Login

russian armor

Maxims are useless in Team Games

8 Apr 2019, 13:55 PM

I remember the early days of CoH2 where players stupidly spammed Maxims because of the fast deployment time.

But now, the Maxims are just utterly useless in team games.

It can barely suppress anything whereas the Vickers, MG34 and 42 can almost always suppress in the first burst.

The crewmen health is so poor that I find maxims dying faster before they can even suppress or even retreat (because of the unique game logic for the crew to pick up the Maxim)

The Suppressing Ability is far far less useful than the Incendiary rounds. You also have to reload, which by that time the Maxim crew is being targeted by overwhelming firepower.

And oddly Maxims are now 260, apparently Relic thinks a Maxim = Vickers or MG42.

The only use of Maxims seems to be last desperate defense lines or being in buildings
8 Apr 2019, 13:57 PM

I remember the early days of CoH2 where players stupidly spammed Maxims because of the fast deployment time.

But now, the Maxims are just utterly useless in team games.

It can barely suppress anything whereas the Vickers, MG34 and 42 can almost always suppress in the first burst.

The crewmen health is so poor that I find maxims dying faster before they can even suppress or even retreat (because of the unique game logic for the crew to pick up the Maxim)

The Suppressing Ability is far far less useful than the Incendiary rounds. You also have to reload, which by that time the Maxim crew is being targeted by overwhelming firepower.

And oddly Maxims are now 260, apparently Relic thinks a Maxim = Vickers or MG42.

The only use of Maxims seems to be last desperate defense lines or being in buildings

The crew of the maxim has the same health and target size as other Mgs.
8 Apr 2019, 14:16 PM

Hmm, if u face OKW only, they can still have some effect, as they only face either soft-counters like Leig, or a late comin hardcounter, like Stuka.

But yeah, its no doubt the worst MG in the game. A suppression buff so that its halfway between the old OP level and the current one, would sure be deserved.

P.S. Vipper, this is a bit off-topic but dont you know whether USF weapon crews (50. cal and Pack howie) have bigger target size/ lower survival-ability, compared to their counter parts?
8 Apr 2019, 14:18 PM

Perfomance should be like a .50 cal, afterall it comes in T2!
(And only with consucks as support who are super duper bad)
8 Apr 2019, 14:31 PM

P.S. Vipper, this is a bit off-topic but dont you know whether USF weapon crews (50. cal and Pack howie) have bigger target size/ lower survival-ability, compared to their counter parts?

Check your stat they seem to be off.
8 Apr 2019, 14:54 PM

4v4 as Soviets is tough now. If you think you need MGs the maxim/conscripts combo is so meh that I always pray for a Brit team mate. And if your micro is not super good you need to go MGs because snipers or scout car can be hard to manage and its an all or nothing solution. Not to mention that you may need to go MGs so you can have AT gun support.

Personally I could see the maxim with just a touch more suppression. When maxim was king I easily had a good rank with SOV. Now its one of my worst ranks. Feels slow to setup, doesnt suppress, and goes into a death loop. So many times units just walk right thru the arc and are not suppressed. If the change from old to new is 100%, maybe add back 10% of the lost suppression???
8 Apr 2019, 15:19 PM

4v4 as Soviets is tough now. If you think you need MGs the maxim/conscripts combo is so meh that I always pray for a Brit team mate. And if your micro is not super good you need to go MGs because snipers or scout car can be hard to manage and its an all or nothing solution. Not to mention that you may need to go MGs so you can have AT gun support.

Personally I could see the maxim with just a touch more suppression. When maxim was king I easily had a good rank with SOV. Now its one of my worst ranks. Feels slow to setup, doesnt suppress, and goes into a death loop. So many times units just walk right thru the arc and are not suppressed. If the change from old to new is 100%, maybe add back 10% of the lost suppression???

That's why I always have the verterancy 10% increase bulletins on MG for 4 v 4 games.
8 Apr 2019, 15:32 PM

I would not mind at all buffing Maxim as long as they nerf the amount of models they can man the any team weapons.

Every other factions has on average limit to 4 models per team weapon. I would say buff maxim but they would definitely have to nerf the amount of models when equipping a team weapon.

6 models on maxim makes it the most durable MG there is but its output the supression is the downside. It does better damage than MG42 tough behind cover.

If it supresses better than it currently does. Imagine it as a mobile MG cuz of its set up time which makes it the fastest and better supression.

Currently the damage is the highlight of Maxim, 6 models, set up time. Its supression is lackluster for good reason. It would be nice for it to get buff but needs to follow up with certain nerfs.

So it would make sense to nerf the amount of models per team weapon equipped. Buff then the Maxim.

Here is a balance:

For any team weapon equipped, say MG42, which is limited to 4 models, SU will therefore have 4 models on MG42. Why should they be the only faction to have 150% survivability for team weapons. That is a huge advantage.

It is unbalanced currently. SU always has the upper hand when equipping others team weapons.

If all team weapons are balanced, buff the maxims suppression and mortars scatter

The amount of models it has now, it would be better to stay the way it currently is.

8 Apr 2019, 16:06 PM

The maxim has 6 models to offset the 2 it will lose in a death loop because the made the damn thing a wheelbarrow.

They already admitted they can't fix the death loop, so the 6 man crew is never going away.
8 Apr 2019, 17:07 PM

They're really not useless at all, They turn fast still, they suppress fast, they don't do a lot of damage but that's not their purpose. I always get at least 1 maxim because you need some form of suppression if you go T1 or you are going to get overwhelmed by OKW blobs. 6 models is a large advantage as well to slow down snipers.

They don't need to be as damaging as a vickers or powerful as an MG42 to be effective.

The death loop is an issue that could be fixed as others have said.
I pretty much only play team games and I always find a use for them.
8 Apr 2019, 21:35 PM

They can easily make it more expensive but good. No reason it needs to be the same price point as other MGs. A more expensive maxim would promote supporting it with conscripts, who one day I hope to be worth their price. The fact that you NEED 2 to be able to suppress anything as it is now already means it's "more expensive" but then you have the pop as well. At 160+260mp there's no damn reason for it to be so bad.
8 Apr 2019, 21:45 PM

They can easily make it more expensive but good.

They really can't, because DSHK. I'm completely unaware of state of DSHK, but given how no one ever uses it anymore, it probably isn't much better then maxim.
8 Apr 2019, 21:54 PM

They really can't, because DSHK. I'm completely unaware of state of DSHK, but given how no one ever uses it anymore, it probably isn't much better then maxim.

how about buffing both of them?
8 Apr 2019, 21:58 PM

Permanently Banned
Make the suppression better, and make them 5 man.
8 Apr 2019, 23:23 PM
Donator 11

Whats worse is it will forever suffer from the death loop.
8 Apr 2019, 23:50 PM

Same treatment. The DSHK isn't worth it anymore (although they did buff its pen so that's exciting) same thing though. Make it more expensive and better.
It needs the 6 men on account of deathloop unless we experiment with something like increased range to keep it a bit further from the fight and give it more time to suppress (god knows it needs it)

Edit: or you could try swapping the DSHK and maxim and bump them both up in price a bit. Then you have a good MG that will devour your map control if you try and over rely on it or you can doctrinally lean on cheaper but worse support. It would complement a penal build by having a cheap MG and also promote side teching if there was a half decent MG to be worth side teching to. Cons might be viable because they have support that supports.... Interesting thought if nothing else.
9 Apr 2019, 01:28 AM

just make it so that the other 5 men in the squad have conscript stats, that way it can support the MG and fight flankers, instead of having inferior stats that do absolutely nothing.

Can you imagine 5 dudes just watching and waiting for the dude on MG to die to replace him? dont make sense
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS