Login

russian armor

Alternate Settings for Future CoH Games

What setting would you like to see in the future of Company of Heroes?
Option Distribution Votes
49%
4%
4%
5%
31%
5%
2%
Total votes: 55
Vote VOTE! Vote ABSTAIN
10 Sep 2018, 06:03 AM

This thread is intended to gather data from the community and foster discussion about future additions to the CoH franchise. Specifically, what other settings and timelines would you like to see for CoH in the future?

Vote in the poll and support your opinions with a post below!
10 Sep 2018, 06:15 AM

Polynesian island war (company of savages), maori vs tongans vs new guineans vs samoans

lETSS GOO
10 Sep 2018, 10:10 AM
Donator 11

"WII: 1939-1945 (If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.)" Well, we never really got anything earlier than 1943 pvp wise. And I would really love to. I know coh3 is already settled, but I would love a game in 1939-40. You can even have 3 viable axis factions without copying and including japaneese that way ;)
10 Sep 2018, 10:24 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

I would say a cold-war scenario is the best place for a new CoH game. Its already done the most interesting parts of WW2, and historically accurate WW1 warfare would be a slog.

CoH's systems work would do a game in the cold-war/modern setting great justice. The destructible environments, cover mechanics, vehicle damage models and squad-ai would make it much more interesting than alot of other cold-war style RTS's. The only other cold-war RTS's I can think of off the top of my head is Command and Conquer and Act of War, both classic, arcadey style games compared to CoH.

Note; I would go for cold-war over modern if possible, due to the OP nature of post 1970's weapons.
10 Sep 2018, 10:35 AM
Donator 11

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Sep 2018, 10:24 AMLugie
I would say a cold-war scenario is the best place for a new CoH game. Its already done the most interesting parts of WW2, and historically accurate WW1 warfare would be a slog.

CoH's systems work would do a game in the cold-war/modern setting great justice. The destructible environments, cover mechanics, vehicle damage models and squad-ai would make it much more interesting than alot of other cold-war style RTS's. The only other cold-war RTS's I can think of off the top of my head is Command and Conquer and Act of War, both classic, arcadey style games compared to CoH.

Note; I would go for cold-war over modern if possible, due to the OP nature of post 1970's weapons.

The problems of cold war era are plentiful. You can see that by playing modern warfare mod for coh1. For example it is really hard to model helicopters in coh type of closed in view. It would also be hard to make something around nuclear weapons. You would get sturmtiger type of weapon, either nerf it into no use to please competitive players or give it full power for casuals. And finally, it is hard to imagine more than 2-3 factions, which is a problem as coh has the tradition of dividing factions into two parties. I'm sure there is more, these 3 just came at the top of my head.
10 Sep 2018, 10:44 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

The problems of cold war era are plentiful. You can see that by playing modern warfare mod for coh1. For example it is really hard to model helicopters in coh type of closed in view. It would also be hard to make something around nuclear weapons. You would get sturmtiger type of weapon, either nerf it into no use to please competitive players or give it full power for casuals. And finally, it is hard to imagine more than 2-3 factions, which is a problem as coh has the tradition of dividing factions into two parties. I'm sure there is more, these 3 just came at the top of my head.

I'll try to respectfully debunk this in an effort to reinforce my viewpoint. So, I'll start from the top.

It iss really hard to model helicopters in coh type of closed in view.

Why cant helicopter's just be treated as hybrid of gliders and air-support? They could be used in abilities only, as planes are currently. Some helicopters strafe with weapons, some drop-off stuff, etc. I think attack choppers would best be used as a loiter ability.

It would also be hard to make something around nuclear weapons.

Dont include them. After-all, if nuclear-weapons start to be used, then its the end of the world, right? Add one more game (series) to the cold-war rts list, the war-game games dont use them, and nobody complains there. A good way to use them would be through a campaign mission, like the V1 facility in CoH.

And finally, it is hard to imagine more than 2-3 factions

Well, I can think of must-haves for East and West.

1. America
2. EU (Not sure if should be split into separate countries or kept unified. Splitting would definitely fatten up the faction list but require alot more work.)

3. Soviet Union
4. China

There's 4 factions, equal to CoH's four. Some more could be;

5. South America (maybe some sort of union, its alt history after-all. Thinking of the Monroe Doctrine)

6. Soviet Satellite States (Same situation with the EU)

I think with a bit more thought, a really good foundation for a cold-war CoH is set.
10 Sep 2018, 11:20 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

it is hard to imagine more than 2-3 factions, which is a problem as coh has the tradition of dividing factions into two parties.

Nato and Warsaw Pact?
Look at Wargame series. They have to sides and a lot of factions. Nato can be represented by USA, UK, Germany and possibly French (i know they left NATO, but still)
Warsaw Pact can be represented by USSR, GDR, CSSR, POLAND and possibly Yugoslavia . IMO the most interesting countries.
P.S. Don't forget about Asian theatre of war. It has China, North Korea, South Korea, Japan and some other interesting countries too.
10 Sep 2018, 11:25 AM

And finally, it is hard to imagine more than 2-3 factions,

The cold war had more factions than WWII. There's the entire NATO and Warsaw Pact with countless different doctrines (army styles) per country. And there are other countries like North Korea, China, Japan, Sourth Korea, Israel, etc. In a fictional 'cold war gone hot' scenario any of the above could be included.

I personally think half way through the cold war would be an interesting setting as it is the last era (and thus being the pinnacle) of 'mechanical' warfare. Ignore nuclear weapons. Use helicopters as off-map call-ins. Ground forces would be mostly the same as WWII's but with more modern equipment.
10 Sep 2018, 11:27 AM

Nato and Warsaw Pact?
Look at Wargame series. They have to sides and a lot of factions. Nato can be represented by USA, UK, Germany and possibly French (i know they left NATO, but still)
Warsaw Pact can be represented by USSR, GDR, CSSR, POLAND and possibly Yugoslavia . IMO the most interesting countries.
P.S. Don't forget about Asian theatre of war. It has China, North Korea, South Korea, Japan and some other interesting countries too.

The thing with Warsaw pact is, it was all USSR at the end. Military gear was all soviet pretty much exclusively.
10 Sep 2018, 11:27 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Sep 2018, 10:44 AMLugie

I'll try to respectfully debunk this in an effort to reinforce my viewpoint. So, I'll start from the top.

Why cant helicopter's just be treated as hybrid of gliders and air-support? They could be used in abilities only, as planes are currently. Some helicopters strafe with weapons, some drop-off stuff, etc. I think attack choppers would best be used as a loiter ability.

Dont include them. After-all, if nuclear-weapons start to be used, then its the end of the world, right? Add one more game (series) to the cold-war rts list, the war-game games dont use them, and nobody complains there. A good way to use them would be through a campaign mission, like the V1 facility in CoH.

Well, I can think of must-haves for East and West.

1. America
2. EU (Not sure if should be split into separate countries or kept unified. Splitting would definitely fatten up the faction list but require alot more work.)

3. Soviet Union
4. China

There's 4 factions, equal to CoH's four. Some more could be;

5. South America (maybe some sort of union, its alt history after-all. Thinking of the Monroe Doctrine)

6. Soviet Satellite States (Same situation with the EU)

I think with a bit more thought, a really good foundation for a cold-war CoH is set.

Cold war is way too assimetrical, historical blocks didn't fight each other directly. So what would we have, Vietnam and Korea? Afganistán? Remember that COH franchise tries to stick to some sort of reality, I'm not confident in seing Relic inventing a war between USA and Russia.

I don't know what will be coh3 but I think that we should think about game modes and gameplay than period of war. The entire period of WW2 could be used with the appropriate game mode and design. COHO reinvented COH in its time and Coh3 should take that direction.
10 Sep 2018, 11:33 AM
Senior Modmaker Badge

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Sep 2018, 11:27 AMKatitof

The thing with Warsaw pact is, it was all USSR at the end. Military gear was all soviet pretty much exclusively.

Nope, CSSR and Poland have a lot of their own developments from modernisation of soviet staff up to their own weapons. Yugoslavia was more independent and trying to develop everything by their own.
It'still far from German or American millitary industry, but enough to make them uniq and interesting to play.
10 Sep 2018, 11:33 AM

- Operation Unthinkable: The Allies, supported by the remnants of the Wehrmacht, attack the Soviet Union and the Eastern Bloc which have a lot of German weapons / tanks / planes from the Wehrmacht and transferred by the Soviet Union.

- Caribbean crisis. a very cool time period: a lot of technology close to the Second World War, but there are early jet planes and helicopters. A lot of marine and parachute operations.
10 Sep 2018, 11:36 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Sep 2018, 11:27 AMEsxile

Cold war is way too assimetrical, historical blocks didn't fight each other directly. So what would we have, Vietnam and Korea? Afganistán? Remember that COH franchise tries to stick to some sort of reality, I'm not confident in seing Relic inventing a war between USA and Russia.

I don't know what will be coh3 but I think that we should think about game modes and gameplay than period of war. The entire period of WW2 could be used with the appropriate game mode and design. COHO reinvented COH in its time and Coh3 should take that direction.

Reality? Reality and a CoH2 single company?
10 Sep 2018, 11:55 AM

"WII: 1939-1945 (If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.)" Well, we never really got anything earlier than 1943 pvp wise. And I would really love to. I know coh3 is already settled, but I would love a game in 1939-40. You can even have 3 viable axis factions without copying and including japaneese that way ;)

ah come on you know that won't work

all that most people know about ww2 is that there are Tigers and panthers, tom hanks and normandy.

nobody would want to play with panzer 2s and 3s, already because they don't know them and that this isnt ww2 for them
10 Sep 2018, 12:08 PM

all that most people know about ww2 is that there are Tigers and panthers, tom hanks and normandy.

nobody would want to play with panzer 2s and 3s, already because they don't know them and that this isnt ww2 for them

Don't forget about Brad Pitt and Furry!
10 Sep 2018, 12:49 PM

I personally like the idea of an early to mid war game that pleases both those who like the late war tech and those who would prefer an earlier setting.

It’s fairly easy to pull off in my opinion, all you do is ensure that all of your nondoctrinal units are from the early war period and have your late war units and tech tied to doctrinal units and abilities.

Using the Wehrmacht as an example:

Core units/weapons: Pioneers/MP38 and MP40, Grenadiers/Kar98k, MG Team/MG34, Rifle grenades, both AT and HE Medium tanks/Panzer III and Panzer IV, Anti Tank Gun/PaK38
All of these things are 1940 production or earlier.

Doctrinal only: StG44, Panther, Tiger, Panzerwerfer, King Tiger, Panzershrecks, Panzerfaust, MG42.

This also allows you to introduce new units with new commanders to show the progression of the war with the life cycle of the game as DLC. You could even have the “reward unit” function from Tales of Valor where you can swap a core unit for an alternate unit if the same type. (M10 Wolverine for M18 Hellcat in ToV or in a new game Panzer III (Default WH “early war” medium tank) for a long barreled Panzer IV ( replacement “later war” mediumtank ))

This opens up lots of possibilities for player choice.
10 Sep 2018, 12:57 PM
Donator 11

You say that, but it is only russians and americans who want the ww2 to be seen as late 1941 to 1945. Pretty much all the european countries had their gratest war histories happen before that. Let me give you examples:
1. Germans - as they were considered unstoppable back then. Operation barbarossa was the begining of an end of the 3rd reich. And they were safe from genocide stigma back then.
2. British - as they were really the most important force after the germans back in 1940. Battle of britain and war in Africa are the most important parts of the war for them, as it is their empire that fights, not american army with a small addition of british forces.
3. French - becouse they were independent and on the right site back then.
4. Italians - couse they were also still independent and even though germans helped them, they still had their own campaigns and their equipment wasn't that much outdated.

The list goes on and on. You can add multiple smaller forces as well and create a game with multiple factions and playstyles. There is still room for Finland and Poland for example. There is possibility to tell the tale of USSR being german ally.

So really, not all games have to be the mouthpiece of russian and american propaganda.

I personally like the idea of an early to mid war game that pleases both those who like the late war tech and those who would prefer an earlier setting.

It’s fairly easy to pull off in my opinion, all you do is ensure that all of your nondoctrinal units are from the early war period and have your late war units and tech tied to doctrinal units and abilities.

Using the Wehrmacht as an example:

Core units/weapons: Pioneers/MP38 and MP40, Grenadiers/Kar98k, MG Team/MG34, Rifle grenades, both AT and HE Medium tanks/Panzer III and Panzer IV, Anti Tank Gun/PaK38
All of these things are 1940 production or earlier.

Doctrinal only: StG44, Panther, Tiger, Panzerwerfer, King Tiger, Panzershrecks, Panzerfaust, MG42.

This also allows you to introduce new units with new commanders to show the progression of the war with the life cycle of the game as DLC. You could even have the “reward unit” function from Tales of Valor where you can swap a core unit for an alternate unit if the same type. (M10 Wolverine for M18 Hellcat in ToV or in a new game Panzer III (Default WH “early war” medium tank) for a long barreled Panzer IV ( replacement “later war” mediumtank ))

This opens up lots of possibilities for player choice.

I really liked what they did in blitzkrieg 2. They had only a few armies, which is a bummer, but they also made each of them in 4 versions, depending on the period. When searching for a match, players could choose the period they want to search in. And even though the later periods were a bit more popular, you could still find a match in all of them if you wanted to. Coh2 actually had something similar, as original armies had their early war versions for theatre of war, but it was never polished and published for multiplayer.
10 Sep 2018, 13:10 PM

10,000,000 BC
Cavemen
Tech one: stick
Tech two: rock
Tech three: fire
Offmap: dinosaur artillery
10 Sep 2018, 13:59 PM

Korean War only has one vote....

I guess you can just play CoH2 as Soviets vs Americans and get about the same thing. Lol

But seriously, maybe not in CoH, but I think the Korean War deserves more exposure other than just MASH and the intro of Hearbreak Ridge.
11 Sep 2018, 10:59 AM

Fictional ww2 settings.

Pacific theatre. Marines vs imperial japan.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★