it was available at launch. Maybe they discovered a breaking issue? Like downloading a 500+ mb mod automatically from the lobby? (which would be an even a bigger issue than all those skins). The whole workshop implementation might be required to change. Just speculating ^_^

But yes, it would much appreciated if it is possible!
10 May 2019, 13:57 PM

By that logic, Paradox would be long dead company.
10 May 2019, 14:12 PM

The same could be said about CoH 1.
11 May 2019, 00:45 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 May 2019, 14:12 PMLago

The same could be said about CoH 1.

Did COH1 editor allowed you to do anything your heart desired??
I'm not saying nobody will buy it , i'm saying that a lot of people will stick with COH2 for a great while until COH3 would be play worthy.
For example when BF5 came out the price was like 100dollars. I was still playing BF4 (which was better than the new released unfinished BF5) until the price went down and bought it half price. If BF4 would be crap I would of payed full price just to get the new game.
11 May 2019, 04:39 AM

Did COH1 editor allowed you to do anything your heart desired??
I'm not saying nobody will buy it , i'm saying that a lot of people will stick with COH2 for a great while until COH3 would be play worthy.
For example when BF5 came out the price was like 100dollars. I was still playing BF4 (which was better than the new released unfinished BF5) until the price went down and bought it half price. If BF4 would be crap I would of payed full price just to get the new game.

First off, CoH had no editor, it was a community mod tool called Corsix's mod studio and yes, it pretty much allowed you to do anything you wanted. The only limitations were set by the game engine hard coded stuff and not artificially limited by Relic.

2nd, your example makes no sense because Battlefield modding has been pretty much non-existent for a long time now thanks to EA. If a game was doomed from the start and is pretty crappy I'm not even sure modding can save it as DoW3 proves.

I have lots of friends who still play CoH because it has a more "hardcore" and I would also say better and more realistic feeling compared to CoH2. Modding helps that but it's not the main reason, I myself keep going back to the game even when I've been playing it since 2006.

So overall no, I don't think that if CoH2's modding is extended it would hurt CoH3. If the game is good that shouldn't be a problem at all, if it's not it will probably suffer the same fate as DoW3 has.
11 May 2019, 05:09 AM

I have no doubt it's a good idea but it's all potential.
In practice all it resulted in is importing old vcoh assets over the new game only a few talented and serious people are commited to mod, in any game where it is possible, given on how low the playerbase is for coh 2 in comparison, I wouldn't see much good stuff out of it.

Take a look at the current workshop for an idea: MLP skins, Anime paints, vcoh recycling.

If they could do it now, which I don't think they can, would they just enable it so that the game can get spammed with vcoh imports and anime mods like they are already swarming the workshop?
11 May 2019, 05:21 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 May 2019, 05:09 AMCresc
I have no doubt it's a good idea but it's all potential.
In practice all it resulted in is importing old vcoh assets over the new game only a few talented and serious people are commited to mod, in any game where it is possible, given on how low the playerbase is for coh 2 in comparison, I wouldn't see much good stuff out of it.

Take a look at the current workshop for an idea: MLP skins, Anime paints, vcoh recycling.

If they could do it now, which I don't think they can, would they just enable it so that the game can get spammed with vcoh imports and anime mods like they are already swarming the workshop?

Such things as you described plague all workshops not just CoH2's one so yes, I do believe that even if just a few mods like Spearhead, Wikinger, Realism mod and so on benefit from it it would still be worth it.

Not to mention that people have been literally begging for Infantry skins from the start of the game as well.
11 May 2019, 08:57 AM

I don't see how allowing model editing could hurt at this point.
11 May 2019, 09:10 AM

I like the "Cross country in the snow" video on comment #1 where they can mobilise Pak gun with Halftrack. That is a great feature!.

Put Pak crew and 1 only. Move into the battlefield. Halftrack drags the Pak. Seems rather supportive and diverse. Maybe should add in the next COH3. Hopefully if they can do with this game would be most certainly interesting too.
11 May 2019, 10:28 AM

the infantry skins would at very least give us a massive improvement when it comes to modding. even if we cant make custom vehicle models, the ability to create diffirent infantry models could make many mods even more immersive.
11 May 2019, 10:53 AM

We can post as many comments as we want but it wont help unfortunately.

Thats why i suggest the following idea:

Lets write together an "open letter" to Relic in which we lay down our arguments in an reasonable way. Its still not very likely that anything will change after that but its still the best way to achieve something.
With the successful implementation of community made commanders on the horizon the community has good arguments on our side.
11 May 2019, 11:14 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post11 May 2019, 10:53 AMSmartie

We can post as many comments as we want but it wont help unfortunately.

Thats why i suggest the following idea:

Lets write together an "open letter" to Relic in which we lay down our arguments in an reasonable way. Its still not very likely that anything will change after that but its still the best way to achieve something.
With the successful implementation of community made commanders on the horizon the community has good arguments on our side.

Talking, writing and so on has proven futile, the only thing SEGA and Relic would wake up from is some sort of CoH-like game like Iron Harvest having modding tools and everything else that the community has begged them for years, thus putting CoH in their shadow and teaching them a lesson. Sadly it would also probably mean the end to CoH as a franchise only because money matters more than what the community wishes for, as is the case with DoW3 as well.
11 May 2019, 11:27 AM
Master Modmaker Badge

Full modding tools would be the best thing that would happen to CoH2. That said full modding tools won't be released any time soon. Relic doesn't have the resources or the time to implement the tools. Even thou we had access to full tool a few years back doesn't mean it's just an easy update to add back full tools. If I would have to guess it would be made like for CoH1. Each mod would have its own launcher this would eliminate the lobby downloads as SneakEye said.

And sadly I think open latter is just a waste of time. Obviously, Relic made up their mind about the implementation of the tools. One can now only hope that they will release full tools after CoH3 has been released.
11 May 2019, 11:56 AM

is there hellcat?
11 May 2019, 12:11 PM

is there hellcat?

Only in CoH.

The only leftovers from CoH in CoH2 are some structures, like the 25 pounder's emplacement, medic station for the US Army, some animations and so on, but sadly no vehicles.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS