22 Oct 2018, 19:37 PM

What would people like to see?
22 Oct 2018, 19:39 PM
22 Oct 2018, 19:40 PM

lol thanks
22 Oct 2018, 19:46 PM

1) Symmetrical maps

2) A certain variety
I wish we had something like Dusseldorf or that hedgerow maze (?was it Mcgahens war?) map from CoH1. Sure, its a bit of a RIP for Wehr and Brits, but we need maps that force u to play a bit differently than the usuall strats

3) Night/ Foggy and Ice maps
Rzhev winter was removed (well, it deserved that) but now we have almost no ice maps in the 1vs1 and 2vs2 map poll
Seeing an enemy heavy or a bunch of calliopes get sank, cause they felt like the risk might be worth the reward belongs to some of the most satysfying and hillarious things this game can create
Also why we dont have night and foggy maps is beyond me.

4) Bring back Lorraine and Wolfheze from CoH1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkIJsnLBA4c
Lorraine even feels like it was created with the true sight in mind. There is a comunity version of the map, but it neds to have some of the resources points repositioned
22 Oct 2018, 19:59 PM
Senior Mapmaker Badge

We had a lot of different maps in the map pool but most of this community maps were dropped by the community (because "community maps are crap, not balanced, not well done", ect ect).
So at the moment the map pool will be enforced for the pvp gameplay. No one was interested in those experiments.
Now it is too late.
Relic has dropped the game. Tric tried to do some maps with pvp players but most of the maps were small 1on1/2on2 maps. Large maps like 3on3 and 4on4 will need a lot of time and i wont invest those time because at the end the map wont be played, no one will balance it and it wont be implemented.
So it is a nice idea but i'm afraid that it is way too late for those experiments.
22 Oct 2018, 20:04 PM

Symmetrical maps

Right, finish the game. Add symmetrical and mirror maps for more boredom. After all, it is not enough to make fractions symmetrical.
22 Oct 2018, 20:12 PM

Right, finish the game. Add symmetrical and mirror maps for more boredom. After all, it is not enough to make fractions symmetrical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sRS1dwCotw

For example Faymonville approach is one of the most symmetrical maps in the game, yet its also one of the best and most fun to play on.

But if u feel like playin on more pure trash such as assymetrical Moscow outskirts or Road to Kharkov... well, have your "fun"

As for symmetrical factions... nice to know that we´re both playin a different game
22 Oct 2018, 20:18 PM

For example Faymonville approach is one of the most symmetrical maps in the game, yet its also one of the best and most fun to play on.

But if u feel like playin on more pure trash such as assymetrical Moscow outskirts or Road to Kharkov... well, have your "fun"

As for symmetrical factions... nice to know that we´re both playin a different game

And I will continue to enjoy and return to me Summer Rzhev - the most beautiful, bloody, intense and interesting map of the game.
22 Oct 2018, 20:19 PM

People don't understand that "symmetrical" Maps doesn't mean carbon copy maps split in half. A map can look and have different variety as long as it doesn't give one side an advantage (IE as you said Road to Cutoff and GG north spawn the map). One of the worse things, in my opinion, that has been done to maps is that one side is literally closer to the center of the map than the other side. That's just inexcusable for competitive maps. Asymmetrical maps are immensely bad for game balance, I mean just look at the worst maps in the map pool all of them are asymmetrical in some way that makes spawning on one side a huge disadvantage.

Honestly, at this point, it seems like half the community sees the word symmetrical as a bad thing even if they have no idea what it means.
22 Oct 2018, 20:33 PM

People don't understand that "symmetrical" Maps doesn't mean carbon copy maps split in half. A map can look and have different variety as long as it doesn't give one side an advantage (IE as you said Road to Cutoff and GG north spawn the map). One of the worse things, in my opinion, that has been done to maps is that one side is literally closer to the center of the map than the other side. That's just inexcusable for competitive maps. Asymmetrical maps are immensely bad for game balance, I mean just look at the worst maps in the map pool all of them are asymmetrical in some way that makes spawning on one side a huge disadvantage.

Honestly, at this point, it seems like half the community sees the word symmetrical as a bad thing even if they have no idea what it means.

I don't care about balance, I don't care about competitions. I love to play and I play. I play from any side and I can win. I think that complex non-symmetrical and non-mirror maps and some imbalance makes the game interesting. If I wanted to play play symmetrical maps / factions - I would play chess.
22 Oct 2018, 20:42 PM
Lead Strategist Badge

And still was before the last mapupdate super unbalanced from north / south side :)
22 Oct 2018, 20:45 PM

Permanently Banned
Need more maps like redball express, simple and directly, with 2 equals sides...

All coh2 maps are boring and crap, with one good side ez win mod.

Designs are soo bad, most of 4v4 maps are like 1v1 by sector and it is just boring. I wanna real 4v4.
22 Oct 2018, 20:53 PM

I don't care about balance, I don't care about competitions. I love to play and I play. I play from any side and I can win. I think that complex non-symmetrical and non-mirror maps and some imbalance makes the game interesting. If I wanted to play play symmetrical maps / factions - I would play chess.

Its not fun for a fast majority of players to alt f4 on maps when you get RNGed onto the losing side. On some maps you have to put much more effort to win against your opponent that its just torment to play through.

I think imbalanced maps make the game uninteresting. Its not fun to win or lose because of a shit map.
22 Oct 2018, 21:01 PM

22 Oct 2018, 21:04 PM
Donator 11

Its not fun for a fast majority of players to alt f4 on maps when you get RNGed onto the losing side. On some maps you have to put much more effort to win against your opponent that its just torment to play through.

I think imbalanced maps make the game uninteresting. Its not fun to win or lose because of a shit map.

Majority is too strong of a word here. I honestly haven't even heard of anybody being so angry at the game to turn it off when he gets the side he doesn't like on a map.

Also, maps don't have to be symmetrical to be ballanced. Just like assymetrical factions are ballanced by having different strenghts and weakneses that players try to use or overcome maps can give different sides/teams/players different bonuses and initial goals. When a map feels different to play depending on the side, it is almost as if you had twice the number of maps! And in games like coh2 where players play the same game mode for many hours it is important to let the game change from one match to another or the game gets boring quite quickly.
22 Oct 2018, 21:21 PM

Majority is too strong of a word here. I honestly haven't even heard of anybody being so angry at the game to turn it off when he gets the side he doesn't like on a map.

Also, maps don't have to be symmetrical to be ballanced. Just like assymetrical factions are ballanced by having different strenghts and weakneses that players try to use or overcome maps can give different sides/teams/players different bonuses and initial goals. When a map feels different to play depending on the side, it is almost as if you had twice the number of maps! And in games like coh2 where players play the same game mode for many hours it is important to let the game change from one match to another or the game gets boring quite quickly.

I do agree maps don't always have to be symmetrical to be good/balanced. Its just easier to balance a more symmetrical type map. Some of the symmetrical maps have been pretty bad also (Sittard Summer/winter is the biggest example I can think of). Sometimes though I feel the asymmetry of maps in coh2 does more bad than good, being from a competitive gaming background for most of my life, however, I might be a little bias towards the more competitive symmetrical maps we see in other games.

I feel like asymmetry can work as long as they do not mess with certain "must have" map attributes (IE: Same timings to center of map, no game-changing one-sided buildings, single-sided cutoffs, unfair or uneven cover that favors one side.) The biggest complaint I have is maps like Moscow which have a brutal cutoff for north for the north favored fuel while having no equivalent for the south side which is unfair.

I havent alt f4ed a match bc of a map so yeah an exaggeration my bad on that. It is still pretty upsetting to get some bad map spawns though and I can say I have quit the game after some matches after getting screwed over and over by map choice (Use to happen after getting Sittard Summer after vetoing it and going through a painful hour-long artillery fest.)
23 Oct 2018, 00:42 AM

One of the most popular maps in CoH1 was The Scheldt.

One of the most loathed maps in CoH1 was The Scheldt.

Haters gonna hate.
23 Oct 2018, 00:55 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

Also, maps don't have to be symmetrical to be ballanced.

From what I could tell, most of the people who argue that are those that were opposed to the map rebalances. So when players ask for balanced maps/reworks to maps, a lot of the opposition acted like that implies every map needs to be and will be made symmetrical.
23 Oct 2018, 02:03 AM
Donator 11

There are plenty of custom maps that IMO could be plopped into live build and be more balanced than a few of the larger maps (2v2+) we have in pool.
I wouldn't mind that we get a new map per game mode with the new balance patch.
23 Oct 2018, 03:52 AM
Senior Mapmaker Badge
Benefactor 119

Nexus (2) is genuinely in good shape at the moment. Could be very close to ready for 1v1 map pool with some more tweaks. https://www.coh2.org/topic/81311/2-nexus

Also, ive been saying this for years, a 4v4 map called Dust and Stones (COH1) should be remade for COH2, i started working on this project but have been very busy with RL. This would be a fantastic and sorely needed 3v3/4v4 map.

All this said it may be a bit late in the COH2 life cycle to be doing either of these things. The map pool has been in a moderate state for years now. On the other hand, if a skilled mapper has testers and free time it would be a good idea to remake Dust and Stones, and if Relic is willing to continue improving the map pool and add refined community maps like Nexus and Dust and Stones then why not go for it.

These would both be for ladder of course as I assume that is what we are talking about.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS