Login

russian armor

Range Rings for more Units

9 Mar 2018, 18:12 PM

Some units such as snipers and the OKW Flak HT have a ring that appears when selected showing their maximum range. It's a useful aid for positioning those units.

It'd also be very useful for tanks, long-range infantry squads and mortar teams. With a range ring it'd be very easy to see how close a unit has to be to fire on a specific area making long range engagements easier to manage. I could see it being particularly useful for positioning long range tanks like SU-76s and Panthers. The rings only appear on the units you have selected so they wouldn't clutter the UI.

Would increasing the number of units with range rings be worthwhile or would it create other problems I haven't spotted?
9 Mar 2018, 18:21 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Mar 2018, 18:12 PMLago
snip

I feel like this doesn't reward long-term playing with understanding the ranges of units. One big difference between a good player and average are those who understand the range of the unit pool they are using and allows them to be more effective. Adding more range rings would be similar to hand-holding less experienced players while essentially punishing long-term players who originally learned these mechanics that are given to everyone now.

I also feel like the sniper range ring should be removed, it doesn't take that long to understand the range of the snipers.
9 Mar 2018, 20:59 PM

You sort of have it already with units that can attack ground -- you can use the icon-change as an indicator for how far out they can shoot (not counting miss/overshooting).
9 Mar 2018, 21:04 PM

You can but it's fairly impractical in any fast-paced situation.
9 Mar 2018, 22:36 PM
Senior Strategist Badge
Donator 11

I feel like this doesn't reward long-term playing with understanding the ranges of units. One big difference between a good player and average are those who understand the range of the unit pool they are using and allows them to be more effective. Adding more range rings would be similar to hand-holding less experienced players while essentially punishing long-term players who originally learned these mechanics that are given to everyone now.

I also feel like the sniper range ring should be removed, it doesn't take that long to understand the range of the snipers.

There is no reason to take this information away from the player. That only seeks to make the game more difficult to get into for no reason. Because you want to force players to come to some obscure forum to learn the unit stats? They are there for the same reason the game has tooltips on veterancy. This is not an example of dumbing the game down, it's an example of good ui.
9 Mar 2018, 22:40 PM

You'd have to show the range indicator for every single model in your squad, otherwise its inaccurate and then misses its point.

One big difference between a good player and average are those who understand the range of the unit pool

I disagree, i think a good player can utilize such info well, but simply learning the numbers doesnt account for anything else than knowledge imo.

Overall such an addition would probably clutter the UI quite a bit. Lots of unique models in Squads with different weapons, selecting multiple different squads with different ranges etc.
Introduction of such a feature would not work well in a game like CoH2.
10 Mar 2018, 00:50 AM

You'd have to show the range indicator for every single model in your squad, otherwise its inaccurate and then misses its point.

If the engine can display it like it displays selection rings that shouldn't be a problem visually.

Overall such an addition would probably clutter the UI quite a bit. Lots of unique models in Squads with different weapons, selecting multiple different squads with different ranges etc.

Just tested this with the Flak HT: the game hides range rings if you select multiple units. As for infantry, how much variation is there in max range? Ideal range varies wildly but I've never seen an infantry squad be unable to fire on another infantry squad attacking it before.
10 Mar 2018, 01:41 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Mar 2018, 00:50 AMLago

If the engine can display it like it displays selection rings that shouldn't be a problem visually.

Just tested this with the Flak HT: the game hides range rings if you select multiple units. As for infantry, how much variation is there in max range? Ideal range varies wildly but I've never seen an infantry squad be unable to fire on another infantry squad attacking it before.

Selection rings are right next to the model tho, i think that does make a difference. I dont know if most weapons share the same range, or if its very individual.

In any case, keep the low rate and limited scope of patches for this game in mind, further implementations of features such as this seem very unlikely.

10 Mar 2018, 03:06 AM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Mar 2018, 21:04 PMLago
You can but it's fairly impractical in any fast-paced situation.

Yeah, I'm just saying it's an option. Though it can be crucial in some situations so as to avoid getting shot by an AT gun or emplacement or whatever else.
10 Mar 2018, 12:10 PM

In any case, keep the low rate and limited scope of patches for this game in mind, further implementations of features such as this seem very unlikely.

It's a fairly minor UI edit rather than a balance change in need of testing. I'd personally put it in the same ballpark as rotateable base buildings.
10 Mar 2018, 15:25 PM
Senior Moderator Badge

For infantry it's useless.
All infantry weapons have 35 range. This includes AT rocket weaponry.
While HTD is active, guards get a +2.5 range so they can fight models at max range. PTRS are 40 range but are not worthy on adding it.

MG already have the arc, but they have 45 range. (Vicker is basically +10 when garrisoned)

Tanks follow the rules of 40/50/60/70/80 range which minor differences been achieved through vet or special units. There could be some argument for 50/60 range vehicles.

10 Mar 2018, 15:57 PM

Why would ranges being similar make it useless? Even if all infantry units have the same range it's helpful to be able to see what they can shoot at from their current position.
10 Mar 2018, 16:02 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Mar 2018, 15:57 PMLago
Why would ranges being similar make it useless? Even if all infantry units have the same range it's helpful to be able to see what they can shoot at from their current position.

Because its something extremely easy to learn and unless you're using HMGs, ATGs or indirect fire, which already have range displayed, its completely pointless.
10 Mar 2018, 16:19 PM

Only if you can perfectly visualise the ranges. If everyone could do that why put them on anything?

Relic added visual rangefinders to several units because they're useful. I believe they'd be useful on everything, especially long range tanks.
10 Mar 2018, 16:29 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post10 Mar 2018, 16:19 PMLago
Only if you can perfectly visualise the ranges. If everyone could do that why put them on anything?

Relic added visual rangefinders to several units because they're useful. I believe they'd be useful on everything, especially long range tanks.

The fact that they added the range indicators to a few specific units indicates that it was a concious decision not to implement it on every single unit, probably to not clotter the UI and keep it clean.

Due to the nature of the game, range indicators on infantry wouldnt really account for much, as max range engagements are quite uncommon. In games like Starcraft it matters a lot more due to all the micro-possibilities, but in CoH2 there is limited usage for max-range hit and run (except for snipers).

One could argue that implementing your proposed feature in the game as an optional toggle would do no harm, and you would be correct, however i wouldnt underestimate the effort it takes to implement it in a clean and proper way.
10 Mar 2018, 16:33 PM

In the current implementation rangefinders only appear if a unit with a rangefinder is the only one you have selected. You'll never have a situation with multiple rangefinders displayed at once.

One could argue that implementing your proposed feature in the game as an optional toggle would do no harm, and you would be correct, however i wouldnt underestimate the effort it takes to implement it in a clean and proper way.

Agreed on both: a toggle would be good but it would hardly be trivial to implement at this point. Were this ever to happen it'd probably have to be like the Flak HT: it appears when you select the unit and disappears when you deselect it or select multiple units.

Due to the nature of the game, range indicators on infantry wouldnt really account for much, as max range engagements are quite uncommon.

They'd be occasionally helpful when setting up defensive positions and choosing/building cover but true, they're less useful for infantry.

Vehicles, however...
10 Mar 2018, 16:38 PM

far/mid/close can actually be very helpful. Implementing might be tricky thou.
10 Mar 2018, 17:08 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Mar 2018, 22:36 PMTobis

There is no reason to take this information away from the player. That only seeks to make the game more difficult to get into for no reason. Because you want to force players to come to some obscure forum to learn the unit stats? They are there for the same reason the game has tooltips on veterancy. This is not an example of dumbing the game down, it's an example of good ui.

Most strategy games don't show attack ranges. I think MOBAS might show the range for abilities as does COH2, and SDN44 has a manual LOS tool that measures distance. No game holds hands as far to passively show a UI arc for standard attack range for every single unit. Its not really a matter of inadequate UI and more of a just familiarize yourself with basic mechanics issue.

You don't need to study up on forums to memorize unit stats, if I've ever read any it was because I stumbled it across it by coincidence. It was more worthwhile in COH1 to learn which weapons did more damage to different soldier armor classes, but that's not even a thing in COH2. Its actually less time consuming to learn stuff through playing than studying up on and remembering details for like 80+ units. All you do is figure out which things fire far, put them behind your other units and attack move. That's all there is to it, not too much to ask a newcomer to learn. If the game must show you everything what's next, an alert to show you when your infantry are fighting superior infantry? Learning stuff like this through trial and error is just a part of every game worth playing.
12 Mar 2018, 15:39 PM

I'd be fine with such things, as long as you could toggle it off but keep the current range indicators for units that can only shoot while stationary (okw flak-trak, snipers, etc.)
16 Mar 2018, 14:28 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post9 Mar 2018, 22:36 PMTobis

============
Damn it, I don't know how to multi-quote.

I'd gladly sacrifice a virgin for such a feature. I personally don't need it as I've been
playing for years. But anything that helps newcomers understand the game rapidly, I am for.

- Agree, different ring for each model. Have it be an option, or an on/off feature.
NSD44 (Normandy Steel Division 44) has something similar (On/off)(Toggle that shows range
and shows the weapons you have and their max/effective range)
- I'd like colored rings. Like for bolt action, 33%/33%/33% red, yellow, green rings.
For SMG red would be 75%, yellow 13% and green 12% ?

- Maybe a description of on-the-move penalties? (Live Calculations)
so it becomes immediately obvious that Shermans aren't much affected by movement.
Whereas Panthers are much affected by movement.
Whereas Assault Guns (SU76, StuIIIG) are devastatingly affected (is there an extra penalty
for movement on vehicles without turrets?)

Normandy Steel Division has it. Click on starting unit, put mouse on enemy unit, and it
gives you % to hit, % to pen and it changes those values live.

I would - very - much love this in COH2.

I think of NSD44 as COH3, really.
Lots of great ideas.
AND *VASTLY* optimized <444>3

I am against ANYTHING which looks like : "Let's leave it so only old school veterans have
any idea of how the game works". I am totally into giving newcomers the tools to become better.
The more information in-game the better (relevant information, of course).

I like that WarThunder shows you color/chance to pen when you do a mouse over, and how
the armor looks. That is DEARLY needed in COH2. Most people have no idea there is only front/back

1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★