Login

russian armor

2v2 mortar pit worth it?

26 Feb 2018, 07:42 AM

I'm guessing since there isn't a thread, most people think it's fine as is? I hadn't played since before the DBP, but now that I've started again I notice the mortar pit seems very flimsy.

2v2 meta seems to be a game of indirect fire with double ost mortar or leig, and against such the mortar pit stands no chance. Brace is great, but it only lasts so long and has a long cooldown, and you need to be shooting back at the mortars anyway and hope you get a lucky wipe on both the opposing mortars/guns. You cant just attack their mortars because mg42, and your mortar pit is braced and therefore can't take them out...

I've seen people mention that being repairable is a big positive, but compared to before it seems to take damage easily but repair incredibly slowly.

400mp is a huge investment for something that brits need to counter blobs and mg spam early on, yet the slightest effort can take one out. I'm not asking for it to be invincible like it used to be, but it just seems not worth it now. Thoughts?
26 Feb 2018, 07:51 AM
Senior Caster Badge

Positioning is the Key. And how you use the Barrage.

Same goes for OKW Leig guns. Use the barrage to counter their indirect. Then they should reach VP's , so you can smoke the VP and deny the mg42.
26 Feb 2018, 08:17 AM

It is by far not the invincible killer anymore that it once has been, but properly placed it is still pretty nice (especially if the OKW player does NOT get LeIGs).
26 Feb 2018, 08:21 AM

They are situational. If enemy team has support weapons but lacks indirect fire they are still very good. If opponent already has two ISGs or Mortar HTs they are totally useless and just a big waste of MP. Also never build them before you can defend them properly.
26 Feb 2018, 08:31 AM

That's the thing though, i find the mortar pit necessary to survive, but it's hard countered by double indirect. Sure, if they never build mortars more great, but they'll normally have one, and once they know the pit is there they build another one.

Its the Brits only indirect, but it's almost certain to die once built.
26 Feb 2018, 08:35 AM

its the best mortar with the best price/effectiv lvl.

it cost only 400mp for double mortar (ost cost 240mp per unit) with a very high survivablity, fast reload and accurat aiming and high range.

yes .it is imobile..but if it well placed and get a little support ...it is nearly unkillable (except lategame) and bring a very good wiping squads/ kill model machine
+ it cost no manpower because no recrewing
+ has long brace
26 Feb 2018, 09:16 AM

Also the mortar pit can be put to a greater use if u have a sovjet teamm8 that has his own (non-doc) mortar. This mortar can drop flares without vet requirements. Yesterday i spotted for my ukf m8 by dropping a flare like every single minute, which is quite easy to do as sov since u usually have the ammo income for it and its only 45 ammo per flare. This spotting makes the pit so much more effective since it wont get any fow-penaltys. We actually fought off several ost mortars and isg's. later on i lost my mortar and told him to pick it up so he can spot for himself whenever he wanted, it helped a lot in our game vs the ost super mortars xD

I know it requires some teamwork and its harder to pull off with a random m8, but u will get much more out of your mortar pit if u do it like this. :thumbsup:
26 Feb 2018, 11:57 AM

Hmm, never tried that, but I'm playing with randoms and they usually have their own problems to deal with.

I still find the Mortar pit is too fragile for being immobile and so costly for two mortars stuck to each other and the only source of indirect. It's autoattack range is only slightly more than a normal mortar for some reason too.

If the enemy wants to destroy it, they can easily. Brace only seems to help vs arty barrages. Vs constant indirect it evaporates. Vs any kind of flame attack, brace won't last long enough. Why is the cooldown so long now, and why does it take so long to repair? I'd honestly rather it just decrew and be more survivable.
26 Feb 2018, 12:43 PM

After trying them out yesterday they're not worth it anymore, the Wehr GrW 34 even outranges it, I can't constantly baby sit my emplacements for shit that they're supposed to to have equal range on, not to mention that now you also have to garrison it for it to fire faster because the garrison bonus doesn't activate from the FA anymore.

No thank you, I didn't wanna play with it before because I thought it was OP and I didn't feel like it had a proper place with a more mobile British Army, now I don't think it's useful at all.

And I will keep suggesting Planet Smasher's route until whoever the fuck balances this stupid game gets it through their thick fucking skulls.
26 Feb 2018, 12:45 PM

After trying them out yesterday they're not worth it anymore, the Wehr GrW 34 even outranges it, I can't constantly baby sit my emplacements for shit that they're supposed to to have equal range on, not to mention that now you also have to garrison it for it to fire faster because the garrison bonus doesn't activate from the FA anymore.

No thank you, I didn't wanna play with it before because I thought it was OP and I didn't feel like it had a proper place with a more mobile British Army, now I don't think it's useful at all.

And I will keep suggesting Planet Smasher's route until whoever the fuck balances this stupid game gets it through their thick fucking skulls.

it has about 20more range than the ost mortar..how it can be outranges by it?
26 Feb 2018, 12:50 PM

Mortar Pit
The Mortar Pit was too efficient at locking large portions of the map compared to the minimal amount of user input required to operate it.
•Auto fire range from 115 to 90
•Barrage cooldown from 75 to 40
•Smoke Barrage no longer shares a cooldown with the main barrage and only uses one mortar
•Smoke range from 120 to 150
•Barrage reload from 4 to 3/5
•Barrage aim time from 0.5/1 to 0.125
•Garrison bonus changed from reload bonus to -25% barrage recharge
•Veterancy 1 reduces Smoke Barrage cooldown by 25%

Ost mortar gets range with vet, pit does not, however range increase applies only to Barrage range.
26 Feb 2018, 13:24 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Feb 2018, 12:50 PMKatitof

Ost mortar gets range with vet, pit does not, however range increase applies only to Barrage range.

Another nice but wrong theory from katitof.

Auto attack range for mortar-pit is 90
Auto attack for grw34 is 80

Pit out-ranges grw34

Barrage range for mortar-pit is 115
Barrage for grw34 is 80
Barrage range for vet 3 grw34 104 (grw34 the range bonus applies only to barrage)

Pit out-ranges grw34

26 Feb 2018, 13:29 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Feb 2018, 13:24 PMVipper

Another nice but wrong theory from katitof.

Auto attack range for mortar-pit is 90
Auto attack for grw34 is 80

Pit out-ranges grw34

barrage range for mortar-pit is 115
barrage for grw34 is 80
barrage range for vet 3 grw34 104 (grw34 the range bonus applies only to barrage)

Pit out-ranges grw34

So this is how it feels to have a tick on your butt.
You are starting to try waaaaaay too hard.
Point me where I said ost mortar will outrange anything.
Because the only Thing I did was to Point out range and veterancy of pit and the fact that ost mortar does get barrage range increase. I did not agreed or disagreed with quoted post, simply responded to it with facts.

If you still do not understood that, PM me and I will draw you a picture in paint.
26 Feb 2018, 13:33 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Feb 2018, 13:29 PMKatitof

Point me where I said ost mortar will outrange anything.

Here:

Katitof qoutes Ulumulu:

Katitof response to Ulumulu:

26 Feb 2018, 13:49 PM

Where I again, do not agree with him, just say a simple fact that one gets range inscrease and other do not, while providing latest changes for one.

If you REALLY want to get on my ass so badly, bring me flowers and ask me out already.
26 Feb 2018, 14:05 PM

Mortar pit is meh now and i think sniper is better choice
26 Feb 2018, 14:09 PM

jump backJump back to quoted post26 Feb 2018, 13:49 PMKatitof
Where I again, do not agree with him, just say a simple fact that one gets range inscrease and other do not, while providing latest changes for one.

your answer impiled that the ost mortar gets the same/ more range than mortar pit.
26 Feb 2018, 14:13 PM

your answer impiled that the ost mortar gets the same/ more range than mortar pit.

My answer provided you with base data and assumed you know the basic veterancy and range values for ost mortar and dont need to be spoon fed elementary level math.

If I was wrong for that, I can apologize.
26 Feb 2018, 14:16 PM

I said that the morta pit has more range...you answered that the ost get more range with vet.

how could it help the ost mortar to get more range wth vet ..if it doiesnt get more than the mortar pit? Was this a info only to the vet? not a relevant info only to say something?

your suggestion was to impled it can have the same / more range
26 Feb 2018, 14:41 PM

It out-ranged the pit's auto barrage so I don't know.

But even with the barrage range a pit being fired on from 2 or 3 different directions won't last long, the Pit can fire at 1 target at one time.

Also since when do you play anything else besides OKW?
1 user is browsing this thread: 1 guest

Ladders Top 10

• #
    Steam Alias
    W
    L
    %
    Streak
Data provided by Relic Relic Entertainment

Replay highlight

VS
  • U.S. Forces flag cblanco ★