Login

russian armor

Opel Blitz- why?

21 Sep 2018, 20:23 PM

Why does the Axis-- powers which historically struggled mightily with the supply chain issues (see Rommel in North Africa for example)-- get a unit which enhances their supply chain? I anticipate responses being either of the category a) Axis units more expensive and they need help or b) this is just a game and does not reflect reality, the devs wanted more people willing to play as Axis and so they've made them advantageous.

Personally I find both of these rationales deeply flawed. To the first point, you could simply adjust prices of units to make them more affordable. To the second, it seems generally agreed-upon here that the Axis' roster set which includes things like cheap light vehicles and other such make the game more forgiving to so-called "noobs," especially in team games where opel blitz seems to really shine due to more players meaning more protection (even if they don't reap the rewards of your truck). There might be a third point c) raised, which is "it's not that much resources," to which I'd say, not much can still make a huge difference. Logistics and supply chain excellency/flexibility has been argued as what truly gave the allies an advantage and, other than lend-lease, it's not really reflected in the meta.

Rather than say "opel blitz is fine" can someone explain why certain allies factions like the US do not deserve their historical birthright?
21 Sep 2018, 20:31 PM

Because the game isn't balanced on history?
21 Sep 2018, 20:41 PM

A clear type b) response. OK, so, not balanced on history, how does opel blitz create balance?
21 Sep 2018, 20:45 PM

"I have seen this ability being used in a game I have just lost, therefore this ability is the sole reason of my loss and must be op" the thread.
21 Sep 2018, 20:48 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post21 Sep 2018, 20:45 PMKatitof
"I have seen this ability being used in a game I have just lost, therefore this ability is the sole reason of my loss and must be op" the thread.

Nope, been on a roll lately. Been wondering about this dynamic for a while. Notice I didn't say it was op, either. I'd like to understand its presence in the game, specifically pertaining to how it creates balance. Care to contribute to this discussion, or just pigeonhole me for motives?
21 Sep 2018, 20:58 PM

Open blitz reflect more the eastern front situation than western one, at a moment where the Werhmarch had the upper hand (not for a long time in the game scenario but still). USF faction isn't based on western front either in fact but a specific time and location where they were struggling vs a German offensive. They didn't had their supply chain working well during the battle due to the long way to the sea and weather that wasn't really favorable.
At the end, the USF won mostly thanks of their resilience and German lack of resources to sustain their offensive.
21 Sep 2018, 21:08 PM

Answer to every thread beginning with "Historically, (insert faction here) did/did not have/use...

A clear type b) response. OK, so, not balanced on history, how does opel blitz create balance?

Cuz it's unique and different. It's not particularly OP at all and very easy to destroy, but adds more flavor to the game. If you want, all the factions could be mirror copies of each other with exactly 1 unit for each role in the game. Units don't have to "create balance" (odd expression as balance is more a state of being of other things); as long as they don't break balance they're fine.
21 Sep 2018, 22:49 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

Moving out from balance.
21 Sep 2018, 22:56 PM

Why doesn't Ost have 6 man double lmg squads? Why does the Soviet have so many high AOE weapons? Why can certain units disappear entirely and move across open fields unseen? It's a game. Quit bitching because you lost and get back at it.
21 Sep 2018, 23:35 PM

Why doesn't Ost have 6 man double lmg squads? Why does the Soviet have so many high AOE weapons? Why can certain units disappear entirely and move across open fields unseen? It's a game. Quit bitching because you lost and get back at it.

This post wasn't prompted by bitching (I challenge you to find a hint of animous in my post equal to or greater than your disproportionate, terse, and frankly insulting response simply to "quit bitching") nor was it prompted by a loss. I'd like to understand its mechanical function in the game. Your rhetorical questions are tantamount to non-sequitors, and could be used as canned responses to any post in balance.
21 Sep 2018, 23:46 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

I'd like to understand its mechanical function in the game.

To increase resources (2x) for a player who calls it in and sets it up on a point. Question answered, thread closed?
22 Sep 2018, 00:17 AM

To increase resources (2x) for a player who calls it in and sets it up on a point. Question answered, thread closed?

Getting closer, albeit smart aleck-ly, but the reason I posted it in balance is wondering what allies have to offset its effect ability-wise (or simply econ-wise) in particular because it makes unconnected territory act like connected, no?
22 Sep 2018, 01:04 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

Getting closer, albeit smart aleck-ly, but the reason I posted it in balance is wondering what allies have to offset its effect ability-wise (or simply econ-wise) in particular because it makes unconnected territory act like connected, no?

Considering the opel blitz is a commander ability, allies have whatever is in their 5th commander slot. Also considering the commander it's in isn't really that good, they technically have an entire commander to counter it.
22 Sep 2018, 01:55 AM

Fuel airdrops. Or you could just build non doctrinal caches. Or you could just control more of the map. Or you could go kill the opel blitz.
22 Sep 2018, 02:09 AM

Eh, I'll bite. Why not?

I always told myself the opel blitz represents just how useful a strong supply chain of Opel Blitzes were to Axis dominance.

You know before they drove them all into the russian mud. :megusta:

See, Opel Blitzes can produce a lot of resources but they can result in a lot of lost manpower very quickly. Manpower that is very crucially needed to field and reinforce squads. Nothing is worse than sitting on hundreds of fuel with no manpower to help yourself.

Opel blitzes die to small arms fire rapidly. Caches don't.

All powers in WW2 were made and broken by their logistics and supply chains. Don't spread your manpower resources too thin rushing for fuel. ;)

Or, of course, you can bicker with argumentative forum sophists. :D
22 Sep 2018, 02:33 AM
Senior Strategist Badge

Or, of course, you can bicker with argumentative forum sophists. :D

That's Forum Champion Supreme to you, pleb.
22 Sep 2018, 02:42 AM

That's Forum Champion Supreme to you, pleb.

Vorpal Forum Champion Supreme +5, you mean. :foreveralone:
22 Sep 2018, 07:06 AM

this post was surely not made by a biased american
22 Sep 2018, 20:05 PM
Senior Strategist Badge

this post was surely not made by a biased american

Most certainly not, he just wants allies to get their historical birthright.
22 Sep 2018, 20:47 PM

I'd like to understand its mechanical function in the game.

It's a supply cache on wheels. It serves the same function, but you can move it around.

That's pretty much it. A fun thing in one commander.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★