Login

russian armor

Ostheer MG/Early

• This thread is locked
PAGES (13)down
15 Feb 2019, 11:02 AM

I actually had to recheck and ure right got me there, my bad. I still remembered vickers is 280 for some reason, well nonetheless its pretty meh compared to 42 at the same price.

My main point is that either 42 is too good or other MG's are severely lacking (except 50.cal) which is kinda the case. But the vickers and 50.cal was even nerfed few patches ago which makes no sense to me that much

It's rather that other MGs seem lacking compared to it but they're still good nonetheless. 50cal was nerfed because it was instantly pinning everything even at max range(even 42 doesn't instantly pin unless at really close range) and had a sprint ability, which, combined with an instant pin, made it immune to flanks. Imo, other machine guns are fine because they have other things going with them (with maybe except maxim that could use something like 10 MP cost decrease).
15 Feb 2019, 11:56 AM

Also I play Axis and hardly soviets

Can we have a playercard please?
15 Feb 2019, 12:45 PM

You mean the penals that indeed are 300 mp and require teching that will cuck you out of any support weapons or proper AT? Also, this thread isnt about penals. I don't want to argue about penals, i dont care about penals they could be removed for all I care if Conscripts were fixed and soviet t2 which is why penal play is so strong. Also I play Axis and hardly soviets nowadays

I actually had to recheck and ure right got me there, my bad. I still remembered vickers is 280 for some reason, well nonetheless its pretty meh compared to 42 at the same price.

My main point is that either 42 is too good or other MG's are severely lacking (except 50.cal) which is kinda the case. But the vickers and 50.cal was even nerfed few patches ago which makes no sense to me that much

Yes osthers mg42 is the best mg in the game, no faction relies more on their MG's then ostheer. Ofc other MG's will feel weaker when u compare them to the mg42 and that's your mistake. Vickers, .50 cal and maxim are all still very useful and are performing just as ther supposed to
15 Feb 2019, 12:46 PM

USF mg needs a nerf. It's insta suppressing and also doing good damage.
15 Feb 2019, 13:13 PM

USF mg needs a nerf. It's insta suppressing and also doing good damage.

Suppressed targets take reduced damage for extended time, so make your mind, it can either insta suppress or do good damage, its mechanically impossible to do both, unless you just leave your squad there for 30 seconds.

Its also most expensive stock HMG in game which arrives latest of all HMGs, it does have good performance for its cost and timing and you have confused yourself, this is ost mg thread, you think there is something wrong with other one, make a thread about it.
15 Feb 2019, 14:06 PM

Permanently Banned
jump backJump back to quoted post15 Feb 2019, 12:45 PMAlphrum

Yes osthers mg42 is the best mg in the game, no faction relies more on their MG's then ostheer. Ofc other MG's will feel weaker when u compare them to the mg42 and that's your mistake. Vickers, .50 cal and maxim are all still very useful and are performing just as ther supposed to

Maxim is hardly doing its job especially when Cons are so awful and the synergy doesnt work that well because of it, the fact u need vet 1 on maxim for it to even suppress targets and use ammo for that aswell is stupid. Soviets arent the ammo floating faction they once were either, and if u want cons to scale then u need expensive sidetechs to have useless grenade chuckers or go for a doctrine with ppsh's. Which then doubles down to why penals are so relevant

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Feb 2019, 11:02 AMFarlon

It's rather that other MGs seem lacking compared to it but they're still good nonetheless. 50cal was nerfed because it was instantly pinning everything even at max range(even 42 doesn't instantly pin unless at really close range) and had a sprint ability, which, combined with an instant pin, made it immune to flanks. Imo, other machine guns are fine because they have other things going with them (with maybe except maxim that could use something like 10 MP cost decrease).

Yeah i meant more about the vickers, i dont have an issue with the 50. cal nerfs and its still great. I don't feel like vickers has much going for it, u could again say that it deals better damage but the damage isnt that impressive and again, i personally get a mg to suppress not necessarily to kill units. U have tommies for that or even UC to bleed/support. And yeah the vickers vet is awful as someone said earlier here, tied to a gimmick. Although wasnt that part of the nerfs, that the inhouse range was nerfed too?

And Dshka is just the lovechild of maxim and 50.cal bringing out both bad things. Im sure these doctrines would see more play if the Dshka was more useful (though penal+dshka could be an issue but idk)

15 Feb 2019, 14:14 PM

MG-42 is the only viable option to stop USF infantry early game for Wher.
15 Feb 2019, 17:09 PM

I sure love having to spend time and manpower on dozens of neutral trenches that mess with my pathing in order to have an effective machine gun.
?
15 Feb 2019, 18:48 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

?

Proper answer.

British Trench
* Now counts as neutral when abandoned; can be captured
* Cost from 50 to 0
* Requires unit to be in friendly territory to be constructed

15 Feb 2019, 18:51 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

OP: MG42 is fine. USF MG is fine. Vickers is weird (+dmg -reliable suppression). MG34 suppression is fine, dmg is meh. Maxim is underwhelming but hey spam and has anyone seen a DHSKa ?
15 Feb 2019, 20:17 PM

Permanently Banned
Clearly a L2P issue. OP please make your way to the tutorial section (Strategy Desk) https://www.coh2.org/forum/18/strategy-desk
15 Feb 2019, 20:39 PM

Sure it's funny to steal one and then see how the Wehr can't figure out how to deal with an MG that surpresses in one burst.

Can't complain much when the .50 is the only Allied MG to do some work.
15 Feb 2019, 20:56 PM

When I play soviets or usf, I am actively happy when I go up against a wehr player(s) who is reliant on the mg-42. Just have a mortar ready and their entire performance gets gimped. Steal it, then gggggggggggggggggggggg
15 Feb 2019, 21:26 PM

Exactly, high risk/reward sistem there, MG42 are OP'ish, but once lost its very hard to recover them. Its a bad mistake to let that happen, i mean a punishing one.
On the other side until an MG42 is dropped it can be an uphill battle, no one disagrees with they overperformance, buts its a strange "feature" of the current early game.
I still think maxims need some love, some sort of buff
15 Feb 2019, 21:44 PM

My 0.02 is that all HMGs should have a narrower arc, higher suppression, and less damage. They should be a unit you have to actively pay attention to and can be flanked.

Basically I'd make them all kind of like a .50 cal with less damage.
15 Feb 2019, 23:53 PM

You mean the penals that indeed are 300 mp and require teching that will cuck you out of any support weapons or proper AT? Also, this thread isnt about penals. I don't want to argue about penals, i dont care about penals they could be removed for all I care if Conscripts were fixed and soviet t2 which is why penal play is so strong. Also I play Axis and hardly soviets nowadays

In a game with asymetric balance the whole army needs to be considered, so yes this thread is about penals, t-70s etc. if you're going to whine about maxims being underpowered. OST has good crew weapons to compensate for glass cannon infantry that are just barely able to protect and recrew lost weapons.
16 Feb 2019, 01:50 AM

OP: MG42 is fine. USF MG is fine. Vickers is weird (+dmg -reliable suppression). MG34 suppression is fine, dmg is meh. Maxim is underwhelming but hey spam and has anyone seen a DHSKa ?

Vickers is good in early game, usually 1 HMG vs 1 Infantry case, since Vickers can kill several enemy models before enemy retreat. But in late games, usually 1 HMG vs 2 or 3 Infantries case, Vickers is trash.
16 Feb 2019, 12:39 PM

?

Proper answer.

British Trench
* Now counts as neutral when abandoned; can be captured
* Cost from 50 to 0
* Requires unit to be in friendly territory to be constructed

My bad for incredibly misleading phrasing.

Squad Downtime building, not literal manpower as in the resource.

The point remains that the trench building does not allow an MG to reposition between engagements (as a decent MG play would demand) unless you have trenches all over the shop. If you only build one or two they'll always know where it's going to be hiding, unless you pop it out of the trench and waste your vet bonus.

I maintain - The vet is a worthless gimmick and should be replaced.

And all of this is a tangent to the point that the Mg42 is fine, so far as the expectations of MG's in CoH2 go.
16 Feb 2019, 17:02 PM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/53oe1vmxib2il7r/CoH2%20MG%20Comparison.xlsx?dl=0

I made this when I was trying to get my head around the MGs. The stats are mostly taken from the DPS chart and looking at stats in the attrib editor.

I didn't include some important stats like burst DPS, AoE suppression, or vs cover bonuses.
16 Feb 2019, 17:11 PM

So basically-
-The MG34 is like 95% as good as the MG42 EDIT: For suppression. Its damage is lower.
-DShK would be best MG if not for its tiny cone of fire
-Maxim close range performance does not improve past 10m like the other MGs (visible on DPS chart, not my spreadsheet), so it's more vulnerable to frontal attacks.

And I think-
-The M2's damage and RoF mean it's very inconsistent. The damage and suppression per shot could be halved and the effective RoF doubled, like the DShK
-I recommend increasing the short-range performance of bad machine guns would make them harder to push from the front, without making them as able to lock down a wide area like the MG42/34.
PAGES (13)down
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS