Login

russian armor

HMG "handbrake" mode & manual reload.

22 Feb 2019, 11:56 AM

I think it would be an amazing QoL improvement if all HMGs in CoH2 and later in CoH3 would have a "handbrake" mode like the vehicles and a manual reload button.

In a lot engagements you are forced to aim at specific units with the HMG, but in the heat of the battle it can happen easily that you missclick the enemy squad by 1 nanometer, giving the HMG a move order instead so it dismantles the MG, forcing you to retreat and lose an important engagement which opens a flank for the enemy... I guess we all know this situation. Handbrake mode would prevent that from happening.

Same for manual reload. The enemy enters the arc of fire of the HMG, the MG fires 1 bullet then immediately reloads cuz it had only one bullet left in the canister, costing you the engagement.
I am 100% sure we even had this mechanic already implemented into the game by MrSmith in a previous balance mod, but it was entirely dismissed for whatever reason.
22 Feb 2019, 12:05 PM

[...]

In a lot engagements you are forced to aim at specific units with the HMG, but in the heat of the battle it can happen easily that you missclick the enemy squad by 1 nanometer, giving the HMG a move order instead so it dismantles the MG, forcing you to retreat and lose an important engagement which opens a flank for the enemy... I guess we all know this situation. Handbrake mode would prevent that from happening.

[...]

Use attack-move order. This way if you miss enemy unit MG won't start dismantling - it will just continue shooting at current target.
22 Feb 2019, 12:23 PM

Use attack-move order. This way if you miss enemy unit MG won't start dismantling - it will just continue shooting at current target.

If the direct Line of Sight is blocked and you use an atteck-move order on a squad it will still unsetup and follow that target which might easily lose you engagements against multiple units even if the machinegun is supported. So a handbreak mode could have its uses even if you never use direct attacks instead only attack-moves and immediatly use teh stop button to stop the HMG from following retreating squads.
22 Feb 2019, 12:37 PM

Yeh I know that trick. Still not a true solution :p
22 Feb 2019, 15:08 PM

I like these ideas. They are nice solutions to small issues in the game. Adding the solutions would be another thing that would distinguish medium from high-level players, as it increases the amount of micro required to optimally use HMGs.

Unfortunately, it's doubtful that we'll ever see anything like this implemented.
22 Feb 2019, 15:45 PM

Good ideas that should have been implemented a long time ago.
22 Feb 2019, 16:19 PM

I love the idea of manual reload. I find it frustrating for the MG to reload after first burst.
22 Feb 2019, 16:48 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

I proposed the idea of manual reload like 2 years ago to smith and fla, clearly it didn't make it in. I wasn't the first to propose it either. CoH3 or bust
22 Feb 2019, 17:32 PM

"Handbrake" or "Hold position" mode would be good.

I think a manual reload is too in-depth micro-wise. Instead, units could auto-reload after they exit combat. That would also benefit infantry and autocannons.
22 Feb 2019, 19:12 PM

As if early Maxim/Vickers spam ain't stronk enough.
22 Feb 2019, 20:19 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Feb 2019, 19:12 PMhooosh
As if early Maxim/Vickers spam ain't stronk enough.

This would be for all machine guns and doesn't really matter in the early game at all it just helps microing the hmg vs multiple targets if it has line of sight on them i would be suprised if any maxim spammer would stop attack-moving them and all of a sudden start spamming the reload key or a manual "handbreak" this pretty much benefits players with few machine guns to get the most of it in the mid and late game when they have fired multiple rounds and migth have to reload.
22 Feb 2019, 20:54 PM

Maxim spam? Is this 2017?
22 Feb 2019, 22:56 PM

Forget just MGs, manual reload would be great for everything. Would love to have it for the US AAHT's flak gun. That thing takes so long to reload
23 Feb 2019, 00:08 AM

I raise my cookie for OP. Love those ideas.
23 Feb 2019, 04:20 AM

I think a manual reload is too in-depth micro-wise. Instead, units could auto-reload after they exit combat. That would also benefit infantry and autocannons.

The problem with that is you never know how long a unit will be out of combat. Another enemy unit could appear as soon as the unit starts autoloading. Taking away that control could be just as frustrating.
23 Feb 2019, 09:05 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post23 Feb 2019, 04:20 AMCyanara

The problem with that is you never know how long a unit will be out of combat. Another enemy unit could appear as soon as the unit starts autoloading. Taking away that control could be just as frustrating.

That does sound like a problem, but as the system works currently, almost every single reload is done when fighting (the exception being if the last shot of the fight is followed by a reload).

Auto-reloading out of combat gives a much better chance of reloads happening when the weapons aren't in use.

The idea doesn't take away any control; it actually gives players more factors to consider about engaging at opportune times.
23 Feb 2019, 09:44 AM

I raise my cookie for OP. Love those ideas.

Thanks, good Sir.
23 Feb 2019, 10:25 AM

U want that feature from fps games where all players automaticaly realods after two shots yeah very realistical because u dont need magazine with 75% of bullets u always need that one with 100% ammo
23 Feb 2019, 11:13 AM
23 Feb 2019, 14:18 PM

U want that feature from fps games where all players automaticaly realods after two shots yeah very realistical because u dont need magazine with 75% of bullets u always need that one with 100% ammo

As long as real hmgs used bullet belts its far from safe this manual reload should be a feature, you fired 50% of your ammo box, you ask for a new one and link it up the the fed belt, hence you now have 150% ammo ready to be shot.

In order to whine a reason first you must have
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS