Login

russian armor

Time on target should be better for its price

10 Mar 2019, 03:16 AM

...but it's not meant to be used for area denial - at least not in it's current state. It has a current role (one thats fairly unique within usf), and it performs really well within that role. Fair enough if you think its role should be changed, but you haven't made that argument and haven't given reasons why this would be a good idea.

And sure, other USF offmap artillery options perform the role adequately (though I'd personally argue a little less than adequately). Time on target, though, performs this role really well.

You mean the 240mm offmap? An ability hit enemy by chance?

The effective area denial skills are OKW overwatch or OST railway. US and UKF heavy offmap artillery are just waste of ammo.
10 Mar 2019, 03:19 AM

replay pls

Used in fog of war hm?

Have you ever used this ability? You need vision to throw it.

Also, the OP is right, this ability are unpredictable. Sometime, the shell fell on strange positions.
10 Mar 2019, 03:22 AM

Not as easy to use as Stuka diving bomb, not as unique as SDB, not does its job like SDV while having similar price as SDB.

Don't be so angry on this guy. Just don't reply him.

Let us keep on the topic and ignore his pointless idea.

10 Mar 2019, 03:23 AM

A "buff" to those would also go against the ability's use case though. Its strength is against static targets - Flak HQs, ambient structures, bunkers. The small area of effect is an important part of that, the barrage duration is kind of a non factor (maybe you're asking for more shells?), and the time until the barrage starts is a balancing factor to make sure it can do high amounts of damage to a small area without being overpowered.

I get why spending 180 munitions for this kind of thing can feel like a bad trade, but it makes destroying forward flak HQs pretty easy - making it able to do so at an even lower cost could result in a balance issue. Overall, I think time on target is a much cooler concept than basically every other arty ability which all come down to "deny an area," and a lot of these qualities are important to its current use case.

Especially when you have priests. One or two priest barrages and a ToT barrage are usually enough to kill flak HQs lol. Really annoying for the okw player.
13 Mar 2019, 03:14 AM

Permanently Banned
Railway arty is just as garbage. Only first shell counts and has a very long delay with smoke and a loud warning sound. U can't miss it. If your units get hit by the 2nd or 3rd shell, delete the game immediately, your lack of skill is beyond saving.
13 Mar 2019, 03:55 AM

A longer barrage duration like the british concentrated fire operation, base howitzer barrage or major artillery that has shell drops spread over a long duration aiding its area denial.

I also agree that the primary use for the ability is destroying forward headquarters, but USF has tons of off map artillery options and they all perform this role adequately but are more flexible in their other usage.

Isn't the entire point of time on target suppose to be the shells landing in quick succession over a short period of time? Why not make it more lethal in a small area so its really good at destroying static positions while also keeping to the theme of Time on Target.
13 Mar 2019, 04:23 AM

Railway arty is just as garbage. Only first shell counts and has a very long delay with smoke and a loud warning sound. U can't miss it. If your units get hit by the 2nd or 3rd shell, delete the game immediately, your lack of skill is beyond saving.

2nd and 3rd shell are completely random so it's better than time on target as you need to vacate the area, trying to operate in the vicinity may well cost you... TOT doesn't have that threat.
13 Mar 2019, 06:39 AM

Permanently Banned

2nd and 3rd shell are completely random so it's better than time on target as you need to vacate the area, trying to operate in the vicinity may well cost you... TOT doesn't have that threat.

Ost players don't pay 200 munis for an overpriced, long delay, red smoke stuka bomb + area denial. It would be nice if railway worked like the cheaper pathfinder arty.
13 Mar 2019, 06:54 AM

Ost players don't pay 200 munis for an overpriced, long delay, red smoke stuka bomb + area denial. It would be nice if railway worked like the cheaper pathfinder arty.

No, they pay it for fucking hard points or smashing Artillery. Or emplacements. The area denial is a bonus.
13 Mar 2019, 16:35 PM

Permanently Banned

No, they pay it for fucking hard points or smashing Artillery. Or emplacements.

