Login

russian armor

Poll: Do you honestly think that blobs should be nerfed?

20 Feb 2019, 16:32 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Feb 2019, 16:25 PMTobis
Blobs are a L2P issue, not a mechanics issue. "My opponent isn't using cover and is ignoring 80% of the map, it's not my fault I'm losing."

I agree with you, but the only problem is that blobs are used as a hard snowball mechanism. This becomes almost unstopable in specific scenarios.
20 Feb 2019, 16:33 PM

The problem is that situations will force you to "blob" and then you'll get penalized for things against your control like mass retreating to a forward retreat point or progressing through a choke point on a map. If you mass retreat and then someone makes a push against your retreat point should you really have to fight with nerfed troops in a bad situation already? It just gets too messy when there already ways to punish blobs like HMGs, rocket arty, etc. There are also times when it's advantageous to concentrate your units without "blobbing" in the sense of mindless clumping because you can't micro well.

As for the FRPs, well read my previous comment
As for force concentration, there would be an aura so if they are not exactly touching each other, it doesnt have to activate (Which is obvious BTW, why does have to explain that??)
20 Feb 2019, 16:34 PM

If a anti blob mechanism was implemented it should reduce the damage output of the blob.
20 Feb 2019, 16:35 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Feb 2019, 14:00 PMButcher
I voted no. Blobbing is a strategic decision. I'm against restricting it. Often you can't avoid blobbing since some maps offer narrow choke points where you have to keep your infantry together (for example Ettelbrück Station). All maps have cutoff points where it is good to have a high infantry presence. Concentrating your forces is part of gameplay.

The real issue with blobbing is the underperformance of some anti blobbing assets. What annoys me the most is the lack of survivability for all MGs but the Maxim. Seeing BAR, Bren, MG42 blobs walking head on into the MG arc and sniping crew-models while another model is trying to recrew the gun (again and again so that the MG can't fire a single salvo) is bullshit. If that could be fixed it would be a start.

Also some anti blobbing assets are underperforming: Namely the MG34 and Ostwind.

Thread should have ended here.

Anti blobs got nerfed too hard. Mines, Demo charges and AI vehicles all got the nerf bat a few patches ago and the result is this.
20 Feb 2019, 16:48 PM

It probably will never (and should never) get changed anyway but I am just very curious about what people think on this. I'm not salty at all about blob strats and I even use small-blob-strats myself, but I hear complaints about this strategy in CoH since 2009 when I joined this game franchise.

Do you think blob strats should get nerfed in CoH2? A very simple and effective way would be something like a "Horde-debuff". Those of you who ever played Command & Conquer: Generals will know that China's troops got a mechanic called Horde bonus. If 3 or more units of the same type got put together in a "blob" so they were in the proximity of each other, they received significant combat bonuses.

So in CoH2 it would be the other way around: If you put 3 or more units of the same type together, they get a penalty like +25% received damage & +25% received accuracy. Does not include units of teammates.

Would this benefit the game or would it make the game just more frustrating and unfun cuz certain strategies cannot get countered anymore due to assymetrical design?

I would try to give more logicial input. Let's look into effectiveness of a blob. It's easier to kill someone let's say a shock trops if 15 men shots a guy rather than 5 models. That simple logic works in CoH2 and it's coming from a basic of RTS game design.

OK, now imagine you have 1 squad - 5 men are caught by mg spread out across the area they SHOULD be harder to kill than 3 squads in 1 blob - 15 men. So 1 squad shotting at 3 squads in 1 group should have easier time to "score" a model.

Therefore it's quite sensible to implement it into next CoH - it's just hard to do without any bugs and errors.
20 Feb 2019, 18:01 PM

There was a mechanic exactly like that in CoH1, but the dynamic of the game was very different.
20 Feb 2019, 18:25 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post20 Feb 2019, 18:01 PMzerocoh
There was a mechanic exactly like that in CoH1, but the dynamic of the game was very different.

There was also the inverse where blobs got an aura buff....
20 Feb 2019, 18:28 PM

CoH1 brit blob = worst blob in the history of CoH :snfPeter:
20 Feb 2019, 18:35 PM

CoH1 brit blob = worst blob in the history of CoH :snfPeter:

Exactly
Oh, the whole faction had a horrendous design
20 Feb 2019, 19:26 PM

You want to take away the joy of wiping blobs with PW/Katy/Stukas?
20 Feb 2019, 19:56 PM

I have heard so much talk here about combined arms, but they continue to blob: this is a game built on a blob

Yeah, then play starcraft, command and conquer and age of empires.

Surely less blobs there
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS