Login

russian armor

2v2 mortar pit worth it?

27 Feb 2018, 17:39 PM

so you want them to have a mobile mortar ? if so we gotta remove the aec or give ost light tank

Sure give the Ost a Panzer III, I'd even love to see that.

As far as I remember they even had voice lines for a Panzer III call in.

You also have the Puma from Mobile Defense to call in if needed.
27 Feb 2018, 21:22 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Feb 2018, 17:20 PMKatitof

Why?
OKW got all of that(ISG, puma, luchs) and they gave up nothing for it.
okw lack things too (shitty support weapon,no 4 stg on main line inf,expensive shit,no sniper,etc) but i was talking about ost cause is they are a more similiar faction to brits (great late game, tier 4 options,long range inf,etc)
27 Feb 2018, 23:47 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post27 Feb 2018, 17:20 PMKatitof

Why?
OKW got all of that(ISG, puma, luchs) and they gave up nothing for it.

He was clearly talking about Ost not OKW, and OKW cant help Ost in 1v1 games.
28 Feb 2018, 02:56 AM

Thanks for the advice Ant, I'll give it a go.

Sounds like the conclusion is that the mortar pit is very situational despite it being the only light indirect for Brits.
28 Feb 2018, 03:58 AM

very situational? its not viable at all. build sniper-AEC instead.
28 Feb 2018, 06:23 AM

He was clearly talking about Ost not OKW, and OKW cant help Ost in 1v1 games.

I know he did, I'm simply pointing out how ridiculous claim he made by factions "needing to give up stuff" to get other stuff, while he completely ignored the fact that its core coh2 design, some factions have stuff, other factions do not, but have different stuff that is very effective in its on role.
28 Feb 2018, 08:25 AM

Mortar pits are still good in 2v2 just always put them behind shot blockers. They work best vs double ost because no incendiary nades. Against double okw that already have liegs they most linely wont work unless you go royal engineers for self repair and constantly put pressure on them, brit arty flares are on good way to do this why also buying you time with the area denile. Also you should constsntly be using there barrage to vet them as fast as possible as vet 3 they get much more resiliant. Even infantry standing on cap i still use the barage as auto fire isnt as effective anymore. Also with royal engineers the flame mortar call in works great to drop on paks and liegs forces them to pull back or even wipes them. Plus avre is much better and hhe crew repairs making it a viable doctrine as brits are probably thte least doctrine dependent.

Anoher trick is to try not build them til later luling your opponet into thinking you wont build them that way they dont choose docs or tech with the best counters for them. In 2v2 if I go that route my partner always has a doct he can pick to insta counter lehf arty. You just have to have the tools to defend against counters, at gun its pretty important to counter ost flame track and ost mortar halftacks etc. vs okw or double okw esp you most likely will need a bofos or they will just super blob it. many times you can with good placement have he bofos in a shot hlocking position to protect mortar pits as well as important map points cut off, fuel, or a vp it also stops all infantry and light vehicle harrasment i take out there light vehicle rushes with it all the time as they are thinking i have no snares then they drive around the corner into it boom light vehicle insta dead. Works best baiing them to it with uc they fall for it all the time.
28 Feb 2018, 17:47 PM

It out-ranged the pit's auto barrage so I don't know.

But even with the barrage range a pit being fired on from 2 or 3 different directions won't last long, the Pit can fire at 1 target at one time.

Also since when do you play anything else besides OKW?

The thing is, immobile or not it shouldnt be surviving be attacked by 2/3 units at once from different directions. It used to be able and that was a problem.

The problem is that there is limited downside to investing in 2/3 indirect fire units to counter the pit because they will continue to bleed the enemy and possibly even wipe with 0 input from the player after the pit has fallen in the same way the pit used to. Any unit that can inflict micro and bleed on the enemy with no or next to no input from you is bad news. The fact that wipes can come from them as well is just extra bad
28 Feb 2018, 19:50 PM

If you don't put the pit too far forward the leig is not so good against it as it has to get quite out of position to fire at it. Unless they use the opel blitz reinforcement truck, this is not going to be viable as the leig does not have retreat and dies very easily for a team weapon.

It's funny how people talk about the 400mp mortar pit being expensive when it doesn't even have any manpower bleed when it is damaged, unlike other mortars in the game. This makes it VASTLY cheaper than other mortars.

Having said all that, I don't usually build a pit until the later mid-game as there is always something more important to spend manpower on in the early game. Antaria brings up a good point about using it for smoke though.

28 Feb 2018, 19:50 PM

Think it's about time you changed your sig.
28 Feb 2018, 20:14 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post28 Feb 2018, 19:50 PMRappy

Think it's about time you changed your sig.

I still like it, its a nice reminder.

On topic the mortar pit is very hard to place, but not useless. Unfortunatly its just an inherently badly designed unit that either holds the Brits back or is stupidly OP like before.
28 Feb 2018, 22:08 PM

The thing is, immobile or not it shouldnt be surviving be attacked by 2/3 units at once from different directions. It used to be able and that was a problem.

The problem is that there is limited downside to investing in 2/3 indirect fire units to counter the pit because they will continue to bleed the enemy and possibly even wipe with 0 input from the player after the pit has fallen in the same way the pit used to. Any unit that can inflict micro and bleed on the enemy with no or next to no input from you is bad news. The fact that wipes can come from them as well is just extra bad

So let's see here, it's immobile, it shouldn't be tanking as much damage as it did and now it has a smaller range, besides you paying 400 man power for 2 static smaller range mortars with abusive smoke abilities I see no more point in it to be honest, it can be easily countered now without the Brit player being able to do anything because of Brace bait tactics.

What is it good for anymore? I think the recent stats answer that question, and the answer is nothing.

There is absolutely no point in it any longer (Apart from it being OP before, and even then I was disgusted by it and only used to spam it once just for the shitz and giggles).
28 Feb 2018, 22:27 PM

For perspective of how much of a throw this unit is, its squishy, immobile and costs 400 mp to build.
400mp is around 1:30 seconds of game time.
if mortar pits dies (it will) you flushed 1:30 of the game away.
Compared to sniper, with its guaranteed kills cloak, mobility and retreat benefits, Its a MISTAKE to build mortar pit over a sniper. Don't do it. If you see a teammate do it, bitch at them.
1 Mar 2018, 00:22 AM

So let's see here, it's immobile, it shouldn't be tanking as much damage as it did and now it has a smaller range, besides you paying 400 man power for 2 static smaller range mortars with abusive smoke abilities I see no more point in it to be honest, it can be easily countered now without the Brit player being able to do anything because of Brace bait tactics.

What is it good for anymore? I think the recent stats answer that question, and the answer is nothing.

There is absolutely no point in it any longer (Apart from it being OP before, and even then I was disgusted by it and only used to spam it once just for the shitz and giggles).

How many units should it be able to fight off by itsel? Should the axis player need at least 3 indirect units to take it out?
It doesnt bleed. Its all or nothing as the axis player. If they bring it to the cusp of death but for some reason cant finish it yet you landed a single shot killing a single model you have bled the enemy more than they bled.
I would be in favour of unlimited brace if it acted like the old soviet self repair that puts a tax on MP income so it mimics bleed (and every unit you brace increases the tax, same as the old self repair) but until emplacments bleed there is no reason they should be able to fight off the whole german army by themselves.
1 Mar 2018, 02:09 AM

I think the bleed comes from the fact that as soon as you build it, you basically throw away 400mp. The axis still has all the indirect they built to take it out, and the bleed from that becomes unsustainable fast.
1 Mar 2018, 05:59 AM

How many units should it be able to fight off by itsel? Should the axis player need at least 3 indirect units to take it out?
It doesnt bleed. Its all or nothing as the axis player. If they bring it to the cusp of death but for some reason cant finish it yet you landed a single shot killing a single model you have bled the enemy more than they bled.
I would be in favour of unlimited brace if it acted like the old soviet self repair that puts a tax on MP income so it mimics bleed (and every unit you brace increases the tax, same as the old self repair) but until emplacments bleed there is no reason they should be able to fight off the whole german army by themselves.

I am not arguing or anything but doesn't repairing or trying to repair the pit also technically count as bleed? Not to mention you having to assign a Sapper unit to repair it.

And instead of having this back and forth experimentation with a broken unit in terms of balance, why not just go ahead and replace it instead? I think it would be much easier that way if I'm honest. Like I said, I've noticed that whatever you do with it it's always gonna be in this meh state where it's either over performing or under performing with a better alternative just looming around the corner which Relic doesn't seem to want to acknowledge for some reason, another example of this is the broken raketenwerfer which can just be simply replaced by a Pak 38/40.
1 Mar 2018, 06:58 AM

Question:

how much MP do you need to take out the emplacment against a same lvl brit?

under 400mp?? about 600? about 800?

the strat in this game is: invest less MP than your opponent...and you will have a much easier win.

if you build a 400mp unit which the bleed the enemy more than 410mp...its a little win for you ...
1 Mar 2018, 11:41 AM

It takes forever to repair though, so I've never experienced one surviving with a sliver of health. It gets killed in one go, or it doesn't. Two turbo mortars take out a pit pretty easily, and since they're split up and usually covered by mgs, you can't just go in and clear them. Any kind of flame attack rips through it like it's made of paper.

I'm starting to think it just isn't well designed. Make it much cheaper and have one mortar, or just give Brits a mobile mortar.
1 Mar 2018, 12:09 PM

no
1 Mar 2018, 12:14 PM

Question:

how much MP do you need to take out the emplacment against a same lvl brit?

under 400mp?? about 600? about 800?

the strat in this game is: invest less MP than your opponent...and you will have a much easier win.

if you build a 400mp unit which the bleed the enemy more than 410mp...its a little win for you ...

As ost, 480 to Counter pit 100% of the time.
As OKW 270 in addition to regular army(or however much puppchen costs).
Also, there is also area denial you forgot.
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Livestreams

New Zealand 42
unknown 40
Germany 12
unknown 2
Germany 1

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L