Exactly, except it's hard for the arty to be of any use if only the first shell hits the target and the 2nd and 3rd shells are WAY off due to the insane scatter. The only thing railway is good for is destroying ml20/B4. It can't kill an unbraced emplacement (just like the stuka bomb.) So in conclusion, it only destroys arty and cannot destroy hard points or emplacements.
13 Mar 2019, 17:31 PM

Every half dozen or so times I've used it, it might end up not taking out a LefH or Pak43, but otherwise it does that job just fine.

In team games I often end up spending nearly all my muni on it + major arty simply to counter LefH/PAK43s cuz it's quite effective at it.

Dunno, I think it's fine.
14 Mar 2019, 00:05 AM

Every half dozen or so times I've used it, it might end up not taking out a LefH or Pak43, but otherwise it does that job just fine.

In team games I often end up spending nearly all my muni on it + major arty simply to counter LefH/PAK43s cuz it's quite effective at it.

Dunno, I think it's fine.

180 munition for not reliably counter a lefh means it is totally suck.
14 Mar 2019, 02:00 AM

180 can mean a lot on a muni thirsty strategy or quite nothing on a overfloating muni faction
14 Mar 2019, 02:32 AM

180 can mean a lot on a muni thirsty strategy or quite nothing on a overfloating muni faction

The one faction that need double weapon upgrade to deal with single weapon upgrade is a overfloating munition faction? Trolling in this way is not fun. 180 means nothing when it can't even destroy a Lefh. Simply it is overpriced for its current performance.
14 Mar 2019, 15:46 PM

180 munition for not reliably counter a lefh means it is totally suck.

I think it is reliable the overwhelming majority of the time, though when frantically waiting for the enemy unit to appear to click the ability on it, it's possible to misclick slightly to the side, causing a shell or two to miss.

If it was made to be more consistent, I think that would be fine as it wouldn't really buff it's function in any way.

If all shells landed closer to the targeted point, it wouldn't suddenly become a tank or blob killer since dodging it is extremely easy.

But no, it definitely doesn't "suck" -- it does it's job bretty darn well.
14 Mar 2019, 16:55 PM

It's very reliable with any recon to spot or it but Major Recon, it becomes 50 more munitions more pricey, for a blink or you'll miss it. At least it can deal with static defenses that can be a pain in the ass for USF...
But the Priest can do it without costing you munitions, letting you put mines or arm your men.
14 Mar 2019, 17:28 PM

Priest can't reliably insta-gib a static defense in the heat of the moment the way time-on-target can, and if an enemy gets their LEFH vetted (which is quite easy to do), the counter-barrage can really mess up your priest.

I dunno, I think it's a good ability and it's very useful in tactical situations -- especially if your opponent shoves a pak43 behind a building where long range bombardment means you often hit the building in question.
14 Mar 2019, 18:16 PM

Priest can't reliably insta-gib a static defense in the heat of the moment the way time-on-target can, and if an enemy gets their LEFH vetted (which is quite easy to do), the counter-barrage can really mess up your priest.

I dunno, I think it's a good ability and it's very useful in tactical situations -- especially if your opponent shoves a pak43 behind a building where long range bombardment means you often hit the building in question.

It can 2-3 shot them with it's Vet1 quite easily, which is 50 munitions, ToT is really expensive for what it does.
14 Mar 2019, 21:09 PM

If Time on Target had a reduced delay before landing, it would be more useful against moving targets without being easier to use against emplacements.

Since it has a very small spread of shells, it would still be possible to move units out of the way.
16 Mar 2019, 07:45 AM

It can 2-3 shot them with it's Vet1 quite easily, which is 50 munitions, ToT is really expensive for what it does.

In my experience that doesn't work out so well on large maps. Nevermind that often I don't want to get a priest.

Though it's whatever, each their own.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS