Login

russian armor

The new Penals

19 Feb 2019, 17:58 PM

I replay this game just a week ago, just want to ask what's up with the Penals?
Who was the balance team decided to give that six men SVT squad?

There is no Grens or Volks able to fight it economically on par. T1 "elite" infantry at one min mark. What the hell?

I don't even start with the super sticky bomb.
19 Feb 2019, 18:05 PM

Welcome to being late to the party.

The PTRS package is an anti-infantry downgrade, it literally makes them worse against both grens and volks.

They are more expensive than grens and volks so yes they are a better combat squad by default.

They only get the sticky satchel if they take the AT upgrade (anti infantry downgrade) and it is very short range. They also no longer have Oorah.

They're fine.
19 Feb 2019, 18:05 PM

Sticky range is very low - if you get snared then it's a micro error on your part.

Penals are indeed good but they require T1 to be built and are quite expensive. Axis players will always have 1 squad advantage against a Penal opening. Use the numbers advantage to win the fights.

Also, penals aren't good against MGs. Two MG42s in midgame will really cripple a penal player.
19 Feb 2019, 18:07 PM

They do cost 300 on the other hand, and reinforce costs are starting to bite back after first couple of minutes from initial push, after their shock value have been decreased.

And don't get me started on that sticky homing satchels bullshit - they have like 5m radius of attack, you got to buy PTRS upgrade for it, trading 2 SVT's for 2 PTRS, decreasing that precious AI-power of yours, and even worse, these PTRS cant do shit neither to tanks, nor infantry.
IMO, if you want cheap and useful AT-infantry, then you should go for Tank hunters doctrine and get these PTRS for cons. They also have that nice tank-buster volley of nades, best ability hands down both visial and cost efficient.

All you got to do when dealing with t1 spam vs soviets is to withstand that first blow, and then you can start getting these manpover bleeds with mortars or snipers.
19 Feb 2019, 18:17 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Feb 2019, 17:58 PMPorygon
I replay this game just a week ago, just want to ask what's up with the Penals?
Who was the balance team decided to give that six men SVT squad?

They always had 6 SVT the weapon though was buffed to have around double far DPS.

The unit imo is simply too strong for its time frame.

You should consider yourself lucky that you missed the 6 months of penal running around with flamer and ourah or the "lent lease" penals, to Dshk, to M4C that followed.
19 Feb 2019, 18:24 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

They used to have even stronger veterancy, a flamethrower, and "for mother russia" gave them sprint, +50% accuracy, and a half point in armor

19 Feb 2019, 18:32 PM

Welcome to being late to the party.

The PTRS package is an anti-infantry downgrade, it literally makes them worse against both grens and volks.

They are more expensive than grens and volks so yes they are a better combat squad by default.

They only get the sticky satchel if they take the AT upgrade (anti infantry downgrade) and it is very short range. They also no longer have Oorah.

They're fine.

Buttom it, or it hit a mine, blob into the damaged tank and throw sticky satchel.
That's fine?
19 Feb 2019, 18:34 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Feb 2019, 18:05 PMNosliw
Sticky range is very low - if you get snared then it's a micro error on your part.

Penals are indeed good but they require T1 to be built and are quite expensive. Axis players will always have 1 squad advantage against a Penal opening. Use the numbers advantage to win the fights.

Also, penals aren't good against MGs. Two MG42s in midgame will really cripple a penal player.

Saying Penals aren't good against MG, just like COH1 Rifles aren't good against MG, which is bullshit.
19 Feb 2019, 18:40 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Feb 2019, 18:32 PMPorygon

Buttom it, or it hit a mine, blob into the damaged tank and throw sticky satchel.
That's fine?

Tellers one shotting all light is somehow. Wich can win you the game.

Buttoning and satchaling actually requires a lot of mirco and recources. Tellers are just put in place for i believe 50 muni and hope for the best.
19 Feb 2019, 18:50 PM

If you managed to hit a mine, and let a blob of penals(that had to gut their AI power for that possibility) get within 5 range of your tank, and spend a boatload of munitions to finish it off, then yes, it is absolutely fine.

Pgrens can do the same thing with Shrecks, and without running up to a tank

They are powerful, and they should be, they require tech, cost 300 MP, you lose early map control, and they get no upgrades, grenades or proper snares(as in, without having to lose 1/3 of their AI power just to have them) netiher do they have the ability to build defences (sandbags, bunkers etc.)
19 Feb 2019, 18:51 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Feb 2019, 18:34 PMPorygon

Saying Penals aren't good against MG, just like COH1 Rifles aren't good against MG, which is bullshit.

k
19 Feb 2019, 19:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post19 Feb 2019, 18:50 PMMusti

they require tech,

So t1 for soviets is considered tech? grens should outperform other mainline infantry since they require tech too?
19 Feb 2019, 19:24 PM

Permanently Banned
I have my gripes with penals, I think the AT satchel charge range is just a bit too long but there are far more pressing matters right now. You won't believe it but Ostruppen with T1 and a huge mg ostruppen build counters penal builds very well. Ostruppen were always decent vs Brits so it's more than worth using a doctrine slot with Ostruppen.

OKW needs to make one decision: do u think he's getting a scout car which means to go for a early rak or not. Then spam mgs on open maps. Urban maps = spam sturms to help the volks.
19 Feb 2019, 19:53 PM

So t1 for soviets is considered tech? grens should outperform other mainline infantry since they require tech too?

Ok, I admit I've phrased that sligtly wrong. What i meant is they require tech in a sense that you have to lock yourself out of T2 (or delay it, and then delay your T3 and T4 as well), unlike most infantry which is available in T0

Grens don't cost 300, going Grens doesn't lock you out of MGs, Mortars, or AT guns etc.
19 Feb 2019, 20:33 PM

Believe it or not, grens have the almost the same close range DPS per model as penal.
19 Feb 2019, 20:36 PM
Donator 11

You are really late to the party. Penals aren't even that good any more... They used to be much better in many different patches in the past.
19 Feb 2019, 21:11 PM

Volks cost 10mp more then cons and roflstomp cons, all fine and balanced.
Penals cost 50-60 more mp then axis inf and don't have any AI upgrade, suddenly imba.

You had a long break, L2P applies again.
20 Feb 2019, 01:21 AM

Consider the following:

Penal builds trade combined arms for raw early game power. They don't have mortars to push you out of fortified positions, neither mgs to control blobs. Axis factions will always have the tools to combined arms. That's one thing you can use.

Light vehicle play give penal build trouble because how subpar ptrs penals are compared to actual AT units. You can actually chase damaged units into the base with 222s, luchs or flametracks. It forces soviets it into guard doctrines, which turns manpower into an issue if you are able to inflict cassualties.
20 Feb 2019, 01:33 AM
Senior Moderator Badge

They used to have even stronger veterancy, a flamethrower, and "for mother russia" gave them sprint, +50% accuracy, and a half point in armor

All those military mavericks all over stories everywhere are making perfect sense now.
20 Feb 2019, 03:00 AM

I think the AT satchel charge range is just a bit too long

I'm going to take a picture of the quote and hang it on my wall.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

unknown 2

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight