Login

russian armor

Nerf snipers

14 Dec 2018, 21:15 PM

Alright so let's talk about snipers because I haven't seen pretty much anyone talk about them.
They
are
fucking
stupid.
The only -true- counter to a sniper is another sniper, something which only 3/5 factions have, they are extremely durable for no reason, promote a stale play, where you have to blob because otherwise, you will lose every single 1-1 engagement because it'll snip off off a model, so not only does it disrupt the entire flow of the game and the way it's meant to be played but it also makes it super frustrating.

And the existing ""counters"" if you can even call them that are extremely weak, because the only you got if you're Okw or USF is a light vehicle rush which almost guarantees you have to rush into his base, through his frontline into his rear, where he can have his LV counter in the case, or just have infantry that can pin you (guards,ptrs penals or cons)

Oh and the skill requirement for the unit to be used effectively is low, (That's not to say it doesnt have high skill ceiling because it does.)

Here's an example of sniper durability https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5hJDq-i1e0&feature=youtu.be

#Ragepost

14 Dec 2018, 21:26 PM
Director of Moderation Badge

They won't nerf them. "Asymmetric balance" or some other excuse or whatever. This has been gone over since I started playing the game with intention to win (mid 2016). Nothing has changed since then.

As far as Vons clip goes, I'm 95% sure that the damage taken there was due to the sniper being in cover, and 99% sure the AAHT doesn't benefit from the 10m rule like some other lights and all infantry. Therefore it was effectively taking 25% of the potential at that range (if it was in green and not yellow if my memory serves me right, and I'm not checking, I've seen the clip 5-6 times already). Then Bao got unlucky with main gun destroyed but yeah it happens. It's a game heavily influenced by RNG.

I hate snipers too, but people tend to not complain too much anymore because I think people gave up on trying to push them into Hell, where the sniper and sniper users reside.
14 Dec 2018, 21:28 PM

pretty sure blobbing is bigger issue than snipers, since it requires little bit less iq to perform. And even if u have hard counter for sniper (own sniper) for some reason ppl prefers to go low iq blobbing instead of choosing the hard counter. Maybe its easier to execute, blobbing than sniper play :thinking:.

Not sure if its more higher skill required to shoot and then walk away, or to walk with 5 volks behind enemy to pick retreating units. That is a real debate.

I understund year 2013, when sniper can jump in scout car, and isu + guard commander came out, that was pretty cancer, i kinda understund ppl complaining soviet double sniper, even ostheer had double tap by that time. But on the other hand, nobody thought of brit snipers feelings, when he was alone, and couldnt even double tap :(

But on current state, no scout car snipers, no double team or double tap snipers, i think this post is just , well meh

edit. and lets not forget the fact, sniper is high risk high reward unit. you lose it , you are screwed, for a while or whole game is over, and also, its not 240 or 250 unit, its 360. In 2s and up, prolly screwed just for a while, but in 1s, u have prolly lost the game when u lose the sniper in early game. And further the game goes, sniper gets more and more dangerous to roam lands, so, i wouldnt think of this as an issue in this game. Not at all.
14 Dec 2018, 21:30 PM

They could do with a health cut imo. That, or have them start squishy and their health then scales with veterancy,
14 Dec 2018, 21:48 PM

CoH2 is pretty much unsalvageable, but I really hope that if there's ever a CoH3 that snipers are replaced by recon squads that act more like Jaeger Light Infantry or Pathfinders. With a lot of abilities (view range, mark target, maybe snipe model for muni, etc.) that will greatly supplement the other infantry but isn't as devastating on its own.
14 Dec 2018, 21:59 PM

The only -true- counter to a sniper is another sniper

Even when I try hard to find a direct counter, I find myself desperately wasting mp(that I may not afford) for a sniper, only because it the only viable counter if you're lucky to have faction with that unit.
And if by any bad luck it gets spotted too soon, then getting the sniper was in vain.

And the existing ""counters"" if you can even call them that are extremely weak, because the only you got if you're Okw or USF is a light vehicle rush

Also true.

I think a lot of people seem to discard how broken snipers are because they feel that it's balanced as long as "losing a sniper makes you lose big advantage and momentum".
This also is only true for Soviets, less for ostheer, and not true at all for brits, since getting a sniper doesn't impact their flow at all and even less their linear build chart.
Conincidentally, the brit sniper isn't treathened by ligth vehicles...

However what if you don't manage to do it? And it is also very possible to be, go watch Luvnest games in GCS, where the whole match is discarded and only focused on sniper play.
The thing about snipers, is when you use them for a long time, you develop reactions that let you know how to preserve it very long.
In 2v2 it's not rare to see a double sniper build into guards for instance...

At some point I could even sense when a somebody was getting a sniper of his own to counter mine, or rushing his light.
And what happens when he does get a sniper? None of these two units are used they stay hidden thorough the whole game and they are only devouted to counter ONE UNIT : the sniper :lol:

This is part of why I hate maps like arnhem I guess, because there is no way to avoid getting base rushed from axis in early game.
USF is almost guaranteed to lose their med truck on this map so they don't even build it.

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Dec 2018, 21:28 PMTüMe
pretty sure blobbing is bigger issue than snipers, since it requires little bit less iq to perform.

Blobbing has never been a problem before WFA factions were added since the game was scoping pre-designed maps and asymetrical balance for the 2 factions the game was designed for.
Nothing to be afraid of besides gren blobs or cons blobs.

Still no fix, other than removing schreks from volks, which made them even more of a nightmare to fight against.
THe problem really is that these types of players just like to say "f*** strategy, i'll YOLO ur defense xDDDD".

I think it's safe to assume after all these years that they don't know how to fix blobbing.
14 Dec 2018, 22:24 PM

I don´t know why blobbing is being brought up in a thread about snipers. Wouldn´t it be better to just discuss snipers instead? lol
14 Dec 2018, 22:36 PM

I don´t know why blobbing is being brought up in a thread about snipers. Wouldn´t it be better to just discuss snipers instead? lol

In a broader sense it's sort of releveant because one of the counters to snipers is blobbing.
14 Dec 2018, 22:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Dec 2018, 21:59 PMCresc

In 2v2 it's not rare to see a double sniper build into guards for instance...
I think it's safe to assume after all these years that they don't know how to fix blobbing.

I never see that anymore and can´t remember anyone using this strat in AC 2v2 either. It´s not working whatsoever since the soviet sniper team was changed to a single model. I personally don´t use Soviet snipers vs Ost anymore in general because I don´t feel like it´s working against good players. You start to depend too much on your sniper to clear out MGs, grens in green cover etc. which makes it so easy to get counter sniped.

14 Dec 2018, 22:50 PM

I wish they would make them dedicated scouts, who just have an ability to snipe someone for an ammo fee
Of course, that could make MGs and defensive playstyles and elite units a bit OP
At the very least, they should make LVs actually able to counter them
I believe they had already released at least two patches with LV buffs against snipers, yet theyre still pretty useles against them

BTW I say this as someone who heavily relies on snipers every time I play Sov, Wehr, or Brits
14 Dec 2018, 22:55 PM

I never see that anymore and can´t remember anyone using this strat in AC 2v2 either. It´s not working whatsoever since the soviet sniper team was changed to a single model. I personally don´t use Soviet snipers vs Ost anymore in general because I don´t feel like it´s working against good players. You start to depend too much on your sniper to clear out MGs, grens in green cover etc. which makes it so easy to get counter sniped.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/348369613?t=01h57m36s
Why would it not be working, because it's a single model? How is it relevant?
The cooldown has been put on par with ost sniper to make up for less survivability.

"it doesn't work against good players".

You ought to watch more of the GCS footage, especially those with Luvnest.
Snipers always work if you know how to preserve it.
It's not even hard.
14 Dec 2018, 23:24 PM

how about they make each sniper shot cost 5 munitions?
ddd
14 Dec 2018, 23:44 PM

I love when after chasing sniper half across the map i finally get him with my 2 models left and he just stands his ground and manfights my rifle squad. At he very least snipers should die in 3 seconds when focus fired by mainline infantry squad.
15 Dec 2018, 00:09 AM

well yah, u didint see much sniper use in AC coz blobbing in 2s is so insane (atleast for some players) that its not even worth to go for sniper, you get one shot, and you have to retreat, in most of cases , there is no other way. In 1s sniper can be more useable, even if opponent is blobber, coz u need map control, so you cant blob anywhere (outcluding Price), so you can use snipers in fights.
But in 2s, ppl run single line to cut off, like they were playing Moba, and u simply cant take any advantage over sniper.

If u face a player who is more used to 1v1, it can be very worthy play vs him and use sniper, but u play vs 2v2+ only player, very likely you cant use sniper
15 Dec 2018, 00:26 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post14 Dec 2018, 22:55 PMCresc

Snipers always work if you know how to preserve it.
It's not even hard.

this is what makes me mad, snipers just don't die, especially the WM, last time I played against it my cromwell landed TWO shots on him and he still fled with a sliver of health...

the only silverlining is that snipers award an INSANE ammount of veterancy when taking damage so even if you keep a sniper alive you might get hurt in the long run since the enemy will have several vetted units.
15 Dec 2018, 01:54 AM

I think they are alright, but factions don't always have a good counter to them. USF and Okw have weak counters early game. I would recommend reducing their sight range when moving them in coh3, and making light vehicles stronger vs them.
15 Dec 2018, 01:56 AM

I believe they had already released at least two patches with LV buffs against snipers, yet theyre still pretty useles against them

The only way i see to let LVs to counter snipers is to delay snares on all mainlines infantry.
15 Dec 2018, 02:15 AM

Snipers have been a part of this series since CoH1 and are in no way game breaking. Just learn better strategies to deal with them.

Make artillery do bonus damage to snipers, as this was the traditional way of dealing with them.
15 Dec 2018, 03:27 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post15 Dec 2018, 02:15 AMNaOCl
Snipers have been a part of this series since CoH1 and are in no way game breaking. Just learn better strategies to deal with them.

Make artillery do bonus damage to snipers, as this was the traditional way of dealing with them.

uhhh COH 1 sniper meta was pure cancer.... one could simply run a sniper blob and wipe entire armies out of existence....
15 Dec 2018, 04:28 AM

CoH2 is pretty much unsalvageable, but I really hope that if there's ever a CoH3 that snipers are replaced by recon squads that act more like Jaeger Light Infantry or Pathfinders. With a lot of abilities (view range, mark target, maybe snipe model for muni, etc.) that will greatly supplement the other infantry but isn't as devastating on its own.

+1
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS