Login

russian armor

Best way to get better at 1v1?

9 Nov 2018, 18:00 PM

I don't know but I just lost 6 matches in a god damn row. I ask my opponents what I did wrong but they just say, get better or something similar. So today I am here just for that. What are the best methods? play more matches? watch live stream read guides? I did do things extensively. But I'm still losing extensibvely. Is There a way to get betterOR do I just suck?
9 Nov 2018, 18:11 PM

Well, the point of automatch is that it matches you automatically against players of similar skill. So you can't actually expect that you win more matches when you get better ;-)

Sometimes that's why I think there's so much rage in the game (and the forums) - as soon as you figure out how to win, the game puts you against better players who already learned to counter your strats easily.

So better to just enjoy trying out new tactics and strats, rather than focusing on winning - since it's pretty much impossible to win over 55% of your matches by definition (unless you're in the top 50 players).

Although that didn't really answer your question, and I'm sure someone will come along and call me a loser for not focusing on gitting gud
9 Nov 2018, 18:14 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Nov 2018, 18:11 PMEuan
Well, the point of automatch is that it matches you automatically against players of similar skill. So you can't actually expect that you win more matches when you get better ;-)

Sometimes that's why I think there's so much rage in the game (and the forums) - as soon as you figure out how to win, the game puts you against better players who already learned to counter your strats easily.

So better to just enjoy trying out new tactics and strats and enjoying it, rather than focusing on winning - since it's pretty much impossible to win over 55% of your matches by definition (unless you're in the top 50 players).

Although that didn't really answer your question, and I'm sure someone will come along and call me a loser for not focusing on gitting gud

Thanks, I mean I know, so many people use maxed out strategies that remove most fun form the game. I personally love to use the Goliath, for example, try out not so popular choices. But that's only one factor of what I do wrong.
9 Nov 2018, 18:23 PM

Yeah true, I find it really boring to play against players who focus on one strategy only, but hey at least they're enjoying it. And if you're enjoying experimenting with shitty strats too, everyone wins :D

And funnily I think it actually makes you a better player in the long term. Take Goliath for example, bit of a meme unit, but then it actually is used at the highest levels in certain situations.
9 Nov 2018, 19:27 PM

Depending on your skill level try watching Tightrope's tips and tricks videos on youtube and just trying to understand game mechanics and how it works. Also watch game casts to see how higher level players use different strategies etc.
9 Nov 2018, 19:39 PM
Senior Editor Badge

I'd recommend uploading a replay and asking for a replay review! there are plenty of people here who are willing to give advice
9 Nov 2018, 19:43 PM

Watch replays from better players. It's ok to copy their bbuild orders and strats at the beginning. if you ddo that regularly, you get a feeling of what to do and why
9 Nov 2018, 20:11 PM

I don't know but I just lost 6 matches in a god damn row. I ask my opponents what I did wrong but they just say, get better or something similar. So today I am here just for that. What are the best methods? play more matches? watch live stream read guides? I did do things extensively. But I'm still losing extensibvely. Is There a way to get betterOR do I just suck?

In addition to the other replies, try watching some of the livestreams and watch how good players move their units, issue commands, position units, etc. Then try doing the same against a computer opponent before playing a lot online. If you start off by developing bad habits (speaking from personal experience) it can be really hard to change.

Also, try all five factions and see which fits your play style and ability to micro.
9 Nov 2018, 20:57 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

First of all, start here.

https://www.coh2.org/replay

Upload a replay and ask for someone to review it on the strategy section.

https://www.coh2.org/forum/2/state-office

What is your ranking? Against who you are struggling to win? Faction?
It's harder to give specific advise without knowing what you are having a hard time with.

Do you have the means to record your gameplay? This is something that will be missed by watching only a replay.
This is more likely a general advice for playing RTS in general. Be intelligent with your current APM (action per minutes). There are a lot of low ranked players who have high APM but waste their actions by overcommitting to a single unit, fight or even moving units from place to place.

Minimap/Tactical map is your friend. IF you want to use the tact map, i suggest rebinding the numbpad 0 button to a mouse button or other key which is more accessible.

If you are not used to constantly check the minimap or you sometimes get too absorbed in the action which hinders your multitasking, open up any site with a chronometer.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaUe-Hf0uSM

Every time you hear the sound, check the minimap/tactical map/unit shield on top right.

Use hotkey and control groups. Download any custom hotkey program such as autohotkey (ask here how to set it up).

It's a matter of preference, but using the gridkey layout on the menu results in an easier way to memorise certain abilities such as snares or grenades.
On control groups, this is really subjective on how to use it. For example this is my personal layout.
1-3: key units. In early game it might be an MG, sniper, light vehicle, pak. As the game transitions, so as well the importance of a unit. The MG control group transform in your tanks for example.
4-5: support units. Indirect fire units and engineers.
6-8: Howitzer/Rocket arty. Engineers. AA units. Any type of unit which doesn't require "finesse and fast" reaction as it's farther away from the natural position of the hand.

Just like when you learn how to type with a keyboard, start slow with a reduce number of hotkeys and slowly start adding them. Make yourself a personal patron which you can follow as to reduce any kind of mental effort input. You achieve RTS nirvana when you don't need to think of menial tasks which leave you space for you to think in the actual game at your hands.

https://www.coh2.org/topic/18454/celo-company-of-elo

Be real and know that sometimes you face way better players that your currently self can't defeat. Use those matches to focus on smaller things in order to improve. Set smaller goals such as "let's not get units wiped in the first minutes of the game" or try to not lose as hard by getting your whole army annihilated. In a normal game, you need 2 VPs to win. Forget about it and try to focus on a more "defensive 1 VP" strat. Harassing other point and VPs is fine as long as you don't waste too much resources on it.

9 Nov 2018, 20:57 PM

Watch people like hans, vonivon(not for his throws :P) and so on.... I started from the beginning aswel(i stopped playing, but i reached top50(my goal)). After a couple of monts of watching hans' stream and others i got around rank 120. Hotkeys were very important. Everytime i planted a mine i didn't do it with mouse, i forced myself to do it with hotkeys, and so on until i knew how to place buildings.
The longer you watch streamers and the more you play the more information you get and the better you micro gets.

Something very important that has to do with micro is the option to choose between two ways of microing. The option with TACTICAL MAP and the one without(like hans). Now hans plays without cause he just cant or doesnt want to, and he has the micro to do it. others play with cause they cant without(like me), or they may just like it more. If you've always played without the map its hard to get used to it, but you just click it when you're about to look at minimap, and you keep reminding yourself of doing it. Sometimes just randomly press it just for you to remember. At the end you normally should automatically push button for the map just to move units for example.

The map helped me so much as i sometimes forgot my units, and that was my biggest problem. For example a unit isn't capping something while i thought he was in circle. If i wouldn't use the tactical map it would take longer for ME to see that he isnt capping. So as you're waiting on the message of him saying it is captured, it just isn't comming. You can loose squads or keep them idle for so long that it has an effect on your chance of winning the game.
So i started trying to find a solution until i saw people that used the tactical map. It helps so much cause in that small window it gives you so much information, the posibilty of loosing squads for me decreased much and with idle units the same.

The big problem with the tactical map, hotkeys and such. They have such a shitty spot to reach with your hands. So i had to learn autohotkey aswel... But didnt take to long and i had a nice script running that only became better by time. There's so much stuff that's important i wouldn't believe myself if i said i didn't let anything out. By far actually. I mean i just gave a litle information. But atleast you got this bit. gl!
9 Nov 2018, 23:58 PM

keep playing, play all the factions if you can, it will teach you a lot.
Watch replays of better players.

Most importantly just keep playing, and improve your micro(watching tightrope videos on micromanagement will help you a lot).
19 Nov 2018, 14:39 PM

I am by no means an elite player but what allowed me to go from rank 1000+ to around rank 5-700 is by concentrating on trying to keep my units alive. To know when to abandon a losing firefight and survive with a veteran unit intact instead of fighting for as long as possible and risk losing the unit. Veterancy is everything in this game.

Another thing that works for me is instead of buying units as soon as i have available resources. I try to use lesser units and concentrate on keeping them alive and gaining veterancy instead of keeping hordes of units i cannot micro effectively. Three units controlled in a good way are worth more than 6 units microed horribly in my oppinion. What separates the pros from us lesser players are the amount of units you can micro effectively.

Do not be afraid to float lots of resources if you feel you are working at maximum mental capacity. Getting the extra two or three units will not help you in that case.
19 Nov 2018, 15:32 PM

2 things that helped me be better:

1 - l2p
2 - play tutorial
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak