Login

russian armor

Weapon upgrades for standard infatry squads

22 Nov 2018, 18:09 PM

RGD-33 Fragmentation Grenade (Affects Partisans, but not Shocks)
* AOE far damage reduced from 0.5 to 0.25 (Same as MK2)
* Ready aim time increased from 0.125 to 0.625 (to match MK2 overall delay). Later this change was reverted.
* Munitions cost reduced from 45 to 35. Later to 30
Up to debate, but if say we nerf the damage from bundles nades and we make them cheaper. Is that a nerf or a buff.
Question: doesn't this mean that grenades deal way less dmg to garrison unit (one of the main purposes of nades).

The Guard grenade is so disgusting when I throw it at MG-42 in a building or a squad of infantry that doesn't even move. RGD-33: Poof, go fuck you and do not joke damage.
22 Nov 2018, 18:52 PM

Still, you are missing the point by a MILE. 60mm mortar which was tested on preview had specific set of stats. When they moved up to 81mm model and release, the stats where completely different. BUGFIXING didn't account for these.
You are really dense. PREVIEW mortar =/= Release mortar. Is that hard to grasp? Bugfixing was just bugfixing.

I have never mentioned the preview mortar and I am not referring to the Bugged mortar. I am not blaming anyone for anything. Since Relic makes patches they are responsible for goes in them.

On the other hand the July 28th Hotfix mortar is described even by the MOD team as OP:

"The USF Mortar barrage, rate of fire and veterancy bonuses have been causing this unit to overperform in most engagements. Furthermore, it has overshadowed the more expensive pack howitzer, lacking only range on its barrage until the pack howitzer hits veterancy 2."

Guards: reminder that we were talking as if current Guards were STRONGER than pre rework PTRS Penal Guards.
Can't you simple accept that you are wrong, for once ? I can open a poll showing up the stats of Guards pre rework and the current status and i don't think ANYONE will agree that the end result makes Guards stronger or that they were buffed. If you mix changes and the end result is a nerf, the unit is simple nerfed.

Guards dancing around losing their DPS was fixed in probably in the December patch, until then Guards where not OP due to the bug, the bug fix is what actually increased their performance.

The fixed guards where described OP even by the moderation team and they applied a number of nerf:

"Guards

Guards were proving to over perform in ratio to their cost, appearing to supplement any strategy, thus, limiting variation in Soviet commanders.

Manpower cost increased from 330 to 360 (NERF)
Damage vs non-vehicles reduced from 27 to 20 (reverted in DBP)
Damage vs vehicles on deflection increases from 13 to 20 (Buff)
Guards can now re-buy lost items and equipment (Buff)
Vet 2 accuracy bonus reduced from 1.3 to 1.14
Vet 3 now grants a further 1.14 accuracy (1.3 total) nerf in timing total DPS the same.
Vet 2 received accuracy bonus decreased from 0.83 to 0.88
Vet 3 now received accuracy bonus increased from 0.77 to 0.75, total received accuracy at vet 3 has been reduced from 0.6391 to 0.66. (Revert in DBP since target size was reduced to 0.97 but now start better so this is buff.)
"

"So, let's make a TL;DR version for people who don't want to look at numbers.
They are more expensive, (true)
they have a higher popcap, (true)
they deal less deflection dmg on PTRS,(?Damage vs vehicles on deflection increases from 13 to 20)
they gain 1/3 of the XP they used to gain with their PTRS (applies to all AT infantry)
they have a weaker grenade but it's cheaper (true)

they start with 0.97 RA but they receive WAY less RA and accuracy buffs at vet 2. At vet 3 the overall RA is despreciable lower. (True)
They replaced an overpowered recon + nuking model (True, "Hit the ground" is a very powerful ability thus increases veterancy gain on top of everything else")

The weapon cd DPS calculation is a mess because you'll have to calculate it towards PTRS/DP/Mosin but i'll take for granted that it's for DPs Guards (cause bolt action benefit way less from cd if memory serves right).

That is incorrect, CD is the best buff after accuracy. In addition to 25% bonus in CD they also get a around 7% more range and thus 7% accuracy. I can calculate the number for you if you want.

I could care less about what type of tag you want to put to a unit. Are new Guard stronger than old Guards ?

If you really think so, i guess i'm not gonna waste more time in this discussion.

Let me rephrase again because this is getting rather pointless, in March 28 the MOD team described Guards as OP
"Guards
Guards were proving to over perform in ratio to their cost, appearing to supplement any strategy, thus, limiting variation in Soviet commanders."

And decided to nerf them both in performance and cost, the majority of the performance nerfs thou where reverted in DBP, they even come with more deflection damage and a very powerful vet 1 ability that increase DPS significantly.

In the end what they actually nerfed was the price and pop and not the performance which remains about the same since most of the nerf where revert. That decision established Guards from 330 "jack of all trade" (as described, by many people including lead designers and you in a older post) to an elite infantry.

I suspect the reason for this decision was the overlap with PTRS penals.

Imo it would have been allot better for the game balance wise if the Guards was balance as 330 unit "jack of all trade", alternatively one could try to move CP3 so that they are closer to USF elite infantry.

The point I was trying to make is that Guard's position has changed from mediocre all around (AI/AT) unit to an good all around unit (at least in AI).
22 Nov 2018, 19:54 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post22 Nov 2018, 18:52 PMVipper
snip

At this point i have to ask, are you trolling me ? I ask you a specific question to a specific claim. You keep dodging the point and answering with another question or bringing another point to the discussion.

It's also on bad taste to cut down on parts of someone comment to make your point look better, specially with the addition of colours.
As i said before and wrote the differences between that time frame of Guards and CURRENT one.

You are painting in "green" as if Guards were OVERALL buffed in say deflection damage when they actually lost it. I can play the same game without actually cutting content. The rebuying of weapon lost is more of a bugfix/QOL as you could do so but with limitations IIRC. Not so with PTRS so that's my bad.

330mp vs 360mp
Triple vet gaining through PTRS vs AT units in general receiving less vet.
Deflection dmg 13 vs dmg 10
PTRS damage vs infantry remained the same. -7 dmg nerf and later +7dmg buff.

Vet0 RA 1.0 vs 0.97
Vet 2 accuracy bonus reduced from 1.3 to 1.14
Vet 2 received accuracy bonus decreased from 0.83 to 0.88
Vet 3 now grants a further 1.14 accuracy (1.3 total)
Vet 3 now received accuracy bonus increased from 0.77 to 0.75, total received accuracy at vet 3 has been reduced from 0.6391 to 0.66. (with the latest change it went to 0.6402
)

This means that it takes longer to get stronger Guards instead of just hitting vet 2, which again is further delayed by the AT xp gaining changes.

Guards can now re-buy lost items and equipment (Buff)

RGD-33 Fragmentation Grenade (Affects Partisans, but not Shocks)
* AOE far damage reduced from 0.5 to 0.25 (Same as MK2)
* Ready aim time increased from 0.125 to 0.625 (to match MK2 overall delay). Later this change was reverted.
* Munitions cost reduced from 45 to 35. Later to 30
Up to debate, but if say we nerf the damage from bundles nades and we make them cheaper. Is that a nerf or a buff.
Question: doesn't this mean that grenades deal way less dmg to garrison unit (one of the main purposes of nades).

Pop 8 vs 9

They did not get tripwire flares ON TOP of getting HTD Guard version. While it's 1000% more sane to have a different ability, tripwire were OP at the time we are talking about Guards.

Tripwire flare: 80dmg, multihitting entities, wiping squad getting outside buildings.

Hit the dirt (Guard version): increase range and -25% cd reduction.

That is incorrect, CD is the best buff after accuracy. In addition to 25% bonus in CD they also get a around 7% more range and thus 7% accuracy. I can calculate the number for you if you want.

My bad for not being clear. I'm talking about that cooldown is, i think, a better modifier for PTRS/DPs than it is for Mosins. When i said it's a pain to calculate is due to the fact that cooldown changes depending on range and it's not as easy as saying that X cd modifier translate to Y DPS increase. It changes with range and type of weapon. Same with the range increase and how that affects all other variables.

I'll answer your other question: Guards remain to be what they used to be. That's an Elite squad with good AI and mediocre AT, with utility abilities and great defensive capabilities. They perform the same role now than 5 years ago.

Gonna leave the thread but i want to ask, if you want, answer with a yes/no.

Subjective question: making a grenade weaker but cheaper, is a buff or a nerf overall.
Moving the bonuses from veterancy from vet 2 to vet 3, is a buff or a nerf.
Not talking about their position in the meta, are current Guards stronger than pre PTRS rework Penals ?

23 Nov 2018, 00:58 AM

At this point i have to ask, are you trolling me ? I ask you a specific question to a specific claim. You keep dodging the point and answering with another question or bringing another point to the discussion.

This what I have originally wrote:
"Let me explain how this has worked so far. People complained that Soviet always went for maxims, so they decided to buff Penals, but then they had to buff Guards, but now they have to buff Shock and now you want to buff conscripts. Then will have to buff the maxim again because nobody is using it...and so on.

Buffing a units to make it more attractive is simply the wrong way to about it, there is power level that is good and units should not exceed that power level. Units should have different roles so people choose them for what they bring to the table and not because they are OP.

Adding PPsh to conscripts is simply not "the only realistic" solution. It is actually a bad solution."

My wording is bad and this is what actually my claim is:
...so they decided to increase the power level (increase price and performance)of Penals, but then they had to increase the power level of Guards,...

It's also on bad taste to cut down on parts of someone comment to make your point look better, specially with the addition of colours.

Sorry you feel that way my only intention was to make it easier to read.

As i said before and wrote the differences between that time frame of Guards and CURRENT one.

You are painting in "green" as if Guards were OVERALL buffed in say deflection damage when they actually lost it.

That is actually my mistake. The change to PTRS deflection damage come in the 17th of May 2018 but unfortunately it is not listed a change in Guards but in "PTRS (all variants)" so although I did remember something about it I missed it. In my defense it is getting a bit confusing with all the MODs.

My bad for not being clear. I'm talking about that cooldown is, i think, a better modifier for PTRS/DPs than it is for Mosins. When i said it's a pain to calculate is due to the fact that cooldown changes depending on range and it's not as easy as saying that X cd modifier translate to Y DPS increase. It changes with range and type of weapon. Same with the range increase and how that affects all other variables.

I have actually calculate the affect of the "hit the ground" and according to my calculation it is about 14% in total DPS of the squad at same range (although the have greater range). If I remember correctly half of it it due to CD and the other due to increased accuracy. Imo the ability is very powerful.

I'll answer your other question: Guards remain to be what they used to be. That's an Elite squad with good AI and mediocre AT, with utility abilities and great defensive capabilities. They perform the same role now than 5 years ago.

Yes they have the same role, but their power level has been increased. It has gone from a 330 unit to 360 unit that imo it also is OP for cost and time frame.

Gonna leave the thread but i want to ask, if you want, answer with a yes/no.

Subjective question: making a grenade weaker but cheaper, is a buff or a nerf overall.

nerf

Moving the bonuses from veterancy from vet 2 to vet 3, is a buff or a nerf.

nerf

Not talking about their position in the meta, are current Guards stronger than pre PTRS rework Penals ?

I am sorry I can not follow what you want me to compare, can you pls give date of patch?
24 Nov 2018, 09:04 AM

At this point I would like to congratulate the MOD team for actually replacing the trip wire flares with a new ability.

I have been advocating for custom design abilities and vet bonus for units for years and I should have mention this earlier.

On the other hand there are some issues with the ability that I think they could be improved:

Guards Hit the Dirt (Veterancy 1 ability)

According to my calculation this ability increase the DPS of Guard squad by around 14% and that is with out counting that Guards can start firing beyond 35 meter (since they have a bulletin that increase sight). That range can go up to 42.5 in the case of PTRS. Imo it simply too powerful for vet 1.

To make thing even worse if the 2 PTRS focus fire on the same model (which can be depended on enemy squad formation) they can drop model really fast since 3 shot are enough.

The performance of PTRS is also confusing since the same weapon on different units has or has no AI.

In addition having 2 version of "hit the dirt" one offensive and one defensive is adds more confusion to user.

Finally the ability require little micro from the user, one finds green cover place his Guards behind and wait for enemy squads.

For all these reason my suggestion would be the following:
1) All AT rifles (Boys/PTRS) loose their AI.
Reasons, user friendly, AT tommies can get back their medic/pyro upgrade. AT tommies might become extincted with the new At grenades on Ro.E.

2) Guards and Tommiys get an ability named "take aim" that is basically hit the ground and increase the accuracy of AT rifles so that they can hit infantry.
Reasons, user friendly, reduces blobbing/A moving effects (also achieved by the current one)

3) The ability is not toggle but timed
Reasons, requires some decision when to use the ability and some counter play since opponent can soft retreat and wait for it to where of. It also is more realistic since this weapon couldn't be used while holding them.
24 Nov 2018, 09:36 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post24 Nov 2018, 09:04 AMVipper

2) Guards and Tommiys get an ability named "take aim" that is basically hit the ground and increase the accuracy of AT rifles so that they can hit infantry.
Reasons, user friendly, reduces blobbing/A moving effects (also achieved by the current one)
/quote]

Love this idea, add snare to boys at sections too, so they and sappers have snare
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★